Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

When September 7th @ 10:00am PT

Where http://www.apple.com/apple-events/september-2016/

Speculation (taken from http://www.macrumors.com/2016/08/29/apple-iphone-7-media-event/)
  • A new iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus with improved cameras, better processors, and improved water resistance, implemented through the removal of the headphone jack and the introduction of a new flush, pressure-sensitive home button
  • A new Apple Watch with better waterproofing, an improved processor, and a built-in GPS chip
  • Launch dates for iOS 10, macOS Sierra, watchOS 3 & tvOS 10.

Feenix posted:

Standardish practice has been announce on day, release 3 days before the new devices ship.

So like, announce today, phones ship on a Friday 2 weeks from now, iOS 10 releases the Wednesday prior.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

The GM seed is usually posted that day and doesn't require any provisioning to install. If you can find the .ipsw you can install it. The OTA usually comes out a few days later.

Note that there have been rare occasions when the build has changed between GM seed and OTA so you might need to reupdate.

dexter6 fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Sep 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

dexter6 posted:

implemented through the removal of the headphone jack

I hope this is a dumb rumor because it's loving stupid.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I am able to upgrade my phone finally and I'm really hoping that there is a compelling reason to pick up an iPhone 7, since right now it just seems like a iPhone 6s with the odd feature or two tossed in there to justify its existence.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Baronash posted:

I hope this is a dumb rumor because it's loving stupid.

It's not, and it is.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Is it me or everything about the 7 seems to be either:

A- everything they wanted tech wise wasn't ready for this years version

B- holding a lot of the tech for the 10th anniversary next year

C- combination of the 2

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Vintimus Prime posted:

Is it me or everything about the 7 seems to be either:

A- everything they wanted tech wise wasn't ready for this years version

B- holding a lot of the tech for the 10th anniversary next year

C- combination of the 2

Pretty much my thoughts as well. I was pretty set on upgrading this cycle too. Probably will anyway because I'm a slave to gadgets

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Virtue posted:

Pretty much my thoughts as well. I was pretty set on upgrading this cycle too. Probably will anyway because I'm a slave to gadgets

I'm really trying to stay away. Still love iPhones but Apple has slipped behind the likes of Samsung and other manufacturers with battery life, fast charging, display quality, etc. They absolutely seem to get stagnate with features we want, and introduce ones no one is really asking for. Like even thinner phones by removing the 3.5 port.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Vintimus Prime posted:

I'm really trying to stay away. Still love iPhones but Apple has slipped behind the likes of Samsung and other manufacturers with battery life, fast charging, display quality, etc. They absolutely seem to get stagnate with features we want, and introduce ones no one is really asking for. Like even thinner phones by removing the 3.5 port.

Heck, I heard you can create literal fireworks with the latest Samsung Note.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

If this isn't an indication that Apple is in a creative rut then I don't know what is.

Who gives a poo poo about a new iPhone at this point?

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

sellouts posted:

If this isn't an indication that Apple is in a creative rut then I don't know what is.

Who gives a poo poo about a new iPhone at this point?

But dooood, BIGGER EMOJI!

Yeah, other than shuffling some stuff around with the home/lock screen and finally killing off Slide To Unlock there's not much going on here with iOS 10 and the iPhone 7. Maybe I'm just not millennial enough to get excited about an update that's seemingly centered on messaging.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Honestly, no manufacturer has really advanced the envelope in several generations. Outside of faster processor and more ram, how different is the S7 series vs the S5 series? Curved screens? A fingerprint sensor? Samsung Pay?

Well....yay. I know I desperately needed Samsung/Google/Apple Pays on a screen that curves.

I mean, think about it: What feature in a new phone (any new phone) would you actually drop your current phone to the ground and run out and buy the second it was available? I can't really think of anything. I can think of improvements that I might get the next time I'm due for an upgrade - but nothing really "revolutionary".

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Probably just a significant improvement in battery life? Maybe if something like Microsoft's Continuum where I could hook up a monitor, keyboard, and mouse to the phone and have it run MacOS?

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

gret posted:

Probably just a significant improvement in battery life? Maybe if something like Microsoft's Continuum where I could hook up a monitor, keyboard, and mouse to the phone and have it run MacOS?

If this is what people want in new phones, then thank God for stagnation.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Dubstep Jesus posted:

If this is what people want in new phones, then thank God for stagnation.

It is, as evidenced by the runaway success that is Windows 10 Mobile.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
No one remembers the Motorola Atrix :(

My hot take: phone innovation is done for a while. I'm surprised they kept consumers enthusiastic for almost a decade, to be honest.

