Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
I can't understand the level of cognitive dissonance required for Shitizens to look at what is currently playable of Star Marine (an FPS game) and think that Squadron 42 (an FPS game) can be anywhere near complete, as CIG claim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
Feeback?

Even the community managers are subtly hinting to people that they should get refunds!

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
All these apologists for CIG's ship sales and how they need them to raise money...

Do you think it'll ever occur to them that if CIG just concentrated all their efforts on making the game, that might generate more income?

I can sympathise with CIG to a certain extent. I know when I'm making a game, I always make all the graphics first (and I'm no artist) because using placeholder art takes me out of my "game" and I never finish it.

Oh Jesus, I've just realised... I'm Chris Roberts.

:suicide:

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
ben would have done this but he can't take a camera on his person in most elevators without tripping the weight limit

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

Sabreseven posted:

S-Com : Terror from the tweet.

:)

Citizen-Com: Terror from the Derp.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
IT'S... THE WALL OF CROBBLER!

(thanks SirPenguin for the gif, although I squared it up)

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
Just seen Lethality's tweet about player-built stations supposedly coming in 3.0 or soon after.

They can never allow players to build their own stations, not only because the 100 1 systems that they have in the game would get filled up quicker than Ben's stomach, but because the dedicated citizens of the 'verse would make stations that are a gazillion times better than anything CIG have come out with - and probably a gazillion times quicker too.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I think it's fair to say they're not worried about that eventuality anyway, because if it's anything like the rest of their work the entire system will get "implemented" and attempting to put one part against another will cause the entire structure to begin wildly vibrating before launching off in a random direction, killing the player regardless of where they were floating at the time.

Perhaps CIG can be pioneers of stations that turn into giant cannons that fire players like a rocket into the sun.

The player would, of course, survive the trip and be forced to live on the sun. Making them a literal star citizen.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
Jesus. Reading through this, and there are a metric fuckton of parallels between Ion Storm and CIG.

This quote is talking about what happened when the team at Ion walked out thanks to all of the broken promises being made by the bosses, the lack of direction, the constant need to have to do everything again, and suddenly being told that you needed to get a multiplayer demo going in time for a show when that show is only a few months away and there's barely a game, let alone a multiplayer game...

quote:

The marketing group at Eidos quickly sprung into action to spin the story in a positive light. Romero posted in his online plan file available to online gamers that the team left "at an opportune time. Most of the levels are in a final state [and] much of the coding has been completed."

What was it CIG said about most of the missions for Squidman 42 being done? And then all the "code complete" bollocks in the "release schedule" for SC.

quote:

After regrouping over Christmas, Ion Storm proudly announced on January 5, 1999, that the switch to the Quake 2 engine was complete. The engine switch was supposed to take a few weeks but ended up taking close to a year.

'nuff said.

GazChap fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 20, 2017

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

That Daikatana article posted:

"As a company, we weren't even allowing ourselves a two-week QA cycle [before the show]," he says. As a result, "the day before E3, a handful of employees took it upon themselves to modify and recompile the level data," explains Klie. Unfortunately, the new levels weren't correctly recompiled, and the E3 build shipped to Los Angeles featured maps that would run at only 10 or 12 frames per second on the fastest PC.

The more I read of this, the more I think that Chris Roberts' plan all along was to try and remake Daikatana.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
I've seen that GIF of Croberts flapping his hands around and wibbling them about for bloody ages, but have never had any context as to what the hell he was actually supposed to be explaining.

Haylp?

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
Funniest thing for me about the serialised variable bollocks is that it was a loving stretch goal.

Any competent devs would know that they would basically need to implement some sort of serialisation in an online game, so it shouldn't even be a separate thing, let alone a stretch goal that people have pledged money specifically for.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

Daztek posted:

and the best part

Star Citizen: layer in the fidelity over time

Gah. Will's my old college buddy I've referenced here before - I'd always hoped he hadn't been infected by Crobblers fidelibollocks but looks like my hopes have been dashed.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

kw0134 posted:

If there is a default and the bank demands to see the books, you can literally go from a Friday AtV video saying everything is okay to doors padlocked on Monday and the employees locked out.
There's precedence for this here in the UK too - this exact thing (well, except the video bit, it was the 80s!) happened to Imagine software, and also Ocean I think as well!

