Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
"The last time an Australian prime-minister served a full term, the iPhone had not been invented."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Howard was still in when the first iPhone came out.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Gillard just broke 3 consecutive years as PM, which I admit isn't quite the same thing.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/oct/05/police-refused-indigenous-interpreter-witnesses-to-shooting-says-legal-service

quote:

Western Australian police refused to use local Indigenous language interpreters to interview witnesses to the police shooting of an Indigenous man in Broome despite being told they did not speak English well enough to understand their legal rights, the Aboriginal Legal Service has said.

Police shot the 66-year-old man in the stomach on Monday night after the man allegedly threatened a taxi driver and then police officers with a knife.

He was flown to Perth for surgery on Tuesday and a spokeswoman from Royal Perth hospital said he was in a serious condition.

Police claimed the man, who was from Balgo, a remote Indigenous community 926km from Broome, on the edge of the Tanami desert, had become agitated while sharing a taxi with two women from the same community.

Those women were picked up by police and taken to Broome police station for interview about 10am on Tuesday.

Paul Tobin, managing lawyer of the West Kimberley branch of the Aboriginal Legal Service of WA, said he advised the Kimberley district superintendent, Allan Adams, soon after that the women would require an interpreter.

Tobin said the women spoke Kukatja, a language not widely spoken outside Balgo, as well as some English and some creole. He said their family had described their English skills as poor and that “they would not be able to tell any story without the assistance of an interpreter”.

Kimberley Interpreting Service, WA’s only Aboriginal language interpreting service, had two registered Kukatja interpreters available in Broome.

But Tobin said an officer investigating the shooting said he would not use anyone from Kimberley Interpreting Service.

“He said, ‘I won’t deal with them, I won’t deal with Kimberley Interpreting Service’,” Tobin told Guardian Australia. “He refused to explain. And then I essentially said you should delay speaking with them, and he said, ‘we just want to have a little chat’.”

Tobin said the officer told him they had already spoken to one of the women, in a video-recorded interview, but had to cease the interview when she became unwell (for reasons unconnected to the investigation) and had to go to hospital. They then began speaking to the second woman.

In a statement to Guardian Australia, WA police denied an interview took place, saying the women “were spoken to and arrangements made to conduct a formal interview with the aid of an interpreter at a later date”.

WA Police were investigated by the Corruption and Crime Commission (CCC) for their failure to use appropriate interpreters when speaking to Indigenous suspects and witnesses in a high-profile case involving a Pintupi-speaking man named Gene Gibson, who was convicted of killing non-Indigenous man Joshua Warneke in Broome in 2010.

Gibson was originally charged with murder but the charge was downgraded to manslaughter after the supreme court ruled police interviews were inadmissible because they violated his right to an interpreter under the Criminal Investigation Act 2006.

In June his lawyers lodged an appeal with the supreme court, saying the manslaughter conviction, on the basis of a guilty plea, had been a miscarriage of justice.

Eleven police officers were reprimanded for their role in the investigation and three received a commissioner’s loss of confidence notice, the highest internal reprimand.

In January the police commissioner, Karl O’Callaghan, announced a suite of reforms, including a pre-recorded Aboriginal language caution, in response to the CCC review.

Tobin said he had not seen any improvement since the Gibson case.

“The police have not used the Kimberley Interpreting Service [for any of my clients] in my four years here at the ALS,” he said. “Not once with any witness or any victim.”

He said the failure to do so “can leave gaping holes in versions of events” and “regularly led to injustice.”

“The risk is that someone’s version of events can be completely misinterpreted through two person’s inability to speak the same language,” he said. “When you have people that think they do have experience with people from language groups that aren’t spoken regularly, like Kukatja language, and you have police officers who don’t speak Kukatja but think, ‘oh, I can speak with Aboriginal people,’ then the risk of misinterpretation is heightened.”

Police procedures in WA explicitly recommend the use of the Kimberley Interpreting Service when an Indigenous witness or suspect does not have sufficient English competency to understand their legal rights or provide an accurate statement.

The Kimberley Interpreting Service chief executive, Dee Lightfoot, told Guardian Australia that police calls for assistance had increased markedly since the Gibson investigation, going from “one call in 10 years” to about 10 calls in the past two months.

Lightfoot said the service contacted police in Broome on Tuesday and offered their services, and was “greatly disappointed” witnesses were spoken to without an interpreter present.

Police said they had made arrangements to use a Northern Territory service that “offers qualified reliable interpreters who speak all the Western desert languages.”

“WA Police are aware a number of the Kimberley Interpreting Service staff have links to or live at Balgo and considered there may have been a conflict of interest to use this service,” a police spokesman said.

But Lightfoot said there was only one certified interpreter outside of Kimberley Interpreting Service that spoke the WA language, and as of Tuesday evening neither that person nor the NT’s Aboriginal Interpreter Service had been contacted.

She also said the language was not widely spoken outside of Balgo’s 460 residents so all speakers had a level of familiarity with the community.

She said the service had a good relationship with police and she did not understand why they would object to using local interpreters.

The WA chief justice, Wayne Martin, has publicly advocated for the service, saying a failure to provide interpreters was an example of systemic discrimination that contributed to WA having the highest Indigenous incarceration rate in the country.
WA, trying hard to be the worst state.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/oct/05/nigel-scullion-defends-harmful-indigenous-work-for-the-dole-program

quote:

The Indigenous affairs minister, Nigel Scullion, has defended the remote employment and welfare system after a draft report found it to be causing “more harm than good”.

The report by Jobs Australia, a peak body representing not-for-profit employment services, examined the federal Community Development Program (CDP) which operates mostly in remote Indigenous communities and pays unemployment benefits for “work-like activity”.

