Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

an adult beverage posted:

That was the whole purpose of hiring him.

Paid 10m buyout for his 'offensive prowess'

:suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

If we squeak out like 150yds of offense and lose by 5 touchdowns next Saturday, I may just gingerly pack up my UF gear and stow it in the storage building next to my christmas decorations and golf clubs until we can lure someone to Gainesville who has a goddamned clue how to move the football in a meaningful way.

Also, Harbaugh is an autistic punk bitch and I hate him for being reprehensible enough to make me root for Ohio State.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Postmortem on UF game.

Nothing new here.

OL performance against LSU was an aberration. They were on roller skates all night.

Appleby is incapable of taking a sack of less than 9 yards for some loving reason.

Defense played admirably but was literally gutted. Down 2 starting LBs and our best safety, there isn't much you can do against probably the best back in the country.

This offense makes me pine for the heady 200yd passing performances of John loving Brantley. That's really all you need to know.

It's year 2 of an offensive rebuild. Mac will prob get 4 years unless the offense is this bad next year. It's hard to fire a guy who is winning the East again and again but this pattern of getting shithoused by FSU-Bama-whatever bowl opponent is going to end badly for Mac.

Either way we figured this year would probably be a step back and it went basically the same so....yay?

I'm so tired of offensive futility I'd be fine shipping Mac back to Colorado and snapping up Holgorsen or something bc this poo poo is unwatchable.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I'll poo poo in my pants if UF stays within 21 of Bama. I'm betting 35+ deficit easily.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

pillsburysoldier posted:

The FSU UF differential last year was 25, and this year was 18.

Last year's SECCG game was only 14 points with Treon Harris.

Maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised? But injured to death?

Who knows. I may not even watch the game. Such an ugly lovely team.

Who am I kidding I almost certainly will. gently caress me.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

pillsburysoldier posted:

https://twitter.com/GrahamHall_/status/802741608349396992

You gotta watch, just because that kid believes that much.

Not too smart though

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

KKKLIP ART posted:

you wanna put a toxx on that?

Not particularly. The loss is going to be unpleasant enough.

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 27, 2016

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

AsInHowe posted:

Like Bryant, Schembechler became one of the one-name coaches (Knute, Bear, Ara, Woody) and seemed to enjoy the role of statesman/philosopher, America's Coach, during the late 1980's.

:ughh:

Y'all....

I know Michigan has always been the stuffy, key-jingling, backwards-looking dickheads we love to tease, but drat.

"Bo could've won titles he just didn't because the Big Ten was more important!" :haw:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I understand the process being weird and maybe viewing the Rose Bowl as the controllable trophy at the end of your season, but pretending they didn't matter is something else altogether I think.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

an adult beverage posted:

Jesus Florida is a 22 point underdog in the SEC CG.

Florida has been a 20+ point underdog two times in the last forty years.

When was the other? Was it last year's SECCG too?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Scionix posted:

*tff opens the ark of the covenant from indiana jones*

"two of the best four teams are in the same conference division."

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH

And neither of them deserve to be in the playoff without winning their own division.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Scionix posted:

so the goal is not, in fact, to pick the best four teams. a bold strategy.

I guess you're going to argue the eye test?

Arguing logic with a Bama fan is already a Sisyphean task, but I'll try again since I hate myself and everyone else.

If you aren't the best team in your division, you cannot be the best team in the country. I said in 2011 and I'll say it again.

No, Ohio State should not make it into the playoffs over a team that wins its conference. This isn't loving rocket science.

I'm not saying Ohio State isn't a great team. They just don't belong there over their conference or division champ.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

MourningView posted:

I think there's a pretty easy argument to make that they're still the best team in their division/conference when you look at the season as a whole

I'm firmly in the Conference Champions Only camp.

Sometimes really good teams lose games and their shot at titles. It happens--but subjectively overriding the results on the field is really dumb.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

MourningView posted:

assuming a team is better because of one game also seems dumb to me. is penn state worse than Pitt? Or for that matter why is Penn State better than a Michigan team that demolished them?

Why have conferences then? Or games? We can go full Meat Market and declare a champion beauty-pageant style. It'll be really great.

Just know that this is the kind of thinking that allows Bama to claim a billion false championships because they felt they were the best team. I figure we can all unite against that.

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Nov 29, 2016

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

swickles posted:

So you don't claim the 2012 title, right?

He's making fun of my argument by repeating its correctness.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Fluffdaddy posted:

Except your argument completely discounts the entire season for a championship game that is for the most part meaningless, especially if half the conference is garbage and the other half is stacked.

