Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Welcome to the (new!) Feminism Thread. This thread is for the discussion of feminism, sex, gender, and women's issues worldwide. In light of posting about feminist issues that are not necessarily intersectional with the misogynoir thread, I'd thought it would be prudent to resurrect the feminism thread. Accordingly, this should be the space for feminist issues overall; if relevant, feel free to crosspost from misogynoir! Please do your best to be a good and productive feminist or feminist ally; ignorance is forgivable, but do your best to become educated and try to post thoughtfully.

That aside, let's lay down some ground rules:

1. Please, please, as stated above do your best to become educated!
This thread will be a great place (I hope!) to lurk and learn more about feminism; that being said, please do not come in with women's studies 101 questions, or outright trolling. It is not the obligation of anyone who posts here to educate you; rather, the onus is on you to do some self-education first. As a courtesy, do some homework before you come in here

Reading List (This is a mere jumping off point; I encourage anybody to post any books or articles relevant to the discussion)
Women, Race, and Class by Angela Y. Davis
The Feminine Mystique by Betty Friedan
The Second Sex by Simone de Beauvoir
The Second Sex Summaries by Defenestration
Woman, Native, Other by Trinh T. Minh-ha
Delusions of Gender: How Our Minds, Society, and Neurosexism Create Difference by Cordelia Fine
Feminism is For Everybody: Passionate Politics by bell hooks
Brainstorm: The Flaws in the Science of Sex Differences by Rebecca M. Jordan-Young
Whipping Girl by Julia Serano
Men Explain Things to Me by Rebecca Solnit courtesy of Defenestration
This is a pretty comprehensive list.
A Primer courtesy of Red Harvest
The Politics of Housework by Pat Mainardi of the NY Redstockings courtesy of Tiny Brontosaurus
updated link, thanks Olive Branch!
Feminism: Issues & Arguments by Jennifer Mather Saul
Becoming Ugly by Madeleine Davies courtesy of Nevvy Z

Definitions (Shamelessly stolen from HOW HIGH THE MOON)

Feminism refers to a school of beliefs that center around the social and economic equality of all people, regardless of gender. It has a heavy focus on the problems faced by women, especially the culture of violence and shame that has developed and contributed to the oppression of women and how this culture has evolved and changed over time. Feminism is multifaceted and representative of many different viewpoints while also possessing several unifying goals. There are many different branches of feminism with many different approaches to solving the problem of patriarchy.

Patriarchy is a social system in which men are expected to dominate the central roles of leadership and authority. It is perpetuated through cultural norms and concepts which have roots from long before any of us were born. Patriarchy is not a secret cabal of men plotting ways to oppress women. It describes the entire structure of a given society, from the roles we are expected to play to the qualities and values which we perceive to be superior. It can be enforced and upheld by anyone, regardless of whether it benefits them or not.

Misogyny is the hatred, dislike, or mistrust of women. Misogyny can be overt and it can also be expressed through indirect actions. It can manifest in the form of anything from an outright belief in the inferiority of women to the unconscious expression of negative messages we have received through media and social conditioning. Not everyone who expresses misogyny is aware that they are doing so. It is a pervasive attitude in our culture.

Sexism is hatred or prejudice expressed toward a particular sex as a whole. It most often takes the form of prejudice against women, although it can be directed at anyone. In the context of feminism, it is usually used to describe discriminatory attitudes or behaviors based on traditional stereotypes of sexual roles. As an interesting aside, this term did not exist in English until the 1960's-70's. During this time period the Civil Rights movement was taking place and the word “sexism” was created by female activists based on the etymology of the word racism.

Sex and Gender are two terms that were used interchangeably until the 1950's, when sexologist John Money introduced the concept of gender as a social role. In modern feminism, sex is used to refer to a person's biological makeup (what sex chromosomes and sexual organs an individual possesses), while gender is considered to be a socially influenced concept that describes the identity we construct around our sex. It is your sense of being a male or a female and all of the social rules and characteristics that are internalized in association with that.

As an interesting aside to sex and gender, there are some cultures which possess more than two genders. The Hijra of India, the Fa'afafine of Polynesia, and the Virgjineshtë of Albania are a few common examples of what Anthropologists refer to as "the third gender". Individuals who identify as (or sometimes are forced into) these roles are considered to be an independent third gender that is somewhere between male and female. Two-Spirit people in North American indigenous tribes are considered to be both genders simultaneously. This is different from intersex people, who possess biological characteristics that are difficult to categorize as strictly male or female. What gender intersex people prefer to identify as, if any, is up to the individual.

