Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Eddie Wineland, an mma power puncher, hates wraps. Never wears them. If you look at his hands during fights he has a tiny bit of gauze taped on his hands to satisfy the commission and that's it.

It's whatever floats your boat. For my own part, I find the wraps do more to protect my hands and wrists from injury than the gloves do. I'd rather do heavy bag work with just wraps (or wraps and plain leather bag gloves) than just gloves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ringo Roadagain posted:

that Im talking about. what does this mean? why do you think there are forces that when unwrapped are isolated only to a single joint or bone, that when wrapped now spread around to multiple joints or bones? I dont understand the science behind this. The force should be spreading or not regardless of your hands being wrapped or not. because your bones are already wrapped in your skin and muscle and bound together by ligaments and tendons, and there is cartilage acting as a cushion between them, right?

Think about it this way - you can break one stick with your hands, but if you tape 4 sticks together it's way harder to break them because they're taped together and they support each other. The wraps keep everything in alignment, too.

Gloves actually provide very little wrist support because you can't get them nice and tight around the wrist with the velcro, and the interior of the gloves are sized with wraps in mind. When I wear gloves without wraps it feels like the gloves are flopping around on my knuckles and I hate it.

But you can do what you want. Just note that everyone else in this thread - the experienced people, many of whom have competed, some professionally in striking sports, others who have trained and cornered pro mma fighters and/or worked with people who have fought on pay per views in the UFC - everyone else is unanimous that the wraps make a big difference in preventing injury.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ringo Roadagain posted:

yes, yes, no. and arent your fingers still isolated with wraps? Ive never seen anyone bind their fingers together.

Your fingers are out of the way because you're making a fist.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ringo Roadagain posted:

Yes, but all the bones in your hand are already stuck together.

More support is more support. Just wiggle your figners around. Your metacarpals can move independently inside your meat.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Pretty Little Angel posted:

Hi,

I'm taking BJJ classes. Anyone have any resources/tips to learn the terminology? I have trouble following the instructor's directions and end up mimicking what is shown and/or relying on my training partner.

You could watch some youtube vids (Stephan Kesting maybe) to get a bit more interaction with the material, but it's like really any language - it'll get substantially easier as you go. Don't be self conscious about that - everyone there has gone through that vocabulary hurdle.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

yeah post in the grappling thread, too. We have lots of purple+ belts who post here and who like to chat about grappling.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

It better be Kyokushin where they have to stand in a phone booth and they're not allowed to strike to the head but they're allowed full force kicks to the dome. That'd own.

It's shotokan point fighting with extra safety gear isn't it

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Olympic grappling thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3974290

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

They should get rid of olympic TKD and karate and bring in olympic kickboxing with full kicks and spinnin' poo poo added, and safety rules based on the boxing's.

Did anyone watch any of the karate kata competition? How was that?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yeah it's TMA nonsense and orientalist woo, all of it very :umberto:

There are people who claim that the Janissaries would slap marble slabs to make their hands like iron, and then they could slap and kill horses. I've never seen an iron hand story like that which didn't also require a total misunderstanding of the basic physics of momentum and power.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

gay for gacha posted:

feel better friend, I just had my knee ligaments shredded doing a sick calf slicer back take. I can't walk and I can't get an MRI till like September 1st.

:negative:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yeah avoid bikram. I tore my rotator cuff worse in a bikram class than I ever have in a BJJ class - the heat gives you an artificial sense of mobility. Plus it's a licensed thing with extremely expensive training and the founder is a(n alleged) sex pest.

Any other yoga class - eg hatha, flow, yin - will be good.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Hey I'm just jumping in to say that I think that this thread's new dynamic as of the last 6 months or so is great, even if I don't have as much to contribute.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

This thread used to be a weird secondary home for the grapple goons and occasionally for grapple goons to be mean to TMA people: it used to be a thread meme, in fact. I like that TMA folk are taking it over, even if it's only the two of you so far. It's healthier discussion even if I'm not posting much. I guarantee that many grapple goons are still reading it.

I guess this would be the better thread to talk about Judo Kata. I'm starting to learn quite a bit about Judo Kata. I know two of them pretty thoroughly at this point because I'm the guy who is always there to practice, usually able to travel for gradings, and I'm 160 lb so I end up being everyone's uke because nobody wants to do a fireman's toss on the big guys. I'm starting to learn a third one.

