Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
they arent coming back, neither is kraut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

I have never in my life been to a Costco where you didn't have to flash your card to get in the normal entrance.
yeah we've been going to price club/price costco since like early 90s and never once have people not had to flash a card. sometimes they're looking away/not there for a quick minute, but there's always been door checker with counter and membership check.

but yeah just say "im here for pharmacy" if you forget

anyways our food court is closed for remodelling or something and it's extremely blessed (no more polish + kraut + onions = fail). it's so much nicer getting out of the store now. ours isnt an extremely large costco and the food court butts right into the exit-lanes from all the checkouts and into the lane of everyone trying to buy/queue for food and it's always a logistic disaster trying to get out and to the door, especially when people who just checked out pulling out stoppign in the 1 tiny open-space to check their receipt with a ton of people behind them.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

pentyne posted:

So did the monkey slavery thing really gently caress up Costco's supply? I haven't seen any kind of coconut milk in the store in months.

Pretty much it's a goner yeah. it was spotty even before the Chaokoh thing. they sometimes carry Thai Kitchen (which is pretty much just Chaokoh anyways so lol) but I saw it like once many moons ago.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Johnny Truant posted:

There were pallets of Thai Kitchen coconut milk at my Costco

Were they monkey slavers, too? Was it just like, every coconut milk company? I only saw one article about chaokah
the whole thing is super shady; and not in the business practice side of things but the way it was all just allegation-based and hyper-focused on naming one. they all source coconuts from a lot of suppliers all over (iirc no big coconut milk owns farms themselves), and I would wager they all have virtually almost overlapping venn diagram of suppliers. so it's a little strange that only chaokoh was named in this instance when I don't see why TK would be different.

that said monkey-labor allegations are way better than using slave and prison labor which goes into pre-peeled garlic to probably half the clothing you can buy at co/target/wm and a whole host of other goods and things that no one cares about so it feels entirely performative. but i guess animals get feathers ruffled whereas abusing humans is a-okay.

e: and to be clear, it is very bad. any abuse isn't good at all. but my thing was more like, how come just one brand and not all the rest of them? it's all similar subcontracted from a variety of plantation suppliers that all goes to different factories for processing and canning. seemed a little sketchy that it wasn't listing out almost every brand and just the one.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jul 15, 2021

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Bigchops posted:

Another followup. Someone did this today. Refused to show the receipt for the merchandise they bought (it was purchased) and walked right out.

A manager and LP was called up to follow them to their car, and at their car they still refused to show their receipt. Got a picture of their license plate, but that wasn't needed since we verified that they purchased their merchandise through the security cameras.

Their membership was cancelled without refund, and since memberships are tied to your ID, they are now permanently banned from applying for a membership at any Costco.

incredible. was this their first costco purchase?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

pentyne posted:

gently caress yes they do. If they can find those $2 food stalls in Singapore to laud over then Costco deserves one too.

Always worth a reminder
https://boingboing.net/2020/09/25/costco-co-founder-to-new-ceo-if-you-raise-the-effing-hot-dog-i-will-kill-you.html

well instead of raising the price, they've cut back on secondary. i.e. removing saurkraut, onion dispensers, getting rid of polish dog (and italian sausage?); and then trying more big-ticket items like vegan al pastor, acai bowls, hamburgers for $5-6

i'd gladly pay more for a polish dog with kraut + spicy brown mustard + onions again

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Bumble Dong posted:

My ‘Co has ketchup mustard and relish but no onions and kraut. Been just skipping the dog because ITS NOT THE SAME
at least deli mustard right?

yellow mustard sucks

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Taima posted:

We don’t talk about that
i'll never forget the polish, and never forgive. price increase would have been far more palpable

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

thathonkey posted:

the corporate bean counters make me sick. find a way to bring the onions back NOW. you FUCKS

tendency for rate of profit to decline, absent new people, technology, and/or land to exploit, means you cannibalize internally to stem the declining rate of profit because there is otherwise greener land for shareholders to chase. technology-wise, i would actually use costco online if they could get their poo poo together and even offer 1/10th of what's actually in store, and it's certainly an area they really should work and i expect will probably see more work being done. otherwise theyve tapped out a lot of land in america to conquer

they've got some activist investors on the board recently, like kenneth denmen, stanton and someone else and it's certainly reflected in changes over the more recent years (cutting back new employee wage escalation ladders and other new FT hire cutbacks, food courts, self-checkouts, more pushy contractors slinging solar panels or flooring to rubes, etc).

