Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Not just espers but hero ring mats too. I got all my espers to max level, have enough leftovers to max the next one (Carbuncle?), and crafted 8 or so hero rings. They haven't even put magicite up for sale since the Mog cake event,new players are just getting hooped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Shoenin posted:

Hyper's you can just use normally as items right?

Dont need that Drink skill right?

No drink, pop 'em like a normal item (then wander why they aren't getting any limit. Guessing they double limit gain when they get crystals but I dont want to blow far plane souls crafting and testing that)

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Exdeath may be able to dual summon giant death space rocks or w/e but I think it's more important to point out that he's a kickin' rad heavy armor mage treeguy with a sword that can cut through space-time and he picks fights with turtles. Exdeath's pretty cool!
I hope I roll one soon

SquirrelGrip posted:

aight cool

i also pulled a CoD, Garland, Kain, Duane and edgar over the last few days

current team im rolling is;

arc
refia
agrias
garland
CoD

who should i be using?

Your current team is pretty good, Garland is the weakest spot in there and Kain is probably definitely better than him with a good spear. Otherwise stay the course until you get some new asskicker to replace Garland/Kain.

e: fixed a thing, Garland's been falling behind with all the new kids

Scrublord Prime fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Nov 23, 2016

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Is something up with the first Diablos fight's challenges? I summoned Dialbos on him in two separate fights and I can't get the "Evoke Diablos" challenge. I'm not finding much with my google-fu with this either.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

God damnit Gumi. Thanks, I'll give limits a spin once my energy recovers

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

CyberLord XP posted:

I'm a pretty new F2P player. I've ground about 10k karma and am getting ready to cash out. Is it worth it to grab the Vernard or Lad Mirazh? Or is it more worth it to grab a cactuars and awakening mats?

Do you have anybody who uses spears? The Lad is a good deal for spear users since the better spears are either TMs (super grindy) or past event items and unavailable. The Vernard isn't as worth it since there's a better sword available without spending karma (Intagir trial gives the Enhancer a friend super-Lighting can probably solo it) and most sword weilders can also equip katanas and there's a good katana that isn't too hard to get (defeat the White Dragon in the vortex to get the Murasama(?)).

Metal Gigantaurs are good but remember that it costs gil to enhance and the price goes up with higher levels. If you got the gil to do so then yeah, power level with them. Getting your team to max rank&level will be a huge power increase. If you have any 6* capable units then look at buying the cheap 6* awakening mats too, look at your characters to see what to spend your karma on. I wouldn't worry about the expensive 6* unlimited mats, there'll be another source of them by the time you need them.

Buy the Sacred Crystals! You always need them to awaken anybody who's worth using and isn't already 5* and you blow energy on the RNG trying to get them. Getting these when you need them sucks.

There's also some cheap summoning tickets too to blow karma on. The next banner has Faris, a full breaker which is invaluable (all stats debuff at rates higher than the individual breaks) or you can save them for another banner. You can trade Star Quartz for some good gear (Earrings for 50 quarts gives +20% magic for example) but now that there's the arena I'm not sure if it's worth spending on. Screamroot and Fine Alcrysts can be forged into keys buy you can just buy a 5 key-pack with about 500 lapis and just get all the really good chests (stat+10% ability recipes basically) and save your karma on something else. I don't think the exclusive abilities/materia on this event are worth spending all your karma on for a new player.

tl;dr The spear if you have Kain or Elza or another spear user, metal gigantaurs as long as your gil holds out, sacred crystals, 6* awakening mats, summoning tickets in that order maybe. You can still trade in karma for another week so there's no need to blow them all right away while you decide/get more feedback, just don't forget to trade them in before next Thursday!

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

jfc gumi, I was still trying to eke out a bit more karma too to shore up on metal gigantaurs or a trust moogle depending on what I rolled next week. It ain't worth the energy to just get 200 karma a run now (lol@ seeing any metal gods, I only ever saw two packs of two this whole time).

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

rio posted:

Questiosn!