Ask me about Judo Kata if you want. Here are the basics:

*Set forms, with some of the katas going back to the earliest days of Judo.
*All of the Katas are partner exercises and in competition both Tori and Uke get evaluated.
*Each Kata follows a theme and functions as an instructional textbook.
*Many of the techniques are shown in distorted or exaggerated forms for emphasis in demonstration.
*Some of the learning content will be found by performing the Kata, not only from watching it.
*Kata is one of 3 components in grading from shodan (first degree black belt) to godan (fifth degree black belt)

The most common Kata are

1 - Nage no Kata - the forms of throwing (nage): 15 throwing techniques in 5 sets of 3. The first three sets of NNK are the most commonly practiced in judo as they're associated with the shodan test. The fourth and fifth sets are required for nidan (2nd bb), which is what I'm practicing right now. I know this one pretty thoroughly.

2 - Gatame no Kata - the forms of ground work/pinning: 15 ground techniques in 3 sets of 5 - pins, strangles, and joint locks. Associated usually with the sandan (3rd bb) test. I know uke's part quite thoroughly for this one, even if I don't know some of the formal details for Tori's part. It contains the only leg lock technique that ever gets taught in all of Judo (an outside ashi leg reap).

3 - Kime no Kata - old school forms of self defense: This one has swords and stuff in it and I've only seen it on youtube and only once or twice. I don't think it gets practiced in my area very much.

4 - Goshin Jutsu - new forms of self defense: developed in the 50s because they were like "swords?", 15 techniques in 5 sets of 3 (I think( vs grabs, strikes, sticks, knives, and guns. This one is a favourite of the old grognard TMA Judo dudes, and it has strikes and wrist locks and stuff in it. I'm just starting to learn about this one because our head instructor needs to decide which kata he's doing for his yondan (4th bb) test which he'll be eligible for in August.

5 - Ju no Kata - forms of gentleness (ju): a shorter Kata that focuses on balance, flow, and body mechanics. Sometimes called the "women's kata." I've never tried it at all, but it's a favourite of the older judoka (65+) in our area, partly because it has no breakfalls in it for uke. It looks super weird, but people who like it like it, and some of these people were face crushing competitors in their youth, so there must be something to learn there.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

slidebite posted:

Do most schools specialize in 1 type or multiple types?

Is Ju no Kata kinda like Tai Chi?

Judo has always fascinated me. When I was in middle school around 11-12 my best friend was in Judo and loved it. I wanted to get into it with him but I was a fat kid for a lot of my childhood and super self conscious and petrified of people making fun of me so I never dared try.

In retrospect, I wish I did. After my current martial arts experience, knowing how inclusive we are and try so hard to make everyone part of the group and succeed, it probably would have made me a better person if I did back then (assuming they actually weren't a bunch of jerks). I actually think holds/throws is probably a more practical skill set in many ways, but I definitely appreciate the heavy on physical fitness aspect and agility aspects we are very strong in which does me good.

It's not too late to try! A friend of mine is in his 50s and doing his shodan test in two weeks. There's another guy testing on the same date who is even older, chonkier, and started even later, in his late 40s!

There are some tai chi characteristics in ju no kata, but by "balance" I mean like "balance breaking" - there are movements in it where you redirect your partner past you, where you hold them so that you're supporting uke's weight on tori's body, or where you corkscrew your arms through one another. It looks extremely woo and stupid until you reflect that the redirection just needs a blocked foot and a snap of a wrist to be a solid trip, the supported weight is the same as when you're doing a high amplitude hip throw, and the arm corkscrewing traces the same pathways as pummelling the arms as in wrestling. That kind of abstracted, flowy motion is what it shares with tai chi.

As far as the value of practicing that kata goes, remember that in martial arts we're often coaching people to slow down the motions and work the details out to achieve smooth motion before speeding it up, so there is going to be some value in working through smooth versions of abstracted principles. Again, though, I've never even done any moves in ju no kata: only watched the old timers do it.