As much as I hate Ohio State, they are better than whomever wins the Big Ten. If Florida magically beats Alabama on Saturday, Florida's garbage rear end doesn't just leap into the playoffs because they had one good game. Alabama still goes to the playoffs because they are still a better team.

I'm not suggesting UF gets in the insanely impossible where their broken asses beat Bama.

But maybe another one loss conference champ deserves to get in over Bama at that point.

Besides, if UFs garbage team beats Bama they almost certainly don't deserve to be in the playoff. Jesus.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Look I'm an adult and I know this poo poo is messy and controversial and there's no way to make everyone happy. I'm cool with the results in general and I just want to watch good football.

Having said that, I argue this occasionally for two reasons:
A) it feels weird to have a national champion that didnt even win its goddamned division. And I know that's a weird purity test, but c'mon now.
B) it pisses off Bama fans.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Fluffdaddy posted:

Why would it piss us off? They aren't going to pack up the trophy case because of your argument. You are basically pissing in the wind and screaming "got em" as the urine goes back into your mouth.

Sounds erotic

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

MourningView posted:

Why? Teams lose to worse teams all the time. Penn State let Pitt run for like 700 yards on them and lost. Alabama lost to Ole Miss last year and then won the title. Michigan beat Penn State by 39 and then lost to an Iowa team that Penn State beat by 27. One game samples are not as clean and perfect as we want them to be, and throwing out the rest of the season because of one blocked kick is dumb.

Penn State getting run all over by a middling ACC team or OSU blowing the door off the probable Big XII champion obviously don't matter in terms of who wins the Big Ten, but I'm not sure why that means we should also ignore them when it comes to deciding the champion of the whole sport.

I don't think anyone is explicitly saying you're disqualified with a bad loss. I know I'm not saying that, although it happens to be true of the Ohio St deal this year w the tiebreaker loss to PSU.

Whatever it's dumb, messy and illogical.

It just feels dirty to crown a champ that couldn't even win it's division. If you aren't the best team in your small division of your conference and didn't even have to play/win a championship game for that conference, how can you be selected by eye test for a championship playoff?

But it doesn't matter. There will always be controversy and we will all have conflicting opinions.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

https://twitter.com/osgators/status/804135398574276608

:laffo:

Jesus christ this game is going to be a loving snuff film.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

LLCoolJD posted:

At least Rutgers has the excuse of being Rutgers. Homer Simpson calling plays in the skybox could do better than that with Florida. Holy poo poo.

Even with the small sampling size, I can only remember UF loving up in the redzone lately.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Thoguh posted:

Saban's ability to keep them all together and motivated when they don't is one of the things that makes him such an amazing coach.

Yep. And it doesn't come along often. Carroll was the same way. He'd recruit 5* qbs every year with no concerns about depth chart. Meyer has been able to do that at OSU as well, even though he couldn't quite hold it together at UF at QB

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

pillsburysoldier posted:

All Urban Meyer QBs are actually bad at QBing

Tebow vs FSU

48/80 (68.6%) 668yds 9TD/0INT

44 rushes 259yds 5TD.

Seems pretty good to me.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

General Dog posted:

-1998: KSU upset by A&M

That was a weird year.

UCLA was really good and maybe undefeated with Cade McNown and Skip Hicks. They lost to USC or something at the end of the year and fell out of contention.

Arkansas almost upset Tennessee in the SECCG but Clint Stoerner had to drop the goddamned football trying to keep his balance.

Kansas St was awesome with Michael Bishop but then they lost to A&M.

So Tennessee lucked their way through the season. FSU skated in despite losing Weinke, and then couldn't beat UT with Marcus Outzen.

Strange season, y'all.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

LLCoolJD posted:

Saban hasn't really had to rely on astounding QB play outside of some inspired final drives vs. LSU. Responsible game managers protected by NFL-bound linemen and NFL-bound RBs are what he wants. If he had a Cam Newton or Tim Tebow the NCAA would have to legislate a mercy rule.

McCarron and McElroy had that Ken Dorsey Force of Nature Inevitability Quality where if they got the ball back you knew they could distribute it well enough to do whatever needed to happen to win.

Like whenever Derek Bell used to play the Braves. Seemed like he got a gamewinning hit every loving time.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Crotch Bat posted:

Ken Dorsey was proof that anyone could QB behind a 100% fully NFL-ready OL and an ungodly amount of skill position talent.

I disagree.

He was a noodle-armed dork, but he never made a bad decision. I don't think he would've been nearly as successful elsewhere bc he couldn't carry a team by himself, but he was no slouch.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Grittybeard posted:

Decided to look up the non-Bama QBs he's had. The best I guess are:

Tony Banks (inherited)
Josh Booty (inherited)
Rohan Davey
Matt Mauck

He recruited Jamarcus but he didn't play much while Saban was there.