Gender Roles are culturally specific sets of social and behavioral norms which are deemed appropriate for individuals based on their sex. They are largely defined by your upbringing. The expectation that men be providers, emotionless, assertive, authoritarian and hyper-sexual as well as the expectation that women be caregivers, emotional, passive, compromising and constantly sexually pleasing to men are common gender roles that we find ourselves subjected to. Individuals who step outside of these roles are often mocked, demeaned or even punished through social or physical violence. Feminism's goal is to rid society of the idea that people must adhere to these roles and to dismantle the negative associations with "femininity".

Intersectionalitydescribes how various biological, social and cultural categories intersect simultaneously and contribute to the oppression of women with different degrees of severity. Specifically, this theory stands in opposition to an either/or line of thought: that you are either oppressed for being a woman or for being black. Under the line of thought put forward by intersectionality, you are simultaneously oppressed both for being a woman and for being black, creating a greater level of disparity than a white woman will experience. It also explains how women can possess privilege in one area while experiencing disadvantages in another.

Privilege is a right, immunity, or benefit that is experienced by a person which is beyond the advantages of most others. It is used in exactly this context in feminism. If you are described as being “privileged”, it means that you are immune to social pressures and problems that other groups of people face, that you have a right which is denied to other groups of people, and/or that you benefit from a system which does not provide those same benefits to others. Privilege is not necessarily asked for. It is merely assigned according to the social position that you are born into. It does not mean you do not ever face hardships or legitimate problems. It simply means that there are other problems and issues which you have the privilege of avoiding where others do not.

Rape Culture is the term used to describe the practice of normalizing, excusing, tolerating, justifying and/or condoning sexual violence. In America this is most often accomplished through media messages which paint sexual violence as the logical consequence of women failing to properly protect themselves. It is also the product of a long history of apathy and hostility directed toward alleged victims of sexual assault by legal institutions, which discourages victims from seeking help. It is Rape Culture which pushes the idea that men are unable to control their sexual conduct and should be inherently viewed as predators. Most feminists view the key to reducing sexual violence overall as the eradication of Rape Culture.

The Gilded Cage is a concept used to explain the immobile position of women in society. The name originates from a classic painting of a woman surrounded in splendor, staring longingly through a window toward an open field. In feminist theory, it explains a simple idea: women are surrounded by "golden bars" which are said to be the benefits of their gender, but are also used to immobilize and degrade when necessary. It creates a duality in which sexually active women are desired, but can be deemed to be worthless sluts. Chaste women are lauded for their self-control, but are also mocked for being frigid ice queens. Quiet, passive women are ideal and yet also meant to be spoken over and ignored while loud, aggressive women are masculine-acting but irritating and bitchy. This concept is a good one to remember. You will often hear feminists talking about the lose/lose situation women enter into, where femininity is regarded as inferior by default so even perfect adherence to its rules will still leave women as secondary and unequal.

FAQ's (Shamelessly cribbed from the same source)

"Why don't they change the name from Feminism to Egalitarianism? Feminism contains some ugly connotations and it can distract people from seeing that it is a movement for everyone."

Because literally no children's book has ever ended with “Wow, I’m sorry that I misunderstood what you are all about. Let’s agree to change what you call yourself so I can keep my prejudices exactly as they are and never make this mistake again.”

"Can I be religious and feminist?"

Absolutely. Several feminist organizations incorporate religion into their programs. While a large number of feminists lean towards atheism, religion and feminism are not necessarily at odds. However, religious doctrine that enforces patriarchy is often criticized by feminists.

"Can men be feminists?"

There is a disagreement on terminology within the movement. Some say yes and others prefer men call themselves "allies". Very few feminists feel that men cannot be part of the feminist movement. However, being a male feminist requires introspection and critical thought. Our current society allows for the dismissal of women's voices on subjects which effect them, and most feminists are aggressively opposed to allowing the voices of women to be ignored or shouted over. Many women's issues do not and never will effect men directly; we maintain that women must be listened to when speaking on those subjects.

"Are Radical Feminists the ones who hate men?"