Some schools do specialize, but it's rarely a formal thing and it usually has to do with the aggregate preferences of the ppeople leading classes are. Our school likes foot sweeps and ground work because the club founder who died 15 or so years ago liked foot sweeps and ground work, and then I've taken up jiu jitsu in parallel to judo. A similar thing happens with kata - the old timers prefer one or another, and so they teach it more often, so their students know it a bit better. We love Gatame no Kata, and we practice it regularly. The nearest club to us is run by an old grognard dude with blown knees who just loves self defense stuff and certain throwing techniques and so he talks about Goshin Jutsu every chance he gets and rarely does groundwork with his kids. Then when we do crossover practices (we're doing one tomorrow, in fact) we teach his students groundwork stuff, and he'll give us tips on his specialities. His students can't armbar someone worth a drat, but I've taught them a few arm bar escapes that they've drilled, and their defense is now solid.

Other than that, every school needs to be able to do and teach Nage no Kata - knowing it is a corequisite to getting your black belt, and enforcing the uniformity of the kata in grading is one of the ways that a degree international uniformity is maintained in the art and sport.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Thirteen Orphans posted:

At least Putin is a martial artist. I’ve heard his Judo is respectable.

I have putin's judo book! I haven't really read it other than just flipping through it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jack B Nimble posted:

Does anyone know of any articles, reviews, blog posts etc about the dark comedy The Art of Self Defense from a MMA/TMA perspective? My coach recommended it to me, I loved it, but the reviews I'm finding online, from slate, WaPo, Roger Ebert, etc; don't seem to fully engage with the movie the way I think someone who actually trains might.

Jack Slack said something positive about that movie on a podcast a while back. Can't remember details.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jack B Nimble posted:

The send up of gym culture specifically. The reviews I've read aren't bad, and engage well with the movie in its larger themes of violence, self defense, and toxic masculinity, but some of the jokes that landed best with me are specific to the training. Like, how obsessed he is with his yellow belt.

I want to clarify I wasn't at all hoping for a technique critique of the fights or anything.

That's what I figured you were interested in. Yeah as I recall Slack (who is by a wide margin the best technical analyst in MMA media and probably in all of fight sports media) said something like "decent movie; cheeky fun. A good send-up of bullshido mcdojo culture and all of the bullshit cult stuff that they do. Go watch it. Or don't." Like, he seriously only said maybe 3 sentences about it as a side point wrt something else he was discussing.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yeah for the most part when I see someone who I haven't seen in a while everyone is like yo buddy!!!

It might be awkward though when the vaccine mandates end if any of those people start showing up again...

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Basic Poster posted:

Hi Gang,

semi often lurker and first time poster.

I have some experience in my 20s and early 30s (42 now) doing Dan Zan Ryu and I really liked it. I don't mean to get into a big thing about how arts without rolling are not effective and etc, but I just enjoyed it. Its hard for me to stick to physical activities unless I'm learning something at the same time that I value. I made it through yawara, shime and nage (escapes, grapples, throws) before I found out the guy that ran it had a fairly problematic past and present regarding some sexual things that I don't care to mention passed that and parted with the school.

I have missed it though and it can be hard outside the big cities to find a more traditional dojo since everything now seems to be strip mall BJJ/MMA which isnt really my thing.

Anyways after moving to a new area, I found a trad japanese art spot that is a little under the radar and takes a small number of students on an interview basis and I got accepted and am excited to start.

The particular school is a Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu place with a seemingly forward leaning traditional and modern weapons component. Fun

Anyways the world of martial arts supplies is dizzying and seems like frought with iffy products and grift. The recomendation is at least a 14oz black Gi and tabi socks (indoor).

My question is (sorry for the story time) is there a favored place to get equipment? I'd prefer to buy something once. The weapons and such are provided by the school, just looking for something quality in the 14oz black+ninjaturtle feet socks.

No apologies for your choice of art. Doin' poo poo is always good so long as you're making your choice for reasons that are true, and it sounds like you are. :justpost: tell us what you're learning and about the fun you're having.

The supplier depends on the country. I order lots of martial arts gear for multiple sports within Canada and both of the wholesalers I've dealt with over the last 5-6 years carry multi-sport gear. I can order more TMA-style stuff right beside muay thai pads and bjj gis. If you put me onto a mission today to get gear for a martial art I'm not familiar with, I'd look for a multi-sport supplier that sells brands I'm familiar with for other sports: I'm a fan of Fuji, Tatami, and Mizuno gis, and I've had good luck with certain Adidas ones too. I like Fairtex, Title, and Ringside striking gear. I'd usually feel confident buying an unfamiliar item from a site that supplies those brands, or at least more confident buying the same unfamilar item from a rando Amazon store.

