Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

JK Fresco posted:

Every single shooting so far has been in poo poo areas and usually Costco avoids those

JK Fresco posted:

Just reading the articles, they are typical ghetto crimes and only get reported now because of the corona link

JK Fresco posted:

Get kicked out of club/store, go get a gun, come back and shoot the bouncer

JK Fresco posted:

I said it was for bad neighborhoods and nothing about race

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

JK Fresco posted:

If youve ever lived there you'd know what exactly what im talking about

Just wanna chime in and say that there’s nothing “typical” about returning to shoot up the store you got kicked out of in “the ghetto.”

But this series of posts is pretty typical from white dudes who lived *nearby to a majority-minority neighborhood for two years after college or whatever, and want you to think they’re experts on “how cities work” now because they were vaguely menaced by a homeless guy one time at night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

StormDrain posted:

Well, the world turns
And a hungry little goon with empty cart
Walks down the aisles looking where to start
In the Costco (in the Costco)

And his hunger burns
So he starts to shop and dreaming of a dog
And he pushes and yells at a maskless mob
In the Costco (in the Costco)

Then in the back at the TP station
A young man yells again
Karen pulls out a gun, shoots him down
DA won't press charges, she's the mayor in this town
And his mama cries

:vince:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Xaris posted:

costco is good but
a) are you living by yourself, adn do you have a relatively small 1br place or so?
b) do you live really close to one (~20 mins or less), and is it convenient to get to?

honestly if you're single and in a 1br apartment, you can make Costco worth $60/yr membership, but kind of marginal to not really worth it unless it's also convenient and close, and not very busy. winco, trader joes, aldi, etc usually provides pretty close enough prices for smaller-portions that you can eat before it goes bad. i live with my fiance in a 1br and it's worth it, but not by a whole lot. it's just nicer to get higher quality stuff for similar prices as alternatives, and a bit cheaper on the paper towels/toilet paper/shampoo/conditioner/cheeses/lettuce/bulk rice-beans-spices-etc.

the more people you live with and the bigger place you've got, the more you can out of it

Costco is totally worth it for 1 person if you make frequent use of their takeout options and if you have pets that need lots of produce/etc. I live in a rental with a roommate and can’t set up/afford a RO water filter for a 10gal reef, but costco sells bulk RO water cheap which is plenty for a small 10gal. When I had 3 rabbits with an ex we made frequent use of Costco for veggies and cleaning supplies and poo poo.

Also if you’re trying to shift to a majority plant-based diet, the Costco savings on produce and legumes/grains add up super quickly. I think Trader Joe’s probably does an equally good job of hitting packaged/frozen foods in terms of cost with more variety and smaller portions, but they can’t touch Costco when you need a poo poo ton of kale, peppers, lentils, eggs, and rice.

And like others have said, if you buy a handful of clothing or electronics or appliance or more “premium”/“luxury” (ie not staple, or not something you’d buy all the time/you’re buying it for fun or to celebrate or whatever) food items there per year the savings quickly pay for the membership outright.

Personally I make up for it once over in hot dogs, salads, froyo, and pizzas; once over just in Annie’s mac & cheese and lactose-free milk; and probably once over in shrimp and shrimp-based foods.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 08:16 on May 10, 2020

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Xaris posted:

TCL is a real good cheap as poo poo TV with good image quality for the price, generally the go-to. Ive had some iffy software issues with the Roku OS though but it's an older model.

Also the speakers are absolute trash so you'll want to buy a Soundbar anyways.

Yeah, just don’t use the built in apps and don’t connect the TV itself to your network and you’re golden. You should be using an external source anyway tho.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
XBONE
PS4
Chromecast
AppleTV
Roku

...all better options than built in data harvesting/insecure smartTV OS’s

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Suspect Bucket posted:

I had trouble getting a non smart TV. Mine is hooked to my computer, and it's the living room video game / streaming solution.

Yeah, you won’t be able to since the current crop of budget models is so cheap largely because they subsidize the cost with data sales.

