Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manifisto

Make something inspired by a poem or a snippet of a poem; share a bit of poetry that interests you as an inspiration for others.

This is an experiment intended as a . . . hmm, slight departure from the usual BYOB paradigm. Jokes, parody, and riffing on things are expected and welcome, but I'd also like to encourage more sincere/unironic responses, if people feel like contributing such things. Actual critiques and analysis are pefectly fine, for example. The idea is to give people a reason to read poems and react to them, even if it's expressing appreciation in an unconventional way. About the only rule in the thread is to credit the poems you cite/reference and link wherever possible to the full text or excerpts online.

It may go without saying, but my intention here is not to belittle poetry or poets or those interested in such things. Poems are often profound, uncomfortable, and difficult, and to the extent there is humor here it is sort of whistling in the dark.

I'd like to start with a poem I quite love, Wallace Stevens' "Anecdote of the Jar" (it's in the public domain, so quoting it in full is OK):

Wallace Stevens posted:

I placed a jar in Tennessee,
And round it was, upon a hill.
It made the slovenly wilderness
Surround that hill.

The wilderness rose up to it,
And sprawled around, no longer wild.
The jar was round upon the ground
And tall and of a port in air.

It took dominion everywhere.
The jar was gray and bare.
It did not give of bird or bush,
Like nothing else in Tennessee.

I have a lot of thoughts about this poem, actually too many; it seems to overflow with possible meanings. But here are some responses:

quote:

I set a jar upon a hill
Presumably it sits there still

Ronald Reagan posted:

These visitors to Tennessee do not come as white or black, red or yellow; they are not Jews or Christians; conservatives or liberals; or Democrats or Republicans. They are Americans awed by what has gone before, proud of what for them is still . . . a plain gray jar upon a hill.

If people want to respond to "Anecdote of the Jar" they are of course welcome to, but I'm going to put out another quote as a suggestion, excerpted from Yeats' "Sailing to Byzantium"

William Butler Yeats posted:

Once out of nature I shall never take
My bodily form from any natural thing,
But such a form as Grecian goldsmiths make
Of hammered gold and gold enamelling
To keep a drowsy Emperor awake;
Or set upon a golden bough to sing
To lords and ladies of Byzantium
Of what is past, or passing, or to come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

free Trapt CD

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*
thank you. great thread. i'll post more elaborately later here but i'm already glad to have read that wallace stevens one. american poetry is something we have little access to where i live - in school we looked at english poets and american movies. can't wait to pick into it later, thanks manifisto!

~sig~

bacalou

sublime is a pretty good band

Manifisto

bacalou posted:

sublime is a pretty good band

<:mad:> what did I say about citations??

""Wrong Way" by Sublime posted:

pre:
twentyseven bums give a prostitute the once
-over. Fiftythree(and one would see if it could)

say the breasts look very good:

firmlysquirmly with a slight jounce;

thirteen pants have a hunch

admit in threedimensional distress
these hips were made for Horizontal Business
(set on big legs nice to pinch

assiduously which justgraze
each other). As the lady lazily struts
                               (her
thickish flesh superior to the genuine daze
of unmarketable excitation,

whose careless movements carefully scatter

pink propaganda of annihilation

ty nesamdoom!

Jerry Mumphrey

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

there once was a man named mumphrey
whose bathtub was quite soap scum free

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Android Blues

ive always had a feeling about yeats' byzantium that it comes from a place of self-doubt or self-loathing. the idea of escaping to this utopian idyll is right there on the surface, but then he wants to become like, a golden statue or a mechanical bird? its a self-castration fantasy, he wants to be something other than human, and he wants his body to be something other than his body. this far away place where he doesn't have to be anything real or flawed is i think more subtly sad than uplifting if you view it in the lens of yeats' fairly depressing life

Android Blues

just the idea of being "out of nature" is surface-level transcendental but also i think tracks to a fear of nature, and a loathing of the transient self as it is inherent in nature

like look at this

quote:

Whatever is begotten, born, and dies.
Caught in that sensual music all neglect
Monuments of unageing intellect.

this m'fer wants to be just a thought. he doesnt just fear death he fears the ugly "sensuality" of plain up just existing, too. its a shockingly quiver sad poem

Android Blues

pretty relatable though. sometimes when im going to sleep at night i wish a surgeon would turn me into a metal bird, so, yeah, thats fairly universal human sh*t

Android Blues

also interesting how you have the duality of born - begotten - dies in the fearful, escaping part of the poem and then past - or passing - or to come in the triumphant yeats is now a metal bird part. he fears time and fantasises about an escape from the mortality that makes it dreadful, so that he can enjoy it through gods' lens. never gonna happen buddy tho, youre dead now

Android Blues

yeats being dead - also makes the poem sad?? expand this into one paragraph

Manifisto

that's interesting Android Blues, thanks.

there is a pretty good sf short story (novella, I guess) called "Sailing to Byzantium" by Robert Silverberg, I always thought it was an interesting riff on the poem

the undercurrent you mention is unmistakable, but I always thought of it as intentional - I guess I see the poem as ironic and self-deprecating, mocking the idea that poetry, especially his own poetry, could be a timeless and transcendent artifact (a "monument[] of unageing intellect"). bringing it out of nature brings it to exactly the wrong place, where the poet is merely an artificial bird singing the same song over and over, a mockery of the natural world and God's creation.

