Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

This is The Simpsons Season 28 thread. Feel free to discuss modern Simpsons in general. If the past few threads are any indication, this thread won't be super busy.

I'm creating this thread a day early because I might not have consistent internet tomorrow and it's been me who've created it the past few seasons. I might update this OP with something more elaborate later, but the show obviously needs no introduction. There's no huge gimmicks planned for this season; I think they're going to do an hour-long episode, which probably won't be a big deal.

"This show sucks now."
"No, it's not sad bad; just not as good as the classic episodes."
"No, it really sucks. It should have ended at season 9/10/11/12."
"I thought this recent episode was okay."
"This show started to suck at [exact joke from a season 13 episode]."

Anyway, the season premiere:
Monty Burns' Fleeing Circus | 8:00 PM on FOX, 30 min 2016 TV-PG
In the Season 28 premiere, Springfield burns to the ground, so the Simpsons beseech wealthy Mr. Burns to finance the rebuilding, but he has a price to pay---he's to put on a variety show at Springfield Bowl.

Here's the Adventure Time couch gag for the season premiere.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Sep 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Echo Chamber posted:

This show sucks now.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It's loving bonkers to think that this is season 28 of a show.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

muscles like this? posted:

It's loving bonkers to think that this is season 28 of a show.

Who knows what adventures our family will have between now and the time the show becomes unprofitable?

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
How 'bout some crazy weddings?

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Pretty sure if you vote for Kodos this year they count it for Trump.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Echo Chamber posted:

"This show started to suck at [exact joke from a season 13 episode]."

If you have FXX, you'll be able to see the exact moment of suckage when they run another Simpsons marathon this Thanksgiving. All 600 episodes will be shown in order.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Poor Julie Kavner, it sounds like she doesn't have the stamina anymore.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
They mentioned Arnold Palmer on tonight's show and now he's dead.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Mooseontheloose posted:

Poor Julie Kavner, it sounds like she doesn't have the stamina anymore.

Yeah I mentioned this last season premiere but it's clearly not getting better. It's one of those things where it feels awful to beat up on a cast for aging after 28 seasons but it's just all so rough. That and the slow tone shift over the years to slightly meaner poo poo (I mean Ralph just got melted into a loving statue in a non THOH episode) just makes the whole thing seem over and done with.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Simpsons s28: "How did 15,000 people leave so fast?"

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Mister Kingdom posted:

They mentioned Arnold Palmer on tonight's show and now he's dead.

:tinfoil: I want to believe :tinfoil:

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I did not like this episode.

Yet it's still way better than last season's premiere.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I gave up on thinking it could ever return to classic status, despite there being no reason it couldn't, and have learnt to accept it as a wacky, celeb filled thing with gags that are sometimes funny.

This was still dreadful.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

The new episode just ended but it feels like it never started. Was there actually a story there?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

J-Spot posted:

The new episode just ended but it feels like it never started. Was there actually a story there?

None that I could see.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Two good jokes (The Pink Panther homage at the beginning and Santa's Little Helper backing out of the room with an egg in his mouth towards the end.) sandwiched between a bunch of unused Homer the Heretic, Burn's Heir, and The Last Temptation of Homer gags.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

J33uk posted:

Yeah I mentioned this last season premiere but it's clearly not getting better. It's one of those things where it feels awful to beat up on a cast for aging after 28 seasons but it's just all so rough. That and the slow tone shift over the years to slightly meaner poo poo (I mean Ralph just got melted into a loving statue in a non THOH episode) just makes the whole thing seem over and done with.

I haven't watched a Simpsons episode in years, but I'm interested in hearing more about this tonal shift and the melting Ralph into a statue thing. :psyduck:

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Milky Moor posted:

I haven't watched a Simpsons episode in years, but I'm interested in hearing more about this tonal shift and the melting Ralph into a statue thing. :psyduck:

Milhouse's dad had his arms cut off, either Sherri or Terri died by drowning ala The Prestige, Ralph is covered in molten metal while doing a "That's All Folks!" gag.