Sexists are the ones who hate men. Radfems are called radical because they believe that radical actions and changes must be taken up in order to achieve feminism's end goals. Not all RadFems agree with one-another, although they do tend to be the loudest feminist group. Short answer: a bigot is a bigot, no matter where they claim to speak from. Simply being a radical feminist does not mean you hate men, trans people, or anyone else.

"Why do so many feminists disagree with each other?"

There are many branches within the feminist movement. Obviously, not everyone has the same ideas about how to fix society's problems or where they come from. You may hear some feminists agree one topic and others disagree with it entirely. You're dealing with people, not a hivemind.

"As a man, why should I care about feminism or my male privilege?"

Because not everyone in your life is going to be in the same race/gender/socioeconomic bracket. So even if you benefit from your privilege, people you care about are affected negatively by it. This has two immediate impacts: 1. The lives of people who care about are worse and 2. you will end up having to help care for those people. If a friend of yours can't find a place to live because they're black and gay, and they crash on your couch, that has a direct impact (economic and otherwise) on your life. If your wife or girlfriend can't get good medical care because her insurance doesn't cover an issue specific to women, that has a direct economic impact on your life. If your mother or daughter or sister makes less money because of her gender, that will have an economic impact on your life, direct or indirect. Privilege is only unequivocally beneficial if you surround yourself ONLY with others in your demographic: hence the rise of movements like Men Going Their Own Way, who seek to do that.

You also have to deal with the costs of accessing that privilege. Men lose access to male privilege, in whole or in part, if they don't act in the ways that men are supposed to act, under the same societal rules that enforce their privilege. If a man chooses to take a traditionally female job, like teaching, he loses economic power and privilege. Just as one example. But fighting back against the systems that enforce that privilege also fights back against the costs associated with accessing that privilege.

2. Be respectful
I want people to come in here and be able to post about feminism without it descending into screeds about GODDAMN SJW's, or yell that TERF nonsense that transwomen aren't women. The caveat to this is that if someone comes in here trolling or with MRA nonsense, feel free to show them the door.

3. Again, don't be lovely
Come in here, and if you've said something real bad, in good faith, walk away. Please listen and try to understand why people call out sexism, even if you think you're being a good ally. DO NOT come in here and start poo poo about how "rape accusations aren't real," "why don't we call it egalitarianism," "idpol bad."

4. Keep it relevant
This thread is not a place for you to post about say, James Comey, or Russian hacks. This thread is a place to post about feminism and feminist issues, and as long as derails are kept to those lines or other intersectional issues with feminism, everything'll be okay!

5. THIS IS NOT THE THREAD FOR YOU TO TALK ABOUT MEN'S ISSUES
Yes, it is important to discuss how sexism affects men, and men face unique problems. HOWEVER, this is the feminism thread, so let's keep it on FEMINISM, please. There are two threads now in d&d that are about women, as opposed to LITERALLY EVERY OTHER THREAD. Please think twice before whipping your dong on the thread and talking about men.

Resources
In the US: call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-7233 (SAFE) or call the National Sexual Assault Hotline at 1-800-656-4673 (HOPE)

UK: call Women's Aid at 0808 2000 247 or the Mankind Initiative at 01823 334244

Canada: call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-363-9010.

Australia: call 1800RESPECT at 1800 737 732 or the Mensline Australia at 1300 78 99 78

Worldwide: visit the International Directory of Domestic Violence Agencies for a global list of helplines and crisis centers.

Legal Information for Victims of Abuse and Sexual Assault: http://www.womenslaw.org/

Charities and Organizations

RAINN(Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network) is the nation's largest anti-sexual violence organization. RAINN created and operates the National Sexual Assault Hotline in partnership with more than 1,000 local sexual assault service providers across the country and operates the DoD Safe Helpline for the Department of Defense. RAINN also carries out programs to prevent sexual violence, help victims, and ensure that perpetrators are brought to justice.

Planned Parenthood delivers vital reproductive health care, sex education, and information to millions of women, men, and young people worldwide.

Feminist Majority Foundation is an organization dedicated to women's equality, reproductive health, and non-violence and utilizes research and action to empower women economically, socially, and politically.

Distributing Dignity is an organization that distributes new bras, pads and tampons, enhancing the dignity of women in need.

The Women's Refugee Commission improves the lives and protects the rights of women, children and youth displaced by conflict and crisis.

The Women's Global Empowerment Fund provides women with the framework necessary to create viable opportunities for themselves and their families.