I seem to recall my undergrad English professor pointing out that the choice of Byzantium referred to Yeats' view that the Byzantine Empire itself was a fake, impostor successor to the Roman empire - so the narrator's daydreams of going there specifically demonstrates a flawed ambition

but that was a while ago and I could be misremembering

ty nesamdoom!

Android Blues

thats a really interesting read too. in my own seminar on the subject the prof saw it as a very transcendalist-type piece so my read was instinctively critical because, as you mention, i feel its hard to miss that this is a little bit of a sad fantasy.

also i drew what i think yeats might look like in his bird form

Manifisto

Android Blues posted:

thats a really interesting read too. in my own seminar on the subject the prof saw it as a very transcendalist-type piece so my read was instinctively critical because, as you mention, i feel its hard to miss that this is a little bit of a sad fantasy.

also i drew what i think yeats might look like in his bird form

:love:

ty nesamdoom!

Android Blues

[terminator vision view of bird yeats tracking body heat]

code:
ASSESSING GYRE ... 97.8% PROBABILITY OF FALCONER BODY HEAT MATCH ... OBEY PRIME DIRECTIVE ... SAVE BETHLEHEM ...

Android Blues

ive been reading emily dickinson lately. the pure joy and shy cleverness evident in her poems is intoxicating and reminds you of what makes poetry of itself "fun". theyre also often tinged with a bit of pathos but it all seems laced in a wry confidence of understanding. heres one i like:

quote:

I know that he exists
Somewhere, in silence.
He has hid his rare life
From our gross eyes.

'Tis an instant's play,
'Tis a fond ambush,
Just to make bliss
Earn her own surprise!

But should the play
Prove piercing earnest,
Should the glee glaze
In death's stiff stare,

Would not the fun
Look too expensive?
Would not the jest
Have crawled too far?

its the most calm and witty yet delicately wistful wrangle with faith. seeing her wrestle with the concept of god is always heartening because it is neither melodramatic nor too cynical: she admits her own lack of knowledge and gives her doubt good reason. and her fear, here under the bones of the poem, is so understated as to be polite. nice

Android Blues

also i have a cheapie wordsworth edition so some of the punctuation has been smoothed over but - the point - gets across!

Manifisto

what do you think she means by the play "prov[ing] piercing earnest"? that God does not in fact exist? that he exists but is something wholly different from what we expect? that the narrator may find herself banished to hell instead of the anticipated "bliss"? something else?

but I agree, the light touch is very effective.

here is a quickie of skele-dickinson waiting for the big reveal:

ty nesamdoom!

Gene Hackman Fan

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
young ewing allison was a newspaper editor and columnist who took a couple of lines to a fictional sea shanty that robert louis stevenson made up for treasure island, and made a whole poem out of it called 'derelict'

the first time i ever read it, i was really knocked back by how graphic it was:

quote:

Fifteen men on the Dead Man's Chest
Drink and the devil had done for the rest
The mate was fixed by the bos'n's pike,
The bos'n brained with a marlin spike,
And Cookey's throat was marked belike
It had been gripped
By fingers ten;
And there they lay,
All good dead men
Like break-o'-day in a boozing-ken
Yo-ho-ho and a bottle of rum!

Fifteen men of the whole ship's list
Dead and be damned and the rest gone whist!
The skipper lay with his nob in gore
Where the scullion's axe his cheek had shore
And the scullion he was stabbed times four.
And there they lay,
And the soggy skies
Dripped all day long
In upstaring eyes
In murk sunset and at foul sunrise

Fifteen men of 'em stiff and stark
Ten of the crew had the Murder mark
'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead,
Or a yawing hole in a battered head
And the scuppers glut with a rotting red
And there they lay
Aye, drat my eyes
All lookouts clapped
On paradise
All souls bound just contrariwise
Yo-ho-ho and a bottle of rum.

Fifteen men of 'em good and true
Every man jack could ha' sailed with Old Pew
There was chest on chest full of Spanish gold,
With a ton of plate in the middle hold,
And the cabins riot of stuff untold,
And they lay there,
That had took the plum,
With sightless glare
And their lips struck dumb,
While we shared all by the rule of thumb

More was seen through the stern light screen
Chartings no doubt where a woman had been!
A flimsy shift on a bunker cot,
With a thin dirk slot through the bosom spot
And the lace stiff dry in a purplish blot.
Oh was she wench
Or some shuddering maid?
That dared the knife
And took the blade!
By God! she was stuff for a plucky jade

Fifteen men on the Dead Man's Chest
Drink and the devil had done for the rest
We wrapped 'em all in a mains'l tight
With twice ten turns of a hawser's bight
And we heaved 'em over and out of sight
With a Yo-Heave-Ho!
And a fare-you-well!
And a sullen plunge
In the sullen swell,
Ten fathoms deep on the road to hell!

the first time i read through that i was just absentmindedly thumbing through a book of poems in the school library, acting like a shithead. i took poetry a little more seriously as an artform that can affect people ever since reading that poem.

(i mean, i'm still a shithead to this day, but at least i'm conscious of the problem)

Android Blues

Manifisto posted:

what do you think she means by the play "prov[ing] piercing earnest"? that God does not in fact exist? that he exists but is something wholly different from what we expect? that the narrator may find herself banished to hell instead of the anticipated "bliss"? something else?

but I agree, the light touch is very effective.

here is a quickie of skele-dickinson waiting for the big reveal:

thats excellent. youve captured her essence

i think that is a deeply interesting question that i had not fully considered before. because there is that word "earnest" - which implies at face value some agency, because for the trick to BE earnest, someone does still have to be playing it.

