Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I know this is the "wrong thread" but I have heard great things about Layton (the series, not this one particular game) and that if I end up enjoying Ace Attorney I'd enjoy that too.

T/F

T, generally. They're both mysteries, but while AA is a visual novel, Layton is a collection of puzzles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

legoman727 posted:

is the DLC menu not working for anyone else? It just loads a bit and goes back to the extras menu.

Yeah, it's the same for me.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Case 1 was very fun, but I honestly enjoyed being able to examine everything again in Case 2 and get lots of character building little facts from Athena and Apollo's bickering.

Also in Case 2, that cliffhanger before the trial regarding the office legit makes me mad and pumped to take down the people responsible. And on the day after Mia's death too.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Oh man, as of the beginning of the trail of Case 2, I loving hate Sadmadhi with a passion I have not felt towards a prosecutor in this series since Von Karma. He's just so incredibly lovely to everyone. Poor Ema even started eating Snackoos again after dealing with him!

alcharagia posted:

okay like, there's strong competition, but i think that pees'lubn andistan'dhin might actually be the best name in the whole series

Agreed.

hopeandjoy fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Sep 9, 2016

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Why do I find it funny when Edgeworth threatens Gumshoe with a cut salary, but unfair and sad when Sadmadhi does the same to Ema? ...Probably because Ema is more competent but still.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

You know, I think a figured out another reason why the Khur'ain trials are so frustrating: the judge. The Japanifornia judge does prefer the prosecution, but he's much more likely to be a doofus and occasionally does come around to the player's side, sometimes to the point of shutting the prosecution down. The Khur'ain judge just loving hates you as much as everyone else and barely even concedes the points you actually get right. You don't really ever get the feeling of the trial being in your favor until literally the last second.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

So I'm on Investigation 1 of Case 5 and I CAN'T BELIEVE APOLLO JUSTICE IS loving DEAD.

(Also Dhurke is totally Apollo's bio dad. Just look at him.)

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Case 5 Day 2, late investigation: Have we learned nothing from Von Karma? Why am I showing the queen the photo? I going to lose it! Or all my evidence!

Ugh!

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Massive Case 5 day 2 Trial spoilers: .....not again Capcom.

I knew one day being a Megaman fan was going to ruin something for me.

And I had almost been crying too.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Wow that game was amazing satisfying. I am still grinning, and I finished the credits at least 20 minutes ago.

Worth every hour.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Haifisch posted:

It's hard to say what counts as "suddenly", though. Basically all of Phoenix's backstory in 3 could be viewed as "sudden", since none of it existed or was relevant before. You could argue Apollo specifically has gotten a lot of backstory that feels tacked-on(and I'd agree), but I think that's because they didn't know where to go with him after 4.

I agree with all this. There's no indication in the first or second game that Phoenix ever met Mia before he got a job working under her or that he once had a girlfriend (and it was terrible). The reason the additions to his backstory don't feel "fanfic-y" is that it's been 12 years (9 years, over here) since his backstory was expanded on. It was also only revealed 3 years (2 years for us) after Phoenix himself was introduced. It's now been normal for a long rear end time. Apollo's expanded backstory, meanwhile, is comparatively new and was not released until 6 years (for Clay) and 9 years (for Apollo's family minus his mom) after Apollo himself was introduced. Who Apollo "is" to most people is more established than who Phoenix "is" was at the time of TaT's release.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

Takumi was not involved in DD and SoJ, but he did write Layton vs and DGS.

Who wrote AAI2?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

Investigations 1 was the team of Takeshi Yamazaki, Sou Mayumi, and Yuichirou Kitaoka, while AAI2 is credited only to Yamazaki on Wiki. Yamazaki is the co-director of both 3DS games.

Edit: Also is Spirit of Justice the first subtitle in the series that is explicitly related to the content of the game? Justice for All and Trials and Tribulations are vague legal-themed terms, and I still don't know whose destinies were dual. But Spirit of Justice is all about spiritual stuff, justice, and Apollo Justice.

Eh, Justice for All might be a reference to ...And Justice for All in which a lawyer has to defend a guilty client he hates and tries to throw the trial.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I'll admit my memory is a bit fuzzy since I beat the case late last night but uh case 5 stuff: given the time period the AA games take place in, Jove woulda died in 2005. are we seriously implying that despite the fact that people knew that a famous(?) musician was one of the people who died - The judge even comments that he seemed to know who he was, that no one could punch his name into the internet and find a picture of him in 23 years? I know Kur'ain is sorta old timey but out of all the dumb stuff in AA I find that a little too absurd.

I got the impression that he was just a guy traveling with his guitar, wife, and infant son, not that he had any fame outside of Khur'ain. (Which seems to be a very small country anyway.)

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Amppelix posted:

Yeah but the script reads to me like he was supposed to be a sympathetic character and you were supposed to feel sad for him having fallen to murder in the end. But I just can't, because he's a big sexist dick who holds stupid grudges for stupid reasons and who got Ami Fey killed for basically no reason. I don't care how much you literally call him cool in the game Takumi, I'm not buying it!

Yeah, this is my feeling on the matter. I can't get invested in his hatred of Phoenix when his hatred for Phoenix has a motive that is both sexist and stupid as hell.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Sea Sponge Run posted:

I don't think Edgey swings that way

Wasn't there an actual interview where someone said Edgeworth wasn't interested in woman?