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Solvent posted:

Costco wants you in the warehouse, that’s why their website is poo poo. If you’re buying online you’re not finding their “hidden gems”. The stuff online is priced worse than in store always.

Also it’s the sparklets water guy who harassed me, after a long day of bullshit I come in to buy bottled water, I tell him I can lift my own water and it costs less than a fifth as much and the bastard calls me cheap.
eh, i'm sure there's some of that but they have been (slowly) improving it. i'm not convinced you can't quite do the same impulse buying you that you see in-store as also online (cough lots of people constantly impulse buying garbage off amazon). but i'm also not sure it's a slamdunk in the face of tendency for rate of profit to decline in this instance because it's probably a rather significantly overlapping venn diagram with in-store purchases to some degree as well. personally the california costcos here are a shitshow so i don't go nearly as often as I could, and would probably spend more money online if inventory more matched what's available in-store. i've done it for some things though like TVs which are same-price as in store and that's nice.

and that yeah the pushy floor contractor poo poo sucks rear end, sorry to hear that.

FCKGW posted:

Costco has always been very behind the curve on retail trends. Remember when the coupon book had actual coupons you had to bring in and if you didn’t bring in the book you didn’t get the sale price? That was only like 10 years ago.
that and also it wasnt that long ago you had to go and get manufacturer rebates and poo poo separately; although i think they were closer to the curve on that one.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

redreader posted:

Just a heads up. Last time I got croissants at the entrance and didn't think twice. This most recent time I went, I got them at the entrance then double checked expiry/baked on date vs the dates of the ones in the actual bakery section. The croissants at the entrance were all dated for 1-2 days earlier then the ones in the bakery section. The entrance is where they try to offload old baked goods, it seems.

i'm kinda surprised this is new to you but yeah it's extremely common. same for breads, milk, whatever. at trader joes they have pull-out drawers for their baked goods and breads and it's always best to pull it out and grab the one in the back (check the exp or rather the color of the twist-clip) since when you do grocer restocking you move the older products front. even the croissants and stuff at the back there's usually the very-very back end trays that have the freshest/longest exp somewhere burried.

likewise, it's often not a great idea to grab the very first deli meat/cheese/milk/whatever that's on the self for a lot of reasons, one is it's warmer at the front (eitheer it's an open-chested fridge/aisle or doors opening constantly) which can vastly vary but it's generally better to grab the one that's been kept colder, and sometimes longer expiration as well. i'll usually grab the second or third one or one that's under the top pallet. just don't make a mess or be clumsy doing it.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Renegret posted:

Because it's the superior mustard.

I refuse to eat yellow mustard. Spicy brown all the way.

same. piss mustard is just bad once you've gone brown there's no going yellow

Pennywise the Frown posted:

We have a place out here called Koop's. You can probably find it in your grocery store. They make the best mustard that's cheap as poo poo. I like the Dusseldorf the best. I just picked up a horseradish mustard that I really like but I don't think it's Koop's.
I havent seen those, i'll keep an eye out, but Inglehoffer is sold pretty commonly and the grain-mustard is great

this stuff is aplso good for storebought although a lot on the grains which can be good or bad.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

bagmonkey posted:

Does anyone else's Costco have crazy long gas lines 24/7? The gas prices are awesome but I have zero clue when would be an okay time to get gas there. It's usually 6+ cars deep in each lane
yes

i usually only bother if im going to there to shop, and i'm about empty. the price difference between like arco or something is often like ~15-cent (sometimes it can be up to 25-cent but not often). which for filling up my typical 8gals is not that much but depends on your tank. often people, in tyool 2021, still dont realize those fuel lines are able to reach around to the opposite side of a car; so lotta people queue up for like one-side more than others letting you swoop around and use any one.

anyways they open the gas before the store so that's usually a good time to go.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

priznat posted:

Aeropresses shoot out a perfect little puck, espresso style, every time :colbert:

They are more of a pain in the butt if you want to make more than one cup at a time though I will admit. So just buy two, they are cheap.

