Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mental-Rectangle posted:

Should also mention, NC's GOP has been ruthless at every turn since 2008.

-NC is the most gerrymandered state in the country. In 2012 democrats won a majority of votes for the Congressional delegation, but took only 4 of the 13 seats.
-NC's general assembly is the same way. Republicans enjoy permanent supermajorities in both houses which are impossible to get rid of, even in a national democratic tide.
-NC is the only state I'm aware of where the General Assembly draws districts for itself AND the governor cannot veto them.
-The GOP previously tried to prevent the state Supreme Court election from happening through unconstitutional means. They're well aware that control of the court would give democrats a chance of breaking out of their electoral prison. When Edmund's term was nearing its end, they tried to set up a retention election, which would've been "voters can choose to keep Edmunds on another term, or get rid of him, in which case McCrory would appoint a successor". This was blocked at the federal level. Should give you some idea of the lengths they're willing to go.
-When democrats won big in Raleigh and Greensboro in 2012 (there were no Republicans left in elected office in Wake County after all the teabaggers on the schoolboard were voted out), the General Assembly intervened and drew new gerrymandered districts for those municipal elections.

NC's not getting rid of the GOP's stranglehold. They could rise up and violently depose and execute the entirety of the NC GOP and all that'd happen is President Trump would wipe out half the state and then the RNC would install new GOP politicians.

The state's a good example of what the nation's about to experience. There is zero reason to believe the NC GOP isn't going to do the worst case scenario poo poo here since they will have a unified GOP-held federal government to support them and Trump's SCOTUS pick will all but ensure the current lawsuits against NC all end at least 5-4 in their favor. Simply put: The Democrats in this country are idiots and the GOP have won on a level a lot of people still haven't come to realize.

The Muppets On PCP posted:

i swear to god we're gonna wind up having voter id every other election

In 2020, possibly 2018, you should fully expect voter ID requirements to be a nationwide thing. The GOP can and will pass a law for Trump to sign once they can and there's no way in hell it isn't going to be upheld by the SCOTUS.

Draynar posted:

Is there nothing we can do if they really try the method the OP stated?

Correct. There are no legal outlets that aren't ultimately controlled by the GOP and any attempt to remove them by violence is going to see martial law at best.

Mons Hubris posted:

At least the recount isn't unexpected. That was going to happen no matter what, as long as it was within 10,000 votes.

The more I think about this situation, the more I'm of two minds on it. On one hand, the legislature has a supermajority so it's not like they have to worry about a lot of stuff getting vetoed, they don't really seem to like McCrory anyway, and it would use up a ton of political capital. On the other hand, I'm fundamentally beginning to question whether political capital is a relevant concept anymore for the legislature, since they went through the HB2 stuff and lost no net seats.

Political capital is meaningless when you have total and absolute control to begin with. The NC GOP cannot be voted out of power short of an election wave that turns literally the entire country blue.

Evil Fluffy has issued a correction as of 01:50 on Nov 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

pathetic little tramp posted:

But the SBOE coming down hard against McCrory appears to be on purpose; by not giving him any leeway, I think they're hoping to keep him from being able to petition the GA to call the election 'contested'. At this point, if McCheese were to say the election was contested, the only evidence they would have would be "We felt like it was." Cooper would take that to SCOTUS and basically have to win, or else elections would cease to have any meaning whatsoever.

I'm not sure how the SCOTUS would rule on this kind of case and I really hope we don't have to find out. Since he's being shot down by his own party via the election boards I'd have to think Art Pope or some similar rear end in a top hat is going to pull him aside and tell him "you're going to concede, or else" and then move on to have the GA gut the governorship of as much power as possible so that Cooper has to just sit and watch the GOP continue to gently caress the state sideways.

