Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SnatchRabbit posted:

Funny you mention takedowns. I do have some TD and TDD training from my striking experience. My question is, will the ref hit you for stalling in the stand-up phase if you are moving around your opponent, fighting off grips/takedowns but still taking shots, etc?

Also if you are not planning on pulling guard, or even if you are really, practice having a partner pull guard on you with the goal of not going down into the closed guard. Lots of white belt matches are just two guys yanking each other around for like 30 seconds until somebody gets frustrated and pulls guard. Being in a position to start passing right away is way better than defending then fighting for posture then trying to break guard then starting to pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Subyng posted:

Anyone have any idea why I might be getting elbow soreness from training? It's not from armbars or any other kind of elbow lock.

MIght be tennis elbow from blowing out your grips. It comes from overexerting your forearm muscles.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I just meant wearing your forearms out repeatedly, I get pain in both my elbows if I'm training a lot without enough rest days. It goes away for me cause I usually take some time off after doing a couple tournaments, but it comes back frequently cause I'm lazy and don't do PT exercises diligently enough once it stops hurting.

I got the rubber bendy things for forearm conditioning but I don't use them enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we4UoiKG3Co

e: but yeah I'm sure getting your grips broken really hard doesn't help either. I try to let go if I can anticipate that but I've gotten some tweaked knuckles from being stubborn about my grips before.

Dave Grool fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Feb 16, 2017

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
That's just the street self defense variation

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I did a couple tiny competitions under freestyle judo rules, which is kinda like what you guys are talking about. They only award ippon for absolutely perfect throws then it's a 4 to 1 point scale. Pins score points depending on duration, all chokes and armlocks of any type are legal. Sweeps, guard passes and turnovers from turtle score 1 point. Guard pulling is a penalty, can't hold closed guard for more than a few seconds, lots of other rules. It kinda split the difference between judo and bjj, but the scoring is super subjective and there's only like 2 people that actually know all the rules.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

boy are my arms tired posted:

we were starting from that position and trying to break free as a drill for judo practice

i guess i'm not being mobile enough and just trying to power through things, i'll try shrimping more. thanks!

This video is pretty good IMO, tl;dw version: you may need to bridge two (or more) times to escape, first to make space and disrupt the pin (may take multiple attempts if your partner is bigger/more skilled) then more bridging to escape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Im8IKc8NeY

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

kimbo305 posted:

I can hear willie_dee getting the vapors on that self-defense stuff:
http://drunkcyclist.com/2017/03/28/tales-from-the-trail-getting-stompd/

That comment section is a wild ride

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Xguard86 posted:

Anyone know anything about the martial arts scene in Toronto? I might be commuting up there for work. Downtown area

I'm primarily a BJJ guy but down for judo or really anything that I can fit in the schedule.

I've never been to Toronto but I've seen some good youtube stuff from Elliot Bayev http://www.openmat.ca/ .

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Looking for some feedback on rib injuries. Mashed mine good 2.5 weeks back in dirt jump gone wrong and was wondering what people's experiences with healing times have been? I'm supposed to attend a training camp this weekend (mostly as a referee) but wanted to practice too.
I can do deep breaths without pain, but lifting/sneezing still hurts.
I think they're just sprained rather than broken, so I'm inclined to 'risk it' at the weekend.

MAYBE light drilling with a partner whose very clear on your injury but I wouldn't even think about rolling. Even be careful with torso twisting/bending while drilling. You're in the prime time slot to re-injure yourself even worse, stick to drills where you're on top if you really can't help yourself

E: I think the general rule with rib injuries is 6-8 weeks if it's not a major break

Dave Grool fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jun 20, 2017

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ImplicitAssembler posted:

This is for kendo, so 'rolling' wont be a problem.
I think I'll go to the beginners practice on Thursday, shout a bit a bit at them, join some of the drills and see how it goes.

oh my bad, yeah I don't know poo poo about kendo, try to refrain from forceful torso twisting I guess

e: got this thread confused with the grappling thread

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Judo is great. Yeah it's a "throwing art", but practicing controlling your opponent's movement, posture, and balance while maintaining your own in order to setup the throws is super useful, even if you don't intend on dumping somebody on their head.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Does aikido or tkd have higher sexual market value? this is important

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

punk rebel ecks posted:

However, I don't know if I'm dedicated enough to adhere to a super strict diet or routine.

The best muay thai trainers in the world are fat chain smoking middle aged thai dudes. If you're not looking to be a serious sport competitor you don't need to maintain some strict lifestyle.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

JaySB posted:

Tap early, tap often, you're not tough no matter how tough you think you are.

Whenever I have stupid idle thoughts about being able to kick somebody's rear end, I remind myself of the time I got mega-owned in the gym by a 15 year old I had like 40 lbs on.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Siivola posted:

From the way Hoare complains about it, ("at least require an immediate attack") people weren't so much owning unsuspecting judo players with sick fireman's carries oitta nowhere, as just hanging onto each others' pants.

Or so I'd guess. Right now it looks like you'll get slapped with an immediate shido if you block the opponent's hips with a lapel grip.

