Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Slow_Moe posted:

Ben doesn't know where the bodies are buried.

He never saw anything.

:lesnick: is a large part of the reason they raised so much money, because he came up with the ship ideas. I can think he's a horrible individual with numerous problems while still crediting him with deceiving idiots. He knows there's nothing there, him saying that would damage them more than anything else except them actually releasing 3.0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
Hello fellow goons, it's me, reddit molequiet thread lurker. How about that local sports team?

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's friday, and it's time for AT...
Wait no! It's time for Progress Watch. CIG has kicked in the second gear, and gave us the schedule update AND around the verse early this week. What's happening?!
This week's Progress Watch marks the official end of the Global Schedule. After many weeks of being frozen in the coldest ice, it's finally been removed from the production schedule. That means for us that it has transitionned into the archives and won't be updated anymore.
3.0.0 Progress Watch
With this week's schedule, we can finally see how the bugs and tasks counts are evolving. And the answer is : in the wrong direction! Almost all bugs and tasks counts are going up, with 25 total additionnal bugs to fix and 35 total additionnal tasks to complete. This may or may not be related with the intense Evocati activity that has been mentionned by Sean Tracy in yesterday's stream.
Only the Traversal tasks are going down, with 7 fewer tasks down to 15, which can probably be explained by the fact that it was the first feature tested by Evocatis, and therefore the most finalized.
Anyway, let's hope everything reverses back into the right direction next week.
Now let's see some highlights of what CIG's been doing during this week :
Audited all the shop inventories to make sure every item was spawning correctly and has the correct corresponding information, logo, etc. We added several missing items and fixed a few minor localization issues as well. Lastly, we got our latest iteration on the pricing for all the commodities implemented.
Created splash screens for the commodity kiosks.
Completed the final batch of animations that were required to fully support the “Mission Brief” dialogue that Eckhart can support.
Updated animations for the Gladiator were delivered and we’re now well on our way to finishing setup on that ship by the end of the week.
UI art have created a mockup for the layout of the Starmap on the radar within a cockpit so the Ship Art and Tech Design teams know what is required on their side to ensure that all ships are set up with this for 3.0.
Art are finishing their last ship bed changes and animation have started their pass of all ships.
Second stage Afterburner is currently being rebalanced.
The work for atmospheric flight has been outlined by the design team and approved by the directors.
Engineering is working on finalizing the way that AI determines when players get interrupted while they’re in quantum travel. That math is just bonkers
While active development has not started on the Vehicle Manager App just yet, the tasks required from both UI and Game Code to close this feature out have been identified prioritized.
In addition to the “in range update” optimizations of last week, the team made sure that the physics of ships is only updated when in proper range.
And... that's it! Since there is no more Global Schedule, the Progress Watch ends here. But let's be honest, given where it was going, that's not a big loss.
See you all next week!

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

VictorianQueerLit posted:

My favorite Ben moment was when Accelerwrath started sending unsolicited dick pics to female members of the community and when Goons raised a stink about it Ben banned the victim and a bunch of Goons while having a public meltdown about Goons.

The icing on that cake was that backers have turned this into a heroic moment where Cloud Imperium Gaming officially condemned an organization of trolls and resoundingly announced that their poo poo wasn't going to pursue the refugees from EVE Online to Star Citizen.

Basically this old post

Just where he says "The goons attempted to use SJW mechanisms to accuse CIG of sexism" add in "Because a concierge backer, the guy who has apparently done security for citcon since then, was sexually harassing female members of the community and Ben banned the victims and called out the people bringing attention to it."
but do you really want women in your space game? when you think about it, they are doing the community a favor by being such huge pieces of poo poo

IcarusUpHigh
Dec 20, 2016

https://clips.twitch.tv/SpotlessCredulousQueleaCclamChamp

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/7c29h9/turning_on_the_lights_outpost_component_gameplay/

I've lost the will to live.

Put a component in a component. OK.
Now turn all the dynamic lights in the level from false to true. OK.

