Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mistakinder
Mar 19, 2010

YES
Conor is a mixed martial artist and Floyd is a boxer. It is unreasonable for either man to fight the other on their terms. I propose that Dana gets cracking on a special TUF Coaches Challenge as a compromise, they could play each other at tennis or off-road buggy racing or maybe paintball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mistakinder
Mar 19, 2010

YES
The only reason Rebney was free to take on this union/association/social club leadership role was because he got sacked for attempting to be Dana White and being too poo poo at it. If that hadn't have happened he would probably be in court right now trying to keep Will Brooks in Bellator.

Is this like the batman philosophy where to defeat the darkness you have to hire it to run your union?

mistakinder
Mar 19, 2010

YES

What about the odds of the fight ever actually happening? Probably too many numbers to fit in a twitter post.

mistakinder
Mar 19, 2010

YES

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

I never thought they'd put James Toney in the UFC either though.

They kind of did it in the most humiliating possible way for Toney/Boxing in general. Put him in there with a similarly aged guy so casuals think it's a fair fight, and have that guy be well known for strategy and discipline and making fights ugly. It's almost the exact opposite of sending the biggest star in the UFC to go look like an idiot for 3 rounds, gas horribly and become the rarest thing in pro boxing - the victim of a Mayweather KO/TKO.

Conor won't care as he will make a shitload of money, but unless the UFC get at least as much money themselves there's not a lot for them to gain from this.

mistakinder
Mar 19, 2010

YES
So Aldo is basically everyones favourite stadium rocker from the 90's who got into jazz and strange time signatures in the 00's and although you respect the craft and technical ability you'd rather just throw on his old poo poo and have a party instead

mistakinder
Mar 19, 2010

YES
Sorry if this was brought up before but that MMAAA thing made me think

When the idea of GSP fighting middleweights came up it was always said that he was undersized. He is exactly the same size as Tim Kennedy in that photo so does that mean Tim is undersized for middleweight too?

mistakinder
Mar 19, 2010

YES

fatherdog posted:

You are not understanding the effects of foreshortening. (Hint: Bjorn Rebney is not actually larger than Cain Velasquez)

He's also not right next to him in a near identical pose. If he was I would expect the difference to be more pronounced.

Ps Bjorn Rebney is 6'3" and Cain is 6'1" and suffering from chronic AKA which affects his posture.

mistakinder
Mar 19, 2010

YES
From Wikipedia "Charles "Charlie" Brenneman (born February 9, 1981) is a Former American mixed martial artist"

He got put through the wringer so much they even took his nationality away from him.

mistakinder
Mar 19, 2010

YES
Crackhead Dominick Cruz did better than I expected against Mighty Mouse

mistakinder
Mar 19, 2010

YES

FishBowlRobot posted:

I'd need to listen again but I got the impression from his wording that Jones seemed much more concerned with the legal consequences of his actions than the wellbeing of the hit and run victim(s).

Yeah to paraphrase "when I heard later that it was a pregnant woman I thought oh no I'm really in trouble now. I could go to jail for a long time. Also, er, my mum is a woman and so are my three daughters, so obviously I have a lot of respect for women. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to do some highly experimental surgery that will guarantee me the son that God denied me"

mistakinder
Mar 19, 2010

YES

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I made the mistake of watching the last 5 minutes of that fight companion podcast out of curiosity and hoooooly gently caress I think Eddie Bravo might be the most retarded guy alive :psyduck:

e]"God is testing me and will give me a son when I'm mature enough" 5 minutes later, "gently caress it I'll just get the surgery"

He must have really been on form if he stood out with the fighter and the kid in the same room

mistakinder
Mar 19, 2010

YES

Josuke Higashikata posted:

They talked about some sperm treatment of sorts that someone had that supposedly made it so he'd only have boy swimmers or whatever. I don't think Jones was genuine about having it done. It's probably just some YouTube poo poo Rogan watched one day and believes in.

Could have sworn Jones was the one who brought it up on his own and Joe was skeptical about the claims. And if anyone knows bullshit when he smells it, it's Joe Onnit Bulletproof Coffee Cryotherapy Hemp Car Rogan.

mistakinder
Mar 19, 2010

YES
What got me with that whole "I'll only get a male when God thinks I'm mature enough" line is it infers raising the three daughters he currently has can be done by any old philandering, car crashing, drug taking dipshit but raising a boy is serious business.

mistakinder
Mar 19, 2010

YES
H'ok jon jones you could at least separate your plastic and non-recyclables

mistakinder
Mar 19, 2010

YES
He dodged a bullet anyway. All that work and all Joe B has to show for it is a third opportunity to get the poo poo kicked out of him by The Twitch King.

mistakinder
Mar 19, 2010

YES
Protect yourself at all times, obey my instructions at all times and for fucks sake dont put your toes in the fence. touch gloves lets do this

mistakinder
Mar 19, 2010

YES
Easiest solution for eyepokes and ball kicks, intentional or not would be a point deduction for every infraction. Might hamper those people who's entire game hinges on a load of inside leg kicks and/or gaguing distance with their outstretched palms but gently caress em. The rate of these things happening would instantly go down and we will discover the true root of the problem, lack of discipline or exploitation of poorly enforced rules.

mistakinder
Mar 19, 2010

YES

Chris James 2 posted:

Jon Jones is never winning another fight

The way he is going lately, you could change that to every eyepoke you successfully land deducts a point from your opponent and this would still be true.

mistakinder
Mar 19, 2010

YES
That may be, but unlike Jon he knows how to not get busted. Speaking of which, is the venue far enough from Jons house that he may have to drive? I remember the UFC footing the bill for Ubers and whatnot but I don't know how tight a ship Chael P Sonnen is running over at Submission Underground.

mistakinder
Mar 19, 2010

YES
I can imagine the kids crowding round for the Cowboy-Schilling gym wars soaking up all the wisdom for their pro careers.