Lenna isn't just a healer, she gets a move called Cheer which is a ATK&DEF +40% buff to the entire party for three turns and it makes CoD hit like an even bigger truck. You don't need a healer in the early game but eventually you'll need somebody who just spams Curaja every turn so work on her when you have some spare energy.

Like AegisP said Rydia is a summoner and magic DPS. Her limit can give a huge chunk to the esper summon gauge and she gives espers some buffs but it's still mostly trash. Her spell selection is mediocre saved by knowing Meteor and she's super squishy. She's better than Vivi but definitely work on Arc too as he'll out-DPS both of them with his Dual-BlackMagic.

You should check the Exvius Wiki and check the Explorations and Towns bits. There are good rewards for doing explorations and quests but not all of them are that great and like you said lots are boring. Espers past Siren are locked behind town/side quests and those are 100% must do content for example. Check the maps on the wiki when you do town quests and explorations to make sure you get everything/the important bits so you don't have to hug every wall or any of that poo poo. There is exploration-only crafting materials too, like Fire/Ice Megacrysts for Hero Rings (ATK&MAG+10%, they're good) and Magicite to power up espers for example.

For the two daily explorations you can just do the Earth Shrine with encounter reducers (Diablos 2* and the Charm Bangle give this and they stack) or what's even easier is to do the Esper fights. They count as explorations because this game was coded by a dog chewing on a keyboard. Do Siren 1* twice and you'll get your explorations.

Spend tickets on good banners. The generic one doesn't have any boosts to any units if you want to pull but don't care for who has their rate ups. The next banner is a FF5 one with Gilgamesh (?), Exdeath (current best mage with 6* Dual Cast Meteors that do bonus damage to multiple types to enemies), Faris (full breaker, reduces all stats on one enemy by a rate greater than the individual x-breaks), and Bartz (?). It's a good banner to do daily pulls and spend tickets on because Exdeath is rad and Full Breakers are really handy to have.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Aw yeah, finally Exdeath is on a banner! Time to pull!

Anzelm :rolldice:

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

I think the five (Lapis/Ether/StarQuartz/Potion/Lapis) Arena rewards is daily, just it resets at a weird time. I'd guess it's timed to reset at the same time as the weekly rankings except daily but I haven't really experimented with it to find out.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

CoD also gets some mtigation via Aura Ball (AoE attack down and silence), but Faris also gets Focus (+40% MAG&SPI, it's the magic version of Lenna's Cheer). You got some leeway with who you have and can make a party that can focus on physical or magic DPS. Faris/Exdeath/Kefka/Arc/???(probably Lenna) can nuke the poo poo out of fights during that kind of content and arena fights. CoD/Ezla/???/Lenna/Faris can bring the physical damage pain and would be a good party for the big Maxwell fight in the last event for example, or swap Faris for another ??? if the boss resists the ATK/MAG down part of Full Break and you don't need the SPI buff from Focus to survive.

For now I'd go with Shark Tower's suggestion and work towards: CoD/Elza/Lenna/Exdeath/Faris. This'll cover all your bases and give utility when needed. Once they're up you can work on Kefka (he has a 6* coming in a few months) or Arc or whatever neat characters you pick up along the way. Buttz is probably closer to a third stringer.

For multiples, it depends on TM rewards and if you want to work on certain parties. Having a party full of Exdeaths is a fine magic DPS since you can dual cast Meteor and wreck poo poo. You can also get multiple copies of Trust Masteries by getting one from each character if you want to grind/macro that out. You can also squeeze copies of the same character, regardless of rank, into one and they'll give their TrustMastery% + 5% to who they're fed to. You can get +5% right away or make a party of your TM grind character and mash 'em together once they all have enough TM% to get the reward.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Yeah, going for the good skills like Chen Kenichi suggested is the way to go. Once you have them then feel free to slow down and focus on the x1.5 bonuses, the rest of the skills can usually be made up like Dispel or aren't critical like Stone Killer. Green Magicite will never give x1.5 (at least, so far according to the Japanese version) so go hog wild on that. Orange is probably worth trying to conserve as a later esper, Titan, gets a bonus on that.