This is somehow considered impressive, and the hosts and fans boast about it in the video and in the comments.

Game is 6 years into development.

Help.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Quoting this with a 4 month old Account :10bux:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

SCtrumpHaters posted:

With this week's schedule, we can finally see how the bugs and tasks counts are evolving. And the answer is : in the wrong direction! Almost all bugs and tasks counts are going up, with 25 total additionnal bugs to fix and 35 total additionnal tasks to complete. This may or may not be related with the intense Evocati activity that has been mentionned by Sean Tracy in yesterday's stream.
Only the Traversal tasks are going down, with 7 fewer tasks down to 15, which can probably be explained by the fact that it was the first feature tested by Evocatis, and therefore the most finalized.
Anyway, let's hope everything reverses back into the right direction next week.

The best part of this is that not one single backer or anyone paying money to CIG even cares that right before the biggest sale of the year the bug tracker magically went down to 0 and now weeks later has mysteriously started showing that things aren't even remotely complete.

Surely the easiest explanation is to come up with some mental gymnastics about how the evocati didn't have time to discover the bugs yet or something. The logical conclusion that with millions of dollars on the line they straight up lied about the state of their product is just ridiculous. (Company) wouldn't misrepresent (Product) for money! They love me!

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
"Intense Evocati activity" lmao

"UI art" is one guy in Wimslow

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I bet you loved Ready Player One.

I've never actually read it myself, only one or two excerpts posted here mocking it, but even listening to the discussion of it on the 'I don't even own a television' podcast (which does reviews of lovely books) made me want to give the author a swirly until he drowned.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

The best part of this is that not one single backer or anyone paying money to CIG even cares that right before the biggest sale of the year the bug tracker magically went down to 0 and now weeks later has mysteriously started showing that things aren't even remotely complete.

Surely the easiest explanation is to come up with some mental gymnastics about how the evocati didn't have time to discover the bugs yet or something. The logical conclusion that with millions of dollars on the line they straight up lied about the state of their product is just ridiculous. (Company) wouldn't misrepresent (Product) for money! They love me!

Everything they put out is designed to sell ships. If CIG publish something, be it a video, a patch list, a forum post or a tweet, it is designed to do one thing only, to sell ships.

The bug tracking is exactly the same, obviously and proveably so.

Hmm I wonder if Ben wasn't meeting his quota of ship sales

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

IcarusUpHigh posted:

https://clips.twitch.tv/SpotlessCredulousQueleaCclamChamp

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/7c29h9/turning_on_the_lights_outpost_component_gameplay/

I've lost the will to live.

Put a component in a component. OK.
Now turn all the dynamic lights in the level from false to true. OK.

This is somehow considered impressive, and the hosts and fans boast about it in the video and in the comments.

Game is 6 years into development.

Help.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

if i was the type of person who collected mugs i would want this

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

poo poo like this legit rustles my jimmies. Like how dare you.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

I'm not defending Derek, I'm the first one to make fun of him, but I've talked about this in the past and I think what he said was accurate at the time.

:siren::siren:Now I will channel Derek:siren::siren:

This is all rambling speculation though about what went on behind the scenes. I've formed my opinion by passively watching this shitshow for a few years now and am taking into account things like CIGs own marketing, their tweets, their ATVs and interviews. Also things like the leaks and this threads analysis at every decision and action they take.

My theory is this:

Due to CIG constantly promising things and being unable to deliver I think Chris Roberts around December 2015 was certain of a early to mid two year late 2016 release for Squadron 42 which is where the real money is at. Since he has talked in interviews about expecting ridiculously impossible numbers of sales for it to the tune of a quarter billion dollars it's reasonable to make that the focus of your company if you are a big enough lunatic to think it's going to be that profitable.

Leading up to that was a nonstop barrage of videos about motion capture for Squadron 42 and the actors. Slides about the amazing script. Leaks about all the work going into it and how much work there was actually to do on Squadron 42. All Chris ever wanted to talk about was Squadron 42. Answer the call.