It found that the CDP, with 85% of participants Indigenous, had more onerous conditions and requirements than non-remote programs like Jobactive, and resulted in CDP participants being financially penalised about 70 times more often.

A spokesman for Scullion said the minister was unable to comment on a draft of a document he is yet to receive, but said he was “concerned at the use of anecdotal reports to criticise the outcomes of the Community Development Program.”
Trying real hard.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
"Have I made the wrong decision? No, it's the 'experts' who are wrong" - most politicians.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
A CONTROVERSIAL Sydney Imam has had a shoe thrown at him during a live interview on Egyptian television after suggesting Muslim women weren’t required to wear the burka.

Dr Mostafa Rashid suggested the wearing of the burka was a cultural tradition rather than a religious duty, infuriating fellow guest, Egyptian lawyer Nabih al-Wahsh, who removed his shoe and began hitting the Australian with it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

shoeria law

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

So controversial in this case means he's too liberal?

[EDIT: Apparently it does http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...4979e9df4e92333
https://now.mmedia.me/lb/en/interviews/553382-the-sheikh-who-lifted-the-veil ]

open24hours fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Oct 5, 2016

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

There goes the car industry.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Now to get these lazy, good-for-nothing fucks off newstart. Get a job!

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
get em building transmission lines/towers there's plenty of work there

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

open24hours posted:

There goes the car industry.

Geelong's crime rate now set to explode.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

TheHeadSage posted:

Wow, a whole lot of people suddenly don't want to work!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

TheHeadSage posted:

The headline of the Geelong Advertisiter just the other day was saying how violent and property crime have risen and police expect it to go through the roof.

Not surprising when people lose the only job they've ever known.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

TheHeadSage posted:

And around Broadmeadows

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Jesus Christ. "We can't use these interpreters because they have links to the community, which also happens to be literally the only place one can learn to speak their language"

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Now to get these lazy, good-for-nothing fucks off newstart. Get a job!

Imagine if all the mass sacked auto workers had to wait a month or two (or whatever it was) for their first Newstart payment :v:

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

DancingShade posted:

Imagine if all the mass sacked auto workers had to wait a month or two (or whatever it was) for their first Newstart payment :v:
Six months in the most cruel of incarnations.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

DancingShade posted:

But that only applies to Millennials, the laziest generation.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
"An organisation founded by the Australian Christian Lobby plans to bankroll legal cases for business owners who refuse to provide services to gay couples should marriage equality be legalised.

The Human Rights Law Alliance, set up in Canberra last month with seed funding from the ACL, is seeking private contributions for a “fighting fund” to run cases that may arise if changes to the Marriage Act are passed."

"The resources minister, Matt Canavan, says the abuse of Australia’s legal system by green groups seeking to delay mining projects warrants a “fundamental” review of environmental law.

Canavan on Wednesday used a Queensland Media Club luncheon speech to take aim at activists who harbour an anti-development ideology."

"The head of ANZ has admitted that some of the bank’s customers have not been advised that their financial advisers have been banned by the Australian Securities and Investments Commission."

Today's news...

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
What are the legal requirements for providing services to same sex couples in Australia anyway?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Zenithe posted:

What are the legal requirements for providing services to same sex couples in Australia anyway?

:quagmire:

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-05/solicitor-general-says-george-brandis-did-not-consult-on-issues/7906588 posted:

The second-highest law officer in Australia has publicly criticised Federal Attorney-General George Brandis, claiming he was not consulted on marriage equality and citizenship laws.

I don't know enough about this to comment on it in any detail but this is pretty much the kind of behavior I expect from the LNP. Just making poo poo up without consulting anyone.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Cartoon posted:

Six months in the most cruel of incarnations.

I could see Abbot being right behind that as his "Western cultural wank think tank initiative".

He'd call it encouraging a resurgence in the proud Australian tradition of brush rangers. Without knowing what that means other than vaguely remembering a couple old songs and some children's story character called Ned Kelly.

Is it too late to add a "gently caress Brandis"? I don't think it is. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-05/solicitor-general-says-george-brandis-did-not-consult-on-issues/7906588

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Oct 5, 2016

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

DancingShade posted:

I could see Abbot being right behind that as his "Western cultural wank think tank initiative".

He'd call it encouraging a resurgence in the proud Australian tradition of brush rangers. Without knowing what that means other than vaguely remembering a couple old songs and some children's story character called Ned Kelly.

Is it too late to add a "gently caress Brandis"? I don't think it is. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-05/solicitor-general-says-george-brandis-did-not-consult-on-issues/7906588

Its never too late to add a "gently caress Brandis".

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
gently caress George Brandis.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

gently caress George Brandis.
hopefully this warms the cockles of your heart. stop the banana boats etc etc

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Noice.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

A bare arse, or George brandis?

Trick question, it's both

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
https://twitter.com/MattAkersten/status/783512581487128577

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Left-wing whites need euthanasia.

:what:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

I'm the protest photo that's zoomed in so five people look like a crowd.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

the counter protest was about six times bigger

also the protestors got moved on because they were disturbing the daycare they were protesting next to, lomarf

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
You know it occurs to me that if they bought along a "pedophilia scum" sign they really should have stood outside a place of worship.

Also lol I just realised they had one more sign in that photo than people to hold them.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
It sounds like George did mislead parliament, but is going to bluff his way through.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Zenithe posted:

Left-wing whites need euthanasia.

:what:

I like the little antifa symbol with a red cross through it. I'm an anti-anti-fascist me :downs:.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I like the little antifa symbol with a red cross through it. I'm an anti-anti-fascist me :downs:.

I saw "anti-anti-fa" tagged on a bus seat and thought, you know there's an easier way to say that...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

• Locked thread