Chamber of Crystals is totally underwhelming, most sources of magicite are. There were arguments made just to do Phantom Forest Exploration for better efficiency months ago but I don't know if they unfucked the magicite rates in exploration. The FFT event was a godsend (think easy exploration that spewed all kinds of magicite and megacrysts) and we could really use another for new players.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

I've been doing Lenna, 5* casters have become super squishy in these last couple events and anything to keep them from getting killed in one round is nice.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Great! Now all I have to do is actually draw a Garland instead of multiple Anzelms and Bediles! :v:

Haven't drawn an Exdeath yet on this banner, either.

Same :smith:

I just want a murdertreewizard, I don't care about Anzelm x2 and yet another Luna (but I did get a Faris who is way cooler than Ignus so I'll level her up at some point)

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Exdeath is a better mage than Arc. 6* means better stats, get killer passives applied to magic, and he gets Meteor which can be dual casted. Drop an Arc for Exdeath.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

Can somebody tell me what a killer shark is doing in the forest in the middle of a snow storm?

Looks pretty clear to me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrCvYGVV1EA

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Head to the left part of town where you got on the boat to the northern sea area.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Here's a fun bit in FF3DS: You can only save on the world map. There's no way to save inside of a dungeon except possibly quicksaves that are deleted on load, idr. FF3 has some obscenely long dungeons capped with a boss. Now these bosses got a buff from the NES days and can take multiple actions per turn and have AoE attacks that will wreck your poo poo. FF3DS also has a semi-random turn order: Agility makes it more likely that you'll go first but there's no guarantee. There is nothing stopping bosses from being able to use their party wide attack back to back before you can heal due to the turn order RNG which will either wipe your party or leave you in an unrecoverable state.

Now mix this in with the final dungeon of FF3: The Crystal Tower. Spoilers (the plot in FF3 is garbage and not worth caring about): It's three parts: The Labyrinth of the Ancients, The Crystal Tower itself, and the World of Darkness. There's a world map bit between LotA and CT so you can save but you can't leave to restock without going through LotA again. Now when you climb CT you fight Xande after a long friendship unite cutscene and find the real last boss: Cloud of Darkness. You then go into the WoD, fight four more bosses, open chests containing a copy of the Xande boss you just fought, and even more encounters. Finally you can fight Cloud of Darkness who can immediately use her giant gently caress-off attack back to back on the first two turns without a chance to heal inbetween and basically wipe you.

I may be bitter

The jobs were also rebalanced. The original FF3 had jobs spread across the entire game and most were intended to be straight up upgrades over previous classes. Like Warrior would be entirely replaced by the Knight who'd be replaced by the Ninja. The Ninja and Sage were the endgame classes found in the final dungeon's side-dungeon. In FF3DS they redid it all and tried to make all the classes more level with each other stat-wise which doesn't gel with the game and, when combined with the retuning that made enemies stronger, made the game way harder than the original NES version.

Finally they changed how you change jobs. In the NES version you'd gain Capacity Points when you fight and spend them to change classes. The "farther" a class' role is from your current one the more it costs, offset by the job level I think. In FF3DS they changed it to a stat penalty that you need to fight X number of fights to negate, and it's a pretty hefty penalty. You basically can't change classes on a whim, you need to fight your way out of debt. It's an extra pain in the rear end at best, and worst can cost you precious healing items like phoenix downs which aren't available to buy until the endgame.

gently caress FF3DS.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Ugh, I'm not liking this new trend of needing new characters, most base 4*+, to make events a not-tedious grind. If there's Metal God Kings again then I'm going to take a break because gently caress that.

I can't get an Exdeath at all, this week has been 2x Anzelm, Luna, 2x Faris, and a Maria. Guess I'll just blow my karma-cactuars on Faris then.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Limit Break level/exp is based on the current ranking of the character. At 3* it's something like 500 exp to get it to level 2, at 5* it's 1500 to level 2. You gain +1 limit break EXP for each use. Yeah, it takes loving ages to increase the level by one. The level scales its effect, most LB's do damage so it makes it do more damage but buff LBs like Cecil's will increase the amount they buff for example. Exdeath's has a chance to cause bad status and the chance of that increases with limit break level. The max level you can get a LB up to is also dependent on the rank of the character. For example at 3* it's 10 and 5* it's 20 or 25?