Tostan uses a human rights-based approach to community empowerment and sustainable development programs across Africa, and their programs have resulted in 19K+ women selected into community leadership positions, 7,000+ communities publicly declaring they will not allow their daughters to marry before age 18, and 3 million+ people living in communities that have sworn an end to female genital cutting.

AIWR (Alliance for Women's Rights) is a U.S. non-profit organization with a mission of supporting women leaders and future women leaders in developing countries (with a current focus on Afghanistan).

Pro Mujer is one of Latin America’s leading women’s development organizations. Their integrated approach offers access to finance, health and educational services.

Girls Not Brides is a global partnership of more than 650 civil society organisations committed to ending child marriage and enabling girls to fulfill their potential.

Keeping in Touch with Your Elected Officials (USA)
How to effectively talk to your member of Congress by Emily Ellsworth

Call the Halls: Contacting Your Representative the Smart Way by Emily Ellsworth

Other Relevant Threads

Let's talk about the impacts of patriarchy/misogyny/male privelege on men.

Misogynoir, #BlackGirlMagic and Everything In Between.

QUILTBAG-The fate of fabulous folks in foreign fields.

stone cold fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jan 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
I'm very excited for this thread. Please please please let's not ruin it.

Men Explain Things to Me by Rebecca Solnit = new classic
https://www.guernicamag.com/rebecca-solnit-men-explain-things-to-me/

Last time around I was doing summaries of The Second Sex, which I can dig up again if people care

VV
popped it back onto gdocs
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1N-tf2M10Jf1rbJuyOvfJA2EfzTgGPZfpdifvc1-Hw2Y/edit?usp=sharing

it's in bb code since it was posts

Defenestration fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Dec 27, 2016

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Defenestration posted:

Last time around I was doing summaries of The Second Sex, which I can dig up again if people care

I'd be interested, and this would be the place to post it! I'll edit your link into the op, thanks~!

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Defenestration posted:

The comments on that article :staredog:

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

The article was great, and she was honestly the gentlest touch of a feminist I've read in some time (seriously, she even threw "not all men" in there as a salve for the uninitiated/sensitive). They still managed to do little more than Explain how she's "wrong."

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Why do this to yourself.

e. Could we link to RAINN in the OP? Not exactly a resource but a list of good charities would be cool.

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 27, 2016

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

why can't I be a feminist as a man, and instead have to be an "ally"? (i'm assuming that's hiw this works)

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

icantfindaname posted:

why can't I be a feminist as a man, and instead have to be an "ally"? (i'm assuming that's hiw this works)

Why make that assumption?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Deified Data posted:

Why make that assumption?

How does the concept of ally work then?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

icantfindaname posted:

Well, it's more commonly used by people identifying their support for the rights of quiltbags or PoC who are themselves not. Though there are some weirdos who use it because they don't like referring to themselves as feminists.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

icantfindaname posted:

If you subscribe to a feminist outlook of the world you're a feminist.

I don't really understand why people use the term "ally" either. To differentiate between varying levels of experience/involvement with the core issue maybe? It's not terribly important to the conversation and shouldn't bother you too much. If anything it's gained a (perhaps undeserved) reputation to mean fair-weather friends so you're better off just doing what you do and forgetting about labels. Feminism is a defined worldview hence the defined label "feminist" as opposed to "feminist ally".

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I missed this thread and am really glad it's back.

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

Deified Data posted:

I don't really understand why people use the term "ally" either. To differentiate between varying levels of experience/involvement with the core issue maybe? It's not terribly important to the conversation and shouldn't bother you too much. If anything it's gained a (perhaps undeserved) reputation to mean fair-weather friends so you're better off just doing what you do and forgetting about labels. Feminism is a defined worldview hence the defined label "feminist" as opposed to "feminist ally".

I think you're right that it's about involvement. Feminism is an ideology. But it's also an activist movement.

I'd take "ally" to mean someone who's supportive of the ideology, but not leading any immediate activism themselves.

I kind of like the idea of people defining themselves based on what they're doing, rather than on what they believe. Especially for an ideology as diverse as feminism.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

icantfindaname posted:

It's fine for men to be feminists. The most fanatical feminist I know is a man.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

I'll add more charities once I'm off my phone, thank you for the suggestion deified data!

icantfindaname posted:

Um that's not how it works, there are male feminists. I included both terms, because why ruffle any feathers?