Nobody specifically looks for a “dumb” TV anymore unless they have a desire/need for one (and now a lot of those are being sold as monitors/to enterprise rather than consumer TVs) and your average buyer is going to see the smart features as a selling point rather than a redundancy or potential liability. The cost of adding the parts is trivial.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

5G IOT is going to push the costs of integrating and activating a 5G modem right on the TV for telemetry and maybe advertising down into literally the single-digit dollars, so it really won't matter for too much longer whether you plug it in or not

most people will plug it into the network, but it's getting cheaper and cheaper to send back telemetry even they don't

welcome to the new death

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Soundbars...not even once. Unless it’s for like a bedroom or really small space and even then powered speakers or something like an audioengine B2 is way preferable.

Hell even a 2.0 stereo with amp/receiver. Small good, aesthetically pleasing speakers are super super cheap these days. There’s neat vintage options too.

Absolutely nobody needs to buy a sound bar even the best ones are still junky junk

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Im trying to figure out did she just knock herself out or is she just laying there in immense pain. Probably both

Edit:me no speel so godder

CLONK!

GORDON posted:

I feel like for every 2 hundo you spend, a loving communion should be assumed and provided for free.

A certain kind of person would see $197 in their cart and decide to spend $24 more dollars on another box of protein shakes just to get that free dog.

Stew Leonard’s customers! Every hundo is a free ice cream from their in-shop ice cream stand!

JK Fresco posted:

My local costco closef sll the soda fountains snd instead id handing out cans

All the MA ones are. And you gotta take your dogs to goooo!

It’s like Doobie’s Doghouse in there, but rightly so. These are troubled times.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I don’t mean to speak out of turn or blaspheme but church really hosed up when they got rid of chocolate froyo

to say nothing of the vanilla/chocolate swirl

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Chinatown posted:

I long for the days of the onion dispenser.

A slow turn of the crank, perfect bits of onion, falling effortlessly onto my expertly dressed dog.

As opposed to a crank that’s been unscrewed from its shaft. You turn it futilely and maybe a drab of onion juice falls out from the vibrations.

keevo posted:

Idk how reliable this is, but there's a guy on the Costco sub-Reddit saying that the food court menu is gonna be changed up. They're getting rid of combo pizzas (pepperoni and cheese will still be there), churros, salad, yogurt, and acai bowls. I'm super bummed about the combo pizza if this is true.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Costco/comments/gkezph/rumors_about_major_changes_coming_to_food_courts/

No! Not my Caesar salad! Not my combo pizza! Man losing the salad really sucks. I used to have one there and take extra for dinner/work lunch. Also toss in seasoned shrimp from the deli.

I guess it’ll push me to be more environmentally conscious about waste. Those plastic trays were hella convenient but wasteful.

Also I’m ambivalent about the froyo—>ice cream change. Chocolate syrup and sundae berries (? Hopefully that just means regular berries like açaí-bowl style) sound good but the froyo was nice and gentle on my stomach in a way that I anticipate ice cream might not be. Still gonna eat it tho.

I assume Costco sells their Caesar dressing somewhere?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I mean as long as they’ve been through a freezer at some point the wife is really unlikely to get a worm or whatever

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
but just imagine that thread tho

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Washout posted:

I'm a security guard, costco just hired our company on a temp contract for entrance duty. Soon you'll be seeing security guys that are a lot more serious about the enforcement.

Good. They’re not loving around at the ones in MA, time to regulate in less civilized parts of the world.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

Trichinosis has been almost completely eliminated from the US hog population. Iirc between 2000 and 2010 there were something like ten cases. Look up the real statistics but the tldr was low single digits per year. The FDA went so far as to revise down the recommended cook temp for pork to an internal temp of 145.

Gotta say pork is WAY better when it’s not cooked into shoe leather.

Edit: CDC page on trichinosis https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/trichinellosis/epi.html

FDA internal temp chart referencing the 145 for pork - https://www.fda.gov/media/93628/download

To be entirely fair, however, I would not trust the US meat pipeline to be nearly as well-managed at the current moment, nor under the current presidential administration.

A lot of changes to poo poo like inspection protocols, standards, and staffing have gone down over the last three years to “cut unnecessary red tape” :chaostrump: before you even bring up how Covid’s been running rampant through the meat processing industry.

Like, if I were ever to bet on a time to see a major resurgence of livestock diseases and a possible contamination of the food supply, Covid-19 in year four of the Trump admin has pretty solid odds.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

I wanna get into Sous Vide cooking, is there a good place or a thread to start? Costco sell the stuff I need to get started?