There are limit burst posts that you can feed characters to get +100 or so limit burst EXP.

It's dumb and don't grind for it unless you really want to min/max (and have a macro to do so). I've been playing since about launch and I only have one character close to hitting their lv2 limit break through normal play, barring Cecil who I got at 3*s and fed a bunch of limit burst pots to.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

The secret of Mogcakes is it was diabolical training of the userbase

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

When 7* units come we'll probably see a new evo mat dungeon level for 6* material drops with 7* mats taking over the tedium. Or we'll keep the tedium and 7* will become a new unique kind of hell.

Awakening - Elite. 25 Energy, drops two random 6* mats and trash mats. Sacred Crystals are not on the drop table, Holy Crystals are. :gumi:

e: not serious please don't read this post gumi

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

rio posted:

I got the Bell (harp weapon?) from the event dungeon and have no one good who can use it...and I can't get anything else to drop that I can actually use except the dumb joke swords from Gilgamesh. This is my first try at an event and it is pretty disappointing. I can almost beat pro level and I will try again tomorrow, but it seems like a rng bullshit fest to get anything useful out of it. Is that how these events typically go?

I think this is the second like this. A few levels from Beginner to Elite where the completion reward is trash all the way until Elite-1 which has the unique prize then Elite gives a trust moogle. The other one I remember is a FF4 Giant of Babel dungeon where you fight the four fiends and Golbez who has a party-wide RNG death attack. :rip:

More often it's a grind event: Do the event instance to get event currency that you spend on w/e including 6* awakening mats, some gear and abilities, a trust moogle, and 100 gigantaurs. Exact grindiness varies, last one had heaps of bullshit RNG to get good returns. The upcoming one might be more of the same, it gives bonus currency if you do the event instance with characters introduced on the same day the event starts. We'll have to see when more details become available though.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

The wiki has the Hanging Edge event page up. It isn't complete but it does have the tradeins and early guide. Assuming it's accurate it.. doesn't look pretty! Highlights are a Crushing Blow AoE edition for Lightning, Snow can get a 50% DEF/SPI self-buff, and there' s a DEF/SPI+10% combined materia for FF13 characters. The rest is the baseline stuff, mats to craft the two exclusive items (although like FFT you only get one of a required mat so you can't make multiples), FF13 character weapons, and purchasable ATK/MAG/DEF/SPI/MP+10% materia. Weee :geno:

Scrublord Prime fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Dec 2, 2016

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

KataraniSword posted:

Wrong. It's Thundaga with a Thunder Resist Down chaser.

It's magic. On Lightning. Which means it's loving garbage.

Ahahaha jfc

What a garbage event

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Fisting Tent posted:

Just did an experiment and the green seem to drop only when scoring an overkill. I may be wrong.

KataraniSword posted:

It's just bad RNG. They're a lot rarer than the red, but they drop normally too. Past that, you can focus all your attacks on one enemy at a time even after it's "dead" by selecting them before you launch your attacks. Units with lots of hits in their attack are best, which is actually a point in favor of Lightning's ridiculously overelaborate animation.

Esper orbs are random but stingy. The last event had a challenge where you had to summon a certain esper vs a boss. People would "reset" a turn (close the app before their turn ended to make the app bring them back to the start of their turn) if they didn't get enough of the green esper orbs so they could get the summon off.

You can focus fire down an enemy by tapping them on the screen. It's no guarantee that you'll get enough to actually use an esper though. You may need to bring weaker characters, tell stronger characters to just defend, and have a healer cast healing magic on an enemy to keep them alive long enough to get a summon off. If you do have Rydia or Garnet though bring them, it's much easier to get their limit gauge full than the esper gauge.

e: added quote for page snype (and KataraniSword's answer too which is more concise version of mine)

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

If you take off all their gear and esper (or look at their stats under View Units, it won't apply the esper bonus there) you can see what stat bonuses they get from stat pots. It doesn't change their base stats so it'll show +230 HP when Lenna is at max HP from pots for example.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

You can get the recipe for the atk+10% material in the water Shrine at the end of the current story. I wouldn't spend gears on it unless it's necessary.