Red Harvest
Mar 13, 2007

Wait, it's Clint? Well shit.
I feel like this offered a good, bare-bones description of feminism. At least it made it easy for me to understand the basic tenets of feminism.

http://www.colorado.edu/Sociology/Mayer/Contemporary%20Theory/Feminist%20Theory_files/frame.htm

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I can be both male and feminist because it's an ideology, but I can't be LGBTQ, or a woman, or a PoC no matter how much I support their rights because those are some degree of identity that I personally do not share. Hence "ally".

I'm glad this thread is back, there's been a lot of good discussion before that I really enjoyed reading in the past.

Vindicator
Jul 23, 2007

Being an ally suggests you are a supporter outside the group. Hetero folks might identify themselves as LGBT allies because they support LGBT rights, but are not LGBT themselves. Feminism isn't really like that. All feminists agree with and support feminism, being female isn't a prerequisite. I think the only time the ally thing gets really bashed about is when discussing voices or leadership roles in feminist activism, because guys need to be mindful of talking over women on topics like abortion access etc.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Vindicator posted:

Being an ally suggests you are a supporter outside the group. Hetero folks might identify themselves as LGBT allies because they support LGBT rights, but are not LGBT themselves. Feminism isn't really like that. All feminists agree with and support feminism, being female isn't a prerequisite. I think the only time the ally thing gets really bashed about is when discussing voices or leadership roles in feminist activism, because guys need to be mindful of talking over women on topics like abortion access etc.

I figure because there are certain feminists that find male feminism problematic and there are people at large who agree with feminism who don't necessarily feel as though they do anything that warrants the label, why not include both feminist and feminist allies? Ultimately, it's about how you choose to identify yourself as a feminist really, and again, why ruffle any feathers?

E: if this is ultimately causing more problems than it is being inclusive, I can remove "ally" from the op

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
I am getting rather worried that the right-wing backlash we are seeing all over the world right now might endanger all the baby-step advances that have been taken in the last decade. I mean, politicians see that by catering to racists and sexists they get enough votes to win, so do you see this worsening? Look at Trump, Brexit, etc. Do you think the politicians will keep pandering to that demographic and reverse progressive laws, or at least stop pushing for more?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

stone cold posted:

I figure because there are certain feminists that find male feminism problematic and there are people at large who agree with feminism who don't necessarily feel as though they do anything that warrants the label, why not include both feminist and feminist allies? Ultimately, it's about how you choose to identify yourself as a feminist really, and again, why ruffle any feathers?

E: if this is ultimately causing more problems than it is being inclusive, I can remove "ally" from the op
Nah, personally I think there's space for it because why ruffle feathers like you said? Someone was just asking a legit question and its been a chill discussion so far. I know a lot of people who'd probably appreciate the space to be supportive of feminism without having to declare themselves feminist in part because of some unnecessary demonization and deliberately perpetuated falsehoods. I would have when I first started getting into the topic. Still do in some ways.

E: and as for the future, I have no idea, but I've stepped up my PP volunteering. Some poo poo could get very bad for a lot of people, but I don't know how badly or for who exactly.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Dec 27, 2016

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Let's try to adopt the more accurate terms 'masculinarchy' or 'mascularchy' ITT, as smashing the patriarchy alone will not address all forms of gender inequality

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Is this thread generally for Equality Feminism or discussion of Feminism of all flavors?

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Pochoclo posted:

I am getting rather worried that the right-wing backlash we are seeing all over the world right now might endanger all the baby-step advances that have been taken in the last decade. I mean, politicians see that by catering to racists and sexists they get enough votes to win, so do you see this worsening? Look at Trump, Brexit, etc. Do you think the politicians will keep pandering to that demographic and reverse progressive laws, or at least stop pushing for more?

The world is in for a very bad time, if history is any indication.

The tide broke and rolled back, if you will.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

Is this thread generally for Equality Feminism or discussion of Feminism of all flavors?

Bring everything on in!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Talmonis posted:

The world is in for a very bad time, if history is any indication.

The tide broke and rolled back, if you will.
It's almost as if reform within the system doesn't work when the system is misogynist.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Are there any determinist feminist thinkers of note?

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

icantfindaname posted:

Why get upset about it? I'd like to think of myself as a feminist but if women don't think I deserve the title I'm going to consider myself rather than arguing.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

the white hand posted:

Why get upset about it? I'd like to think of myself as a feminist but if women don't think I deserve the title I'm going to consider myself rather than arguing.