Did you even bother to check GWS, or whatever it’s called now?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I almost never eat pork, especially pork chops, because all of my memories of it are it being extremely dry and tough. I make tenderloins sometimes but the dryness is just so ingrained in my memory that I only eat pork if it's slathered in BBQ sauce or something.

Find thee a good tonkatsu recipe (I actually really like the Blue Apron one but there’s a jillion). Put that poo poo on everything—rice, ramen, bread, ramen, your hands....

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
The last two labs I’ve been in have had Anova sous vide machines for the purposes of maintaining hot water baths. Can attest those things run like tanks forever

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

topenga posted:

Things other than meat: I've made a nice chicken liver pate (okay, that's meat. sorry), flan, panna cotta, custard, egg bites, creme brulee (all in canning jars. I had a lot of loving eggs).
Also does a very good job of reheating brisket without overcooking.
If my items are already in vacuum sealed bags, then I use those to sous vide, other wise (like the reheating of brisket) I remember my pull top lunches and gen 1 capri sun pouches in the 80's and just use freezer bags.

gently caress man, I would love an ice cold Capri Sun right now. Like really nice and cold. Like, ‘mom popped it in the freezer for fifteen minutes before you got home from school because she knows’ cold Capri Sun

It’s sixty degrees out and sunny and I want a joint and a Capri Sun Jesus Christ

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Chinatown posted:

My full size sedan has a large displacement V8 and averages around 15mpg. :grin:

Is it a former police cruiser too?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Chinatown posted:

No its a 2019. No cop brakes, cop tires, cop suspension for me. :sigh:

Hey no body fluids in the seats either

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Meydey posted:

They had one last year but it sold out in my warehouse in maybe 3 days. It might've been a roadshow. $99 if I remember right.

Yeah, they’ve had them at mine as roadshow/demo sales. Maybe they get upgraded to permanent status one day like vitamix

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

GORDON posted:

Imagine choosing the Costco mask policy to finally make a stand against government tyranny.

Like.... that was finally the last straw, for that "I woke up in a free country" patriot.

That line, and no more.

Because service employees are professionally obligated to be nice and accommodating with you and cowards love taking advantage of that power dynamic/confuse it for having actual clout.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

priznat posted:

Does anyone ever get those frozen sliders? They get very damp when microwaving as the instructions say and wondered if there are better prep options.

They’re terrible but I also like them??

Maybe pop em in a toaster oven for a minute after nuking? That seems to crisp up lots of soggy microwaved foods for me, including breaded Costco/Trader Joes poo poo/leftovers.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

I think I might actually put on my old man hat and write them a letter saying just that. Counter balance some of the crazy.

Elementary school project time- let’s all write letters of appreciation to Costco thanking them for their brave service

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

fordham posted:

For realz don't use high heat ever with non-stick. It breaks down the coating and it's kinda poisonous. Like it kills birds pretty much instantly if they are anywhere nearby.

Cast iron / Carbon Steel is the way to go if you don't have a grill.

Deffo keep away from birds and their giant air sacs.

https://youtu.be/5FNNKhVoUu8

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

GI_Clutch posted:

I picked up some Polar on my last trip. Grapefruit, black cherry, lime, and cranberry-lime. I'm not the biggest grapefruit fan in general, but this may be the best I've had.

And those are all the worst Polar flavors by far, too.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Not Korean but you should always put lots of cheese in your breakfast ramen

And you should always be making ramen for breakfast

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

mds2 posted:

Wife stated we need to go to church tonight. So excited!

lol you need your wife to tell you when to go to Costco

(pls don’t go to stores unnecessarily during plague time)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

silence_kit posted:

I’m convinced that many (maybe even most?) environmentalist causes are just used by people to protect their investments in businesses and real estate.

Don’t internalize it. Jading you to that so that you check out and don’t trust anybody ever is literally the raison d’ętre for at least a few anti-environmental groups.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

The Slack Lagoon posted:

The best peanut butter is Teddie old fashioned and our local Costco sells it in a two huge pack for less than the cost of one small jar at a local store. Probably doesn't have nationwide distribution since it's a local company.

How does Costco manage that stuff? Local company sells at local Costco, but not regionally or nationally?

