Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

ewe2 posted:

We need more lists like these for the lot of them. Quite hair-raising put all together like that. Back in the day, people like Peter Reith had quite a long list IIRC, but some of these guys have managed this in a term.

http://thesauce.co/achievements-of-the-abbott-government/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Gawd it's like fackin War and Peace.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

this pool is legit good

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
http://www.theage.com.au/federal-po...006-grww1s.html

quote:

"I agree, Neil," Senator Paterson replied. "$39 billion deficit last year. It's not a time when we can really be affording luxury. We've got to look at all areas of spending.
Senator Paterson also volunteered Australia Post as "the next cab off the rank" for full privatisation, but drew the line at junking the $200 million same-sex marriage plebiscite to save money. "It's something we took to the election," he said.

The party of fiscal responsibility.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Isnt Auspost only going to continue to make more and more as online shopping increases (is it increasing? i would have to assume it is) and selling it off would be a huge loving mistake?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

So on the day Rebecca Wilson's death was announced, there was this

Now Wilson had enemies, but this is pathetic.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Laserface posted:

Isnt Auspost only going to continue to make more and more as online shopping increases (is it increasing? i would have to assume it is) and selling it off would be a huge loving mistake?

Since when has that stopped the LNP from selling anything. Imagine how much money they would have if they still owned Telstra, the commbank and CSL. Hint, lots.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Laserface posted:

Making a profit means it's crowding out private businesses, and so should be privatised.

Making a loss means it's inefficient, and so should be sold to reduce costs.

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

Laserface posted:

So with car production winding up, when the gently caress are the protection tariffs on imported vehicles being removed? I need a new subaru.

I believe the import tariff on cars from Japan was removed back in 2015, and some of the Subaru's had some huge price drops around then. Top of the line Outbacks and Libertys came down by around 10k, slightly smaller drops on the regular models. Not sure if the Impreza or Forester saw much of a price drop then, though.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Remember Brandis has (depending on what gossip you believe) his eyes on being appointed to the high court or ambassador to the UK.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

It just... keeps scrolling :staredog:

I mean you know it's bad but it's pretty easy to forget just how bad it actually is.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Remember Brandis has (depending on what gossip you believe) his eyes on being appointed to the high court or ambassador to the UK.

Maybe they can get his advice on how to Brexit. Pretty sure nobody over there knows what to do about it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

If Hockey can get ambassador to America I think Brandis' biggest problem would be competition with Abbott.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
For those who aren't interested in sportsball, what's #WSW and what does it have to do with Wilson?

chyaroh
Aug 8, 2007

Starshark posted:

For those who aren't interested in sportsball, what's #WSW and what does it have to do with Wilson?

Western Sydney Wanderers, one of the A-League football (soccer) teams. A few of their fans were somewhat rowdy and got put on ban lists at grounds. I guess Wilson broke the story.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

chyaroh posted:

Western Sydney Wanderers, one of the A-League football (soccer) teams. A few of their fans were somewhat rowdy and got put on ban lists at grounds. I guess Wilson broke the story.

Basically this. The league basically knew who the culprits were but wouldn't do anything about it and it was seriously hurting the game. She got sick of the BS and published the file. She got death threats, etc. One on the list complained to the Press Council here. It is unclear to me how the Tele got hold of the file but from what I remember of the controversy it wasn't that big a secret.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
geez people it's just a ball being kicked around, stop losing your poo poo.

i hope i'm never in the same room as lionhat because i'll either have to punch him multiple times or myself. neither scenario is ideal.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Starshark posted:

For those who aren't interested in sportsball

gently caress off

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Aw, Virginia Haussegger quit Canberra ABC to be a gender activist, because "so much has changed in these past 15 years but so much has not".

That dude's been readin' the news since I was 11.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
ASIO wants the right to lock anyone up and tortureInterrogate for 7 days anyone who is a relative, friend, friend of as friend of a room-mate who the Meta-data pinged by accident and anyone who isn't a member of the LNP, with no reason needed.

