Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Cangelosi posted:

Yes...yes I have. I belonged to a group of people who did Mystery Science Theater treatments on bad fanfictions, including some cringy self-insert fanfictions involving a crossover between Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter and the Three Ninjas. And the sequels even had James Bond, Mega Man, Ranma, Sephiroth, and...

Look, that's not the point. The point is that there are more cringy things out there, but this game does indeed make one feel uncomfortable in places, and very mistrustful of any dragon scientists who don't wear pants and uses explosives. If anything, this is one of the most cringeworthy crowdsourced games I've seen. And even then, I'm holding back.

A bit of a difference here is, those things you listed at first probably didn't cost money.
Major/Minor costs actual money. People paid money for it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

krisslanza posted:

A bit of a difference here is, those things you listed at first probably didn't cost money.
Major/Minor costs actual money. People paid money for it!

To be fair, furries regularly pay more for worse.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Antivehicular posted:

To be fair, furries regularly pay more for worse.

I mean, Zootopia made a billion dollars!

Zingo!

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
i liked zootopia ;_;

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Like it or dislike it, I don't think I've ever heard anyone describe Zootopia's visuals as "retina-melting", so that's a point in its favor over Fursona 4: Zero Logic Dilemma.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I haven't seen Zootopia, I just saw the opportunity.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Seriously, Lackadaisy.
It's not furry at all (it just uses cats, the anthropomorphic choice was made for purposes of expression, not sexualisation), and it's hands down one of the top 10 webcomics I've ever read. Probably top 5, and of course I have read a lot.

This is the most recent page, but it's not spoilery on anything important remotely important, as its basically early in a new side arc. On top of the gorgeous art, well-done plot, and a frankly extreme level of period research, the author can also do comedy very well (especially in reader questions in the extras section):

Had to cut these up and downsize some of them by 5%:

-

This isn't a buddy assassin plot though. The severely OCD autistic assassin (Mordecai) is not one of the main characters, and has never had breakfast with the marginally main character above (Rocky). It is very much an ensemble play.

---
Zootopia is decent. I felt the plot was too simple, but that's pretty standard for cartoons. I'd argue it's not really 'furry' and is also just 'anthropomorphic', since it's not fetishistic.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Apr 7, 2017

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

the Lackadaisy artist was hired to do art for Ironclaw (basically Redwall mixed with Renaissance politics) but wasted it by directing her to do what's basically Furry Slayers fanart.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

:facepalm: Well, thank goodness she's fully Patreoned now.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Apr 6, 2017

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

RA Rx posted:

Seriously, Lackadaisy.
It's not furry at all (it just uses cats, the anthropomorphic choice was made for purposes of expression, not sexualisation), and it's hands down one of the top 10 webcomics I've ever read. Probably top 5, and of course I have read a lot.
I'm just gonna point at the elephant in the room and say this is damning with faint praise at best.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

anilEhilated posted:

I'm just gonna point at the elephant in the room and say this is damning with faint praise at best.
The elephant in the room finds this quite rude and points back at you.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Wait are we posting our favourite furry comics? (ahahaha "it's just anthropomorphic, I swear!", don't kid yourself)

Here's Blacksad. It's amazing.

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Apr 6, 2017

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Night in the Woods, Clementine, Megg, Mogg and Owl... Possibly the Mouse Guard?

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Samovar posted:

Night in the Woods, Clementine, Megg, Mogg and Owl... Possibly the Mouse Guard?

Mouse Guard owns.

The mice look a bit samey but the authors do a good job of giving them different styles, colors, cloaks, and other things to help keep whose who. I adore the sense of scale they use as well as how they incorporate nature as technology into their world.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I liked the first 2-3 Mouse Guard volumes but they kinda lost me with all the spinoffs or whatever the Legends books are?

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Hedrigall posted:

I liked the first 2-3 Mouse Guard volumes but they kinda lost me with all the spinoffs or whatever the Legends books are?

Yeah, to be fair, I only have the first two volumes and the RPG. The RPG looks cool as hell and I need to convince my friends to give it a go. I've been meaning to swing back back into the series and check the rest out.

I just adore the art to be honest.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

anilEhilated posted:

Hedrigall posted:

Wait are we posting our favourite furry comics? (ahahaha "it's just anthropomorphic, I swear!", don't kid yourself)

Here's Blacksad. It's amazing.