Of course, this being Japan, if there was it was probably meant in a "he's married to the job" way, not a "he's ace/gay" way.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I think I've been playing too much Ace Attorney, because that case you all are describing sounds like it would be amazing.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Calico Heart posted:

Klavier is a cool fun character. Dunno why he's so hated when he's bursting with personality and from what I remember not an outright rear end in a top hat. After playing a game where the prosecutor has all the character of a bowl of oatmeal I dunno how you all can poo poo on Klavier so much.

:same:

The air guitar and the fact I don't want to reach into my 3DS and strangle him makes up for a lot.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

chumbler posted:

I for one am the reason they keep bringing back Edgeworth. I can't help but live the guy.

Same. I enjoyed every moment he was on screen in SoJ even though he was objectively pointless.

It made ME happy though, so it was essential.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Yeah if the anime was more like the various manga with its own cases it would be better off.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I want AA7 on the Switch because it’s the console I have.

On the subject of introducing it to others, my sister was watching me play aai2 yesterday and didn’t get it. I was in the middle of a long plot conversation and she was just like “do you do anything in this game????”

Some people don’t get the appeal of visual novels I guess.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Which scene were you on?

End of the beginning of case 4 where amnesiac Kay is being arrested and Edgeworth turns in his badge because he refuses to let it happen.

It’s probably because there are like six characters who are speaking in that scene and she didn’t know or care who any of them are.

hopeandjoy fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Sep 22, 2018

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

It has Edgeworth smiling though.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

U-DO Burger posted:

I actually really enjoyed SoJ's format of having all trials last a day but having a few cases consist of multiple trials. I think it'd get annoying if all the future games were like that, but there are some cases in the older games where I realized I was going to have to investigate for yet another day and it got so exhausting

Same here. For me, having a really meaty one day investigation and trial feels better than an equal amount of content but spread over a few days.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I knew there was something fishy about him. I mean, why else would they allow him to call a parrot as a witness?

Von Karma was robbed.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I hated him but it was because he was never upset or humbled or questioned his philosophy in light of being defeated. And then I was expected to feel bad for him when his sad backstory was revealed.

...which is actually kinda how I feel about Godot so at least the reasons why I dislike prosecutors are consistent. (Though Godot is also a sexist rear end in a top hat on top of that.)

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Color Printer posted:

The problem with Nahyuta is they saved all the character development for the very end and while they made his personality a smug antagonising jackass they forgot to also attempt to make him likable outside of a few very short moments. The reveal is supposed to make this better but it ultimately feels like too little, too late.

Yeah. Blackquil’s an rear end in a top hat, but he has redeeming moments both in a “is an enjoyable character” way and in a “isn’t a completely awful person” way from his first trial.

Sad Monk is condemning you to hell constantly and never questions these beliefs when you keep proving people innocent. He has a few funny lines but overall just never lets up on his jackass-ness.

But then you get backstory dump and don’t you feel bad for him now.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

U-DO Burger posted:

I loved Nahyuta as a prosecutor because he was objectively a horrible person and it felt good to make him eat poo poo

That would feel better if he acknowledged that I just made him eat poo poo.

As opposed to continuing from trial to trial telling everyone they’re going to Hell just the same as his first appearance.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

SardonicTyrant posted:

I like how Edgeworth is like "I've had an epiphany Wright, and I'm going to teach it to you" at the start of Justice for All's last case, and then he just spends the whole trial loving with Phoenix.

It’s rude to judge what foreplay works for other people.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I enjoy the fact that between the end of AA3, the Investigations games, and Phoenix’s disbarment that Edgeworth had a Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Month.

hopeandjoy fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jul 13, 2019

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

This is almost as bad as Danganronpa translating "yen" to "dollars" but keeping the numerical values the same. Nevermind the oddity of Japanese students using dollars anyway.

God the official translations for that series annoy me.

Why would they do that in a game about Japanese people set in Japan.

There are times to localize currency, but that’s not one. (I say in the Ace Attorney thread.)

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Tesseraction posted:

To be honest though Godot's redemption is just going "okay yeah I set up an elaborate plan to be the hero that backfired and killed Maya and Mia's mother and made another woman take the (DEATH PENTALTY) fall for it while I gleefully prosecuted her all so I could be the hero. *knocks head* tehe~"

“Also I hate you Trite because you weren’t MAN enough to prevent Mia’s violent death.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Also it’s the first time they are developing for HD on large screens to begin with, instead of HD on small screens (phone) or remasters.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

It's silly but it's silly with history.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Yeah, it's just dialog changes and some minor puzzle changes to make the puzzles make sense for the changed setting (for example, one changes the time zone between Tokyo and New York to LA and Paris, another changes a puzzle related to which side of a car is driver vs passenger), so you end up with things like a tiny rural Japanese village in the Sierra Nevada and a guy who's a weeb obsessed with samurai who watches Rakugo plays in LA.

It's great.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

https://twitter.com/PaulyKoaly/status/1375903653589028866?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Amppelix posted:

this is so long removed from the present day games that the wright family would have time to move to like five other countries before settling to america by the time of them, so i don't think it's much of an immersion problem really

Also “Phoenix Wright is Japanese-American” is the obvious and easy localization choice, especially given that the explanation from the localization team for Japanifornia is “there was more Japanese immigration to California and the immigrants were more accepted than in reality”.