Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

1 is relatively primitive but still playable, 2 is maybe better than 4 and 3 is good but kind of all over the place story-wise.

I remember being amazed at the concept of taking cover in UC1. You could avoid getting shot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

dont be mean to me posted:

Most Sony stuff used various forms of Memory Stick until the Vita (their new high-end stuff uses yet another format

does it? as far as i know they use sd cards like everyone else.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

dont be mean to me posted:

Clearly I typed "until the Vita" for my health; thanks for the catch, Fishmech.

XQD took over Sony's high-end.

The Vita is not high-end and the Vita memory situation was reactionary as gently caress.

I was talking about the other thing you mentioned, hence the part i quoted, I know about vita i've had one since launch. I'd not heard of XQD.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

verbal enema posted:

I heard this doesn't support the 2nd stick

You've heard a load of poo poo. You can assign the face buttons to the second stick.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Where does the Uncharted Vita version fit into this mess of things

It's a prequel and a decent handheld game

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Killzone chat ITT cracks me up because while I never played it on PS4 the one that they--or another team?--made for Vita was really really good and had a decent MP

Yeah its pretty much the best handheld game of all time. It's the only shooter MP on any console that I enjoyed too.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

For real Killzone: Shadowfall is kind of cool for the first, like, level and a half. After that you get typical FPS weapons and the entire rest of the game is the dumbest poo poo ever. I love that the only good Killzone game is the Vita one which wasn't even made by Guerilla Games. I couldn't believe how good that game was compared to any other Killzone game.

Incidentally the Cambridge studio who made Killzone on Vita was just shut down by Sony which is unfortunate.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

morallyobjected posted:

that SSX was great and I loved that you could literally wingsuit down some of the tracks in like 12 seconds.

nothing quite compares to that big mountain and the continuity of tracks in SSX3 though. *sigh*

e: it just kills me that of all things Crash Bandicoot is getting a remake (which, by the trailer I've seen, looks and plays much worse than the original) since Activision apparently has money to burn and doesn't give a gently caress, while other games are doomed to toil in obscurity forever.

ah yes of all things one of the best platformers of all time is getting a remake, such injustice in the world

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Is the full game of Nioh going to have an easy mode or something because I might enjoy it but I died 2000 times playing the demo alone and i don't have the stomach to play through a death simulator

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

This may sound odd but have you tried turning the light down to dim and maybe disabling the speaker?

I've had my DS since launch and I've literally never had it run out of batteries unless I forget to unplug it, even during long-rear end sessions, but I did both those things.

The speaker doesn't get used that much but when it does its pretty neat so I don't see the point in disabling it. Can't use that much power.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Speaking of controller features, what are some people's favorite uses of the speaker and lights. I liked how in Mad Max during the final mission you can hear ghostly voices through it. I like how in Rise of the Tomb raider the light changes colour depending on the light source lara is using.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

I disagree? You have to be really invested in the story or really love clunky third person shooters which is definitely not true for everyone.

A third person shooter is pretty much the bog standard for a game most people can get to grips with. Like you don't get much more mass appeal than Uncharted.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

blackguy32 posted:

Knack isn't a terrible game, but it definitely is a game that sends mixed messages. You would think that the game was a easy game for kids by just looking at it, but the game can be hard as gently caress in some places.

It's like the dark souls of games

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
For Honor looks really cool, if anyone has a spare invite lying around im WandleCax on ubisoft club if that's how it works

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Adaptabullshit posted:

Sent you a friend invite just now. Starts with J.

Thank you friend!

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
I remember uncharted 3 seemingly consisted entirely of those big cinematic moments and dramatic settings like a capsizing cruise ship, a plane, a desert etc

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

TFRazorsaw posted:

I thought Sony owned Naughty Dog.

I mean bloodborne is first party in the sense that sony produced and published it so it's 100% exclusive to ps4, so is this a meaningful distinction to make?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Why didn't you just put your PS4 into rest mode

That would involve thinking critically for half a second, why do that when you can post your daily whine on the internet

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Crows Turn Off posted:

The game is just OK. The camera and controls are bad. Trico needs to react better to commands, and "it's like a real pet" is just a way to excuse unreliable pathing and input confusion. The game not knowing what to do sometimes isn't a positive trait.

No it's intentional.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

homeless snail posted:

Cats are pretty bad at pathing in real life, also

And certainly input confusion. But you don't hear me complaining about my cat's controls and camera

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Ometeotl posted:

Intentionally bad is still bad, hth

I'll tell that to my cat

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Seems like there's two camps, cool people who enjoy TLG, and stubborn and impatient dorks who would rather complain than put some effort and thought in to enjoy a game

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
What about REvelations 1 and 2?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Relin posted:

i see. i've signed up for quite a few free trials in my time but never done that, but i can see how they'd want to exploit people. good old sony

Literally every other service in the world offers a free trial and does the exact same thing

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Evil Canadian posted:

Ok after seeing all the hype around boost mode, I traded in my ps4 and a bunch of other stuff and got a pro.

THE PRO CONTROLLER THE LIGHT ALSO COMES THROUGH THE TOUCHPAD ITS AMAZING.

that's all new DS4s not just the pro

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Alder posted:

They should let me turn off the DS4 light after a few min :(

You should enjoy the nice light :)

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I'm liking the For Honor "beta" (the weekend before it releases, lol) enough to buy it this time, which is weird because I didn't like it much at all in the closed beta. A few tweaks do wonders.

You'd think it would appeal to the soulsborne crowd, but nary a whisper here.

