Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I can't tell if the tractor parking brake bugged out or it just modeled me burning it out. I have the septic truck bottomed out and wedged into a tree at the start of a ravine and I tried using the tractor and it might have worked if the tractor stayed still after getting out of it. Saved and reloaded and the parking brake seems to be working again but I don't know if I want to gamble for how long because of the time commitment to getting the tractor out to the crash site even though its right around the corner.

This is the strangest prequel to F1 2016.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
A black hole of trees and slopes where vehicles go to die.

Time to punch the air into the afterlife and rebuild this engine I guess.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
That feeling when you think you've made a connection but it drops the part and it vibrates off into non existence and you hope its respawned at the landfill.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Some of the physics-happened events can be kind of rough but overall this is a better roguelike than nearly anything made lately called a roguelike. I can and will die from mistakes because I am a big huge idiot but I learn something new every time, which is most often about what specifically makes me a big huge idiot.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

SEKCobra posted:

So after endless crashes while driving to and from the store, I finally got around to building my car. Forgot to tighten some of the fuild lines, so my clutch didnt work and it would just run in neutral. So I went back to the store and got more clutch/brake fluid, put it in, now the car just stalls if I don't hold the throttle and I still can't drive. Is there a way to adjust the idle speed?
You can choke it to adjust the idle speed until you warm up. I think I read you can give the carb a lazy man's tune where it can run while cold, but obviously not getting quite to nice performance when warmed up.

CharlesM posted:

Hit Alt-f4 before it saves when you die.

I really wish there were jackstands.

Can you tune up the van so it starts easier? I know the death wobble suspension is actually considered a bug for now.
The van start is modeling glow plugs. If you turn the ignition on without cranking it and let it sit for several seconds, it'll usually start up after 2 or 3 turnovers.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

how me a frog posted:

I tightened that however I noticed that when I tighten the scew the bit that you tilt to put tension on the kinda just moves on its own (in the direction it would go to loosen the belt). Is that normal or bug? Also is that related to the car not going cause my understanding is the belt is for making electric.
The alternator moving when tightening the anchor screw is a bug and the worst. The intended behavior is you mousewheel on the alternator body and it slides it in and out and then you anchor it with the screw. When you have the screw highlighted it often still thinks you are in the mouse zone for adjusting the body. There's like one special angle you can get so it doesn't do that, and I think saving and reloading can have some sort of effect, like everything. You also want to make sure its not too tight or it will throw the belt. You can tell by the belt animation, smooth is good, wobbly wavey bad.

Check the clutch related bits first about not moving, if you can shift around and declutch and it doesn't stall or anything it sounds like its never actually declutching. Gear box and drive gear stuff next, and maybe halfshafts if not that? Basically follow the clutch and gear shift down the line.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I am already channeling 90s PC because my toolbox just went awol through what I assume is no fault of my own (I might have... ran it over?) in a way I was never going to find it and it never respawned at the usual spots. So I stubbornly tried save editing through notepad++ for an hour until I finally realized the game falls apart at the most slightest malformed save file. I downloaded a hex editor and I was able to pop it back into the default spawn in like 5 minutes.

One of the more interesting cases of save file garbage handling was to spawn me shitfaced but it usually rebuilt the save entirely in a way that left doors and sound effects bugged. This game really is running on spit and ducttape.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Double Bill posted:

The NTZ NTZ NTZ green Sierra is also highly accurate environmental sound
That has such a sense of enveloping you I have no idea how they did it so that the sensation worked even through headphones.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Asproigerosis posted:

Do jobs 'disappear' when you save/quit? I don 't want to drive out there with no job, or wait for phone calls.
Not only do they not disappear, if you get a feel for the timing you can do the jobs with never getting a call. They're all on internal timers and if the timer is up, you can do the job at your leisure without needing to get the phone call.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The only time deformed parts matter is when intersections cause physics to happen. Otherwise every part has a snapped in or not snapped in state, and every bolt is either done or not done. If a part is snapped in and all bolts are done, it's only going somewhere in the event of extreme physics, or special cases like killing your clutch or pistons.

Decided to try out a vehicle inspection. I cut across from the store parking lot. There is a ditch there. I bottom out and lose the muffler. I roll into the parking lot and attach it without bolting it and gingerly drive into the bay.

Counted as mechanically perfect but I forgot the dumb hazard triangle.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Backfiring is timing I think? Fixing that might also help you get it in gear without giving all the gas, but usually you have to pull the choke when its cold.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The default timing is trash. There's an easy way to tune it by instruction or you can just try by feel but it should be the same setting across all the screws.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I admittedly did the timing by the guide before ever turning the car on so I'm not sure what the indications are but I've also never had a backfire. Might be carburetor, but the default carburetor setting wasn't half bad for me.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I guess its actually valve lash. I don't know where I came up with timing besides knowing nothing about car engines.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Every time I "fixed" my alignment it got worse. Even once I found the steering wheel angle to hold it it was still all sorts of hosed with how it would slingshot me off the road bed if I so much as stepped out of center. Had to drive to the repair shop at 40kph. Shop aligned it and now I fly around the back roads as fast as I can handle till my butthole clenches and makes me regret slacking off on the kegels. Makes sense because its basically how you steer and get power to the road, so if it's not perfectly dead on your car is going to be the worst.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I'd expect carb tuning or forgetting about the choke on to have an effect but half a tank to the highway is almost assuredly a leak. The last benchmark I have is that I think taking the long route through the backroads back from filling up at town took a little under 1/4 tank.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Ride it hard and put it up wet

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The driving model is really good until it's really bad. Next time bouncy gauges happen, if you have a chance took a look behind you or double back. Once you start laying patches in a burnout, the driving model shits the bed in a feedback loop as your tires engage and disengage from the pavement over and over.

