Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Waci posted:

Is that common in America? Pre-ground chicken has been cheaper than whole, desirable cuts like thighs everywhere I've ever lived... Same goes for red meat as well, mixed-animal mixed-cut ground meat is always cheaper than any whole cut of anything.

In America breasts/white meat are p expensive and dark meat/thighs/bone-in stuff is cheaper. when I moved to Asia it flipflopped where breasts are the cheapest part of a bird you can get and anything with a bone in it or dark meat is pricier, just due to demand i guess.

I've also not seen ground chicken here, but again, I'm guessing not that many people use it and that's why. I do chop up my own if I need to with 2 big cleavers (it sucks).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Kenji has good recipes and I love his articles, but he also has a super goony attitude on social media sometimes.

Like I think it was last summer??? he got (deserved, imo) heat for commenting on some random dude's insta. The person posted something about mapo tofu and used pork in it, which is super fuckin common even in Sichuan to use, and Kenji was like "uh well actually beef is the traditional meat used", which while technically correct is some real weird energy for a semi-famous online chef to be throwing around online.

He does the same sorta stuff semi regularly. It doesn't even feel like he's being deliberately mean or anything and just doesn't know how to read a room.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Stringent posted:

I'm kinda mystified that ppl look at their social media or pay any attention to them outside of whatever information they have about cooking, but I guess it's just a generational thing or something.

cuz i like to look at pics of food, which is 99% of what he posts.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

Comedy is a viable way to deal with pain :stare:

I hope they hire Sohla and Rick and Gabby to play themselves.

nah they'll get scarjo to play all 3.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Stringent posted:

Maybe it's from living in asia for so long, but Uncle Roger just comes off as insanely racist and difficult for me to watch. I'm sure he's a good cook and all, but I just can't watch it.

Uncle Roger/Nigel Ng is a standup comedian not a cook lol. He just got huge from that one takedown of a BBC fried rice video so critiquing people cooking asian food became his schtick.

I have a few malaysian and singaporean friends who all really hate him, but I think his main audience is people who aren't in Asia.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Here watch these guys' videos. Real strong chaotic boomer energy as 3 dudes all hold their own cameras and they talk over one another.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klJObo8G_JE

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I think it sounds weird to pronounce a word in the "real" pronunciation if there's already a commonly accepted pronunciation of that word in the language you're speaking.

Like people rag on English-speaking people for not pronouncing Spanish or Japanese or French words right but do you think every native Spanish or Japanese or French speaker is pronouncing every word from not their native language correctly???

It's one thing if someone's being an rear end in a top hat and deliberately pronouncing a word stupidly cuz it's foreign, but like getting mad at how English speakers say croissant or habanero or basically any imported food word from any East Asian language is silly.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

prayer group posted:

I was gonna bring up hyperforeignism earlier! I work at a place that serves empanadas and I absolutely hear “empañada” a couple times a week.

To bring it back to the waygoo thing where we started, I feel that the most respectful and reasonable thing to do is learn how the word is pronounced and make an effort toward pronouncing it correctly. You definitely don’t need to sound like a native speaker. Just take care to A. express yourself efficiently and accurately, and B. be respectful to that culture by showing an effort.

I will never pronounce croissant the "right" way and you can't make me. my mémère was a native french speaker and she never succeeded either.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

.Z. posted:

When a lust for Taco Bell drives an expat in China to make a bastardized crunchwrap supreme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXmKdFSFqzM

kfc sells the crunchwraps in china.

they have a beijing duck one which is p good.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I feel like the salt grabbing is one of many things you'd do at home cuz who cares but not do in a restaurant. I p much do the same sorta things at home when cooking for myself and not when I cook for other people. People have low standards for themselves, I guess.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Cataffy posted:

Brad's still there, and seems to be their biggest star. He's also bought a farm that he lives on so he's shooting up there. Probably doing quite alright.

when i checked their channel out of curiosity it's interesting how the biggest videos by viewcount are all this new sommelier they have that reviews cheap wines or gives advice on wines which actually seems p chill and good.

brad and chris do the best otherwise but have almost never cracked 1 million views since everything went down, when before even a random recipe by a guest host could get 3+ million. their channel did fall off a lot.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

LionArcher posted:

I'm weirdly obsessed with Masterchef. (this started two days ago). have any of the winners gone on to do big things, or is more of a one and done type deal? Some of the contestants seem like they could easily go off and have good youtube channels. I wish the show had more of the judges schooling the contestants by making dishes.

some of them do, usually the winners do alright.

the one cooking competition show in the US that seems to completely blow up people's careers is top chef. half of the judges on current cooking shows are former contestants or winners of it, like richard blais on ramsay's new, incredibly stupid seeming, 3 floor cooking competition show that premiered over the weekend.

top chef contestants tend to already be accomplished chefs who are running restaurants tho, where masterchef is all home cook randos.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

lmao i guess i didn't see that season. i knew her from like, 1000 other things and didnt know she was also a top chef alum. more proof that show is the real career booster.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

i started watching the newest season of top chef and did they change how they edit this show completely? it feels like its way faster and more frantic overall, and they barely seem to hold on anyone long enough to read whatever caption they have below them. also it seems to be overall more focused drama and stuff which was something I liked top chef for not having as much of before.

idk if i just became old between finishing season 18 a couple months ago and starting this one tho.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Gordon freaking out about any food they serve pregnant women is a constant across all his shows for years, all the way back to gordon ramsay's kitchen nightmares.

I wonder if he had something happen or saw something happen when he was youngner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Food tiktok of the week:

Cute Rural Chinese Girl(s) Brings Home Random Ingredient Each Episode and Tells Her Brother In Law To Cook Something With It While Trying To Flirt With Him

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7130239279544028458

Unfortunately ingredients and instructions are only in Chinese but it’s a neat look at traditional Chinese cooking techniques and ingredients

Nobody bothers finely chopping anything, it’s all big chunks

I’m assume this account doesn’t even make the content, there are half a dozen accounts posting these videos which I assume are being ripped off Chinese social media

its really loving me up whoever uploaded this mirrored it to get around some copy protection so all the text is reversed.