Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
kinda seems like a lot of the injuries are from falling over - has nobody thought about wearing a goddamn seat belt???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

heres a wild idea

~~~ quarantine measures ~~~

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

"this breaks about 20 starfleet regulations" - the head engineer

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Regulations are for planet walkers

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Federation OSHA inspector: Are you sure you want to store mini photon torpedoes directly underneath all consoles?

Admiral dumbass: yes why would we not

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

The orb of infinite destruction you cannot contain???

beam it aboard!!

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
The star trek mod molested a child. Wheter or not the mods knew is subject of much debate

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

look when your sickbay can basically cure anything you can ignore safety rules

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
You also can't sue anyone when nobody has any money.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I bet they had currency, Kirk was stiffing that lady on the bill. Just how he rolls

STOP LITTERING
Sep 11, 2005

Bert Roberge posted:

look when your sickbay can basically cure anything you can ignore safety rules

Or just reboot the injured person's body with the transporter.

On that note why are there any sickbays or doctors in the first place?

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Corny Cornflake posted:

Or just reboot the injured person's body with the transporter.

On that note why are there any sickbays or doctors in the first place?

Seriously store that dude in the computer they can all be cannon fodder.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

proposed regulation: stop hiring engineers from the united kingdom

Two Free Toppings
Jul 1, 2007

SUCK
THE
SHIT
OUT
OF
MY
OWN
ASSHOLE
The only Star Trek I've seen is part of deep space nine and they straight up use gold bars for money. Like the little dude who owns the bar makes like dozens of gold bars a day. What is this 'no currency' bs?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Peebla posted:

The only Star Trek I've seen is part of deep space nine and they straight up use gold bars for money. Like the little dude who owns the bar makes like dozens of gold bars a day. What is this 'no currency' bs?

Outside the federation, money is still used. Quark + almost all ferengi are not in the federation, bajorans aren't cardassians aren't, and there are others but thats a major intersection of parties only one of which is a post-scarcity economy

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

oops bajor is federation sorry im not super into star trek except ds9 but its been w hile

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
Real Star Trek would be me sending my transporter duplicate off to work while I go to the holodeck and bang some half Klingon half Noomi Rapace hermaphrodite salt vampire.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Peebla posted:

Gold was just the casing it was actually latinum which couldn't be replicated. :spergin:

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
Or I'd go to the holodeck and play Farscape so I could be in a better show

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

what did latinum actually do though. what good is non-replicability if the main purpose of it is currency in an ecnonomy where most needs are easily summoned at will

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

hemophilia posted:

what did latinum actually do though. what good is non-replicability if the main purpose of it is currency in an ecnonomy where most needs are easily summoned at will

same deal as the US dollar really

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

hemophilia posted:

It stacked really securely. It's basically space Legos.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

EngineerSean posted:

same deal as the US dollar really

Makes you think.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

"I advise against that captain"

"noted"

a whole buncha crows fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Sep 11, 2016

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

hemophilia posted:

Why did the Cardassians have slaves? People are dicks.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Facebook Aunt posted:

Because the Bajorans were assholes. Enslaving them was the best thing you could do for them.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Facebook Aunt posted:

The clumsy space zion/space nazi metaphor wouldnt work without it man

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo

hemophilia posted:

Only idiot coddled humans had fake space communism, the other races had need for currency. Also the Fed definitely would have a need for currency of sorts - who gets the best spot on the hill etc.?
Favours and whatever must be endemic. Oh your brother-in-law is on the committee deciding who gets to fart around in a massive vineyard in France and who lives in an apartment in Detroit, what if I get him a reservation at Sisko's restaurant, will he hook me up with a ski lodge?

Millions of Crows
Mar 31, 2010

take a look overhead

Frankenstyle posted:

Or I'd go to the holodeck and play Farscape so I could be in a better show

If you ran Star Wars sims in the holodeck would it implode?
Star Wars is too fun for the star trek universe to contain.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Wowbagger2004 posted:

Only idiot coddled humans had fake space communism, the other races had need for currency. Also the Fed definitely would have a need for currency of sorts - who gets the best spot on the hill etc.?
Favours and whatever must be endemic. Oh your brother-in-law is on the committee deciding who gets to fart around in a massive vineyard in France and who lives in an apartment in Detroit, what if I get him a reservation at Sisko's restaurant, will he hook me up with a ski lodge?

Well, there's a galaxy full of planets, the more earth-likes in federation control, the more vineyards they can give to whoever wants one, at that point needing or wanting to live on a nice place on earth becomes trivial and petty and probably more or less based on if you do something important on earth

the thing about star trek is it assumes humanity rises above some poo poo we currently accept as fundamental but lovely, rising above what christians would call original sin, the in-born shittiness of humanity. if you talk about star trek outside those terms you're not really talking about star trek anymore

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

trap loving sprung

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

kill the nerds

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer

Homer J. Fong posted:

Federation OSHA inspector: Are you sure you want to store mini photon torpedoes directly underneath all consoles?

Admiral dumbass: yes why would we not

97 times out of 100 when an admiral shows up on any Star Trek show their primary function is to force everybody into doing something stupid, unethical, or both. You'd really think Starfleet would have a lot more mutinies.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

hemophilia posted:

Its main value was that it couldn't be replicated and thus was a stable thing to base a currency on.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i only like DS9 so i don't feel outed or trapped bicht

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
if there are no deaf people, retarded people or crippled people in the star trek universe, is that erasure?

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

That Robot posted:

if there are no deaf people, retarded people or crippled people in the star trek universe, is that erasure?

it's just Eugene Roddenberrygenics

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

The Cubelodyte posted:

97 times out of 100 when an admiral shows up on any Star Trek show their primary function is to force everybody into doing something stupid, unethical, or both. You'd really think Starfleet would have a lot more mutinies.

Admiral Black Guy was a good admiral.

Admiral Menopause was hit and miss.

Admiral White Guy was universally bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Seatbelts are an affront to most Federation races

That Robot posted:

idk but if we could cure all those people would it really be so bad?

• Locked thread