Looks good, especially the top image.

It is definitely possible for genres to co-share idea space while going in opposite directions and being functionally distinct. And while there's no commonly agreed upon definition for furry, it is my strong opinion that the burning hate that deservedly exists for it is because of the subculture's fetishistic nature. There's a reason why almost no one considers Disney to be in the furry genre, and that is because it never contains PG material.

As for Lackadaisy, I believe the artwork and attention to period detail speaks for itself. The artist's ability to make sepia tones look natural alone is compelling.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 6, 2017

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

RA Rx posted:

Looks good, especially the top image.

It is definitely possible for genres to co-share idea space while going in opposite directions and being functionally distinct. And while there's no commonly agreed upon definition for furry, it is my strong opinion that the burning hate that deservedly exists for it is because of the subculture's fetishistic nature. There's a reason why almost no one considers Disney to be in the furry genre, and that is because it never contains PG material.

As for Lackadaisy, I believe the artwork and attention to period detail speaks for itself. The artist's ability to make sepia tones look natural alone is compelling.

My brother had some Blacksad comics from when he was younger, and I'll agree that they're pretty good. They recently cropped up for sale on Comixology, if you're interested.

As for why there is so much contempt for furries, I partially disagree that it's due to the sexual nature of the culture, outside of the more reviled elements of pedophilia and borderline bestiality that contaminate it in parts. I think it's mostly the trend of extremely self-righteous pretension that many furries have about their kink, and the atmosphere of outraged prejudice that they have propagated, especially when the culture was really coming into the spotlight 10ish years ago. The internet in particular, and I think millennial culture as a whole in the modern times, is increasingly jaded and at least tolerant, if not always approving, of most harmless fetishes out there, and for the most part I suspect that's what comprises the vast majority of it - extremely weird, but harmless and consensual. To equate mocking and contempt of furries to, to point out a favorite of theirs, homophobia or anti-transgenderism, is not only deluded but deeply disrespectful to those groups that have seen very real, very harmful prejudice and attacks made against them for centuries of our history. I think it's this aspect of it that prompts the most sneering and lack of respect towards furries - if they just laughed off or ignored the jibes made against them, like I'm sure many practitioners of consensual S&M and other kinks do, most wouldn't care. It's the RISE UP MY BRETHEREN WE HAVE NOTHING TO LOSE BUT OUR CHAINS attitude many of them seem to have that personally holds my scorn. Get loving real.

I'm not even aghast at this story book game for the furry thing, which many have already pointed out seems almost completely tangiential to the story and stuff as a whole. It's the eye-searingly ugly character designs and the laughably bad, basement dweller-caliber writing. If this story were even semi-decently written, I would probably cock an eyebrow at the furry thing but set it aside, if I even paid attention to a thing like Major/Minor at all.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

FunkMonkey posted:

To equate mocking and contempt of furries to, to point out a favorite of theirs, homophobia or anti-transgenderism, is not only deluded but deeply disrespectful to those groups that have seen very real, very harmful prejudice and attacks made against them for centuries of our history. I think it's this aspect of it that prompts the most sneering and lack of respect towards furries - if they just laughed off or ignored the jibes made against them, like I'm sure many practitioners of consensual S&M and other kinks do, most wouldn't care. It's the RISE UP MY BRETHEREN WE HAVE NOTHING TO LOSE BUT OUR CHAINS attitude many of them seem to have that personally holds my scorn. Get loving real.

I feel this is pretty much it, trolls love baiting the fandom, and they can't ignore it and end up offending everyone else in the process. Doesn't help some of the highest profile furries are utter creeps like the guy that was stalking Tess McNeille.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Robindaybird posted:

Doesn't help some of the highest profile furries are utter creeps like the guy that was stalking Tess McNeille.

Who?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Tress MacNeille, aka every female voice ever on The Simpsons and Futurama as well as Dot Warner in Animaniacs. I think creepy people stalked her because they found Dot sexy? I can't remember the whole story

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It was Tiny Toons. She played Fifi, the Pepe LePew analogue, I think.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

RA Rx posted:

Seriously, Lackadaisy.