Ok, between rounds have a budweiser or at the very least one or two marlboro reds. Got it.

mistakinder
Mar 19, 2010

YES
Dana was on ufc unfiltered and he says they offered Cyborg two 145 title fights, the first was turned down because she couldn't make the weight on 8 weeks notice and the second was turned down for less clear reasons. Now I know Dana considers the truth to be optional most of the time but it seems like a weird thing to lie about. The only thing I can think of is she is holding out for that elusive Ronda fight.

mistakinder
Mar 19, 2010

YES
He also addressed the Conor thing saying he said he was going to have to give up one of the belts way in advance which I guess he did, don't really have a problem with that bit tbh.

Still doesn't change the fact that they used dark magic to create an interim belt when Aldo seems pretty healthy and able to fight Anthony or Max right away.

mistakinder
Mar 19, 2010

YES

Dan Didio posted:

I'm going to say that the reasons they were turned down was that the UFC found someone who wasn't a: homeless vagrant woman, a soccer mum that weighs 125lbs soaking wet or Holly Holm, but she's not allowed to kick because of an old, undiscovered rule in the Brazilian commision's rulebook.

You're actually on the money there. First one was Holly and the second one was De Randamie so yeah no hobos or soccer moms.

mistakinder
Mar 19, 2010

YES
Frankie also has the record for holding a belt 3 weight classes above his ideal fighting weight, if he did it the other way around like conor he might have ended up being a dominant flyweight/bantamweight double belt holder instead of nearly being beaten to death every first round of a lightweight title fight

mistakinder
Mar 19, 2010

YES
Dana responded on unfiltered to that, something along the lines of Bjork paid 50% of bellators money to the fighters because it's real easy to give 50% of nothing. Throw a few f-bombs in there if you want the authentic version.

mistakinder
Mar 19, 2010

YES
Cyborg is spamming on twitter about the reasons she turned these 145 fights down whilst forgetting the reason Dana revealed that poo poo in the first place. She said if she doesn't get a 145 division in the UFC she's leaving, which indicated the UFC had shown no interest whatsover in putting one together when it clearly had - twice.

She looked at a beehive that was a few weeks away from giving lots of free honey and decided the wisest thing to do would be to give it a big old chute boxe kick.

mistakinder
Mar 19, 2010

YES
You're right we should give her the same leeway we give Jon Jones for his poor decision making skills and lack of accountability.

mistakinder
Mar 19, 2010

YES
Who shall I get rid of first, George Lockhart or this publicist who seems to think twitter is a url shortening service for facebook posts? Sorry George you gotta go mate

mistakinder
Mar 19, 2010

YES
I'm going to keep it real and continue to live in the shithole I grew up in but park a load of luxury cars out front. What could go wrong?

mistakinder
Mar 19, 2010

YES
If it was organised crime they would obviously hit him where it really hurts and hide his male grooming kit

mistakinder
Mar 19, 2010

YES
Who better to sum up why a fighters union will never happen than key founding member of the MMAAA, Cowboy Cerone

"There were a couple of people that were there that I don’t plan on working with and being a part of, not mentioning any names. I was there mostly just, not saying I’m leading a board or I’m sitting on a board, but more voicing my opinion of what this sport needs"

What do we want? Rights for fighters! When do we want them? When some other fucker deals with it for us I guess

mistakinder
Mar 19, 2010

YES
I counted 6 people in the MMAAA. If Cowboy doesn't want anything to do with 15-33% of that 6, what hope do they have of scaling that poo poo up to a proper union?

mistakinder
Mar 19, 2010

YES
It's a familiar pattern to both concerned though. Cowboy takes a short notice fight 8 weightclasses up then says some dumb poo poo to the press that Dana doesn't like. He's simultaneously everything Dana loves and hates in fighters in one package, but he doesn't cost anywhere near what Conor is charging so he probably likes him even more.

mistakinder
Mar 19, 2010

YES

I don't know enough about basketball to know if it's real or one of those twitter jokes. Is it real?

mistakinder
Mar 19, 2010

YES
There's power in a union. Unless you're Cowboy and you don't understand why it's called a union in the first place.

http://mmajunkie.com/2016/12/ufc-206s-donald-cerrone-accepts-dana-whites-criticism-they-were-true-facts

mistakinder
Mar 19, 2010

YES

lol

Well the good thing about pissing money away like that is the neighbourhood ruffians are less likely to bother vandalising a second-hand Prius.

mistakinder
Mar 19, 2010

YES

Amazing. Any video of the strut anywhere?

mistakinder
Mar 19, 2010

YES

To be fair, Travis had a lot more notice to prepare for his title shot.

Until Daniel Cormier did what Daniel Cormier does, Pettis was merely preparing for a shot at being on a really long list of people Conor McGregor will never fight.

mistakinder
Mar 19, 2010

YES
I dunno, this is like MMA striking all over again. If he tried to pull that poo poo at the Olympics the Romanian judge would give him 4.6 for such an awful landing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mistakinder
Mar 19, 2010

YES
michael "the voice" schiavello

Nothing will help you appreciate "and it is all over" quite like "goodnight irene"

• Locked thread