Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.
I really hope there's a group of townies standing wristlocking and throwing people every time they get drunk on the town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

You're going to spend more time on your feet doing throws in judo.

Okay perfect that's exactly what I'm looking for then! Thanks.

kimbo305 posted:

Is this a hypothetical, or have some aikidoka been causing trouble at your bar?

No that was just hypothetical. No ones been sober enough to perform something as technical as that against me. The reason I used it as an example was because I worked with a guy that fought/trained MMA and was also a bouncer. He showed me how to execute a sort of wrist lock against someone when they lunge for your hand. It stuck with me because he showed me how to execute it with me as an example, and it completely immobilized me. He's about half my size and weight so if he can do it I'm sure someone else could!

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Dennis McClaren posted:

Okay perfect that's exactly what I'm looking for then! Thanks.

No that was just hypothetical. No ones been sober enough to perform something as technical as that against me. The reason I used it as an example was because I worked with a guy that fought/trained MMA and was also a bouncer. He showed me how to execute a sort of wrist lock against someone when they lunge for your hand. It stuck with me because he showed me how to execute it with me as an example, and it completely immobilized me. He's about half my size and weight so if he can do it I'm sure someone else could!

I mean if you get in a fight with someone who trains in MMA even semi-seriously you're going to get your rear end kicked, and it isn't because you don't know how to defend a wrist lock. But judowns and will absolutely make you much more calm and capable during a physical confrontation. It'll also make you realize that if you throw an untrained person onto a surface that isn't a mat they're going to be horribly maimed at best and it's probably something you don't want to do.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Aug 7, 2017

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Judo is great. Yeah it's a "throwing art", but practicing controlling your opponent's movement, posture, and balance while maintaining your own in order to setup the throws is super useful, even if you don't intend on dumping somebody on their head.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

kimbo305 posted:

Is this a hypothetical, or have some aikidoka been causing trouble at your bar?

Of course its hypothetical, aikidoka dudes can't actually do anything outside of the fake fighting they do in the gym, their stuff doesn't work irl.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

So I've been taking goju ryu karate lessons for about a month now, and have really been enjoying it. It's a very good group of chill people, and nobody feels like they're trying to prove something. I'm a pretty small person, and it's really interesting seeing how differently things work for me versus for big guys.

Does the amount of general bruising decrease as time goes on? Or should I just embrace not caring if I want to wear summer clothes ever again?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

BadSamaritan posted:

So I've been taking goju ryu karate lessons for about a month now, and have really been enjoying it. It's a very good group of chill people, and nobody feels like they're trying to prove something. I'm a pretty small person, and it's really interesting seeing how differently things work for me versus for big guys.

Does the amount of general bruising decrease as time goes on? Or should I just embrace not caring if I want to wear summer clothes ever again?

reduces over time.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

BadSamaritan posted:

Depends.

Are you more doing this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEW44hhUkqI

or this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBrWIfIbX-A

The second will probably leave bruises on you somewhere, the first should not.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

That place is beautiful. Looks a little bigger than my gym.

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Aug 8, 2017

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

KildarX posted:

Depends.

Are you more doing this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEW44hhUkqI

or this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBrWIfIbX-A

The second will probably leave bruises on you somewhere, the first should not.

That first one looks very... slappy. I'm pretty new and they're not having me do any sparring yet, but the second video looks much closer to what I see the seniors at the dojo doing (though at a higher intensity). That being said, my pale goon flesh is probably just unused to our conditioning exercises and I'll just have to deal for the time being.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
No Judo classes on till the end of summer.... what the gently caress is this poo poo.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
There's a pregnant girl at the gym right now just destroying a heavy bag. I need to stop being so lazy.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
She's drilling for two.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

BadSamaritan posted:

I lived in a silly martial arts boarding school in a forest for a year some years ago, training gojuryu for most of it. The bruising definitely decreases, but more importantly, you'll become conditioned to all the hurty warm-up stuff while newcomers will be like whoa my forearm is going to break.

I'm a bit surprised by the grappling aspect of the kumite video posted. We very rarely did grappling, and when we did, it was the most hilariously incompetent "ok, just do stuff! pinch the other guy if he's stalling!" type of training. A friend and I, both with little martial arts training at the time, were able to outgrapple our black belt instructors by way of watching BJJ instructionals, which opened my eyes to how flawed and 'magical' parts of gojoryu is.