E. The sport carb could fix that because as far as I can tell, it sacrifices torque for power which means laying less patches unless you try.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 6, 2016

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Restart or hex edit your save to put the part back at its spawn state.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Only death awaits you on the highway. Best to just stick to back roads unless you are ready to try and hit 200kph before death's sweet embrace.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If its cold and unchoked? Choke it until its warm.

But even then depending on the carb tuning, the dumb car often doesn't have enough torque to move the car at the bottom of first but being a virtual car you should have no qualms about reving up before dropping the thing into first.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

JointHorse posted:

Tell me more. I'm guessing items.txt has the locations, but what format is the location stored in? Raw 16/32bit value per axis, or something odd like Binary-Coded-Decimal? Or am I overthinking this? :v:
I didn't poke at it enough to suss out how it's getting stored. While a lot of it is in plain text, the data is raw as far as I can tell so you need a hex editor to not mal shape it even when copying and pasting.

I just keep a fresh save around, and replace one whole part entry with the fresh one to get it back in the garage or wherever it lives at game start.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

quote:

-Fixes in firewood chopping exploit
Oh wow, they actually did it in a slightly cleverer way than I would have thought. I was expecting they just shored up the telefraging trick with the fork, but they also addressed my favorite method of using the firewood itself to chop more firewood. You can only spawn logs while holding the axe now ensuring you need to set down and pick up the axe every time you've got enough firewood that makes spawning new logs problematic.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I very easily could have mixed up the order of events. But I swear when I was taking the American car on a top speed test I lost the back end and was dead before I hit anything. Like I think it laterally spun fast enough to make the game think I broke my neck.

With a steering wheel setup it handles like... well not like a dream but it can keep pace with the van on dirt roads. Seriously without a steering wheel and pedals I would have probably played this game half as much.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The only reliable letter method is the back of the van. honorable mention to the Satsuma which mostly keeps things inside but can glitch due to modified meshes and the tractor because it cant actually drive fast enough to send it through a window.

E. The sewage truck doesn't have a windshield because of reasons so it's in the never class.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
There's only a few blind turns that were obviously designed to kill you in the van or car before you've memorized the road layout. If you can avoid those gotchas you can take just about any corner at 60+kph and if you're worried 40kph is exceedingly safe both for cornering and in case a wheel drops off the roadbed.

I may have spent an afternoon repeatedly driving to the store as fast as I could and dying somewhere in between in pursuit of the perfect day one.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Firewood guy is still on a timer but it seems super short. But I think people have run into problems trying to do two loads of wood in a row for example.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Running is a trap because it increases tiredness for some crazy amount per distance. You need to walk but even if you don't catch a break hitchhiking, you should be close enough to walk either home or to the store/pub to get blackout drunk unless you start with an inadvised level of tiredness.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Patch today for, among other things

quote:

-Fixed Air Filter bolts
// There might be issue where Air Filter gets stuck when trying to remove it... My suggestion is to buy Racing Carbs and throw the whole stock thing into a lake.

Also new jobs for the mechanic apparently?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Electrical Fire posted:

Anyone know why I am losing all my oil? Oil filter is tight, oil pan bolts are all tight including the drain plug, and I have the fuel/air mixture tuned already.
All at once? Leaky stuff would include forgetting the head gasket, 10x head bolts, 8x & 1x oil pan, oil filter.

Over time? Its a 20 year old junker so it's modelling how it basically eats oil through lovely cylinder seals.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Stick it inside the car somewhere and pay for an engine repair.

e. I suddenly realize the head stuff doesn't make sense for an oil leak and I can't remember if people with forgotten gaskets were just having trouble getting it to run or what, but hey no harm checking because you're going to have some sort of serious issue if that's what is missing.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Nov 25, 2016

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Dirt road car likes falling off the road bed and into a ditch and I assume you're left calculating a million physics interactions for an AI car wedged in to somewhere its never getting out until the next map reset.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
What kind of person buys a driving game and then drives along the featureless void in between the house and town instead of rally racing a van through the back roads?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Jalopy is nothing like MSC. Its like a space trucking game except instead of space goods you are smuggling cartons of cigarettes and instead of space shields and space engines you have a modular car that you buy parts for that tick stats up or down.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Snowy posted:

Does this game go on bigger sales than the Steam 20% off? I'm curious about it, but not that curious and also cheap.
It's the first sale since release.

If you have any affinity at all to car repair it's absolutely worth experiencing it turned into a pixel hut in adventure but otherwise it's just the unholy spawn of goat simulator and farm simulator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If MSC survival was as featured as UnReal World I'd just become a video game finn for the rest of my life, or at least a couple weeks.

• Locked thread