I'd give it 4 months before it ends in someone being dead, and 2.9 years before anyone finds out, as that would it past the next election. Mistakes will be made.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Laserface posted:

I dunno about that.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Graic Gabtar posted:

I dunno about that.

In true Australia Post fashion it will just drop off a card that says you weren't home.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

In true Australia Post fashion you will watch it drop off a card that says you weren't home.

fixed for accuracy

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

QUACKTASTIC posted:

fixed for accuracy
Noice.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
AusPost is losing a ton of money because of the letters branch of its service. It makes money on the parcel stuff. The problem is, they can't just drop the letter side of things.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
First Dog:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I once met a postie who gave me a card saying I wasn't home and I asked him where my parcel was and he said I should collect it because he is running behind schedule or something.

Do posties have a time limit like bus drivers for their routes?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

yeah, basically. They work as contractors, and Auspost sets the targets for their shifts.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Good job first dog. What you really needed was to be more awkward and obscure.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Pidgin Englishman posted:

Good job first dog. What you really needed was to be more awkward and obscure.

:thejoke:

Tokamak posted:

yeah, basically. They work as contractors, and Auspost sets the targets for their shifts.

A classic example of how outsourcing fails. in fact a repetition of what happened with Telstra technicians/contractors.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Tokamak posted:

And on a good day they barely make the minimum wage...
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-07-30/parcel-drivers-claim-underpayment-by-australia-post-contractors/6661142

ewe2 posted:

A classic example of how outsourcing fails. in fact a repetition of what happened with Telstra technicians/contractors.
Yeah Telstra spun a lot of their work off into a subsidiary called IGSM that makes techs buy cans and tools, and pays them gently caress all and doesn't allow enough time to do good work.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Milky Moor posted:

AusPost is losing a ton of money because of the letters branch of its service. It makes money on the parcel stuff. The problem is, they can't just drop the letter side of things.

I regularly get parcels delivered from Melbourne to regional NSW by auspost. Online tracking indicates:
Day 1 - received by auspost in melbourne
Day 2 - received in sydney facility
Day 3 through 6 - *mystery*
Day 7 - depart sydney, arrive north coast nsw

If i chip in for express post, this compresses to two days tops. I suspect ordinary parcels are being deliberately held to make express more attractive.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Auspost flat out fails to deliver anything other than regular mail in my area, they will just drop the dumb "we missed you card" and then the parcel is ????????? until 9am/3pm the next day.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Capt.Whorebags posted:

I regularly get parcels delivered from Melbourne to regional NSW by auspost. Online tracking indicates:
Day 1 - received by auspost in melbourne
Day 2 - received in sydney facility
Day 3 through 6 - *mystery*
Day 7 - depart sydney, arrive north coast nsw

If i chip in for express post, this compresses to two days tops. I suspect ordinary parcels are being deliberately held to make express more attractive.

How the gently caress would they hold only ordinary parcels?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
So ausposties can just exploit the cards with no punishment?

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I think it's more likely that Sydney sorting is a shitfight mess central sorting facility for everything. They definitely sort the bulk of international parcels and, while I haven't posted to west-cost states, all of my Brisbane bound parcels have stopped off in a Sydney sorting facility first. They seem to only have the big VIC facility in Sunshine West and the NSW in C-something-I-forget.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

In true Australia Post fashion it will just drop off a card that says you weren't home.

After flying across the continent twice.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Anidav posted:

So ausposties can just exploit the cards with no punishment?

That's a why, Anidav, not a how.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
A friend of mine had a fairly lucrative run that took in Chadstone Shopping Dungeon (Melbourne).

He got completely undercut by not only AP trying to drive down the price but people also willing to accept it knowing they could employ students etc. hosed over from two directions. I don't think the concept of outsourcing is bad per se as he made an OK living and his 'customers' used to love the service over previous arrangements - just poo poo oversight. The laws are already on the books for illegal workers.

Yet we complain about the price of postage...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nockturne
Aug 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Starshark posted:

Gawd it's like fackin War and Peace.

It's much more Kafka-esque. Expecting to wake up any day now as a cockroach.

• Locked thread