"piercing earnest" of course has a sense of the shatteringly real as well, the idea that reality might somehow seep in on god and obviate him, but thats actually a little ephemeral if you want to sit an atheist reading on top of it. one now imagines dickinson considering some non-divine power, or a limited god, capable only of telling you that he is of no use to you

Android Blues

also i just got the play on "play", thats grand haha

Android Blues

maybe dickinsons conception of god admitting the possibility of god being a guy who rubs his toe into the ground and goes "awh, shucks, i was just kidding about the whole all powerful thing, im really sorry" is a form of faith climbdown. shes shifting the window

cda

by Hand Knit

Android Blues posted:

thats excellent. youve captured her essence

i think that is a deeply interesting question that i had not fully considered before. because there is that word "earnest" - which implies at face value some agency, because for the trick to BE earnest, someone does still have to be playing it.

"piercing earnest" of course has a sense of the shatteringly real as well, the idea that reality might somehow seep in on god and obviate him, but thats actually a little ephemeral if you want to sit an atheist reading on top of it. one now imagines dickinson considering some non-divine power, or a limited god, capable only of telling you that he is of no use to you

First two stanzas:

I don't read it that way. Here's what I see. God is hiding. He is hiding because he is waiting to jump out and go BOO! like the prankster he is. The fact that he hides, which might initially seem mean-spirited, is actually God inviting us to play with him and earn the surprise of seeing him for reals when he pops out. It is a "fond ambush" (great phrase, that).

BUT

Second two stanzas:

I'm sure we've all had this experience, either as an ambusher or ambushee: a little kid hides and prepares to jump out and scare someone -- all she's thinking about is how much fun it is and how funny it will be, and she imagines that the person she's going to surprise will be frightened for a second, but then delighted at the play. But instead when she jumps out the other person freaks out "You could've given me a heart attack! What in the world is wrong with you???"

In characteristically morbid fashion, Dickinson imagines the startled ambushee actually having the heart attack. Dying of surprise. The play becomes deadly serious. And if this surprise were not a pleasant startling but a stroke that carries us off to the next world, would we think that the hiding was so playful?

----

it is indeed a cheeky poem. God in this poem is a childlike figure, unable to truly comprehend that to ordinary mortals, this ridiculous play is as serious as it gets. It's comedy to Him, but tragedy to us. Our love of God is a test of faith: would we die for a God we never see? Exactly how far are we willing to take the jest? All the way into infinity?

It's probably too much to see echoes of Hamlet in the poem but I'm gonna put them out there. The word jest appears twice in Hamlet. Once in relation to The Murder of Gonzago/The Mousetrap, the play which Hamlet commands the players to perform in front of Claudius to test his guilt. Just before the player performing Lucianus comes out to murder the player King, Claudius and Hamlet have this exchange:

KING CLAUDIUS
Have you heard the argument? Is there no offence in 't?
HAMLET
No, no, they do but jest, poison in jest; no offence
i' the world.

and then, of course, the extremely famous moment when Hamlet, contemplating the skull of the dead court jester Yorick says:

Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio: a fellow
of infinite jest,

Hamlet is joking in a graveyard, making a play of death, but in just a little while, Ophelia's funeral procession will enter, turning the scene deadly serious.

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit
Related Dickinson, maybe (1263):

Tell all the truth but tell it slant —
Success in Circuit lies
Too bright for our infirm Delight
The Truth's superb surprise

As Lightning to the Children eased
With explanation kind
The Truth must dazzle gradually
Or every man be blind —

----------------

Manifisto

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

young ewing allison was a newspaper editor and columnist who took a couple of lines to a fictional sea shanty that robert louis stevenson made up for treasure island, and made a whole poem out of it called 'derelict'

the first time i ever read it, i was really knocked back by how graphic it was:

the first time i read through that i was just absentmindedly thumbing through a book of poems in the school library, acting like a shithead. i took poetry a little more seriously as an artform that can affect people ever since reading that poem.

(i mean, i'm still a shithead to this day, but at least i'm conscious of the problem)

that's a particularly appropriate poem for the Halloween season, thanks for sharing it!

"the scuppers glut with a rotting red" is a great turn of phrase, and "All lookouts clapped / On paradise / All souls bound just contrariwise" is wonderful pitch-black humor

I'd love to see someone do an art based on this

ty nesamdoom!

Historical Wizards

This is a poem is featured in Heimskringla, which is a history of the Kings of Norway written in the early 13th century.
This is how it is translated in my copy of "King Harald's Saga", which is mealy the section about King Harald 'Hard Ruler' Sigurdsson. (Note: this is the only part of Heimskringla I have read)
Its author is unknown

quote:

The mocking Danish maidens
Carved useless anchors
Out of their crumbling cheeses;
Norway's king was angry.
Today these very maidens
Can see the iron anchors
Holding his eager warships;
And none is laughing now.

