Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

We live in a world with increasingly strained resources

Sure, but food isn't one of them. We make enough food to feed the entire world, the problem is logistics/capitalism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

McDonald's has the best fries.

Clearly an unpopular opinion, given the volume of business they do.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Caufman posted:

I don't like Let It Go, especially because Love is an Open Door is way catchier.

I just saw Frozen recently and all I could think during that song was "A bunch of white girls probably blast this song when they move out of their parents' house for the first time."

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Resurrect John Wayne or whatever and put him in a blockbuster movie and he'd most likely do just as well as any modern actor you can name.

His name is Clint Eastwood.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

South Park doesn't even try to do "the truth is in the middle" anymore, they just say "Who gives a gently caress about the truth? Sounds like you're caring about something, which is the worst thing anyone can do. Better to be permanently detached and above it all, then nothing can hurt you."

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Aramek posted:

But being hurt sucks. :(

Know what doesn't suck? Hurting others.

Hence why Cartman's mother is named Liane.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Hot Smart ARYAN Girl posted:

I enjoyed breaking bad when it aired, but now I realize there's no way I would watch it through again, and in retrospect it was pretty corny.

Corny?

That word brings up shows like Leave it to Beaver or Happy Days, what about Breaking Bad is corny?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's silly to put too much stock in the message of a piece of art, whether it's ostensibly progressive or conservative or feminist or whatever. Most of those things are what the viewer make sure of the thing more so than things that are intrinsic to the film itself - if you hold something up as a purposeful exemplar of some value you're just setting yourself up for disappointment.

Gee, I wonder if this movie is trying to say anything about women or feminism.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

I didn't say it was any kind of uniform rule, and in any event didn't mean to talk about Mad Max in particular.

My bad, the person before you posted this:

veni veni veni posted:

It's not really trying to make any bold political statements as far as I can tell. I think dumb internet writers really just ran with the "Miller consulted the vagina monologues lady" thing and ran it into the ground. I think he didn't want the whole "saving sex slaves" aspect to be offensive. Which they did end up handling pretty well.

and I assumed you were adding your consensus to it. I guess it's up to you (veni veni veni) if "We are not things" is or isn't a bold political statement, but considering our President elect has said you can just grab women by the pussy, I would say it's one that needed to be stated.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jastiger posted:

Its an indictment of humanity and the American education system that propeganda and advertising works the way it does. Fake news shouldnt be a think in 2016, but because most conservatives are illiterate and morons false information has and will continue to influence the direction of the most powerful country in the world.

All because a significant minority of people are too stupid to check their facts or make a rational critical decision.

Why limit yourself to America? People all over buy into propaganda and advertising.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jastiger posted:

Becuase I live here and also we're supposed to have the most advanced education and social systems in the world. just lol.

Sure we have the best college and university system in the world, but our pre-college system is loving terrible. And what kind of social systems do you think we have that would make people not buy into advertising?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

Bullying has a place in society and if there was more of it there would be way less clueless people.

This is a particularly gross opinion, which is saying something given the thread we're in.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Breakfast Burrito posted:

Mass Effect 3's ending was satisfying and made thematic sense as a way to end the trilogy.

Some people seem to have this confused with a "Post Your Biggest Lies" thread.

I guess in a weird way, all lies are unpopular opinions.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Pick posted:

I lived in the South for a while and I guarantee you, it would do fine. Lines got longer at Chik-fil-a after they announced they hated the gays, even if it were a cynical marketing move it would have been a profitable one.

Bingo. Country clubs and whatnot would instantly go back to whites-only if they could as well, since they don't have to advertise it.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

A_Account posted:

Most of the big YouTubers are not very intelligent.

They know their audience, though. There's a whole science behind thumbnail selection and title creation and I bet most of them are really good at analyzing viewer data. I think they play dumb in their content but the ones making money from it are way smarter than they let on.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

oldpainless posted:

Santa exists solely to emotionally control and blackmail children

Santa exists to be the first lesson you get in how authority will happily lie to your face.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Star Wars isn't nearly interesting enough of a concept/universe to deserve as many movies as it is getting. Same with Star Trek and the endless series and movies. Stargate SG-1 was much more interesting and realistically handled (in terms of the military running things instead of a bunch of space monks or peaceful do-gooders, at least), and while it had a good long run, I'd rather be seeing endless reboots of that instead of star wars/trek.

Realism isn't the ultimate goal of storytelling. Also, comparing it to Stargate is apples and oranges, Star Wars is space fantasy, not sci-fi.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The "realism" I was talking about was just in terms of portraying human nature and how we would hypothetically deal with having access to such advanced technology. It gives humanity too much credit to assume we wouldn't use it on our human enemies first and any aliens that don't hand over their stuff second.

:confused:

Are you describing Stargate or Star Wars here? Both involve using advanced technology on human enemies.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Beige posted:

Muslims and Jews are not a race, nor is praising or denigrating them racist. Perhaps this isn't an unpopular opinion?

This is the worst kind of semantic argument. When people say "racist" they actually mean "bigoted" so stop trying to get around it with a technicality.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Beige posted:

You do agree with my statement though, right?

Denigrating any type of people is bad and you shouldn't do it. I don't care what label you put on it.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Yea, the total hourage doesn't even compare. Star Wars is eight movies at about 2 hours each. Stargate is loving 200+ 45-minute long episodes. And you think they're making too many Star Wars?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

wampalord you're fixating on the star wars comparison but my main beef is with star trek which you are conveniently ignoring completely.

Gee I wonder why? :v:

You probably have more of a point with Star Trek, it doesn't really have enough mainstream appeal to keep churning out movies, even though I thought Beyond was pretty good. The new show being on CBS's streaming service instead of TV says a lot.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Music right now is the worst it's been since the late 90's.