The artist has also done a fair amount of (really gorgeous) artwork of the characters as actual humans and it's actually kind of uncanny how well everyone's features translate between the human and feline versions. It basically shows that yeah she could do the comic with everyone being human and it would change absolutely nothing, the only reason every is cats is for stylistic reasons.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I may or may not have spent a ridiculous amount of money ordering the two Lackadaisy hardcovers last night (there's a bundle on the comic's online store with both books and a tshirt and some pins/buttons and a calendar)

Shipping to Australia was... a lot

I have more dollars than sense

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Waffleman_ posted:

It was Tiny Toons. She played Fifi, the Pepe LePew analogue, I think.

Yep, and Babs Bunny as well. This dude was obsessed with Fifi, and started to stalk her and send threatening messages because that's what creepy stalkers do.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hedrigall posted:

I have more dollars than sense

Thank you for doing this pun properly. Everyone always says "more money than sense" and I'm like DAMMIT IT'S MAKE LIKE A TREE AND LEAVE

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Data Graham posted:

Thank you for doing this pun properly. Everyone always says "more money than sense" and I'm like DAMMIT IT'S MAKE LIKE A TREE AND LEAVE

For all intensive purposes, it doesn't matter

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Posting from back on page 35 to say never has the :piss: smilie been more appropriate. Just skimming this is making my eyes water.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Hedrigall posted:

For all intensive purposes, it doesn't matter

Leave the idiom mangling to Klace, please.

That goes for the rest of you, too. Let's try and run a tight boat here.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Cathode Raymond posted:

Leave the idiom mangling to Klace, please.

That goes for the rest of you, too. Let's try and run a tight boat here.

We're having a real conflict of interest here.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
T h i s c o n v e r s a t i o n w a s o p t i m a l

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I'm caught up now.

Not any closer to understanding than my last post, but caught up.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Rangpur posted:

I'm caught up now.

Not any closer to understanding than my last post, but caught up.

Buddy I think the only one actually reading the dialogue and scrutinizing the plot is the guy LPing it. For the rest of us it's like making one of those pinhole boxes to look at the sun during an eclipse.

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."
To be honest, I was essentially here to poke fun at this tripe, but I find the side conversations to be quite intellectual.

Though we do all agree that squirrels should not visit maid cafes, and that's what unites us as a group.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Cangelosi posted:

To be honest, I was essentially here to poke fun at this tripe, but I find the side conversations to be quite intellectual.

Though we do all agree that squirrels should not visit maid cafes, and that's what unites us as a group.

gently caress it, I just hate squirrels in general. Goddamn tree-rats.

sturgeon general
Jun 27, 2005

Smells like sushi.

FunkMonkey posted:

To equate mocking and contempt of furries to, to point out a favorite of theirs, homophobia or anti-transgenderism, is not only deluded but deeply disrespectful to those groups that have seen very real, very harmful prejudice and attacks made against them for centuries of our history. I think it's this aspect of it that prompts the most sneering and lack of respect towards furries - if they just laughed off or ignored the jibes made against them, like I'm sure many practitioners of consensual S&M and other kinks do, most wouldn't care. It's the RISE UP MY BRETHEREN WE HAVE NOTHING TO LOSE BUT OUR CHAINS attitude many of them seem to have that personally holds my scorn. Get loving real.

Furry has been an outlet for LGBT people for years, and Europeans persecuted suspected werewolves centuries ago. SA has always had its own persistent "RISE UP MY BRETHREN" attitude that's just as annoying.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Werewolves. Seriously.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

CoolFish88 posted:

Europeans persecuted suspected werewolves centuries ago.

HA. Ok bud, you got me. Great counter argument. I definitely forgot to account for Sergei, feudal serf unjustly burned at the stake by the Inquisition as a werewolf for stitching a raccoon tail to his breeches while working the field. A true martyr for the cause of equal rights.

Thanks for this false equivalency that exactly proves my point.

HAHAHA, werewolves...Jesus Christ.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 8, 2017

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

It's "witches", not "werewolves". Pretty sure we didn't have a furry Giles Corey demanding more weight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Oh, there were werewolf trials alright, mostly in Eastern Europe around the 16th and 17th century. Apart from that, I do hope we are being expertly trolled.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 8, 2017

• Locked thread