Interesting fact about Heimskringla's author Snorri Sturlusson who was also the author of the 'Prose Edda' which acted as a guide or instructional text on skaldic poetry of the time.
He was assassinated at the age of 61, his killers found him hiding in his basement, his last words translate to "Do not strike."
:smith:

Many thanks Social Vegan for the wonderful av, and Fanky Malloons for the sig

Manifisto

well that is an interesting take, thanks. I had assumed that the "ambush" referred to a revelation after death, but you make an excellent point, the "ambush" could be something that occurs during life, a moment of epiphany/enlightenment

the Shakespeare/Hamlet comparison seems apt, I actually did think she meant to invoke the dual meanings of "play," and as you point out Hamlet is very much about plays

actually, come to think of it, the structure of the poem is reminiscent of Hamlet's soliloquy

in both, the first line is a meditation on existence ("To be, or not to be") vs ("I know that He exists")

then there's a big "wait a minute" switch: first Hamlet says death is "a consummation devoutly to be wish'd", but then he questions that premise, saying "to sleep, perchance to Dream; aye, there's the rub, / For in that sleep of death, what dreams may come, / When we have shuffled off this mortal coil, / Must give us pause."

dickinson likewise refers to "bliss" at the revelation of God, but then muses about "But should the play / Prove piercing earnest"

ty nesamdoom!

cda

by Hand Knit
Let's get goofy with Gertrude Stein:

