Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Scanning through, there's so much bad, so much bad.

-Klace clearly seems to be of the Quantity = Quality school of thought, guys - no. Classics are long not because it means good, but because they were paid by the loving word, or have a massive epic scope of decades to go through.

-There's no reason for Earth to exist at all

-Sparkledog Idol's brother comes off as functionally mentally disabled, and again - the fact he seems to be living in the limo and he finds out about Sparkledog's death indirectly paints a pretty depressing image of Klace being a shitheel who is legally obligated to take care of his slow brother, but dumps and locks him up in the limo when he's busy, relying on someone else giving enough of a poo poo about this guy.

-Why the hell are Singe and Jade talking about the murders like they're detectives, they're loving Idol Managers, not to mention the dull as molasses writing kills the very hamhanded attempt to make anyone care about Sir-not-in-the-game

-There is absolutely no consistency in the characters in names, dress, anything - though that can be blamed on the Kickstarter self-insert nature of everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Yea, I know I've seen at least one "It can't be helped", but yeah - I think the huge issue a fuckton of fan translations and more pandering official ones falls into two categories:

A. Insisting on the need to literally translate the words - no one addresses their older brother Chuck as "Big Bro Chuck" in english, and yet, they insist on trying to keep the honorifics they want to translate, so everyone comes off stiff. Then you have the issue of gags and jokes becoming incomprehensible because it is culture-specific, or rely on either homonyms or alternate kanji readings that don't exist in english - this is my biggest gripe with Touhou's translations - they literally translated all the puns as is so it looks like everyone's going off on their own tangents all the time.

B. The need to be "poetic" by abusing the thesaurus to find the most obscure or complicated word, I don't know - to sound "Smarter"?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Waffleman_ posted:

In type A, you'll also tend to see a good bit of the passive voice being overused.

There's also the special kind of translation that insists on having every character say "gently caress" in a comic for children God I'm glad I started reading the official translation of One Piece.

Or Kisama gets translated as "You Bastard!", even if it's in a children's anime about incompetent alien frogs. There's definitely a tendency to overuse vulgarity in some translation circles.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Zain posted:

Wait I though Yaro was "Bastard".... Isn't Kisama like jerks or something?

It's one of the more rude/hostile ways of "You" (Teme is worse, as it implies the person you're speaking to is on the same level as a dog), so most translators tacked a "Bastard" afterwards to try to convey the level of rudeness.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Not having a formal You/I does make translating some things from Japanese and other languages with such things harder, but yes - tone will make up for a lot of that.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Twine and it's variants are also a popular option for CYOA-style text games, though I've seen many that have added pictures, and do some pretty complicated things like making options disappear and appear depending on how long you wait.

As said - it's really astounding he picks one of the more unsuitable programs to make a VN

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I think that character's suppose to be a pony.

Is there a reason why everyone's dancing around the fact momma's dead? Because that's exceedingly assholish and cruel to do.

Why is everyone doing everything? I had the brief idea of spite rewriting this, but realize that means throwing everything out and writing something completely new.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

the sort of fart you really shouldn't have trusted.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

It's a vanity project - it's not fun to mock the incompetent project of an earnest amateur that tries, but it's a different ball game when the creator's a pompous egotist - it's hilarious.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

If Midnight Murders wasn't hint enough, this whole copycat and trying to piece together evidence was clearly trying to ape P4 without understanding why it's popular. Why are these loving idols, hobos and managers trying to solve this poo poo when they should be y'know, spending their time getting ready for tone-deaf concert.

And if it turns out we're suppose to side with Tiger Trump I'll eat my non-existent hat.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Omnom?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Yapping Eevee posted:

And here we see a typical kneejerk reaction. :v:

Although to be fair, being "community famous" and "talented" tends to make people assholes 99.9% of the time, regardless of what community you're talking about.

Pretty much, pick any "nerd" hobby - you end up having to pick two.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Pretty sure the answer to that is "When's the yaoi sex scene?"