I pray to God that the ruling against Wisconsin's political gerrymandering is enough to finally push Kennedy to acknowledge its problems and rule against it instead of being wishy-washy like he was in 2004.
http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2016/11/22/wisconsin_partisan_gerrymander_the_supreme_court_could_take_the_case.html

NC and a bunch of other states are likely hosed for over a decade if the SCOTUS alllows political Gerrymandering to remain since the odds of the GOP getting dislodged for the next census seems, rather unlikely.

e: Though there have been some mentions elsewhere that if it looks like the SCOTUS could rule 5-4 against Wisconsin they might just not appeal it at all so that only one state instead of all 50 would be affected.

Evil Fluffy has issued a correction as of 02:06 on Nov 30, 2016

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

It'll also depend on how much the Dems have their poo poo together. If they want to actually prove they aren't completely worthless the DNC will make this their first (of many) salvos against the GOP and dump a ton of resources in to it. Especially if/when Cooper becomes governor and is able to keep the NCGOP from loving with voters too badly.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

gently caress. marry. t-rex posted:

"The number of votes per race exceeded the software limitation" lol at like 30% turnout to.

They probably figured their suppression was going to be more effective than it was. Though it was still extremely effective and if it happened nationwide would ensure Democrats can't win the POTUS without an Obama 2008-level turnout.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

It's a shame he's going to pack the supreme court otherwise NC would have a chance at recovering from his insanity.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Bodyholes posted:

...The list isn't finished yet... there's still the special session. Will he pack the court?

I've yet to see a single good argument for why they wouldn't pack the court during the special session. His concession could even be to soften the blow of doing so since packing the court while fighting a losing battle over the governorship would probably look too corrupt even for the NC GOP.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

NC GOP releases a statement saying they won't pack the court without saying they won't pack the court.

"Here's a list of things we're not going to do. Please don't point out that 'packing the court' is not included on this list."

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Looking forward to hearing about the passage of a new bill that just so happens to cripple the governor's authority while handing all the power to the GA.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Agean90 posted:

This isn't france, North Carolina has plenty of good hangin trees.

I can only laugh at the idea any (right-wing) politician in the US is even slightly afraid of being shot/hung/stabbed/etc by anyone that isn't to the right of them politically.

e: I don't live in NC but I'm extremely interested to see what sort of new restrictions the GA places for the special elections next year because it'll be a rough draft of what people should expect for the 2018 midterms nationwide.

Evil Fluffy has issued a correction as of 22:52 on Dec 14, 2016

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Coheed and Camembert posted:

I for one am glad that Democrats raised $13,000 for the NC GOP a few months back.

I'd forgotten about this. Democrats can't help but shoot themselves in the face.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Phone posted:

Nah, they're guileless cartoon villains who will insist that they haven't had and will not have any cookies when you walk in on them when they're elbow deep into the cookie jar.

Meanwhile Dems are the parent who looks at them and goes "oh well ok then :shobon:" and lets it continue.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

The NCGOP knows that people are only going to yell and scream, whether online or in person before getting arrested, so they have zero reason to give the slightest gently caress about any protests. Even if someone tried to get violent it'd just give them (and the GOP on a nationwide level) to go so hard on totalitarianism that it'll make the PATRIOT Act look like the New Deal.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

It doesn't matter, he didn't fix things exactly the right way, ugh both parties are just the same, next time I'm voting republican.

This will unironically be the thought of tens of thousands of people when Cooper's up for reelection because "the GOP controls the GA and made Cooper powerless" won't matter. See also: Trump's reelection in 2020 when the Dems manage to poo poo the bed again and the media goes back to its "both sides are the same! The truth is is the middle" shtick. Except the neo-nazi news outlets which are probably going to explode in popularity over the next few years.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Spaced God posted:

Wrt HB-2, their hands are tied because it's clearly not possible to do anything but hurricane relief bills in a hurricane relief special session.
https://twitter.com/RaleighReporter/status/811596918199558144

loving two timing pricks.