It was odd.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

angerbeet posted:

Milhouse's dad had his arms cut off, either Sherri or Terri died by drowning ala The Prestige, Ralph is covered in molten metal while doing a "That's All Folks!" gag.

It was odd.

Yeah this pretty much sums it up. The show was never especially grounded after season 1 but it's at full on cartoon mode all the time now. Oh Ned got tormented by the ghosts of Edna and Maude for some reason. It's not like you expect anything amazing tuning in any more but they're starting to miss the low bar of being passable.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
There isn't really a big shift. That wasn't even the first time Kirk lost an arm. It happened as a little side joke in the old episode where Homer buys Snakes crappy car from the police auction.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

That first episode of the season certainly was a wet fart. The second one had some chuckle moments though.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I didn't mind this episode. I'll forgive the Wilhelm scream.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Tonight's episode was pretty decent so I wasn't surprised to see Matt Selman's name show up as lead executive producer. I noticed the animation direction was a lot livelier than usual. Usually these HD era episodes feel really stiff and the characters never deviate from the model sheets.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Worst version of "shipping up to Boston" I've ever heard. I guess I'm not an a cappella fan.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

J-Spot posted:

Tonight's episode was pretty decent so I wasn't surprised to see Matt Selman's name show up as lead executive producer. I noticed the animation direction was a lot livelier than usual. Usually these HD era episodes feel really stiff and the characters never deviate from the model sheets.

I noticed that as well, things like Karl twisting his hat etc. without it being a joke, just little lively things.

Otherwise, it was an episode I guess. The Simpsons are going to Boston!.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I appreciated this episode, except for Doris Kearns Goodwin.

My favorite visual gag:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
:siren:600th Episode!:siren:

Treehouse of Horror XXVII

Dry Hard - Mr. Burns introduces a Hunger Games-style contest in which Springfield's children fight each other for a day in Burns' personal reservoir.

BFF - Lisa's imaginary best friend, Rachel, is jealous of Lisa's real best friends and starts killing them so she could spend more time with her.

Moefinger - Moe tells Bart that the barflies are actually covert agents and that he wants Bart join their team in Homer's place.

Source

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
One of you guys!

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Was that last segment (imaginary friend kills everyone) a parody of something specific?

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Hey, I managed to make it to a Treehouse of Horror live on TV for the first time in my life! Cool beans!

Also, cool spoiler for that "untitled 2017 Seth MacFarlane show"

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Turdsdown Tom posted:

Hey, I managed to make it to a Treehouse of Horror live on TV for the first time in my life! Cool beans!

Also, cool spoiler for that "untitled 2017 Seth MacFarlane show"

I mean, they're not wrong. Remember Bordertown?

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
I can think of a few reasons why they didn't make the Lisa plot the entire episode, but they could have.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
As far as Late Simpsons goes, I thought this was an alright THOH.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Trust but Clarify

Lisa and Bart investigate Krusty's suspicious new "Krustaceans" candy. Meanwhile, Homer wants a promotion at the nuclear plant and asks Marge to help him dress the part, and news anchor Kent Brockman struggles to find his feet in the changing media world.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Not a good episode. Nothing really dumb or offensive about it; just not much going for it. And a few retreads of previous Brockman episodes from the past few years.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Holy poo poo! Tibor!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

angerbeet posted:

How 'bout some crazy weddings?

with sexy results!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Seriously how the hell did they pick President Trump back in 2000? What was he even doing then? Besides lovely steak at the sharper image

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Alan Smithee posted:

Seriously how the hell did they pick President Trump back in 2000? What was he even doing then? Besides lovely steak at the sharper image

He was running for president. 2016 is far from the only time he's tried to get into the executive. He tried to be H W. Bush's VP, considered running in 1988 and 2012, and actually did run in 2000.

• Locked thread