Only it's on Steam, it won't allow sex scenes, I think the answer is "These loving idiots don't know Inherit the Earth exists"

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

So we got snotty tiger trump on one side, and King immortal gently caress up everything - where's the option to 'shoot them both'

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Night10194 posted:

Also note all the judging and hating as the worst thing ever keeps coming up. "Sure our king hosed up and shot everyone into the sun with the Solar Catapult, but don't you dare judge anyone! He meant well!"

Yea - this is a huge geek social fallacy and one furries are especially prone to fall into, because they don't wanna be "the bullies and bad guys just like the people that hurt them", it almost always ends up biting them in the rear end because it means it excusing abusive behavior and just outright foul personality traits in others because they don't want to be bullies.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

And it makes it sound like it's the only thing he did, now if it was "He build this tavern, a memorial, and otherwise supported people who lost their families" - it wouldn't be so weird, but as it is - it's tonedeaf.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

That or Klace is a moron who can't write children and didn't clarify these are literal child-characters to the artist or backers

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Let's not give this guy any cash - even if it's to mock him.

And what the hell is the plot even suppose to be - even other mediums where characters exist to dance to the plot's tune, you know what the loving song is. This is the equivalent of cat piano.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

It really depends on where you go, but I knew someone who was into the wolf / horse (Not anthro) rp, where there's a minimum word count per post, and to be literate, you have to never, ever use regular english words: it's orbs or optics for eyes, chortles, guffaws - never laugh or chuckle, without understanding those words have specific meanings besides "another way to say eyes".

Then there's places where that kind of thing will get you laughed out of the group because three paragraphs to describe your character's appearance is considered ridiculously vain.

Thank god Klace at least didn't fall into that trap, that poo poo was dense and unreadable.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Data Graham posted:

To be fair, this technique (when applied judiciously enough) can work out very well. J.K. Rowling's fortune can speak to the success of slapping in "goblets" for "glasses" and "robes" for "clothes" willy-nilly.

I mean it was more than a vocabulary swap for her, but not much more.

Yes this is true, but she understood what those words mean and imply, most of those wolf players pretty much open up thesaurus.com, put in a word, and pick whatever one sounds fancy.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Money is on he stole the idea from Undertale.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

It does scan like someone who only consumes awkwardly translated manga and light novels, all it's missing is an overly long descriptive title like "I can't believe my tokyo trip is also a cross-dimensional journey!"

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Feb 27, 2017

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Oxxidation posted:

Anyone in this thread who for some reason is interested in furries and existentialism being done well should check out Night in the Woods, it's pretty rad.

Also for something more relevant to the LP, when I first saw the screenshots I thought all the characters were just cribbed Deviantart assets or something. There's no visual congruity from design to design.

what happens when you kickstart with self-inserts and have no backbone to demand some consistency.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Yea, it's been mentioned, it's pretty telling Klace only consumes scanslations, RP logs, and Fan Fiction. What you read does heavily affect your writing style, especially if you only read type of thing.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

It's entirely to facilitate transformation fetish, that I think will suffice.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Inumi is child-like in a way that suggests Klace hasn't been around real children, but ends up coming off as Lenny-esque simple-mindedness, but having him in that fishnet top and bedroom eyes feels like he's suppose to be hawt and sexy, then add in that it's implied that he's literally living in the Limo and pretty much left all alone when everyone's playing or hawking lovely energy drinks.

Phidget has the same issue - very child-like personality with an adult body with a sexed up outfit - if you just read their dialogue, Inumi scans like he's 6 and Phidget about 8-9, but their art suggests adults (as much as you can tell with furries - but general same height and build of other implied adults), so it's like Klace expects the audience to leer at people who are severely mentally disabled.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Also it's kind of hypocritical to have Max to go on a huge rant about e-friends being fake, as I feel like we're suppose to be "Yea she's bad, but she got a point", but given the way she talks about Rook applies a lot to the kind of people that strokes Klace's ego.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Honestly the ME1 the choice was easy even if at the point I didn't care about Ashley, and disliked Kaiden (he comes off as such a creepy Nice Guy towards femshep if you're remotely nice to him) - Kaiden's with a bomb, Ashley is with a squad of Salarian soldiers - so it's save one, or save many.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

RA Rx posted:

How do you strangle someone who isn't breathing and doesn't have a pulse because time is stopped?