"Music was only good when I was the proper age for it" is a pretty popular opinion.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Well yea, you notice the bulk of the grief has been focused on Prince and David Bowie?

Also, median age is 76-ish, so people dying at 60 is a bit shocking, particularly when you realize most celebrities have access to the best healthcare in the world.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Yes, but it's balanced out by easy access to every illegal drug known to man.

And yet, Keith Richards.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Grandmother of Five posted:

something like Carrie Fisher's digital Star Wars re-apperance isn't considered some kind of massively inappropriate digital necromancy

Well she wasn't dead when they made it, so I'm guessing she had to approve her likeness being used.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Here's my unpopular opinion:

People put too much importance on music. To me, music is something you have on in the car while driving or hear while out in a bar, not something to form an identity around, unless you are a musician.

It's also the most subjective art form. I think 99% of people could agree that The Godfather is a better movie than something like White Chicks, but good luck getting people to agree on any sort of "best" bands.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Don't do this. Also, Dark Souls has no story, it has story-related flavoring poured over an action game.

Pick posted:

Audiophiles are crazy, but to be honest most people listen to their music on completely dogshit speakers and seem to be weirdly okay with that.

Outside of crackling or other obvious distortions, I have never been able to tell audio quality apart. Either audio is playing or it's being played incorrectly, I honestly can't tell what "better" audio is.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jerry Cotton posted:

Well if you're used to lovely speakers and try out better ones you might find that "oh wait what the gently caress this song has a flute? and cello?" which is what happened to me when I got some decent headphones for my PC.

It depends on what we're defining as "lovely speakers" because mine are:

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Standard, inexpensive desktop computer speakers

With good reviews, so I find it hard to believe they are lovely. To me, a lovely speaker is broken, or so underpowered as to be laughable, like the kind inside kid's toys that make noise.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Tiggum posted:

If you're going to have a cooked breakfast (and it's not just whatever you already have in the fridge) the only choice is full English. The specifics (like, do you include spinach? Fried tomato?) are down to taste and availability, but the core concept of meat, eggs, toast and your choice of extras is perfect. My ideal version is bacon, sausage, scrambled egg, toast, mushrooms, baked beans, cup of tea & a beer.

Baked beans don't belong in a breakfast.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

Baked beans don't belong anywhere but the trash.

Honestly this is how I feel too but I didn't want to go this far and risk upsetting some delicate British sensibilities.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Pick posted:

Toy Story 3 sucks.

Were you the one critic who kept it from getting a 100% score on Rotten Tomatoes?

I have no idea how anyone could dislike that movie. Indifferent? Sure, but actively hating it?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Pick posted:

It is 95% unmemorable, and 5% emotional cheap shots.

I'm not even mad, I honestly feel sad for you.

Tiggum posted:

Also, the Gothel is a weird villain. She's minding her own business when some selfish arsehole steals her magic flower. She tries to get the magic back without harming anyone, but finds out the only way is to kidnap Rapunzel (and if she doesn't get the magic, she dies). But then she raises Rapunzel as a daughter and keeps her safe, because she has good reason to believe (and is absolutely right) that if people found out about her they'd try to kidnap her and steal her magic. And then she gets brutally murdered by a comic relief sidekick.

You can't use "fear of death" as a motivation factor, everyone's afraid to die but the rest of us don't go around kidnapping innocent people to stay forever young.

...well, except Peter Theil.

Also she does not "keep her safe" she shelters the gently caress out of her in an extremely unhealthy way.

WampaLord has a new favorite as of 17:53 on Jan 7, 2017

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Aesop Poprock posted:

I'm still very confused how Frozen was such a huge thing. I didn't think it was bad but I barely remember anything about it, and I liked stuff like Inside Out and find that memorable

It speaks deeply to teenage girls. That is the secret of ultimate box office success.

Titanic, Twilight, etc.

"Let it go" is the anthem of teen girl independence.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Tiggum posted:

I'm not saying Gothel is the good guy. Like I said, there really aren't any in that film. I am saying that she doesn't do anything bad (that we know of) until the king steals her magic flower that she needs to live. Stealing babies is wrong and you shouldn't do it. But stealing someone's life-support system artificial life extending device is definitely worse.

Fixed. Gothel needs to sack up and realize she's gonna die one day.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

The only reason I like the original trilogy of Star Wars was because I saw them when I was a kid. I don't know why new generations clomp onto them besides "its nerdy and I want to associate with nerd culture."

Perhaps they saw it as kids too?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Pick posted:

Obsession with pop culture is decadent and morally indefensible.

You definitely have a worldview that leads to lots of unpopular opinions.

"Obsession" with anything is bad, that's why we created a bad word for it that differentiates it from "Liking." Thought I suspect your idea of what "obsession with pop culture" is and mine probably don't line up.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jastiger posted:

But, and this may be my PHUO here, i genuinely have moral conflict when folks know about genetic defects and intentionally propagate them and/or bring them to term.

Do you think anyone is doing this because "gently caress yes, now I get a defective baby!" because that's the impression you're giving off here.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jastiger posted:

Like you havent seen "baby is a gift from the Lord god bess us [while all our hopes and dreams are dashed because every waking hour for the rest of our lives just became this babies]"

Or that girl without a skull that was on SA years ago, thise parents didnt seem upset

I'm very glad you're not in a position of authority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jastiger posted:

You disagree?

I think pointing at outliers when I ask a question about normal human behavior is a way to dodge the point. I also think that you think determining absolutes is extremely easy, which is never a good thing,

To prove my point, let's assume I just made you God King in charge of Childbirth/Screening. How are you gonna run things?