Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
The one cool thing I remember from my one FMA style knife/stick fighting lesson is to aim to cut under the arm pit of the dominant hand so that you simultaneously disable your opponent and cause a pretty grave wound. The associated drill we did was actually a whole lot like Wing Chun drills. Anyway I think that and much more importantly "never get in a knife fight" is enough knife fighting knowledge for one lifetime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
First bjj tournament trip report! I did the Good Fight Winter Open. Submission only, gi and no gi. I’ve only got partial video for the fourth match for now, so the rest are my fuzzy recollections. This is long but hopefully mildly amusing. I’m a blue belt, male 145 lbs.

Match 1 (gi) - My first attempt at organized athletic competition since childhood little league about 18 years ago. I start fighting for grips and fall down somehow into half guard. I make a known mistake that I had just been working on a week ago - grab a lazy underhook out of habit and get darced in 33 seconds. Welp.

Match 2 (gi) - More composed this time. Lots of gripfighting, I struggle with his stiffarming despite my reach advantage. We both have partial success with some trips, I end up on my knees and jump closed guard. I get a hand in the collar, but as I waffle between trying to lock up the cross choke or work a scissor sweep series, he starts to pass and I end up ¾ mounted fighting off an americana. I extend my arm, he goes for the straight armlock, and I somehow end up on top, still in an armbar but stacking successfully. He spins under and goes belly down, I fail to step over, get stuck and tap.

Match 3 (no gi) - Same guy as match 2. Again we take our time working on the feet. I get the two on one control I want, but it doesn’t work out. He ends up shooting and I sprawl my way to a front headlock. I look for chokes but can’t find openings. I spin to his back. Still keeping a super tight turtle with no obvious openings to seatbelt. I reach into his far leg to start working a spiral ride as my choking arm tries to tighten up around his neck. I start to expose his back and think about getting the lower hook,but in the transition he snatches up a quick kneebar that I did not see coming at all. Yowch.

Match 4 (no gi) - My longest match by far. Some gripfighting - once I get close he sits guard. I start to pass but end up in closed guard. Lots of fighting over posture. Things are very slippery as I struggle to break open his guard, he repeatedly breaks my posture and I struggle back up. Eventually I create some space and over/under stack pass, but he does a great job with framing and I’m never quite able to settle my weight on him. He straightens out as I stand up and try a backstep pass. He gets on top and stands up for a sec before I tripod sweep him back down. He starts to recompose, and I get a good grip on his ankle. In my biggest regret of the day, instead of falling back for the straight ankle lock, maybe my best sub, I hesitate and stare at him for a moment as he pushes his foot through and closes his guard. Sonofabitch. He goes for an armbar, it’s close but I escape and start to pass again. This time my foot gets snatched up in half guard. I get a kimura grip, get excited, forget about my foot and try to finish from a north south-like position while sitting on my butt with my foot still stuck. Obviously he pops right up, I try a brief bullshit armbar from the bottom then recompose my guard. Now I’ve got him in my seated butterfly, one of my better positions, but I don’t get a good grip and he sits right back down. I come up right away and nearly mount him, but he bumps, I get an overhook and we both stand up. We gripfight and he sits down again, I dive in with a knee slide as he does, a scramble ensues. I end up mounted and he goes for an s-mount armbar, but I get my knee in to shut it down. I come up, nearly pass again, but get caught again in closed guard. Tired and little frustrated I quickly get triangled and tap.