For Honor owns and i'm going to buy it and spend many hours playing it. The gameplay is deep enough that it rewards your time getting better at it and it also gives it that addictive quality. and it makes me feel competitive like few other games

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Inspector Hound posted:

I have to agree with others here and recommend For Honor. If you liked bloodborne the combat is pretty similar from what I've played, maybe a little more forgiving, and when it clicks it's pretty drat satisfying to square off with someone.

Definitely, a good duel is an engaging battle of wits. Kind of like paper scissors rock but with more decapitations

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

For honor seems fun, but idk about $60. Plus the season pass of course lol. Can't imagine it's a game I'd play for more than 2-4 weeks. Might just get a physical copy then flip it

Yeah the season pass is 100% optional, all new maps and modes are released free at the same time for everone, the pass give you easier unlock of new characters

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Bombadilillo posted:

A component and potentially deep 1v1 combat system shoved in a moba shell. Its not a good game.

2v2 was whoever wins their paired off duel first.
Moba is a moba. Maybe you like moba's?

1v1 not gonna sustain any repeatability. It felt tacked on. Like its where you learn how to play without worrying about getting stabbed in the back. So you can play the fun modes where you can be doing well with your verbset built around 1 on 1 battles...then get stabbed in the back.

I've never seen the mechanics of a game so at odds with the gameplay you are supposed to engage in with those mechanics.

I think your take is a bit disingenuous, I don't know what the gently caress a moba is but For Honor is a decent game with an excellent deep combat system.

The game is built around 1v1 combat, it is not tacked on whatsoever, you can play 1v1 duels all day if you want to and again the system is deep enough that it provides for many options, tactics etc. It would take a while to master each character, who are each quite different, and overall the system provides for excellent duels if you know what you are doing.

the 4v4 and modes of which there are several are fun too and the combat functions in a slightly different way in those modes, some of the more advanced tactics are potentially overlooked in the chaos but it boils down to 1v1 combat just in a different arena with different objectives, and yes you might end up in a 1v2 situation, there are ways to deal with that. There is the additional element of a battle "front" with AI drones in one of the modes which adds a different layer of gameplay to that mode which requires a different strategy. And yes you might get stabbed in the back if you do not watch your back, situational awareness comes into play. And mostly that's not instant death either. You always have a fighting chance in most situations

So really i can understand some people not getting into it but when it clicks the game is very satisfying and rewarding and personally i think I will be playing and enjoying many hours of it. I'd encourage people to give it a try and if you do, give yourselves a chance to spend a bit of effort to learn the combat system before you write it off, it is a game which you need to invest a little bit into the gameplay mechanics before it will click. In conclusion, it's a good game.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

How's the season pass?

Entirely superfluous and optional the main thing is unlocking new characters easier and earlier. The base game is the whole game and includes all DLC

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

I can't speak to the actual gameplay in FH because I missed the beta, but the thing that strikes me about it, is that I cannot see how they could make a MP/bots only game like that, that would be worth a full price buy. granted there might be more to it than I am aware of, but it sounds like the whole thing should be a secondary mode to a more full featured game.

Fair enough it's expensive but how is it different to any shooting game which is multiplayer focused? It's got plenty of modes and characters and maps and what not and if you enjoy it there will be plenty of longevity at least that's how I feel after playing the beta. There is a single player campaign too if anyone cares

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Playing the actual 4v4 mode it felt like it all boiled down to who can double team the most. The moba-style gameplay almost requires that buildup period where you learn to coordinate as a team even if you're just randos, so without that and just having random teams thrown into the muck, welp

The 1v1 mode would probably have the most depth but that's definitely not the thing they are pushing

Yeah 4v4 dominion would work best if everyone knew their roles in the game, it's not just ganging up on a 2 on 1 tho - essentially there are 3 roles, One the "Vanguards" who are geared towards holding off the AI grunts and controlling the "front" area, The Heavies who should guard the 2 capture points, which boosts the points gained, and the Assassins who try to take back or at least contest the 2 capture points from the other team. Each of these tasks earns more points for those respective classes so you can level up and use special abilities. It's quite fun when the points are swinging back and forth between the two teams and often a team can come back from a precarious position

veni veni veni posted:

Also, I don't consider bot matches a proper campaign personally.

It's not just bot matches, there is a proper campaign. Probably not going to be the longest game but still

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Yakuza 0 is on my list but i'd probably spend most of my time playing the classic sega arcade games

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Do you get some free loot boxes with the season pass?

Yes

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

If you think the games are bad, you should see the movie (I mean you shouldn't see it)

Like 70%+ is set in the modern day DNA labs :nono:

Such a weird choice, we're there to see cool historical parkour stabbing action and we get literally 3 scenes of that. and the climactic action sequence is just a lame fight in the present day lab. what.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Bombadilillo posted:

Its just super weird in a series that established you can fly. Now I go in a car for reasons. And these street thugs made remote control cars so I can guilt free blow them up. Its just dumb and lame.

Reasons? He's batman. He drives the freakin batmobile

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am watching someone play the single player and it looks like botmatches while a voice over monologue plays?

I mean the opponents are computer controlled so in that sense it's a botmatch? but not really. I don't even go for multiplayer shootathons but yeah this is a different beast I find myself wanting to sink my teeth into it and get good at slicing people up online

I'm writing it off because it's a Ubisoft game with a season pass and loot boxes but p2p based multiplayer and Ubisoft seem to be pumping out all these multiplayer games at an incredible rate.

It's been said many times now the season pass they do now has changed in that it's not required for any of the new DLC maps modes etc.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

So it's literally as worthless as the Watch Dogs 2 dlc?

Theres going to be 2 single player expansions for that. It's overpriced to be sure though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Yep, some people just want to dislike it but it's a really high quality, deep game.

And also one of the characters is a big fat samurai sumo man who can execute with his butt by sitting on his opponent