From what I see about Taijitsu gis on a quick google, they seem similar to BJJ ones in cut. You could probably get a black BJJ gi from a brand like Fuji for not too much. One of the reasons I like Fuji gis is that they don't have much in the way of decals and embroidery on them (along being a good price-quality compromise for an intro one). Judo gis tend to be yet more spartan, but they're not usually available in black. The difference is I'm not sure if Taijitsu "heavy" gis are "heavy" gis compared to grappling gis. 14 oz is ~400 grams, and most standard double weave gis are around 450. Below that is "light." Any BJJ or Judo gi you get will be double weave, and I've only ever seen single-weave karate gis.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yeah some BJJ folks are weirdos. I just wear my regular, white, blood-stained gis with a pink rashguard underneath.

Now when you're trying it out here are the things to look out for

1) Major self defense claims, especially self-defense claims against weapons and/or against MMA/"UFC." Lots of the bad TMA clubs are like "We're too deadly for UFC," for example. A little bit of "this will help you survive in a dangerous situation" is good; human weapon/ "used by military" etc is bad.

2) Any kind of no-touch KO/chi/pressure point stuff. If they even insinuate this, just walk - it's a cult. General discussion of "chi" in terms of mindfulness, energy, balance is fine, but chi isn't magic.

3) Contracts and fees: if they don't let you have a cheap or free tryout with no committment, and if they want you to sign up for like 6+ months at a time, that's a major red flag. Same thing with big fees for testing - often "fee for testing" translates to "we give belts to people who pay us for belts." Likewise if they try to sell you some kind of complicated kit of high-priced gear just to try it out. At our muay thai class for example, when it's not a pandemic we let people use house gear as long as they want and people only buy when they feel they want their own stuff.

4) Vibe. You have to like the vibe of the place to train there.

If it doesn't work out, too, keep posting and we'll help you to find something. Eg, my dad was into similar aspects of TMA and he found what he liked in Shotokan Karate, so I suspect that it might likewise be a good fit for you.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Basic Poster posted:

Very much appreciate the advice. I will for sure be on the look out for those things. I tend to think the magicization of MA stuff is either the fault of the west or the east capitalizing on the appeal of it, largely through cinema which is great, but then these Rex Kwon Do types.

I did like Dan Zan Ryu even though guy turned out to be almost assuredly a sex pest. So, obvo walked there. There was never rolling, but again, I just like doing something I enjoy and don't ever intend to be some walking registered deadly weapon. There is an intro free class and it's month to month and a two month minimum. So a good gi will probably be more than the intro costs.

The dont sell any equipment and you can buy the traditional weapons from a local affiliated guy who makes them or buy your own. I get the sense the the guy who runs it probably has a day job as there are only two classes a week, and doesn't have anyone else teaching, very small class sizes which seems cool. It's also not like then entire weapons arsenal of the entire Edo period or whatever, there are three or four, so even buying them all would be like 60-100 usd. Doesn't seem like a huge grift but I'll deffo do a trip report and you guys can tell me if it's "sexy weasel pose" garbage or whatever.

From that outline that seems like it's an OK club. If I wanted to get into the TMA stuff more again that's the kind of thing I'd look for - someone who just apparently teaches it as a hobby.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Sorry that it was BS. I'll support the call for a story.

The thing about "live sparring" that you noted in your first post that BJJ folks oftensay doesn't mean "you need to do live sparring for it to be worthwhile," it's "your art needs to have full-contact competition somewhere involved to keep its techniques honest," even if you're not participating in that competition. E.g. you can learn good judo with only occasional, light sparring if your teacher is someone whose teacher made a run at the olympics and whose students go to local tournaments, because there is that backstop of getting rid of the chaff.

Really big red flags for me in self-description are "ancient" "secret" and "military." If I see those in an art's description, at least without some kind of tempering statement, it basically screams bullshido at me. When it comes down to it everything that we consider martial arts today is modern, and any claim otherwise is caught up in some kind nationalist cosplaying, whether the person saying it knows it or not. There aren't "secret techniques" - people have been hitting and manipulating the human body longer than recorded history, and people are continually experimenting and learning. Modern boxing looks the way it does as a consequence of centuries of competition, blood-and-guts training and slow drifting of the rules. There are tons of boxers who have karate backgrounds, and if you watch them they, uh, look like boxers because that's what's competition tested. Likewise, hand-to-hand unarmed combat is not a significant part of any actual military training. They fight with guns and look at ending up in a hand-to-hand situation as being a complete tactical disaster. Oh, and the military guys I know who want to learn hand to hand? They train Judo or BJJ, and not Krav Maga. The more that an organization finds excuses to drift away from live, open competition and towards cloistered secrets or kumite in the jungles of Malaysia, the less legitimacy it has.