from Lifting Belly
III

Lifting belly in here.
Able to state whimsies.
Can you recollect mistakes.
I hope not.
Bless you.
Lifting belly the best and only seat.
Lifting belly the reminder of present duties.
Lifting belly the charm.
Lifting belly is easy to me.
Lifting belly naturally.
Of course you lift belly naturally.
I lift belly naturally together.
Lifting belly answers.
Can you think for me.
I can.
Lifting belly endears me.
Lifting belly cleanly. With a wood fire. With a good fire.
Say how do you do to the lady. Which lady. The jew lady. How do you do. She is my wife.
Can you accuse lifting belly of extras.
Salmon is salmon. Smoked and the most nourishing.
Pink salmon is my favorite color.
To be sure.
We are so necessary.
Can you wish for me.
I never mention it.
You need not resemble me.
But you do.
Of course you do.
That is very well said.
And meant.
And explained.
I explain too much.
And then I say.
She knows everything
And she does.
Lifting belly beneficently.
I can go on with lifting belly forever. And you do.
I said it first. Lifting belly to engage. And then wishes. I wish to be whimsied. I do that.
A worldly system.
A humorous example.
Lindo see me.
Whimsy see me.
See me.
Lifting belly exaggerates. Lifting belly is reproachful.
Oh can you see.
Yes sir.
Lifting belly mentions the bee.
Can you imagine the noise.
Can you whisper to me.
Lifting belly pronouncedly.
Can you imagine me thinking lifting belly.
Safety first.
That's the trimming.
I hear her snore
On through the door.
I can say that it is my delight.
Lifting belly fairly well.
Lifting belly visibly.
Yes I say visibly.
Lifting belly behind me.
The room is so pretty and clean.
Do you know the rest.
Yes I know the rest.
She knows the rest and will do it.
Lifting belly in eclipse.
There is no such moon for me.
Eclipse indeed can lifting belly be methodical.
In lifting belly yes.
In lifting belly yes.
Can you think of me.
I can and do.
Lifting belly encourages plenty.
Do not speak of San Francisco he is a saint.
Lifting belly shines.
Lifting belly nattily.
Lifting belly to fly.
Not to-day.
Motor.
Lifting belly for wind.
We do not like wind.
We do not mind snow.
Lifting belly partially.
Can you spell for me.
Spell bottle.
Lifting belly remarks.
Can we have the hill.
Of course we can have the hill.
Lifting belly patiently.
Can you see me rise.
Lifting belly says she can.
Lifting belly soundly.
Here is a bun for my bunny.
Every little bun is of honey.
On the little bun is my oney.
My little bun is so funny.
Sweet little bun for my money.
Dear little bun I'm her sunny.
Sweet little bun dear little bun good little bun for my bunny.
Lifting belly merry Christmas.
Lifting belly has wishes.
And then we please her.
What is the name of that pin.
Not a hat pin.
We use elastic.
As garrers.
We are never blamed.
Thank you and see me.
How can I swim.
By not being surprised.
Lifting belly is so kind.
Lifting belly is harmonious.
Can you smile to me.
Lifting belly is prepared.
Can you imagine what I say.
Lifting belly can.
To be remarkable.
To be remarkably so.
Lifting belly and emergencies.
Lifting belly in reading.
Can you say effectiveness.
Lifting belly in reserve.
Lifting belly marches.
There is no song.
Lifting belly marry.
Lifting belly can see the condition.
How do you spell Lindo.
Not to displease.
The dears.
When can I.
When can I.
To-morrow if you like.
Thank you so much.
See you.
We were pleased to receive notes.
In there.
To there.
Can you see spelling.
Anybody can see lines.
Lifting belly is arrogant.
Not with oranges.
Lifting belly inclines me.
To see clearly.
Lifting belly is for me.
I can say truthfully never better.
Believe me lifting belly is not nervous.
Lifting belly is a miracle.
I am with her.
Lifting belly to me.
Very nicely done.
Poetry is very nicely done.
Can you say pleasure.
I can easily say please me.
You do.
Lifting belly is precious.
Then you can sing.
We do not encourage a nightingale.
Do you really mean that.
We literally do.
Then it is an intention.
Not the smell.
Lifting baby is a chance.
Certainly sir.
I please myself.
Can we convince Morlet.
We can.
Then see the way.
We can have a pleasant ford.
And we do.
We will.
See my baby cheerily.
I am celebrated by the lady.
Indeed you are.
I can rhyme
In English.
In loving.
In preparing.
Do not be rough.
I can sustain conversation.
Do you like a title.
Do you like my title.
Do you like my title for you.
Can you agree
We do.
In that way have candles.
And dirt.
Not dirt.
There are two Caesars and there are four Caesars.
Caesars do their duty.
I never make a mistake.
We will be very happy and boastful and we will celebrate Sunday.
How do you like your Aunt Pauline.
She is worthy of a queen.
Will she go as we do dream.
She will do satisfactorily.
And so will we.
Thank you so much.
Smiling to me.
Then we can see him.
Yes we can.
Can we always go.
I think so.
You will be secure.
We are secure.
Then we see.
We see the way.
This is very good for me.
In this way we play.
Then we are pleasing.
We are pleasing to him.
We have gone together.
We are in our Ford.
Please me please me.
We go then.
We go when.
In a minute.
Next week.
Yes indeed oh yes indeed.
I can tell you she is charming in a coat.
Yes and we are full of her praises.
Yes indeed.
This is the way to worry. Not it.
Can you smile.
Yes indeed oh yes indeed.
And so can I.
Can we think.
Wrist leading.
Wrist leading.
A kind of exercise.
A brilliant station.
Do you remember its name.
Yes Morlet.
Can you say wishes.
I can.
Winning baby.
Theoretically and practically.
Can we explain a season.
We can when we are right.
Two is too many.
To be right.
One is right and so we mount and have what we want.
We will remember.
Can you mix birthdays.
Certainly I can.
Then do so.
I do so.
Do I remember to write.
Can he paint.
Not after he has driven a car.
I can write.
There you are.
Lifting belly with me.
You inquire.
What do you do then.
Pushing.
Thank you so much.
And lend a hand.
What is lifting belly now.
My baby.
Always sincerely.
Lifting belly says it there.
Thank you for the cream.
Lifting belly tenderly.
A remarkable piece of intuition.
I have forgotten all about it.
Have you forgotten all about it.
Little nature which is mine.
Fairy ham
Is a clam.
Of chowder
Kiss him Louder.
Can you be especially proud of me.
Lifting belly a queen.
In that way I can think.
Thank you so much.
I have,
Lifting belly for me.
I can not forget the name.
Lifting belly for me.
Lifting belly again.
Can you be proud of me.
I am.
Then we say it.
In miracles.
Can we say it and then sing. You mean drive.
I mean to drive.
We are full of pride.
Lifting belly is proud.
Lifting belly my queen.
Lifting belly happy.
Lifting belly see.
Lifting belly.
Lifting belly address.
Little washers.
Lifting belly how do you do.
Lifting belly is famous for recipes.
You mean Genevieve.
I mean I never ask for potatoes.
But you liked them then.
And now.
Now we know about water.
Lifting belly is a miracle.
And the Caesars.
The Caesars are docile.
Not more docile than is right.
No beautifully right.
And in relation to a cow.
And in relation to a cow.
Do believe me when I incline.
You mean obey.
I mean obey.
Obey me.
Husband obey your wife.
Lifting belly is so dear.
To me.
Lifting belly is smooth,
Tell lifting belly about matches.
Matches can be struck with the thumb.
Not by us.
No indeed.
What is it I say about letters.
Twenty six.
And counted.
And counted deliberately.
This is not as difficult as it seems.
Lifting belly is so strange
And quick.
Lifting belly in a minute.
Lifting belly in a minute now.
In a minute.
Not to-day.
No not to-day.
Can you swim.
Lifting belly can perform aquatics.
Lifting belly is astonishing.
Lifting belly for me.
Come together.
Lifting belly near.
I credit you with repetition.
Believe me I will not say it.
And retirement.
I celebrate something.
Do you.
Lifting belly extraordinarily in haste.
I am so sorry I said it.
Lifting belly is a credit. Do you care about poetry.
Lifting belly in spots.
Do you like ink.
Better than butter.
Better than anything.
Any letter is an alphabet.
When this you see you will kiss me.
Lifting belly is so generous.
Shoes.
Servant.
And Florence.
Then we can sing.
We do among.
I like among.
Lifting belly keeps.
Thank you in lifting belly.
Can you wonder that they don't make preserves.
We ask the question and they answer you give us help.
Lifting belly is so successful.
Is she indeed.
I wish you would not be disobliging.
In that way I am.
But in giving.
In giving you always win.
You mean in effect.
In mean in essence.
Thank you so much we are so much obliged.
This may be a case
Have no fear.
Then we can be indeed.
You are and you must.
Thank you so much.
In kindness you excel.
You have obliged me too.
I have done what is necessary.
Then can I say thank you may I say thank you very much.
Thank you again.
Because lifting belly is about baby.
Three eggs in lifting belly.
Eclair.
Think of it.
Think of that
We think of that.
We produce music.
And in sleeping.
Noises.
Can that be she.
Lifting belly is so kind
Darling wifie is so good.
Little husband would.
Be as good.
If he could.
This was said.
Now we know how to differ.
From that.
Certainly.
Now we say.
Little hubbie is good.
Every Day.
She did want a photograph.
Lifting belly changed her mind.
Do I look fat.
Do I look fat and thin.
Blue eyes and windows.
You mean Vera.
Lifting belly can guess.
Quickly.
Lifting belly is so pleased.
Lifting belly seeks pleasure.
And she finds it altogether.
Lifting belly is my love.
Can you say meritorious.
Yes camellia.
Why do you complain.
Postal cards.
And then.
The Louvre.
After that.
After that Francine.
You don't mean by that name.
What is Spain.
Listen lightly.
But you do.
Don't tell me what you call me.
But he is pleased.
But he is pleased.
That is the way it sounds.
In the morning.
By that bright light.
Will you exchange purses.
You know I like to please you.
Lifting belly is so kind.
Then sign.
I sign the bulletin.
Do the boys remember that nicely.
To-morrow we go there.
And the photographs
The photographs will come.
When
You will see.
Will it please me.
Not suddenly
But soon
Very soon.
But you will hear first.
That will take some time.
Not very long.
What do you mean by long.
A few days.
How few days.
One or two days.
Thank you for saying so.
Thank you so much.
Lifting belly waits splendidly.
For essence.
For essence too.
Can you assure me.
I can and do.
Very well it will come
And I will be happy.
You are happy.
And I will be.
You always will be.
Lifting belly sings nicely.
Not nervously.
No not nervously.
Nicely and forcefully.
Lifting belly is so sweet.
Can you say you say.
In this thought.
I do think lifting belly.
Little love lifting.
Little love light.
Little love heavy.
Lifting belly tight.
Thank you.
Can you turn over.
Rapidly.
Lifting belly so meaningly.
Yes indeed the dog.
He watches.
The little boys.
They whistle on their legs,
Little boys have meadows,
Then they are well.
Very well.
Please be the man.
I am the man.
Lifting belly praises.
And she gives
Health.
And fragrance.
And words.
Lifting belly is in bed.
And the bed has been made comfortable.
Lifting belly knows this.
Spain and torn
Whistling.
Can she whistle to me.
Lifting belly in a flash.
You know the word.
Strawberries grown in Perpignan are not particularly good.
These are inferior kinds.
Kind are a kind.
Lifting belly is sugar.
Lifting belly to me.
In this way I can see.
What
Lifting belly dictate.
Daisy dear.
Lifting belly
Lifting belly carelessly.
I didn't.
I see why you are careful
Can you stick a stick. In what In the carpet.
Can you be careful of the corner.
Mrs. the Mrs. indeed yes.
Lifting belly is charming.
Often to-morrow
I'll try again.
This time I will sin
Not by a prophecy.
That is the truth.
Very well.
When will they change.
They have changed.
Then they are coming
Yes.
Soon.
On the way.
I like the smell of gloves.
Lifting belly has money.
Do you mean cuckoo.
A funny noise.
In the meantime there was lots of singing.
And then and then.
We have a new game
Can you fill it.
Alone.
And is it good
And useful
And has it a name
Lifting belly can change to filling petunia.
But not the same.
It is not the same.
It is the same.
Lifting belly.
So high.
And aiming.
Exactly.
And making
A cow
Come out.
Indeed I was not mistaken.
Come do not have a cow.
He has.
Well then.
Dear Daisy.
She is a dish.
A dish of good.
Perfect.
Pleasure,
In the way of dishes.
Willy.
And Milly.
In words.
So loud.
Lifting belly the dear.
Protection.
Protection
Protection
Speculation
Protection
Protection.
Can the furniture shine.
Ask me.
What is my answer.
Beautifully.
Is there a way of being careful
Of what.
Of the South.
By going to it.
We will go.
For them.
For them again.
And is there any likelihood of butter.
We do not need butter.
Lifting belly enormously and with song.
Can you sing about a cow.
Yes.
And about signs.
Yes.
And also about Aunt Pauline.
Yes.
Can you sing at your work.
Yes.
In the meantime listen to Miss Cheetham.
In the midst of writing.
In the midst of writing there is merriment.