I'm a big quantity coffee over small-condensed coffee since i like to sip it during a morning commute or while waking up in the morning for a good 15 minutes. I used to do the AeroPress but it was just a bit too much hassle to finagle while blurry-eyed tired in the morning and didn't make enough. one day i accidentally threw out the bottom cap and just went with an CleverCup and haven't looked back. basically all the ease of a french press, good taste of like an AP, and makes a good-size cup of coffee without much fuss.

AP was good for what it was though, just not what i want out of coffee: where i want a giant cup that tastes good and not-watery with least amount of effort possible.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
the halloween wonka candy bag this year no longer includes nerds or sweettarts and stuff. It's like 30% swedish fish, 30% skittles, and 30% haribos, and <10% misc others. sad

also weirdly my costco seems to have stopped carrying bubble gum (of any brand) entirely for the past year.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Propaganda Hour posted:

We pulled into Costco an hour before closing on Sunday and we're greeted by a similar sight. Even the walk-in fridge area had two full pallets of pumpkin pies

The paucity of pied pumpkin was greatly overstated
i just went tonight also an hour before closing and same. ton of pallets of em.

Woodsy Owl posted:

Maybe everyone came to their senses this year and realized that pumpkin pie loving sucks.
also this.

i like pumpkin pie well enough but imo the costco pumpkin pie sucks rear end. always just soggy flavorless 'crust' (if you could call it that) and the pumpkin filling is kinda lovely and a bit overly sweet. straight up worse than dumping a can of liddys into a frozen pie crust. normally i don't care for 'ahaha just make it urself!!!' goony smugness when it comes to food, but even i, a loving lazy rear end idiot baker, can make one that tasted way better for about only 15 minutes of effort and even lovely frozen pie crust from a grocery store tastes way better.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Jingleheimer posted:

They used to be decent but they changed them a year or two ago and now they suck.
i'm glad its not just me but i would say its been longer than a few years. i dont have an exact timeframe but they've been pretty bad in recent years. i mean they were never mindblowing but better than they are now.

priznat posted:

That said the croissants are not good as croissants but as buttery snacks they go real fast in my house.
:hfive:

croissants are real good though. the new containers are a shitload more plastic but also help keep them from going stale vs the cardboard + plastic wrap version, so i'm okay with that. but they are smaller packs of croissants then they used to be. which is probably for the best because i can hoover them up

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

FistEnergy posted:

I just renewed my Costco membership after being away from the faith for almost 10 years. I feel paralyzed by choice; I need a Kirkland Snack Tier List

im a household of 2 so i avoid buying costco snacks because its too dangerous

those cashew w/ almond+seeds clusters are very good. maybe the best

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Jalapeno mustard relish. Woah. :stare:

When I went last week I left the checkout, literally looked longingly at the hotdog poster, looked down in sadness, and walked away. It's just not the same without the onions and deli mustard.

Same. Polish dog with kraut n onions n deli mustard was top tier

I actually got a dog yesterday and parked super far away and was in a hurry juggling a ton of things and forgot to put condiments on by the time I got to my car and just said gently caress it. Not they have anything besides ketchup (which I don’t use) n piss mustard but it was really kinda foul I didn’t even finish it; I don’t think yellow mustard would have salvaged it

Also got a churro and strawberry yogurt sundae. The new churro really kinda sucks rear end imo; way too soggy and didn’t have the old crunch and was missing strong kick of real cinnamon

Sundae was good tho, would get it again.