I was pretty bad at it, though. Retreating and attacking people with nothing but low kicks so as to not get hit was apparently not in the spirit of the art.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

There's an irish lady at my gym who has been pregnant for at least four years now, joke write self etc

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Pryor on Fire posted:

There's an irish lady at my gym who has been pregnant for at least four years now, joke write self etc

role models

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
How do Judo gis compare to BJJ gis? I have a few BJJ gis and I'm thinking about giving Judo a try. Mostly curious if I can use my BJJ gis for Judo.

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

mariooncrack posted:

How do Judo gis compare to BJJ gis? I have a few BJJ gis and I'm thinking about giving Judo a try. Mostly curious if I can use my BJJ gis for Judo.

Judo gis are roomier overall and have less bullshit on them. Most judo places won't have a problem with you wearing a bjj gi, though you might catch some poo poo for the tight bjj sleeves.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

sivad posted:

Judo gis are roomier overall and have less bullshit on them. Most judo places won't have a problem with you wearing a bjj gi, though you might catch some poo poo for the tight bjj sleeves.

We give people more poo poo for the NASCAR looking gis that some guys come in our club with. Extra points for the camo or "themed" gis.

You just need feel the pain of being locked in a grip from the tricep a few times before you start to consider a Judo Gi.

Kamel
Apr 23, 2010
I've been working my way through both this and the boxing thread and decided that I am not adverse to getting punched and/or grappled. I feel like I'm stalling trying to find a decent gym. I'd like something at least semi-serious, but I'm not really sure how to gauge instructors or how much I should be paying.

Anybody know a decent place in the west Chicago suburbs? Am I over thinking this?

Kamel fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Aug 15, 2017

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Kamel posted:

I've been working my way through both this and the boxing thread and decided that I am not adverse to getting punched and/or grappled. I feel like I'm stalling trying to find a decent gym. I'd like something at least semi-serious, but I'm not really sure how to gauge instructors or how much I should be paying.

Anybody know a decent place in the west Chicago suburbs? Am I over thinking this?

I haven't trained here myself but my instructor got his black belt here:

http://viannabrothers.com/

I have no idea if that's close to you though. You're in Chicago so there's probably plenty of places to go. I would call a few places and see if any fit in your schedule.

If you don't get a good vibe from the phone call, you don't have to go. If you don't get a good feeling after the first class or first few classes you don't have to go back either.

Rates are going to vary city to city. Ask for the price when you first call.

madjdmyo
Jan 10, 2007
Is anyone from the Oklahoma City area? I'm looking to start training in Judo or BJJ and I've googled around and the highest rated one was at LOVATO'S SCHOOL OF BRAZILIAN JIU-JITSU & MIXED MARTIAL ARTS (http://okbjj.com/). Has anyone has any experience with it or could recommend me another school? Probably a long shot.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

madjdmyo posted:

Is anyone from the Oklahoma City area? I'm looking to start training in Judo or BJJ and I've googled around and the highest rated one was at LOVATO'S SCHOOL OF BRAZILIAN JIU-JITSU & MIXED MARTIAL ARTS (http://okbjj.com/). Has anyone has any experience with it or could recommend me another school? Probably a long shot.

Rafael Lovato Jr. is a very famous BJJ and MMA guy and a world champion, arguably the greatest American BJJ player ever. Go train with him :yeah:

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
+1 its hard to find many Americans with Lovato's pedigree.

My friend trained there for a bit and it sounded like its def a competition focused gym. Intense warmups, lots of drilling and dudes who are very serious about the sport. However, he said the instruction was great, people were nice and it was intense but not assholes if that makes sense so def go and try it.

My friend is a brown belt too so IDK if they go slower in the white belt section.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Can anyone recommend shin guard and gloves for muay thai? I was going to go with Hayabusa, is that a safe bet?

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.
I would love to train at Lovato's

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

spiralbrain posted:

Can anyone recommend shin guard and gloves for muay thai? I was going to go with Hayabusa, is that a safe bet?

I prefer shinguards that have a strap that folds over onto itself, like this:
https://www.hayabusafight.com/collections/shin-guards/products/t3-striking-shin-guards?variant=43222474636
The other two models they sell seem to be overly complicated in the back, and presumably wouldn't work for as many calf shapes.