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

Bubbacub posted:

Yeah, I thought it was particularly sleazy how he tried to cast the UK government as the less stable party
Well, hilariously, he's not hugely wrong at the moment ;)

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

benzine posted:

Shame he can't suck his own dick
The stretch goal to end them all.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
Their motion capture is really coming along well.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
If CIG were writing the code for the Apollo missions, not only would we have never made it to the moon but every single one of the Apollo missions would have ended with the rocket comically spazzing out before leaving our atmosphere, ejecting all of their occupants (all of whom would have lost all of their clothes and would be inexplicably ejecting jets of air from various orifices not designed to eject air) and would then explode just before hitting space.

They'd get to the moon eventually though, but only after NASA invent a method of jumping instantaneously from one point in space-time to another.

And then they wouldn't be able to get any further because they'd realise that CIG had written the code for the doors too and they're now locked in a spacecraft on the Moon with no way to escape.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

Tippis posted:

Wasn't there some British studio back in the '80s/'90s that had that happen to them while a documentary team was shooting for their feature on this new, up-and-coming industry and its star players?
Yeah, Imagine. Employees turned up one morning (with camera crew in tow) to find all of the doors locked.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
Amazing stuff. Carry On Up The Crobbler.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

Combat Theory posted:

you dont need Bug Reports even

just look at this hot piece of 3.0 Live Goodness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB1q1nuCbYY

That's a loving hot mess. The FPS is so bad I legit thought my router had packed in and was making the video buffer too badly.

And as for that HUD... I thought Elite's was complicated, but that's just outrageous. How the hell are you supposed to use that?

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

A Neurotic Corncob posted:

act now on this rare opportunity to give us 350 bucks for nothing.
"Sol Sytem"

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Ben Lesnick, Burger Devourer
Fixed.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
I never thought I’d say this, but reading through the transcripts from SomethingJones makes me think that, actually, America might be better off if Crobbler was their President, and Donald was head of CIG.

If nothing else, Donald seems to share the backers’ views about females.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

Thom12255 posted:

I'm really looking forward to Star Citizen 2.
Star Citizen 2: Glitch Harder.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
Posted by a friend of mine:

quote:

Looking back, last time I tried this was about 3 years ago... I'll download it again and see what's up!
Followed up shortly afterwards with...

quote:

Star citizen. 2 minutes in and I turned it off in disgust. £200m seems to have been spent on making choosing how to invert your Y axis as complicated as possible.

There isn't an invert Y button, there are literally 50+ different toggles for inversion of everything, across all possible concurrent control schemes (mouse, joystick, keyboard, gamepad). Each of them is a compounded tree where you can select inversion for FPS mode, flight mode, hangar mode, turret mode, ground vehicle mode, free look mode, walking mode and some other modes. Select inversion for any of those modes and it inverts everything. X axis too... So you have to drill down into each and invert the Y axis for each mode individually, but it's not called Y axis, it's called pitch, or view, or something else dependent on the mode you are in. And you have to repeat the same exercise for each control method.
So I did all that, took ages, game crashed coming out of the control menu and starting it up again it has lost all the settings...
So I do it all again, get it setup right. Didn't crash this time! Start the game by going into my hangar... the x axis is inverted, even though I told it not to be...

Turned off the game and gave up, what a load of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

Amazing Zimmo posted:

We've had the SC roadmap update, here is the SQ42 roadmap update:

I can't help but think of Arnold Rimmer from Red Dwarf whenever I see these.

For those who aren't aware, Arnold Rimmer is a neurotic, narcissistic serial underachiever in the Space Corps, who has failed his astronavigation exam 11 times because he always spends 4 weeks designing the perfect revision chart/development roadmap, and leaves himself no time to actually revise/develop.