----------------

Manifisto

cda posted:

Let's get goofy with Gertrude Stein:

cool, thanks for the contribution!

as an aside, it's great that you've included such a substantial passage, but I wonder if there's a way to format it so that people reading the thread don't have to scroll so much? I guess SA doesn't support a "collapse" tag, that would be handy.

as to the poem itself, "goofy" is a great way to describe it, in a sort of giddy upbeat way. I did have to look up what it was about, and was interested to learn that my initial take--pregnancy--wasn't entirely right, but also wasn't necessarily entirely wrong. I unfortunately have this only secondhand, but apparently one critic (Rebecca Mark) sees the poem in the following way:

"Astrid Lorange posted:

By [Mark's] account, in Lifting Belly Stein "births" a queer aesthetic: in composing the work, she is "heavy with the weight lying in her . . . She is heavy and full with love with the desire to express her love. She is excited and she is pregnant" and "must create a place where she can make love and give birth." For Mark, this queer aesthetic reimagines maternity as a kind of feminine creativity, not defined by or restricted to (heteronormative forms of) reproduction.

For the record, Lorange has a different take, which is set forth in the linked work.

I've always sort of been interested in the prevalent trope of poets, particularly male ones, feminizing themselves and portraying themselves as vessels or wombs in which poetry is somehow inspired and gestated. in this metaphor the poets don't make poems so much as birth them, which in a way seems related to something FilthIncarnate said in his thread regarding Robert Frost.. FI analogized poetry to digging a ditch rather than producing a fancy object through deliberate artifice.