Kamel
Apr 23, 2010

mariooncrack posted:

I haven't trained here myself but my instructor got his black belt here:

http://viannabrothers.com/

I have no idea if that's close to you though. You're in Chicago so there's probably plenty of places to go. I would call a few places and see if any fit in your schedule.

If you don't get a good vibe from the phone call, you don't have to go. If you don't get a good feeling after the first class or first few classes you don't have to go back either.

Rates are going to vary city to city. Ask for the price when you first call.

Thanks, but I'm like an hour out from the city so that's a bit of a stretch. I'll just start working my way through the local places. They should have the 1st class free, right?

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Pretty much any place will give you at least one free class. Try before you buy, guy.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
I finally got to class after bitching that I'd lost motivation to train in this thread a while back, did some Muay Thai and some boxing it was awesome! I was slow and gassed out quickly but somehow I seem to have more power in my legs and arms.

Next week back to grappling

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Anyone got any tips on how to stop yourself from breathing from the mouth when you are fighting exhausted? I find myself doing this since I started back into Judo again after 9 months and it is gassing me out faster than if I breathed though my nose. My training partners are picking up on this as well because I stop breathing when I am about to do something and they capitalize on it every time. The mouth guard doesn't help this either but I rather not get a tooth knocked out of my mouth from someone punching me in newaza.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I think this is one of those instances where the answer is "just train." I tend to bite down on my gum shield to stop myself from slobbering air in through my mouth. I think learning your breathing is something that just comes with time, I've certainly seen a change in how I breathe when exercising over the last year of training. Timing and stuff should just come to you.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

You can practice breathing whenever. In through the nose, hold for a bit, out through the mouth, hold for a bit. Once that doesn't make you uncomfortable, start working it into your drills.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

I prefer shinguards that have a strap that folds over onto itself, like this:
https://www.hayabusafight.com/collections/shin-guards/products/t3-striking-shin-guards?variant=43222474636
The other two models they sell seem to be overly complicated in the back, and presumably wouldn't work for as many calf shapes.

Thanks for the recommendation!

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

Anyone got any tips on how to stop yourself from breathing from the mouth when you are fighting exhausted? I find myself doing this since I started back into Judo again after 9 months and it is gassing me out faster than if I breathed though my nose. My training partners are picking up on this as well because I stop breathing when I am about to do something and they capitalize on it every time. The mouth guard doesn't help this either but I rather not get a tooth knocked out of my mouth from someone punching me in newaza.

Relax while you're doing your techniques? Ryan hall really hammers that point home a lot when it comes to training, I'm not sure about during sparring but I find myself doing better being relaxed against nervous guys. I'm coming from a bjj background but I think it might work for you.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
A visiting guy I didn't know came to class the other day and a couple rolls in my friend mentions the new guy is really good. I'm doing pretty well that day so next round I head straight for him. Turns out he was really good. Still though I'm real intent to hold my own, and at least not get tapped. Certainly not to something dumb, like a no gi ezekial. [Scene missing] And that's the story of how I got choked out.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Decades posted:

A visiting guy I didn't know came to class the other day and a couple rolls in my friend mentions the new guy is really good. I'm doing pretty well that day so next round I head straight for him. Turns out he was really good. Still though I'm real intent to hold my own, and at least not get tapped. Certainly not to something dumb, like a no gi ezekial. [Scene missing] And that's the story of how I got choked out.

Not to laugh at you, but in what position did he catch the Ezekiel? Just last night my buddy and I were talking about no-gi Ezekiels and where and when to go for them. (He was going for them from offensive positions in an attempt to get the tap; I go for them as a distraction to allow me to gain something positional elsewhere, or as a defense to a straight armbar in guard)

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Could get it from failed arm triangle if partner maneuvers to their side.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
I think it started with me on the bottom in a sort of smashed half butterfly position, then I got on top for a bit but he kept the grip real tight and I wasn't able to do much to his hands, then I think at the end I got swept back and finished under mount.

ICHIBAHN posted:

Could get it from failed arm triangle if partner maneuvers to their side.

Yeah no much less reasonable situation than this unfortunately

Decades fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Aug 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
ShowTheArt invitation tourney up in NJ is streaming live:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gIe-7DZEWM

Started at 12:30, they're doing the girls tournament first then men's.

e: mens just started

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Aug 26, 2017