Vanellope
Mar 26, 2015

I've just got pixlexia, okay?

Arsten posted:

I mean, think about it: What feature in a new phone (any new phone) would you actually drop your current phone to the ground and run out and buy the second it was available? I can't really think of anything. I can think of improvements that I might get the next time I'm due for an upgrade - but nothing really "revolutionary".

The only thing that would make me want to upgrade would be a bigger battery. I seriously don't give a poo poo how thin the phone is anymore, it's been thin enough since the iPhone 4 as far as I'm concerned.

Other than that, I really just want changes to iOS. Specifically, I want to be able to change the default apps on my phone. Fat chance they'll ever do that, though.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Vanellope posted:

The only thing that would make me want to upgrade would be a bigger battery. I seriously don't give a poo poo how thin the phone is anymore, it's been thin enough since the iPhone 4 as far as I'm concerned.

Other than that, I really just want changes to iOS. Specifically, I want to be able to change the default apps on my phone. Fat chance they'll ever do that, though.

iOS 10'allows you to remove the stock apps in an iPhone (except necessary ones like the phone app).

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Don't care about the 7 much TBH, but I've been waiting for the AW2 since like mid-June when I gave away my Pebble to my brother because the Apple refresh should be "any day now".

iPhone stagnation doesn't particularly bother me because my iPhone6 does pretty much everything I want out of a phone. I don't play games on it, I don't use it as a computer. I use three apps: Safari, OmniFocus, Mail. And I make occasional phone calls I guess. Maybe I shouldn't be content with feature stagnation but I just can't bring myself to care that much. That saaaaid, I'm using my own 6 for work so if it turns out that there's a glorious battery in the 7 I'll get them to buy me one.

gret posted:

At this point I think this is the only thing that is going to make or break a new phone decision for me.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
The two features I would love to see in a new phone are waterproofing and wireless charging. The former sounds like it might be coming with the removal of the headphone jack; the latter is probably Apple not wanting to jump on the Qi standard for one reason or another.

And I mean, breaking the laws of physics or inventing completely different materials that significantly change the amount of energy a battery can store, but y'know, I figure that'll be a few years yet.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I would really love wireless charging built in. I think maybe upgrading to a newer stronger glass for the front wouldn't be a bad idea either.

I'm still on a 6 and am excited to just be upgrading at this point.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

gret posted:

For me, the battery life thing is a nice upgrade, but I wouldn't rush out and get a 7 for it.

And using it as a computer? You can do that with Windows 10 and you've been able to do that with Android for drat near five years. No one does it because it's terrible.

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I would really love wireless charging built in. I think maybe upgrading to a newer stronger glass for the front wouldn't be a bad idea either.

I'm still on a 6 and am excited to just be upgrading at this point.

I would definitely love to have Qi charging built in, though I wouldn't call that revolutionary. Adoption on Qi-enabled smart phones on the Android side is lackluster at best.

But in the same vein, I'd consider remote wireless charging "revolutionary". I'd probably poo poo a brick in my pants and while lined up outside an Apple store if they added that in. :v:

Edit: Sorry, adoption of Qi-enabled smart phones isn't lackluster, but actual sales of Qi-related power accessories like charging stations and mats and such is what's lackluster.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I just want a better battery life and a better graphics chip for all my games.

The better camera and stuff is already a given. I'm excited for the 7 even if I have to ditch all my wired headphones.

Vanellope
Mar 26, 2015

I've just got pixlexia, okay?

Duckman2008 posted:

iOS 10'allows you to remove the stock apps in an iPhone (except necessary ones like the phone app).

Yeah but I can't change default apps. If I remove mail.app and click an email link, it asks me if I want to reinstall mail.app. It doesn't let my choose a different app to handle those links.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I'm getting the new Plus because I love the idea of the new camera setup.

I take pictures of the sunset several times a week and the low light camera on my current 6+ is not accurate.

The headphone thing sucks though because I use 3.5mm headphones like 5 days a week, but it shouldn't be a big deal. You can control music on your phone through the Apple Watch, so I'll just keep the phone in my pocket with the 3.5mm adapter, and control it from the wrist.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

iOS 10 is really good even if it's largely just another refinement release. A lot of the app changes are really nice quality of life improvements.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

iOS 10 is really good even if it's largely just another refinement release. A lot of the app changes are really nice quality of life improvements.