So in early 2016 we did get a few new patches to the PU. These patches started getting less and less substantial from 2.1. Eventually they were slight modifications anyone that has ever modded a game would instantly recognize. Adjusting values of things.

Then the maintenance mode thing comes up here in March. Not necessarily whatever the official terminology for a "maintenance mode" on a piece of software would be but that the PU was only being worked on to keep up appearances. All focus and resources were going to Squadron 42 but the PU is what cultists have paid for.

As 2016 started progressing you started having longer and longer time for even more and more insignificant patches. After about 6-7 months the maintenance mode and reduced consideration for the PU was proven to be exactly correct since it started taking multiple months to get slight tweaks to flight speed or camera movement. 2.5 in August was virtually identical to 2.0 from December of the previous year. I'm sure cultists would point at the hilarious patch notes or compile huge lists of how adjusting the ammunition in a gun or the top speed of something totally disproves my point but if you aren't a crazy idiot arguing for a belief you can see the actual changes from 2.0 -> 2.5 which were the definition of treading water or "maintenance mode."

Meanwhile you still saw Mark Hamill and Squadron 42 actors tweeting about their still ongoing motion capture up until July of that year.

Gamescom comes around and you have an obvious and proven fake scripted demo in cryeditor.exe to make even more money. Money flows in. Citcon rolls around and in addition to another obvious and proven fake scripted demo in cryeditor.exe you have Squadron 42's appearance cancelled for unexplained reasons. The Leaks had been progressively mentioning a reduced scope in Squadron 42 which was to try and get out "The Prelude." A smaller and cut up version of Squadron 42s content to try and sell it.

After that the holiday sale rolls around and CIG manages to poo poo out Star Marine.

Once 2017 hit Squadron 42 isn't being talked about much anymore. Work probably progressed on it or The Prelude until early this year and at some point the idea had to have been abandoned. I tend to think that all the leaks about how ridiculous the animation data was were correct. Especially when you consider the slides putting this at 10x the speaking roles of actual studio releases of animated films. Chris Roberts had wanted to make a movie and had generated 90% footage and 10% gameplay with most of his budget and the footage was largely worthless due to the work required to turn tens of millions of dollars of motion capture data into anything resembling a game with a narrative that he could sell for $60.

Leaks turned to Squadron 42 being combined with the persistent universe. All outward focus from CIG switches to 3.0 and delivering something that resembles the fake demos they sold last year.

I think they have shifted along this path

- Planning to develop both games simultaneously with 4 studios
(time passes)
- Already past their release date with tens of millions in Squadron 42, complete focus on finish it (Maintenance Mode PU)
(time passes)
- Unable to deal with the hilarious clusterfuck Chris Roberts filmed, scope is reduced and a smaller step will be taken toward Squadron 42, further forgetting the PU (Prelude, A year without patches)
(time passes)
- Development of anything to do with petabytes of mocap footage becomes so expensive that the forgotten PU is now front and center to make money (Fake Demos late 2016)
(a lot of time passes)
- Once the main 2017 sales start getting closer CIG starts producing more fake demos but is now apparently struggling to develop something that actually resembles them. (3.0) Work has obviously just started on it sometime recently but they are running with it 100% and are no longer talking about Squadron 42. Due to almost bankrupting the company on Squadron 42 for years their last resort is a broken tech demo they had largely been ignoring. It's all they have and that leads us to now where they are frantically trying to cram more features into an ancient engine they should have never used in the first place.

It's a shame that we have to speculate so much about what is actually happening at THE WORLD'S MOST OPEN GAME DEVELOPMENT STUDIO. I'm pretty confident about that chain of events and if I was as crazy as Derek i would probably look up all the supporting tweets and information for each step but I don't care enough to spend an eternity digging through endless amounts of bullshit to highlight my points.

I was mostly hoping to trigger Derek into a pedantic meltdown, but this is a pretty good post.

Some poo poo from memory:

Pretty sure Chris talked about the "SQ42 prelude" a bunch of times before cancelling it entirely in "The road to citizencon" video, it wasn't just from leaks.