If you want to learn more about this there's a vlogger on youtube whose channel is "Martial Arts Journey" - he's was a die-hard Aikido guy who did a (friendly) challenge against some MMA fighters, accepted that Aikido was lacking in many ways, and who is now on a quest to integrate the things he liked about Aikido with the better-tested technical foundation of bjj/judo/mma training. He regularly returns to his Aikido stuff in his inter-discipline sparring sessions and it's by no means a "lol Aikido is lame guys lol bullshido" thing. His tone is more that a martial artist's journey of self-discovery needs to be honest with itself.

Anyway, lots of TMA still has competition somewhere down the line: look for a Japan Karate Association affiliated Shotokan place in your area, or maybe Kyokushin, if you want some TMA that's more striking oriented. Both of those orgs have competitive frameworks, though I think the JKA Shotokan is mostly point sparring. If you're willing to consider grappling arts, look for a Judo club. Judo clubs are traditionalist and keep TMA elements, and most of them work to accommodate a wide range of intensities so that it can be a lifelong art even once it ceases being a sport. One of the senior clubs in my region has multiple 70+ year old participants and a couple of 80+ year old ones on the mats at the same time the 22 year old mad men and crazy girls. That poo poo is awesome.

(Source: I'm a black belt in judo and a purple belt in BJJ, I have years of muay thai and boxing, and I've worked with high-level wrestlers and UFC fighters (mostly them kicking the poo poo out of me), in addition to having done workshop/collab type things with people from shitloads of other arts and disciplines; my dad is a retired black belt in shotokan and judo: all of this is to say that I have experience and perspective on the range of arts.)

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Xguard86 posted:

Sometimes people dgaf about really fighting and have no illusions in that regard.

I think back to my aikido coach who was a retired kickboxer and just liked the mental stuff and interesting movement.

Ninjutsu though. dk there's such a high concentration of BS and delusion...

Well yeah. That's why whenever someone comes into this thread saying that they want to do a particular art, the Aikido guy I always start by asking what interests them in that art, not by making fun of Aikido or whatever. Everything can be valid and fun so long as it's honest in what it is and is not.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

One of my best judo friends used to do JJJ, in Japan, at that, and he still loves it, but Judo scratches that itch for him.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

froglet posted:

Eh, I find it hard to judge/criticise this stuff so long as it's something they enjoy that gets them out of the house and they have no illusions about it being serious military training of yesteryear or some mystic naruto art.

Yeah I reckon I can confirm this. I'm an increasingly withered old bird (31, heh) who's been noodling about with a blue belt for the past decade or so. While the last competition I participated in was a nationals competition where I came dead last (I entered to make up numbers! :shobon:), I have refereed juniors matches and frequently play with people who have at least entered competitions in the recent past and we do discuss how various throws and matches panned out and how to counter someone from a different club's throw that they heavily leaned on in the last competition.

I'd completely agree with that assessment. The degree of philosophy and ritual does vary from club to club, at least during regular training sessions, and how strictly you adhere to it as an individual can be almost entirely dependent on your most influential teacher (mine was turbo strict and my current sensei teases me a little about how formal I can be).

However, I also think there's a cultural element that some of the other martial arts don't really have (at least where I live). Like I notice that with judo, we tend to have parents playing on the same mat as their kids, and there's a lot of seniors teaching juniors techniques both as a part of the class but also in an ad-hoc manner (generally when you see them committing Judo Crimes, heh). Admittedly I haven't been to too many other martial arts clubs, but I've not really seen that dynamic in others clubs because classes/training sessions tend to be a bit more heavily divided into age and skill ranges.

This could be a regional difference thing, though.

Our judo club divides the kids class and the adult class at about age 12-13, depending on the size and maturity of the kid, so at times when we've had more youth we get that dynamic.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

kimbo305 posted:

I had them show me on the scale: hand at waist = 0, hand above head = 10, and almost everyone had their hand somewhere at head level.
In my head I was thinking, "what is wrong with you people?"