I like FilthIncarnate's metaphor because it seems to describe poetry as a process of stripping away and revealing, ending up with a void or hole, an empty space that is still by its shape significant (and therefore not actually "empty").. in one sense this seems quite opposite to the "filling up" of a womb-void as in the traditional trope, but in another sense making the hole simultaneously fills it with meaning. (apologies to FilthIncarnate if I am misrepresenting his views, this is my own take and not something he said)

to me this seems pertinent to the poem I opened the thread with, "Anecdote of the Jar." in one reading, the jar is the poem, and instead of Keats' fancily decorated Grecian urn it is gray and featureless and defined by its shaped (round, tall, open) central void. the void itself, or perhaps the delineation between void and non-void, wilderness and non-wilderness, the natural world and the world of artifice, somehow both reflects and defines the world around it - and perhaps ultimately overwhelms it while simultaneously failing to contain it.

Stein's poem--which I would call playful, organic, joyous--is quite a contrast to Stevens' spare asceticism, but in a sense it seems they are wrestling with related themes

ty nesamdoom!

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
this is an amazing thread

i always loved the idea that we sang before we spoke, and from song and sounds we made words to pass on stories and ideas. It's quicker and more efficient to speak in metaphors but the inevitable journey of understanding leads to language and the ability to clarify the metaphors so that we can understand, debate and discuss what they mean. poetry is just a deconstruction of the clutter of ordered words and a step back to the unconscious where less is more.

Manifisto

Historical Wizards posted:

This is a poem is featured in Heimskringla, which is a history of the Kings of Norway written in the early 13th century.
This is how it is translated in my copy of "King Harald's Saga", which is mealy the section about King Harald 'Hard Ruler' Sigurdsson. (Note: this is the only part of Heimskringla I have read)
Its author is unknown

Interesting fact about Heimskringla's author Snorri Sturlusson who was also the author of the 'Prose Edda' which acted as a guide or instructional text on skaldic poetry of the time.
He was assassinated at the age of 61, his killers found him hiding in his basement, his last words translate to "Do not strike."
:smith:

"im not owned! im not owned!!", the danish king continued to insist as he slowly shrunk and transformed into a crumbling cheese

seriously though, it's interesting and sort of disturbing . . . a lot of implied violence

ty nesamdoom!

Manifisto

Luvcow posted:

this is an amazing thread

i always loved the idea that we sang before we spoke, and from song and sounds we made words to pass on stories and ideas. It's quicker and more efficient to speak in metaphors but the inevitable journey of understanding leads to language and the ability to clarify the metaphors so that we can understand, debate and discuss what they mean. poetry is just a deconstruction of the clutter of ordered words and a step back to the unconscious where less is more.

that's a really cool way of looking at it.

it may be impossible to generalize this, but do you think lyrics add to music or detract (or none of the above)?

I always sort of liked Frank Black (of the Pixies)'s approach to at least some of his songs. one quote of his is "I'm less concerned with making sense than making the lyrics pop out of the speaker when people are listening to the music." there's a certain appeal to making lyrics that are evocative but don't burden the listener too much with trying to extract meaning, which could distract from listening to and appreciating the sound

I saw Sigur Rós in concert the other day and I sort of liked the fact that the lyrics were in Icelandic. while I knew something meaningful was being conveyed, I had to approach the songs based on the way they were being performed and sung, not the words.

ty nesamdoom!

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Manifisto posted:

that's a really cool way of looking at it.

it may be impossible to generalize this, but do you think lyrics add to music or detract (or none of the above)?

I always sort of liked Frank Black (of the Pixies)'s approach to at least some of his songs. one quote of his is "I'm less concerned with making sense than making the lyrics pop out of the speaker when people are listening to the music." there's a certain appeal to making lyrics that are evocative but don't burden the listener too much with trying to extract meaning, which could distract from listening to and appreciating the sound

I saw Sigur Rós in concert the other day and I sort of liked the fact that the lyrics were in Icelandic. while I knew something meaningful was being conveyed, I had to approach the songs based on the way they were being performed and sung, not the words.

theres a lot out there on the idea, here's a quick and easy link to an NPR story:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=129155123

huge fan of frank black and ya i think your sigur ros analogy is spot on, there's something kind of beautiful and haunting about music when you can't understand all of the lyrics.

just the idea that part of our disconnect from nature was linked to language itself, the attempt to explain and decode what it is we are in this life seems to take us farther away from what we are looking for (i.e. every answer to a question just raises at least two more questions) and pretty much any form of meditation loops back to one having to clear their mind, somehow reconnect with the universal unconscious, something animals and the rest of nature seem to effortlessly do. the whole idea of the garden of eden and how we can never return, the concept that once we became conscious we inadvertently lost our way.

cda

by Hand Knit

Manifisto posted:

cool, thanks for the contribution!

as an aside, it's great that you've included such a substantial passage, but I wonder if there's a way to format it so that people reading the thread don't have to scroll so much? I guess SA doesn't support a "collapse" tag, that would be handy.

If it was easy to find a version online I would have linked to that, but the only online version I could find is formatted wrong, with a space in between each line, and I feel like a poet like Stein, who was so precise in the form and intention of her poems, would not be okay with that. I do wish we had a collapse tag.

Manifisto posted:

as to the poem itself, "goofy" is a great way to describe it, in a sort of giddy upbeat way. I did have to look up what it was about, and was interested to learn that my initial take--pregnancy--wasn't entirely right, but also wasn't necessarily entirely wrong. I unfortunately have this only secondhand, but apparently one critic (Rebecca Mark) sees the poem in the following way:

For the record, Lorange has a different take, which is set forth in the linked work.