The first few major patches felt like maintenance mode, but that's ignoring just how broken and unplayable 2.0 was. They appear to have been developing it into an MVP ever since.

I remember a press release from some company at the Imaginarium shoot, detailing the monumental challenge of exporting several months of hollywood style mocap into a 3d modeling program (not cryengine) I think making comprehensible naming conventions was the main challenge. I wish I could still find this.

Brain Chambers admitted they had to make 3.0 after a developer made a demo of it by himself on a whim, and Chris showed it out of desperation before releasing the broken 2.0.

Most of the leaks post 2016 have been educated guesses, and Ben wasn't fired you idiots. Though he hasn't worn his trademark Wing Commander: The Movie cross in several months. (he wore it at his wedding)

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
Someone on RSI unironically saying chris should step down

quote:

Since it is a funded game by us the backers, maybe we could get a independant person involved?
CR could take a step back, and this new person could be the new boss, swing the hammer more, make sure its run properly?
They will make sure the money is well spent and not let these silly feature creeps hold back a release by years.

With this sort of money involved i think that is what is needed, basically a more boss type manager and to keep an eye on the raised funds etc.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/11-9-17-new-burndown-not-looking-good-for-ptu-rele

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

That's a new ship in the image, isn't it.

But does it punch above its weight ?

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Combat Theory posted:

Quoting this with a 4 month old Account :10bux:

I guess I should finally admit it. I tend to not troll anyone.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

aleksendr posted:

But does it punch above its weight ?

Of course it does. You could even call it game changing.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

But I thought Mr. Smoothbrain was neutral in all this? Something tells me that young man is not telling the truth.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

dr slut
Jan 26, 2003

SCtrumpHaters posted:

Burndown update

10 bugs more on cargo from last week
11 bugs 15 task more on missions from last week
16 more tasks on ships from last week
4 less tasks on traversal from last week
6 more tasks on mobiglas from last week
6 less tasks on performance & Stability from last week

Sounds like 60 players is plausible, some big breakthroughs here

I wonder why they didn't bother to include the chart in this weeks burndown? Oh wait, yeah I do, a perfectly flat trendline:

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

I guess Beet got tired of his plaything and now Fandred has nothing to do but park himself all day long on reddit. loving EL OH loving EL!!!

:laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

AP posted:

The thing I've always found funny about :lesnick: is that based on his Twitter account you can tell he has zero, none, absolutely nil, interest in Star Citizen, instead it's all poo poo like Wing Commander from when he was a kid.

I like to think this is because he's always known Star Citizen is bollocks because he invented most of the ships and if you take the ships, and the text paragraph of fluff devoted to each, away, there's nothing left.

I can't think of any better fitting end for :lesnick: than getting fired because his idol's wife can't stand him and developers on two continents (young and inexperienced though they may be) detest him.

I️ don’t care to research him any, but from what people post here, I’ve noticed the same. I️ almost think that he doesn’t actually like Star Citizen because it’s not Wing Commander. It’s like some rip off like Freespace to him. I️ would not be surprised if he hopes Roberts fails because he wants his glory of Wing Commander to be the best thing CR ever did. He can’t have another opus that’s not Wing Commander.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Toops posted:

I'm behind by 4 pages so may be beaten, but I don't think anyone knows if Lumberyard's network arch will support MMO-scale, but I assume it can't without modification. And I don't know of any games that have proven GridMate works well in practice. But when I read about it, I thought the theory was sound.

According to Derek, nobody has yet. Nobody has even developed a game on Lumberyard period yet apparently either, MMO or otherwise.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

The Titanic posted:

This is my opinion too, without the logical resources. :)

Though I️ always find it funny that in reality, Star Citizen hasn’t begun development yet because of this very real fact.

Chris Roberts doesn’t want to admit that he can’t streamline communication over the internet with college kids the likes of which the world has never seen (because apparently nobody has tried to do it yet, haha).