For someone new always knock 3/10 off of that scale because nobody wants to look wimpy so they'll inflate what they let other people see.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jack Slack has argued in the past that (my paraphrase) if you want to see what Wing Chun would look like if you took what's good in it and adapted to a full-resistance skilled opponent situation you basically have Robbie Lawler, especially in the two Hendricks fights.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Lt. Shiny-sides posted:

Do you have a link to that video/article? I love Slack but I’m struggling to see that connection.

It's more something he has mentioned in passing over the years in articles, videos, and on his podcast. It's the hand trapping and the range that they fight at.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1995484-lawler-vs-hendricks-the-strangest-great-fight-of-the-year

He mentions it here. One of the pains of being a Jack Slack dude though is that he takes his videos down a lot to avoid having his channel DMCA nuked, and many of his old articles are have disappeared as websites died.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Lt. Shiny-sides posted:

Thanks!

I see where my disconnect was. I was thinking, “that is just boxing in MMA” and not “there are overlaps in the greater concepts of wing chun and boxing at that range”.

Ah yeah it's more of a "same questions, similar answers" situation

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

This is why I get mad at people who whine about participation trophies, because showing up is literally the hardest part.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm going to take the other side of this and say that if you're doing no- or low-contact boxing that it can be relatively low impact. At grappling I end up taking more unexpected/uncontrolled impacts than I do when I'm practicing striking.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mr Interweb posted:

thanks for the responses, folks

yeah, it's quite a shame, but it looks like it might not be good for my health if i continue to pursue full contact boxing. probably should indeed have done so more than a decade ago when i had the chance. :smith:

that being said, i suppose there's nothing wrong joining a boxing gym just to punch the bags, right?

Full-contact sparring is overrated. It's only one part of the training, and in terms of the proportion of total training time, it's tiny. It can be quite beneficial, fun, and challenging to do a striking sport with partner drills, padwork, and touch sparring. poo poo, if you're not planning to compete, imo there's no benefit to full-contact sparring beyond doing enough times to actually know what it's like.

You'll be able to learn a lot about boxing without it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mr Interweb posted:

wait seriously? :monocle:

Like, yeah. Heavy sparring is only one part of it. poo poo, we don't let people spar at our (muay thai) club for at least 6 months after they join and we have competitors who only do anything heavier than touch sparring when they're thinking about taking a fight. At the boxing club I went to, which was way more active for sparring, people still were only allowed to start contact sparring under extremely controlled condiations.

You definitely won't be sparring on day one and I wouldn't recommend that anyone join a striking club that allows (or god forbid pressures) day one sparring. Go to the club, take some classes, and see if you like it.

e. and if it's a legit gym, once you get to know people and make some friends, it wouldn't be unusual to go with a more experienced, trustworthy person and say "touch only to my face, but real sparring to the body".

ee. because there should be no contact for new people, feel it out, watch what other people are doing, and then talk to your doc.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 5, 2022

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'm a terrible boxer and really wish I was better, but we don't touch spar, and what my gym considers light sparring bothers me, and it's my one really big complaint about this gym that I see guys like Icy Mike and Sensei Seth doing this very light, friendly, playful rounds, and I can't have that and have largely quit attending kickboxing. :smith:

Edit:

This looks so fun:

https://youtu.be/WONtg5-lxaY

That's a great video. That's how I like to spar and watching that makes me want to spar.

I typically wear headgear when doing that because gently caress it I'm safety sally

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yeah we don't even bother to teach it in judo anymore because it's even dangerous when doing it static

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

congratulations!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Has someone posted this one yet? An elderly judo master, 10th Dan Mifune, wipes the floor with his high ranking juniors. You can tell the juniors are really trying, too. Something I learned from the video is that apparently at 10th Dan the practitioner can literally fly.

https://youtu.be/hv5BszX15fc

Mifune owns

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The idea with randori is that you try to make your judo happen through timing and not put too much effort into defense so that things don't escalate and the sparring can be an activity that you can do every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

slidebite posted:

Instructors/senior people:

Do you have any kind of a concussion protocol/awareness course you need to complete for you schools?

Our school is getting more serious about concussions and is asking all black belts to complete some sort of 3rd party awareness course. We will probably eventually standardize on something but in the meantime it was discussed that anything is probably better than nothing.

Any online courses you have completed/can recommend? Does not have to be super in depth, probably more risk awareness, etc ... that kind of thing.

Yes, but it's through judo canada and the canadian coaching association.