Rohan Davey was the proto Jamarcus Russell and was pretty loving good.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Crotch Bat posted:

I don't think our positions are mutually exclusive and I don't disagree with yours.

Fair enough. I agree with your overall point, just maybe not that Dorsey is the best example of it. 98 Tee Martin? Gino Toretta?

Man, those 00-02 Miami teams though...holy gently caress.

Berlin didn't do nearly as well with similar talent.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Someone on ESPN tried to make an argument that Dorsey should win the Heisman as a career achievement award and thats about the time I really stopped paying attention to the Heisman and it hasn't really gotten any better.

Well, he lost in 2001 to the ultimate career-achievement winner Eric Crouch (should've gone to Grossman), and was way down the ballot behind Palmer/Banks in 02 (I still think Banks deserved it more).

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

MourningView posted:

I love brad banks but nah. If anyone on that Iowa team deserved it it was Eric Steinbach

He was way more important to his team and surrounded by less talent than Palmer as well as having a much more efficient season.

Grittybeard posted:

Eric Crouch was at least a good college quarterback though and doesn't deserve in any way to be compared to Dorsey (and trust me it loving pains me to say this). Grossman was screwed by antiquated 'can't give it to freshman or sophomores' thinking. That stuff is still around but a little less than it used to be at least.

Dorsey didn't deserve to be a finalist either time he was there. Insert random other Miami starter and he'd be a more worthwhile Heisman vote.

Crouch was one hell of a running back who was asked to occasionally throw a football, but Dorsey was the superior QB. Crouch was 29TD/25INT in his career, compared to 86/28 for Dorsey.

I know they were asked to do different things, but Crouch is like poster boy for career achievement Heisman. And he basically won on that highlight TD reception against OU.

Keep in mind that I'm not arguing that Dorsey is some ubertalented god-king QB--but he was the ultimate cool customer game manager who made few mistakes and was clutch as gently caress. See: basically all his games against FSU.

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Dec 2, 2016

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

MourningView posted:

Man i watched like literally every snap of his career. He really wasn't.

I'll totally abdicate since I didn't watch all the Iowa games that year, but my prevailing memory was a bit different. I think we can agree that Brad Banks is cool and good and I really wish you guys had won that Orange Bowl.

Grittybeard posted:

You're not going to find an argument from me that Crouch probably didn't deserve that Heisman. What you will find from me is an argument against the idea that he deserved it less than Ken Dorsey, who built that pretty TD/INT ration by throwing the same type of ducks to not just superior athletes but ridiculously superior almost shouldn't be on the same field athletes over and over again. Maybe Dorsey's ducks were a little better, but that doesn't make up for the running game and his team probably actually being better for Crouch's being on the field.

Let's drop this before I remember that Crouch actually whined and cried about not getting a chance at QB in the NFL. gently caress I feel dirty already.

But Ken Dorsey didn't win the Heisman? I'm not even saying he should've won it over anyone because I don't believe that--but he was a pretty fantastic college QB with good stats, accurate throws and great decision making. He wasn't Toretta with Miami winning in spite of his incompetence.

I would :lol: at Crouch whining about the QB thing but I watched Tebow basically resist position changes in the NFL and change sports over that kind of thing so I'll pipe down.

FakePoet posted:

Not that it matters that much, but that was in the regular season, not the CG. Both teams entered the game undefeated. I forget the score (28-24? 28-22?), but I do remember that we played them the next year in Fayetteville and we beat them by the exact same score.

Ah gently caress, memory got me again.. Wasn't it late in the season too? I just remember there being a week or two of chaos at the end where poo poo was kind of upended with the KSU/UCLA/Arkansas kind of falling apart. I was really pulling for KSU to make a run bc Bishop was awesome and Gramatica was kicking the stuffing out of footballs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Crotch Bat posted:

Wouldn't matter. FSU would never be capable of selling that place out by themselves or even being 75% of a given crowd. The lowest attended ACCCG was Clemson playing GT and that's because GT has a tiny fanbase that doesn't travel and even Clemson couldn't carry the load themselves in Charlotte. Same went for those awful VT/BC games where one team is a 12 hour drive away and the other is like 18 (not that BC travels).

I had to look this up because I didn't think that game could have lower attendance than this game in Jax but holy poo poo.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

I read some story about a high school offensive lineman with no hands and the only thought I had was "Finally a guy who can't get stupid holding calls"

When I was in HS there was Dlineman from either Beaufort or Battery Creek that only had one leg. He played nose guard or something and would just level the center of the line. He was pretty good but had trouble getting downfield so his teammates would half-carry him. It was pretty cool.

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Dec 3, 2016

• Locked thread