He so, so desperately wants to be able to take his arena shooter type game and set max players = 9999999942 and it just works because of his sheer will and 1990’s creative programming abilities.

But it can’t, and it won’t. And they keep throwing more and more stuff at this game which is not an mmo that it’s funny.

There is no birthday for Star Citizen. As far as it’s concerned programmatically, Star Citizen doesn’t exist yet.

I️ never stop finding this funny, because it’s like kicking a can down the road, pretending on the next kick it might turn into a Corvette. But it can’t because this is the real loving world, and no matter how much you hope and dream, your will alone isn’t going to break the rules of reality.

And touting “because nobody tried before” is pretty much the dumbest loving thing to say in computer programming.

Precisely. And that's why 3.0 is such an unmitigated disaster of epic proportions.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

AP posted:

I can't think of any better fitting end for :lesnick: than getting fired because his idol's wife can't stand him and developers on two continents (young and inexperienced though they may be) detest him.

If this turns out to be true I bet they let him keep some kind of honorary title (unpaid) with the company.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

dr slut posted:

I wonder why they didn't bother to include the chart in this weeks burndown? Oh wait, yeah I do, a perfectly flat trendline:

How the gently caress does that happen?

Wheres the bamboozled guy? Tell me this isn't rampant incompetence and maliciousness

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.

:drat:

I dunno if I prefer Star Citizen: It's a privilege and a blessing and I'm grateful for it.

or

Star Citizen: For the privilege of giving Chris our money

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

AP posted:

Getting rid of :lesnick: is complicated by, him knowing where the bodies are buried and his wife working there.

Losing him, and her, over the Christmas holidays would make more sense to me, but anything is possible.

If you recall, I reported awhile ago, around the time of his website showing up, that they had shoved him to the background. I don't know what the reason would be to now terminate him completely though. Unless they can no longer justify his paycheck. I mean, they didn't terminate him when it was discovered that he was a toxic, racist, homophobic, antisemitic rear end-clown. So. :colbert:

This is one fucker I would like to see squirm in a deposition.

----------------

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Eldragon posted:

I am continually amused at the amount of stuff goons get blamed for, and the :tinfoil: accusations of power over SC.

"Trust me guys, I'm an expert on goons. I paid :10bux: to read 6000 pages of cat pictures and have determined goons no longer have any power. I stopped them!"

I’m glad this guy stopped me, personally. I️ was moments away from launching the Final ELE Blog Foxtrot Gecko, but my hand has been stated to the wisdom and comprehensive knowledge of this guy.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Breetai posted:

I've never actually read it myself, only one or two excerpts posted here mocking it, but even listening to the discussion of it on the 'I don't even own a television' podcast (which does reviews of lovely books) made me want to give the author a swirly until he drowned.

Mike Nelson from MST3K and Rifftrax did a whole podcast series with his Rifftrax pal Conor Lastowka on the festering shitpile that is Ready Player One. I got through all eight episodes on a trip up to see my parents, and got a lot of joy out of hearing them hate the whole experience of reading it.

http://372pages.com/ for anyone looking for a short series all about schadenfreude and bad writing.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Sorry for the weird character. Apparently I’m getting caught by this weird iPhone problem with the letter I defaulting to some kind of emoticon for no reason.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

:allears:

----------------

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

dr slut posted:

I guarantee some of those were caused by Mark Abent's awesome kickass changes he made to the netcode in Bugsmashers that wasn't a hack in any way shape or form.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

dr slut posted:

I for one would like to know what kind of QA process they are using where major bugs pop up out of no where as they are burning down to a release. This should all be bug verification and regression and if your regression is causing your bug count to more than double, then something is extremely wrong with one of your processes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Toops posted:

I'm behind by 4 pages so may be beaten, but I don't think anyone knows if Lumberyard's network arch will support MMO-scale, but I assume it can't without modification. And I don't know of any games that have proven GridMate works well in practice. But when I read about it, I thought the theory was sound.

Wait for the page where I wrote a whole book about it earlier today. :laffo:

----------------