I miss the glory days

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Spinz posted:

What I'm going to do is never ever buy or taste that cinnamon bread

You won't miss what you don't know
also same.

3-pack of butter loaf just sounds like far too much food for a 2person apartment. the best thing that used to exist about having a big office job was being able to bring in extra costco muffins or costco cake and leave it in the breakroom and not feel bad about wasting a bunch of food. i'd prob get it if it was a single loaf.

HOMOEROTIC JESUS posted:

Whoever recommended that Motor City pizza pack earlier was on point. So delicious. Jesus approves.

Also, the 3 Pack Butter Sugar Cinnamon Loaf is insanely decadent. Our household will soon be so fat we'll need cranes to get out of bed.
i had the motorcity pizza from costco and i thought it was just decent. i didnt think it was worth buying again.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Propaganda Machine posted:

How far would you all drive to go to church? I moved recently and the nearest location is over an hour and a half away :negative:

you should have thought about that before you moved out to fucksticks, missouri :mad:. and is that 1.5 each way?? because yeah no, i'd maybe do that once a year to stock up on bulk rice, flour, butter, salt, canned beans, sugar, paper towels, etc, but no spending 3 hours out of my day driving to a costco and back just sounds awful.

maximum i'd say is 45-minutes each way; unless i also had reasons for going out further. i'm ~10-15 minutes from a costco and it still feels like too long.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Cyrano4747 posted:

My goto for that are the Snapdragon instant pho bowls.

I mean, it's fundamentally instant soup. It's not transcendently good restaurant pho or anything. But it's really loving solid, worlds better than some cup o noodles bullshit, and if you add some ground chili is legit tasty.

Plus it's 200 calories vs. ~380-420 for your typical Maruchan stuff.

Back in the before times, in the long long ago when I went into an office, I'd keep a few of them tucked into a desk drawer to hedge against forgetting my lunch at home. Hell, some days I'd purposefully bring one because they're legit tasty.
the instant pho is good, but it's only 200 calories because there really isn't much there. Which in itself isn't a huge issue but there's SO much loving packaging on those that it was kinda obnoxious to unwrap about 5 different parts to make a pretty small bowl of pho.

i used to do the nongshim black ramen cups and they were good enough for lunch, but they seem to be gone. costco carried samyang spicy chicken ramen bowls for a few months and that was divine. haven't seem 'em in years though :rip:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

sexy tiger boobs posted:

I thought we figured out that there were 2 kinds of kirkland tp based on your location? I'm in Oregon and it's my go to, but I guess I also don't use that much thanks to my Costco purchased fancy bidet...

Yeah there’s one in a baby blue wrap and one in a deep blue wrap

I forgot which one I had here but I thought it was real flimsy bad stuff. I buy the charmin one from Costco and it’s definitely a little linty but okay, and about the same price or cheaper on sale than KS

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

binge crotching posted:

I need gas and it's only $4.89 at Costco vs $5.39 at the Chevron 3 blocks down the street, but there is no way in hell I'm going before warehouse closing.

chevron is the worst place to buy gas, always considerably more expensive than most options in my area. arco is pretty competitive with costco, esp if you're down with paying cash it's almost on parity, but even without it it's not too far off.

i went to costco a few days ago at like 2pm on a thursday and line for costco gas was like a solid 1 hour wrapped around several blocks, so i lolled, went into the warehouse and grabbed some poo poo, and just stopped by arco on the way home with no wait and only paid $2 more to fill up. yeah i'll gladly pay $2 to save an 1 hour baking in my car. ymmv of course

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

olives black posted:

Dell and HP machines have been hot loving garbage from the 10s onward I don't care what SHart/SCabies has to say on the matter

Macbooks have had their issues but I'd roll the dice with one of those any day

i agree with this. dell xps used to be pretty good early on but they're so loving bad now holy moly. dell latitude business line are actually still quite good but probably out of the consumer price-range for what it is.

i've never been big on macs but macbook m1s are legitimately really loving good that you should just get that these days, probably the only good laptop