I suppose you can tie a rope or something tightly around their necks so they're instantly strangled once time resumes, and stop time to remove it once their dead?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

And he name checks the Takamagahara which he probably heard from BlazBlue. As if this game isn't confusing and ambling enough without borrowing from a serious notorious for an overwritten plot.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

And Klace benefited from a pretty shady scheme to game Greenlight to push games through that otherwise wouldn't have made it.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Night10194 posted:

One of the reasons furry character design is so awful is it's on comission for a guy like Klace. Bad direction leads to bad art.

and the male characters (and Blond Titwolf after a genderflip) all belong to other people, and we all seen examples of how... garish lot of the Sparkledog Fursonas can get. Coyote Mad Bomber is probably the best design we've seen.

Edit: Coyote Mad Bomber sounds like a good name for a band or for a sleazy cocktail

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Greenlight was in theory a good idea, but god it unleashed a clusterfuck of terrible games, unscrupulous developers and thieves. I remember pointing out some game stole assets from SNES Mario Kart and the developers kept deleting my comments, and giving other people increasingly convoluted excuses why it's not just Mario Kart with edited sprites.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

inthesto posted:

Atlanta Nights is a media hoax. A bunch of fantasy/sci-fi authors got together and wrote one chapter each of the shittiest book they could, to prove that fantasy publishers have no standards. It worked.

There was a similar hoax in the 70s, but the genre was erotica thriller instead. I can't remember the name of the book off the top of my head, but it was a New York Times bestseller before the joke was revealed.

Moral of the story is that people always had and always will have lovely taste.

The Unlife Aquatic did a correction, but the 70s book is Naked Came the Stranger, and when the hoax was revealed, it sold even more books.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

bet you it's because Klace gotten far more 'self-insert' pledges than he expected instead of putting in a limit, or refunding some and explain, he pads this game to fulfill his obligations and still felt he need to add more original characters because surprise, not a single female character was pledged.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Is there any point to Rabies being in any of these scenes? Or this game, he gets talked at, but he pretty much has no point

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 29, 2017

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

doesn't help that M/M the author has a delusion that he's original, and good - and can't abide by any criticism.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

the Lackadaisy artist was hired to do art for Ironclaw (basically Redwall mixed with Renaissance politics) but wasted it by directing her to do what's basically Furry Slayers fanart.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

FunkMonkey posted:

To equate mocking and contempt of furries to, to point out a favorite of theirs, homophobia or anti-transgenderism, is not only deluded but deeply disrespectful to those groups that have seen very real, very harmful prejudice and attacks made against them for centuries of our history. I think it's this aspect of it that prompts the most sneering and lack of respect towards furries - if they just laughed off or ignored the jibes made against them, like I'm sure many practitioners of consensual S&M and other kinks do, most wouldn't care. It's the RISE UP MY BRETHEREN WE HAVE NOTHING TO LOSE BUT OUR CHAINS attitude many of them seem to have that personally holds my scorn. Get loving real.

I feel this is pretty much it, trolls love baiting the fandom, and they can't ignore it and end up offending everyone else in the process. Doesn't help some of the highest profile furries are utter creeps like the guy that was stalking Tess McNeille.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Waffleman_ posted:

It was Tiny Toons. She played Fifi, the Pepe LePew analogue, I think.

Yep, and Babs Bunny as well. This dude was obsessed with Fifi, and started to stalk her and send threatening messages because that's what creepy stalkers do.

• Locked thread