Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Khisanth Magus posted:

Apparently Ted Cruz introduced a constitutional amendment to force term limits on the Senate and House.

I love how stupid people are about the subject, with something like 75% of people surveyed being for them. People just don't realize that all term limits are going to do is fill Congress with people who don't know how to govern and will be even more reliant on lobbyists and think-tanks.
While this is true, because most people usually think of there only being a few years that will be allowed, I think term limits could be helpful if congressmen were limited to a total of 30 years between House and Senate (or maybe give them a few extra years if they rise from House to Senate). It's long enough that Congress won't be perpetually filled with impressionable and manipulable neophytes, but not long enough that the parties can ignore grooming future members. A bit of churn could be a good thing, especially in solid red/blue states. I think we all would have been better off if Ted Kennedy had spent his last re-election campaign promoting some progressive up-and-comer.

And I also think the age of the experienced elder statesmen is just about over, especially for the Republicans. The lobbyists and think tanks already write all of the policies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

cowofwar posted:

I can't imagine this getting through the senate. Or past Trump without some serious concessions on free trade. I think Trump is going to hold all the socially regressive poo poo hostage unless he gets his economic changes.
What? Trump and congressional Republicans are not really in disagreement about anything. Trump wants some terrible poo poo? Fine, let him have it. And in return he'll sign whatever is put in front of him. You're fooling yourself if you think there are any brakes on this train.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Fulchrum posted:

Okay, back up. What allows this?
A Republican majority.

• Locked thread