Good, the Democrats are gullible morons and either they'll eventually wise up or they'll be completely destroyed by their own stupidity. It's just unfortunate they do the same thing on a national level and gently caress the rest of us in the process.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

This is starting to make me happy in a morbid way. The Democrats don't learn on their own so maybe, maybe having the GOP openly laugh in their faces might help them get the clue they need.

gently caress. marry. t-rex posted:

If only there was some way a unhappy populace could violently punish it's tyrannical aristocratic rulers

Republicans make literal hit lists of their opponents, leading to things like a crazy follower shooting a congresswoman in the head. Democrats cry because they trusted the GOP and really thought the GOP wouldn't stab them in the back yet again. Yeah I'm sure the NCGOP is really loving afraid of the left in America.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Karl Barks posted:

so lemme get this straight, charlotte promised to repeal their ordinance blocking HB2 if the state repealed HB2 afterwards. instead, the GOP isn't repealing HB2 and is instituting a moratorium on allowing charlotte from reversing their own repeal?

Yep.

If anyone is wondering how the Democrats can consistent snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, this is a pretty good example. The Democratic Party is full of idiots who can't help but shoot themselves in the face as often as possible.

Again, I'm glad the GOP made the Democrats look like the colossal idiots they are. The only downside is that the Dems aren't going to learn from this in any meaningful way. Because they are idiots.

Agean90 posted:

im not joking about the mob, light the building on fire with them locked in it i guarantee their replacements won't try this poo poo

And then in record time, Trump and the GOP to pass new laws that make the PATRIOT Act look like the Civil Rights Act. We'd then get a 5-4, or worse, ruling by the SCOTUS that yes POTUS Trump is allowed to round up anyone he thinks hates America and if it happens to be anyone to the left of Reagan well poo poo I guess that's just how it has to be.

The NC GOP is going to loving destroy the Democrats in next year's election too. Hell they'll probably find some way to slip in a rule that the winning party gets to pick a new governor and get the Democrats to agree to it while also agreeing to poll taxes and voter tests.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

The Muppets On PCP posted:

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/state-politics/article123887379.html

:qq: we don't have enough time to draw a new set of blatantly unconstitutional districts which will be thrown out after the election anyway :qq:

This will hinge entirely upon Kennedy because if the SCOTUS agrees to hear it they'll be doing so with Trump's Scalia replacement. I can't imagine John "my life's goal is to destroy the VRA and CRA" Roberts isn't going to intervene. I'm worried that if/when this and Wisconsin's gerrymandering cases reach the SCOTUS we'll see Kennedy go from his previous stance of "I could rule against it if given sufficient evidence and means to review the impact" to "nah political views aren't protected, Gerrymandering is totally ok if you say it's for politics and not race."

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I can't even begin to imagine what the country would be like if Democrats on a national level gave 1/10th the gently caress that Cooper seems to give in NC. Hopefully he never stops and manages to push some Dem gains in next year's election provided the SCOTUS doesn't interfere and rule in the NCGOP's favor.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Nonsense posted:

Did Pat McCrory lose yet?

He's being considered for a position in Trump's administration IIRC, so no he hasn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

You guys have never heard of "focus on the economy like a laser beam"? I'm not that old, Jeezus.

Anyway, Trump's Supreme Court will cancel North Carolina's 2017 "Your last election was invalid" election, and the districts will probably never be redrawn now.

https://twitter.com/NCDemParty/status/818930818630483969?conversation_id=818930818630483969

Nobody should be the slightest bit surprised by this. Nothing short of a stroke by Kennedy causing him to actually change his views on Gerrymandering and other vote loving is going to stop the death march of voting rights in the US. If any of the liberal justices die or retire with Trump in office then the country is going to become a Christian version of Saudi Arabia pretty quickly.

showbiz_liz posted:

If Cooper pulls off any wins in NC despite the basically evil legislature, he'll totally run for president, right?

The Democratic party leadership is still full of center-right people and human garbage like Chuck Schumer. So unless someone actually pulls an upset like Bernie tried last year we're probably going to see the DNC run a piece of poo poo like Andrew Cuomo against Trump and then wonder why they got blown out*.

* aside from the fact that the GOP is going to be suppressing poor/minority voter rights nationwide for the next 2-4 years and there's pretty much nothing that can or will stop them from doing so.

• Locked thread