Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
I don't think it'll be this year, but Vance Joseph definitely is someone who should be getting a crack at a head coaching job in the near future.

The Dolphins defense isn't great by any means, but I don't think I've seen as many coaching jobs as good as Joseph this year. People talk about fitting the scheme to talent, but most guys just deviate a little bit from an orthodoxy. Joseph is pretty much implemented a scheme whole-cloth that has little to do with any of what he's coached under. He's basically put together a cover-3/zone blitz scheme behind a wide-9 front, and it's a whole hell of a lot different from the stuff you'd expect he would have picked up off of Wade Phillips, Mike Nolan, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Diva Cupcake posted:

RapSheet and Cimini are saying Kacy Rodgers is safe and likely to take on full-time playcalling instead. So it looks like Gailey, Peppers, Danno, and maybe Collins out.

That seems like a really weird solution- Kacy Rodgers becoming a DC in the first place only really made sense under Bowles because he could be more of an assistant than a guy designing and callling a scheme. He's a career DL coach.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Is there any update or rumors about Vic Fangio? Gase apparently is a big fan and I'm hoping he can replace Vance Joseph if it comes down to it.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

I'm suspicious that this wasn't what Adam Gase and Mike Patricia were talking about with covered mouths after the Dolphins/Patriots game last week, as Gase had a pretty hosed up interview process with the 49ers

https://streamable.com/l21gp

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

swickles posted:

What was his interview process like?

whoops didn't read it was already answered

Ammanas posted:

This was Adam Gase letting Patricia know Miami is about to have a DC position open...

Only way would be his contract being up, as far as I know.

Hamhandler fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jan 9, 2017

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

I think if Denver doesn't offer him the job there's a good chance he's back in Miami next year. San Diego might be tempting, but I think the window with Rivers is going to be a bit daunting for a guy who is going to have to concede offensive control to someone.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Miami's D was a huge let down this year which has a lot to do with injuries/talent, but I am also wondering if this is really that huge a setback for us despite that fact. Bottom line is that under VJ our D sucked.

I think when your points allowed and 3rd down conversion rate dramatically outperforms your talent level like you did, it's a sign of good coaching.

Hell, just watch how many times the Dolphins managed to spot-drop guys into key situations over the course of the year. poo poo like the Kiko Alonso INT vs. SD to seal the game are signs of good coaching.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

a neat cape posted:

Gus Bradley has announced that the Chargers will be switching to a 4-3

It's not really going to be a huge change- that 4-3 Under front that Bradley runs is a lot like a 3-4 defense. If anything you're adding more specialized 3-4 elements, there's more 2-gap elements in that Bradley defensive scheme than there are in John Pagano's front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

a neat cape posted:

I admittedly don't know a lot about defensive schemes. I just hope he allows Bosa to own

You can pretty much put Bosa in the same position in either defense if you want.

• Locked thread