Do you shop in MA? There’s a Costco literally right by the Teddie factory, as in- you have to go through the same rotary to go to either of them (I’m not a huge Teddie fan myself, sorry :( )

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

EPICAC posted:

Hmmm, never realized that’s where the factory was. I knew they sold beer brewed down the street, I didn’t realize they could say the same about peanut butter.

Edit: now my wife’s calling me blind because I’ve never noticed the sign.

Also right by where Moderna HQ is, if I’m not mistaken. So you can honk at them if/when you get vaccinated.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Ravendas posted:

My kids prefer the Kirkland peanut butter you have to stir up each time to Jif, which is great because my wife prefers it too.

Also, my wife and I lived in Taiwan for nearly a decade, so the A-Sha noodles were not a surprise for us. She did them up dry with some sauce, egg, green onions and whatever else, and they're great. Starchy, but they're supposed to be. They're not a soup ramen.

I just wish she'd stop requiring our kids (6 and 3) to drink the Costco organic milk, the three cartons per case for $11ish for 1.5 gallons of milk. It lasts for a month, so I pick up four or five of them each time I go, and those are basically the countdown until the next Costco trip. It's just... a lot for milk. She credits the kids being smart to feeding them good food though, so I'm not going to try and dissuade her (yet). Maybe it's really working, who knows! It has DHA and whatever else added into it.

I do molecular biology, the “health benefit” of organic milk vs regular Kirkland (or in my case, Lactaid) is horseshit. There might be a benefit to the cows, depends on the farm, but your kids would probably do just as well with the same volume intake of 60% less expensive milk and the money saved spent on extra books or video games or music lessons or sports equipment or art supplies or POGs or whatever. Buy them some LEGO, all smart kids need more LEGO.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Joburg posted:

Buy milk from pastured cows! Feedlots are horrible!

Seriously, buy animal products that come from animals kept to high welfare standards if you must buy animal products.

Absolutely, yes. Do this. But please do not confuse “organic” with “high welfare standards” or either with “unspoken health benefits beyond measurable improvements in quality or richness, that may or may not exist” (ie, high quality of life for an animal being reflected in the final quality of an animal product is definitely a thing, but there’s a woo-woo “organic means it’s way better” consumer culture that does nothing to address real animal welfare, environmental, or public health/nutrition issues)

Same with GMOs

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Also just feed kids a lot of fish. My mom used to make me take fish oil pills before elementary school (I guess she thought it would be more physically tolerable in the morning and give me a brain boost) and they would give me the worst fishy burps and indigestion riding the bus.
loving loathed those cod oil pills, and they depleted the fisheries too!

So I guess give your kids the fancy fish milk, if the alternative is cod liver oil pills. Or just get your kids good fish and seafood and eat it often. 3 is a great age to get a kid into sushi if they’re ok with food allergies otherwise.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Ravendas posted:

Wife still demands the good milk though. $_$

tell her to make it

(pls do not do that)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Barry posted:

I'm 100% done with peanut butter you have to stir. I don't care if it tastes better or cures cancer or whatever. Drives me crazy.

it’s also just not as good :colbert:

I do like that Trader Joe’s calls theirs peanut butter and peanut butter spread (or something like that), respectively.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

BaseballPCHiker posted:

How hard is it to stir a jar of peanut butter? It taste WAY better, and takes like 2 minutes the first time you open a jar.

Unless you're eating a jar a day I fail to see how that becomes a time sink for someone. And if you do eat a jar a day you probably only poo poo like once a week so you should have plenty of time to stir your pb.

Honestly, I prefer the taste and texture of the “faker” (not really but it has a bit more oil + sugar as emulsifiers) stuff, it has nothing to do with the inconvenience or effort of stirring 🤷🏻‍♂️

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I prefer the natural stuff but go with the fake stuff when I am hiking or camping. Seems to spread way easier on tortillas. The peanut butter family is a big tent and has room for everyone except for those Smucker Goobers scum.

yeah, it’s not like the fake stuff is that far off from real, nutritionally or tastewise. Nutritionally they’re functionally the same unless you have some kind of unique allergy.

now if you’ve ever had “low fat” or “low cholesterol” or “light” peanut butter forced on you—that stuff is just all kinds of wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
The eyes on the hotdog look terrible for dogs. I’d honestly just cut em off before giving it to any dog