E: but yeah, loading up on atk+ material is good for cloud.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

My exciting Exvius weekend was just farting around and grinding Awakening or challenges. I set up my arena team to Maxwell spamming Genesis, CoD spamming Darkside via Diablos, Faris Bladeblitzing until Cecil/WoL is left who eats Full Breaks, and Tellah who raises CoD's or spams Recall praying for Death. I haven't even bothered pulling, I'm hoarding for Orlandu or w/e other cool characters are coming up.

Really this event got me to work on my Seven Knights team and grinding trash and squeezing them all together. Thanks Gumi!

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

dewer posted:

A beefy Giglamesh friend one shotted all of them with his AOE move for me.

Vax's Exdeath might be able to dual cast them all down in 1 turn if you hit their weakness.

I just tested this: Threw Vax's Exdeath at it with a dual casted Meteor and a Focus. The first meteor did ~60-70%, the second finish it. Obviously can't get all of the challenges in one go due to No Magic but it'll get the No KO easily.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

WebDO posted:

So uh, either the amount of stat pots you can apply increases when you awaken a unit, it it resets them to zero. Hooray.

It goes up. Look at Cecil here and his max stat increase from pots goes up with his rarity. I assume it doesn't reset already fed pots but I never tested it.

e: added quote for pagesnpyekyng

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Spirit is magic defense and some minor difference with healing.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

I'm still waiting and holding my lapis and tickets (~95 pulls atm) even on another Lighting banner. I know when pulling for Orlandu I'll finally get my first rainbow crystal and it'll pop and be Lightning then so no big rush.
j/k it'll be a 5* Galuf instead

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Cry Havoc posted:

wow 95 pulls how many tickets / lapis

22000 lapis (48 pulls) and 47 tickets. I've been semi-hoarding since the second FFT banner or so. Should be a fun day in this thread when it's time to burn them all chasing Orlandu or so.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

No, but I've had a beefy friend unit counter and kill enemies I was trying to fish for esper/limit break cyrstals before. I don't think I've ever seen any character not target the selected unit unless it was in/about to start its death animation.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

I've been playing since July and I only got my first 4* base character during the FF3 banner on a daily pull. It was a Rosa :negative:

If it wasn't for Maxwell she'd be my only character that is 4*+ base. I've never seen a rainbow crystal either.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Now watch the game come back up and nobody's giving bonus gears anymore

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

My guess:
- 100 energy
- 100 gears
- 3x Metal Snappers, Gigantaurs
- 3x Arena summon tickets

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Used a compensation ticket on the FF5 banner: Got my first Exdeath! :toot: Got somebody to feed a million cactuars too now.

E: felt lucky and got a Bartz too! That's the whole FF5 crew besides Greg :toot:

Scrublord Prime fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Dec 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

kalensc posted:

Can someone please provide advice on how to beat Gilgamesh? ELT was going fine until he destroyed me in the final battle.

I had brought Agrais for Full Break, Lenna for Cheer/Heals, Charlotte for Provoke/Defend, and my two maxed CoD's and a CoD friend.

My other characters I could slot in include maxed ExDeath x2, Vaan, or Bartz. Everyone else is stuck at 5* right now, including my two Cecils.

Should I consider bringing a friend Cecil and replacing Charlotte with an ExDeath? Or a second healer (...Fina)?

Thanks for any tips!

Cecil as a second healer and the tank is probably the way to go. Two maxed CoDs should be good DPS. Try to keep Omniviel up for Greg's wind aoe attack, remember to full break every turn, and if you feel that Greg is dishing out too much damage don't forget you can force close the app and hope for better RNG. I beat him with a similar setup: Kefka, Cloud, Lenna, Cecil, Faris, and friend super Cloud and I had a few bad rounds where I had to reset.

• Locked thread