This mode of criticism does not seem quite right for Stein, to me. Her writing is very specifically about the way that language in all of its elements -- syntax, rhythm, connotation and denotation, rhyme etc -- creates and negotiates context for itself. For example, look at ROASTBEEF, which is the first entry in her book Tender Buttons

Just a few quotes:

quote:

In the inside there is sleeping, in the outside there is reddening, in the morning there is meaning, in the evening there is feeling. In the evening there is feeling. In feeling anything is resting, in feeling anything is mounting, in feeling there is resignation, in feeling there is recognition, in feeling there is recurrence and entirely mistaken there is pinching. All the standards have steamers and all the curtains have bed linen and all the yellow has discrimination and all the circle has circling. This makes sand.
There is no use there is no use at all in smell, in taste, in teeth, in toast, in anything, there is no use at all and the respect is mutual.

A sound, a whole sound is not separation, a whole sound is in an order.
A sentence of a vagueness that is violence is authority and a mission and stumbling and also certainly also a prison. Calmness, calm is beside the plate and in way in. There is no turn in terror. There is no volume in sound.

Here we see Stein making assertions about meaning, about feeling, and about the way that they interact in the medium of speech and the written word. The relation between these assertions and the supposed subject -- roast beef -- is complicated, but if you read the work as a whole you can see that the goal isn't to represent the reality of real roast beef using language as a tool (there is no use at all in smell, in taste, in teeth, in toast, in anything), but rather to create a "roast beefiness" within the text that stands independently of whatever roast beef may be in the world.

I see the same thing going on with Lifting Belly. What is is Lifting Belly? It's not a euphemism for lesbian sex, or pregnancy. It's Lifting Belly, and what Lifting Belly is is delineated by the poem. The phrase may be suggestive of sex, or pregnancy or (this is the suggestion that has the most resonance to me) laughter, but it is not those things. It is thing that suggests those things, while being itself. If it was just sex, Stein would have said so. She famously said that a rose is a rose is a rose, and so lifting belly is lifting belly is lifting belly.

The study of Stein shouldn't be the study of "what she really means" but instead the study of how the poems create their own meaning, and which discursive modes frame that meaning. A Rothko or Rauschenberg, a Pollock or Klee, doesn't represent anything in the world: the painting creates its own world from the pure objects of painting. This is how it is with Stein's poems and language.

Manifisto posted:

to me this seems pertinent to the poem I opened the thread with, "Anecdote of the Jar." in one reading, the jar is the poem, and instead of Keats' fancily decorated Grecian urn it is gray and featureless and defined by its shaped (round, tall, open) central void. the void itself, or perhaps the delineation between void and non-void, wilderness and non-wilderness, the natural world and the world of artifice, somehow both reflects and defines the world around it - and perhaps ultimately overwhelms it while simultaneously failing to contain it.

Steven's concerns are essentially Romantic: the contentious relationship between the mind and the world, with the mind as the ultimate victor (this victory is happy or tragic, depending on the poem). Shelley's "Mont Blanc" is, I think, the starting point for understanding Stevens. The world (the "everlasting universe of things") is so overwhelming, so crushingly full, but without the mind to recognize this fullness, the fullness is nothing. Rumi's "The Chinese and Greek Artists" would be another starting point.. Time and time again, Steven's kings or emperors are rulers of nothing, but not a negative nothing (the "Nothing that is not there"): a positive nothing ("the nothing that is") into which anything can be projected, reflected and (tragically) distorted.

Anyway, I think Stein's themes, while an extension of the Romantic conception of the mind's power to create from itself the conditions of its own immanence, is much more truly modernist than Stevens. Rather than negotiating the relationship between the world and the mind, Stein's writing takes it for granted that the mind is all there is. The radical subjectivity which is the end of a Steven's poem is the beginning of Stein's poetry, which is one of the reasons it's so much more joyful; there's an air of lament in most High Modernism, an anxiety that the recognition of subjectivity leaves the self searching for lost meaning and lost time. To get sociological about it, the shift to subjectivity was probably much more disturbing to relatively well-off heterosexual white men like Stevens and Eliot than it was to a relative outsider like Stein. For her, cultural conditions allowed her to articulate an identity separate from the previously available possibilities. For them, those same conditions eradicated comfortably stable identities and left them trying to pick up the pieces.

----------------

Manifisto

Luvcow posted:

theres a lot out there on the idea, here's a quick and easy link to an NPR story:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=129155123

I love the fact that this article mentions, and has a link to another article about, parrots dancing

it's amazing to me that there is another species on the planet that (apparently) shares our love of and joy in music

the (second, linked) article suggests that elephants may also fall into this category--also amazing, I didn't know that

on your second point--you mentioned meditation; Buddhist thought (especially, say, Zen Buddhism) is fascinating in this context. maybe it's a derail for the thread, but I was sort of trying to (clumsily) allude to this sort of thing in one of the images in the first post

I wonder if a koan can properly be thought of as a poem, or something else entirely. FilthIncarnate alluded to (but didn't fully explain) distinctions between writing to be understood, to be (in Frost's case) misunderstood, and (in Jesus' case) not understood. I'm not entirely sure I get that third category but it's provocative. a koan, it seems to me, is yet another thing, designed to break down the very concept of "understanding"

ty nesamdoom!

cda

by Hand Knit
Followup assertion: this is why all the best Modernist poets were women.

----------------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifisto

great stuff; thank you cda. I really appreciate and welcome insights from those who have studied and given thought to these matters.

and I should also add that other perspectives are likewise welcome, please don't feel like you need to have studied or know much about poetry to contribute to the thread.

• Locked thread