I remember seeing more than a few matches from the 2008 olympics where one player would get up by a yuko or wazari and then just shoot lovely doubles from the outside to run the clock down

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah he's being a douchebag. If you work with him again be assertive that you want to focus on the basics, you're a beginner after all. If he's a young kid he may just not understand that's he's being lovely to you so some push back might be enough to get him in line. I wouldn't blame you if you just don't work with him though.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If he's a brown belt teenager he's probably just a kid bored of doing the basics all the time, that's why he wants to do all the crazy poo poo. Just make it real clear you're not okay with that, and if that isn't enough to fix the situation bring it up with the instructor

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Can you get stronger just by juicing and not actually lifting? asking for a friend

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Odddzy posted:

Clinical tests I've read indicate that yes they do. But it's comparatively useless in comparison to even light exercice with Roids.

So just for example roids + hobbyist level grappling? same friend

e: wait poo poo different friend

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
nah I'm doin it, it's over for ya'll

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mechafunkzilla posted:

A lot of it is full contact vs. point-based rules, if a ruleset doesn't reward doing a technique more forcefully then it's gonna be less effective. If TKD competition could only be won by TKO then you'd see it evolve into a much more "fight effective" art.

Muay Thai without punches might actually be kind of awesome.

Kyokushin with leg kicks and throws would own

e: I think we just invented shootfighting

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Some people pay a lot of money for that, you should be thankful

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Just give them the phone

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Judo owns and it's great to learn as a kid when you can still fall down all weird and not blow something out immediately

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Consummate Professional posted:

So I'm thinking of trying out BJJ in a few weeks/ a month because I'm getting nasty and fat and it sounds pretty cool. I'm totally blind without my glasses and am not really sure how that would work. I've only done really basic hand to hand stuff when I was in the military. I'm sure I don't want them on when sparring but not sure how a class would work. Anyone have advice? I'm assuming contacts are the way to go but I figured I'd ask.

I just had my glasses case with me during the instructional bit and I'd stash it once we broke to drill/roll, it was kind of tedious but it worked. Partially motivated me to finally get the surgery though.

e: sometimes people just leave their glasses on the mat too, don't do that though

Dave Grool fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Dec 24, 2018

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
staring at the wall when passing/breaking guard is good practice for maintaining correct posture too

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Congrats! I'm a green belt and I hardly ever get throws, but I'm the least experienced in a small group of bjj people that cross train judo so it's weird figuring out my actual skill level.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

willie_dee posted:

Why we train bois!

I train to not be fat and depressed

fake e: as much

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Cephas posted:

I wonder if they only get one shot for the whole competition, or if they go in rounds. Kyudo (and archery in general) looks really enjoyable to me.

Archery is fun, like guns but cheaper and with fewer insane weirdos. At least a wider and generally nicer variety of weirdos anyway

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
They both look like they’re worth a visit. Different places can have very different atmospheres , so I’d see which one fits better for you. The best gym for you is the one that’s gonna keep you coming back, not necessarily whose got the best pedigree or whatever

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Firstborn posted:

Well, that happened today. I cancelled after I left. The white belt who grabbed my arm was the guy with military experience, and he was a very genuine guy, very serious about getting better, and helped a lot of the guys who just started a lot. I didn't take it as a joke when it happened. He didn't give any indication.
More about this guy, in the last roll he did I was next to him, and in the final 30 seconds (there's a bell that rings for final30, then a bell to stop), the brown belt caught the guy in a sub I never saw before where he basically had his neck between his thighs, and wouldn't stop after the bell. The white belt got up visually straining, etc., and the guy did ask if he was okay but.. I know every gym probably has these superninjas with egos in it.

This kinda poo poo is extremely out of line, especially coming from a brown belt. I don't know the area, but that wouldn't fly at any gym I've ever trained at and you are completely correct to avoid that place. It's a lovely intro to jiu-jitsu and not the norm, there are lots of good gyms with friendly environments out there. Try not to let it sour you on grappling too much.

e: You have to go to the Ninja Turtles dude's place and report back

Dave Grool fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 20, 2019

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

jit bull transpile posted:

Does this judo school seem OK?
https://www.nakanojudo.net

I'm finally in a place in my life where I can pick up a martial art again and I've decided to give judo a go because my hands can't really take punching anymore. I used to do muay Thai and bjj in my early 20s but now I'm old and mostly just want to do this for fitness and fun.

That place looks awesome, also the website is kinda fucky so that means it's extra legit

e: wait no that was chrome being fucky

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If nothing else you'll learn breakfalls from judo which are an essential life skill imo. They should teach that poo poo to everybody in grade school

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

punk rebel ecks posted:

Yeah, every competitive sport has prodigies who dominate after a cartoonishly short time. I was more so referring to the majority of people who fall in some type median. As pointed out before that there will always be those who fall in extreme ends of the spectrum. Reading this thread there seems to be a lot of controversy about this. Not to mention I get the feeling that people in this thread are getting annoyed with me. I would have probably been better off just asking my coaches, rather than opening up a subject that is likely a can of worms in the community.

I think you're just kind of over analyzing it

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
RDJ talked about wing chun on the Rogan show. As a former chun dabbler now grappling person it was uh, interesting that he's still super into it even as an MMA fan. At 1hr30secs if it doesn't link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5XTDmm0KUQ&t=3634s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The big thing that jumped out at me was he said it took him years of practicing on the wooden dummy to learn not to fight force on force, which is something you learn pretty drat quick in grappling unless you're the biggest dude in the room.