So, a rough day competitively speaking, but I’m pretty satisfied for a first try. Every match was different, and I did progressively better as they went along - starting with getting stomped, to intelligently defending before getting caught, to starting to attack, and finally a good back and forth match that I feel I could’ve won with a clearer head. I’ve got lots of specific things to work on now. Planning on competing again in February, so I’ve got a pretty nice blueprint for my development from now til then. Also had fun and bonded with my teammates a lot. In that regard, great success.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Is there a reason different grappling orgs schedule their competitions for the same day? I'm torn three ways between Good Fight in Nyack NY, Grappling Industries in Manhattan, and NAGA in Philly all on Feb 4th. Then besides one UAEJJF event later in the month I haven't heard of anything in the area for months after that.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Question, thread.  Is it fair to say that being in decent running shape is a prerequisite to any kind of physical self defense? Once or twice recently I’d had friends who were curious ask to what extent self defense is a real thing and what someone can actually learn without training martial arts regularly. My stock answer is running, which makes people mad. So I try to expand - that there’s not one simple trick to disable a larger attacker, that martial arts are hard and take serious commitment to use effectively, and that situational awareness  and conflict avoidance are way more important life skills than knowing how to fight. This is also not so much what people want to hear. In terms of actual techniques, I feel the only real thing worth showing people is some tips to break wrist control or possibly a collar grip break. But then I have to clarify that, beyond verbal de-escalation, breaking someone’s grips is only even potentially useful at all insofar as they can outrun their attacker, which if you’re speaking to a not very fit non-cardio doer, is to say that it’s not useful at all and they’re totally hosed no matter what. Is it an oversimplification to break it down to fight or flight like that? Self defense classes seem to be getting more popular lately, but I have no idea what they actually teach. Is the whole concept nonsense? 

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

CommonShore posted:

I've taught and helped design a few self-defense seminars for teenagers. I go with the fatherdog classic:

Situational Awareness > Deescallation > sprint > grappling+striking > grappling > striking

And fighting usually looks like stand up, clear clinch, create space, run away, in that order, while making shitloads of noise, which includes the note for teenage girls that often shrieking sounds like laughing because girls squeal like that when they're having fun, at least often enough that it can be ambiguous to a listener. The only strikes I teach are elbows and kicks to the junk.

Right, I mean I've heard it broken down that way before. I guess, I get how that works in terms of relevance, that each notch down is less applicable and useful for a self defence situation than the previous. And it makes sense for people who train. For people who don't though train or run though, it effectively becomes

Situational Awareness > Deescallation > nope > going back in time and training for several years

Like, I think when most people think of self defense they imagine the plan as 1) try to deescalate 2) physically resist and free myself or briefly incapacitate with a groin strike or elbow 3) scene missing 4) safety

Either you cause substantial damage such that the person stays down, which takes being a martial artist, or you get a brief opportunity to outrun them, which takes being a runner. Among the people interested in learning self defense the audience is probably next to none from column A and not necessarily many from column B either.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
I guess I'm thinking of it too much in the worst case scenario of a large man determined to attack a small unathletic woman when what self defense really usually is, and rightfully so, "how to not participate in fights"

E: though then I'm not sure if groin strikes and poo poo have any place at all

Pryor on Fire posted:

Just loving run, you're probably not getting chased unless someone has a grudge.

Like, I can't imagine something that would forge a personal grudge more quickly than someone trying to smash me in the balls

Decades fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Feb 23, 2017

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
I support merged gi grappling with points for all sorts of wacky things on the condition that no gi sub only becomes a real sport

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
I returned to class yesterday after blowing out a finger tendon a month ago. Felt pretty anxious just walking in the door. My PT friend who had gone through a similar injury was there and convinced me not to grapple til the splint is off though, so I stuck to Art Jimmerson style striking. Not the most satisfying thing but still good to be back in the atmosphere at least.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
A visiting guy I didn't know came to class the other day and a couple rolls in my friend mentions the new guy is really good. I'm doing pretty well that day so next round I head straight for him. Turns out he was really good. Still though I'm real intent to hold my own, and at least not get tapped. Certainly not to something dumb, like a no gi ezekial. [Scene missing] And that's the story of how I got choked out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
I think it started with me on the bottom in a sort of smashed half butterfly position, then I got on top for a bit but he kept the grip real tight and I wasn't able to do much to his hands, then I think at the end I got swept back and finished under mount.

ICHIBAHN posted:

Could get it from failed arm triangle if partner maneuvers to their side.

Yeah no much less reasonable situation than this unfortunately

Decades fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Aug 24, 2017