This for sure with raise to wake. Reminds me of when I had the 2014 Moto X, super nice fearure to have finally come to iOS.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

I've been using Bluetooth headphones for about a year now. My headphone port never gets used anyway. I think this is one of those things that the public will initially lash out against but will be the norm in another generation or two of phones; then you'll see Samsung and others do it, too.

iOS 10 is a really nice improvement. Have been using the beta for about a month at this point and I'm so used to all the updates. Raise to wake is great. 3D Touching app icons on your homescreen offers more utility, notifications will be better, etc.

Someone mentioned not being able to change default apps, but for the most part lots of apps ask you what your preference is when opening other stuff. I use pretty much Google everything, so opening a link in Inbox bring me to Chrome, etc. I can't think of a single time where I need to tap on something that generates an email message. I also happen to hate email so I just don't do much of it anyway.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I hope the lack of current stock means AW2 will be on shelves and shipping day one :ohdear:

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Martytoof posted:

I hope the lack of current stock means AW2 will be on shelves and shipping day one :ohdear:

Hope so too. I'd say right now I am way more excited for the new Apple Watch than the iPhone 7. My wife would love for me to upgrade just so she can get my current 6S.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Work is paying for me to get the new iPhone so even though its shaping up to be a lovely stop gap upgrade that doesnt fix the shape/feel issues of the current models I dont really care as its a new phone that I get for free.

Give it some edges or make it out of metal that isnt slippery as gently caress and softer than cake.

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.

Laserface posted:

Work is paying for me to get the new iPhone so even though its shaping up to be a lovely stop gap upgrade that doesnt fix the shape/feel issues of the current models I dont really care as its a new phone that I get for free.

Give it some edges or make it out of metal that isnt slippery as gently caress and softer than cake.

I thought one of the more believable rumors was they're making the 7 out of different metal?

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Taima posted:

I take pictures of the sunset several times a week and the low light camera on my current 6+ is not accurate.

Mom?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I'm excited because I'm coming from the glorious iPhone 5c. I can't wait to have Touch ID. :monocle:

The less exciting part is that I won't be able to pre order until a day after it opens up so I'll probably never see it until November.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
So how do the "se" versions fit into each revision?

7+*
se (6s specs)

Is that how it's supposedly going to work? I can't remember how anything works what with the c, s, and se.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Sep 6, 2016

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

ufarn posted:

So how do the "se" versions fit into each revision?

7s
se (6s specs)

Is that how it's supposedly going to work? I can't remember how anything works what with the c, s, and se.
There's only been one SE so who knows. Rumors for next year's iPhone are pointing to a full redesign so "7S" wouldn't fit previous criteria, course "7" for the new one doesn't really fit either. The 5C was killed/replaced by the 5S when that moved down to the bottom of the line I think.

I wouldn't be surprised if the SE sticks around for a while, like 2-3 years before an update/replacement to fill the small phone space.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
They could name it the 7- and leave us with a 7-, 7, and 7+ to save us all the head ache.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I liked the "The new" naming scheme they did for the iPad once. They they did Airs and minis...then put numbers on those.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Christ I hope the pathetic camera bulge from the "leaked" pics isn't on it.
I also hope the mag blue one is real. I need to buy one anyway since the Mrs smashed hers up but I hope it is nice.
Ideally squared bezels again but that seems to be dead in the water. Shame but it's only a phone I suppose.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gonna quote myself from the iPhone thread:

Endless Mike posted:

From MacRumors, the current list of rumored changes (from a good source) are:
  • New, faster A10 chip (obvious)
  • Storage capacities of 32 GB, 128 GB, 256 GB
  • 3 GB RAM on 7 Plus (still 2 GB on 7)
  • Five colors - silver, gold, rose gold, dark black, piano black
  • IPX7 water resistance (this is what the Apple Watch is)
  • No headphone jack; Lighting Earpods and Lighting to 3.5mm adapter in-box
  • Earpiece is a full speaker for true stereo
  • Pressure-sensitive click-less home button with haptic feedback (similar to MacBooks)
  • Wide color display (using iPad Pro 9.7" tech)
  • Dual-lens camera on Plus
  • Upgraded rear flash with 4 LEDs
  • Upgraded proximity sensor (possible)
  • FeliCa NFC support for Japanese models
There's been some others bouncing around (including a blue color), but those are the from the best source. And that's not including any iOS 10 changes that haven't been revealed. I wouldn't say it's as minor as people have been harping, but I also don't see myself upgrading from my 6S.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I wonder how many years it's going to be before we get wireless/QI charging. So tired of these bloody cables.

• Locked thread