Doesn't this presuppose that there's such a thing as a consensus amongst women about the label, that there are clear boundaries that can be policed, that someone has the authority to police them, that women have a special access to truth and knowledge, or that such a thing as a mode of thinking confers a label to be earned?

I don't think any of that is true. Or falsifiable, for that matter. We can't even reach consensus on what constitutes "woman", so who are these women who disapprove of you calling yourself a feminist, and why are they more authoritative than the ones who approve or don't care either way? I don't necessarily disagree with you regarding men avoiding label, albeit purely as a social lubricant to avoid digressions like this. However, what you wrote strikes me as completely absurd once you start unpacking it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

the trump tutelage posted:

Doesn't this presuppose that there's such a thing as a consensus amongst women about the label, that there are clear boundaries that can be policed, that someone has the authority to police them, that women have a special access to truth and knowledge, or that such a thing as a mode of thinking confers a label to be earned?
Trying to address feminism from the perspective of male insecurity never makes any sense, and everyone should just ignore that rear end in a top hat.

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I don't think any of that is true. Or falsifiable, for that matter. We can't even reach consensus on what constitutes "woman", so who are these women who disapprove of you calling yourself a feminist, and why are they more authoritative than the ones who approve or don't care either way? I don't necessarily disagree with you regarding men avoiding label, albeit purely as a social lubricant to avoid digressions like this. However, what you wrote strikes me as completely absurd once you start unpacking it.

Nobody cares what you think

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

the white hand posted:

"Not deserving the title of feminist" sounds more like the sort of things anti-feminists think feminists think than what feminists actually think. Most feminists want everyone to be feminist. It's a practical thing rather than a medal to be pinned on a person. It's about believing in the equality of all genders. It's more complex than that at the theory level, but you don't need to be an academic to be a feminist. IMHO, making it out to be an exclusive club sets it up to be some sort of strawman about "feminists don't care about men or men's issues."

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

Trying to address feminism from the perspective of male insecurity never makes any sense, and everyone should just ignore that rear end in a top hat.
Can you go into more detail about this? I'm not savvy enough with the discussions within/surrounding feminism to get what it means to discuss feminism from that perspective. I mean I kind of get it, but not really -- the whole idea of men interpreting feminism as an attack on men, or centring men('s feelings) in feminist discussion?

Unless you're saying I'm the rear end in a top hat, in which case :colbert:

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Issuing a personal challenge to all dear friends to keep the pointless semantic argument that pops up in every feminism thread isolated to the first page. Who will answer the call

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Can you go into more detail about this? I'm not savvy enough with the discussions surrounding feminism to get what it means to discuss feminism from that perspective. I mean I kind of get it, but not really -- the whole idea of men interpreting feminism as an attack on men / centring men in feminist discussion?
No, icantfindaname. He came in whining about something not based in real feminist discussion, but his own insecurities as a man. It has no place in a discussion of feminism. It does not contribute to the conversation. It isn't even really about feminism.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

the white hand posted:

Nobody cares what you think
I do, and thought it was an interesting post so could you please be less of an rear end in a top hat?

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Can you go into more detail about this? I'm not savvy enough with the discussions within/surrounding feminism to get what it means to discuss feminism from that perspective. I mean I kind of get it, but not really -- the whole idea of men interpreting feminism as an attack on men, or centring men('s feelings) in feminist discussion?

Unless you're saying I'm the rear end in a top hat, in which case :colbert:

Okay one of the things in the op, is educate yourself. Perhaps you may want to consider doing some independent research, and again, let's please try not to make the feminism thread the "I am a man, please explain misandry and the general mansensus feelings on feminism to me," especially given that there are some great male feminists out there.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

No, icantfindaname. He came in whining about something not based in real feminist discussion, but his own insecurities as a man. It has no place in a discussion of feminism. It does not contribute to the conversation. It isn't even really about feminism.

I asked a serious question? I'm glad to hear that most feminists don't conceive of allies as working that way

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

I asked a serious question? I'm glad to hear that most feminists don't conceive of allies as working that way
What's important for men in feminism isn't the labels you choose to use, it's your actions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vindicator
Jul 23, 2007

icantfindaname posted:

To be fair, it's not hard to read it as a shitpost. It seems immediately abrasive, demonstrates a mistaken preconception, and indicates nothing about how you came to hold that belief. For real, though, who told you men couldn't be feminists?

• Locked thread