Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Cars that drive themselves are coming soon! :toot:

http://www.driverless-future.com/?page_id=384

Some people think they aren't though :confuoot:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/alanohnsman/2016/09/28/warning-driverless-cars-are-farther-than-they-appear/#36e6e1be17de

This is where we discuss Autonomous Cars. They are cars that drive themselves without the input of a driver.

Autonomous vehicles are classified by levels 0 through 5, 0 being your typical car and 5 being no human involvement besides starting the car and setting the destination. There are cars that are levels 1-3, offering things like automatic parking, retrieval, parallel parking, and advanced cruise control for freeways. Level 4 brings about some problems since drivers often mistake it for a fully autonomous vehicle. Most of the car industry is skipping level 4 and going straight for 5.

We've already had our first death last year: Joshua Brown crashed into a semi while watching harry potter instead of the road, because his Tesla Model S couldn't tell the difference between the white trailer and the white sky.

I generally believe the car industry will have fully automated vehicles on the road within the next 8 years. Some goons disagree. Every car manufacturer has varying estimates, usually around 2018 to 2024, but the farthest estimate is 2032 by some insurance think tank I've never heard of.

Please note, this is a sensitive topic that has derailed related threads before. Be prepared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The main thing I have still read nothing about, but I assume all those Silicon Valley engineers have considered, is what to do about the eye contact and body language element of driving, especially car and pedestrian interaction. Does anyone know anything? Or is the answer just "those things aren't actually necessary for driving"?

Caros
May 14, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

The main thing I have still read nothing about, but I assume all those Silicon Valley engineers have considered, is what to do about the eye contact and body language element of driving, especially car and pedestrian interaction. Does anyone know anything? Or is the answer just "those things aren't actually necessary for driving"?

I suspect it is the latter in conjunction with software to pick up the 'body language' of nearby vehicles rather than their drivers.

For example, lets say we are both at a four way stop. I have right of way, but you are an idiot (sorry) and you keep creeping and clearly intend to go before me even though I came to a stop before you. While I could look at you, see your intent and flip you the bird, the self driving car would recognize the pattern of behavior (a shallow, incomplete stop followed by forward movement) that would suggest you were going to enter the intersection improperly and act accordingly.

Pedestrian interaction I imagine is a lot harder for them to look at, though I suppose the counterpoint to that is that the self driving car is going to react far faster than the driver ever could. I might see someone, on the sidewalk but my brain isn't going to recognize them starting into the road until roughly the point they already have which means that in most cases I can think of, my foot would be going on the break roughly the same time as the computer jamming on it.

At least, that would be the idea going forward I imagine. Right now who the gently caress knows (plenty of people who aren't me, presumably).

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Similarly: body language from traffic cops.

At least initially I suspect there may be high-level input necessary from humans for some situations. High-level as in, "you hit a button on touchscreen when the traffic cop points for you to go" rather than "manually drive car with steering wheel". And you'll undoubtedly need to tell the car where it can park in many situations, like parking garages, where the car can't figure out the rules just by looking at a sign.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Freakazoid_ posted:

I generally believe the car industry will have fully automated vehicles on the road within the next 8 years. Some goons disagree. Every car manufacturer has varying estimates, usually around 2018 to 2024, but the farthest estimate is 2032 by some insurance think tank I've never heard of.

Why do you believe these estimates to be remotely credible? These are just numbers a driverless car program manager pulled out if their rear end that are long enough to not sound stupid, but far enough in the future that they will be doing something else.

This exact thing happened in on of these threads where someone actually used a statement by the google program manager to the effect that they would have something in 2018 or so as proof.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Spazzle posted:

Why do you believe these estimates to be remotely credible?
Because we already have self-driving cars that are fairly capable in regular driving? Waymo is down to an average of 1 disengage per 5,000 miles in California: http://fortune.com/2017/01/08/waymo-detroit-future/

I'm sure they have a ways to go with navigating bad weather and a bunch of weird edge cases, but it seems unlikely that it'll take 15+ years to fix those. Of course it's impossible to prove how long it'll take for some novel tech to develop one way or the other so yeah they're basically educated guesses.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
I can certainly see manufacturers trying to push level 5 vehicles onto the streets in 8 years, but there's no way they actually make it past small test fleets in California suburbs.

I know two Google X employees, and last I checked they have no solid plans on how to deal with things like snow, heavy rain, or fallen leaves (basically anything which obscures their edge detection). They're avoiding those issues until they can demonstrate level 5 in more favorable conditions. But those aren't "edge cases," at least one is absolutely guaranteed to happen virtually everywhere.

ANIME AKBAR fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jan 18, 2017

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Cicero posted:

Similarly: body language from traffic cops.

I'm on my phone so I don't have the article handy at the moment, but I believe Ford (and if not Ford then one of the major automakers) claims to have the problem of traffic hand signals solved. I have a feeling that this kind of thing will mostly be a non-issue over time, though. It seems fairly trivial to just equip flaggers with devices that signal nearby self driving cars when a direction of travel is currently closed.

ANIME AKBAR posted:

I know two Google X employees, and last I checked they have no solid plans on how to deal with things like snow, heavy rain, or fallen leaves (basically anything which obscures their edge detection). They're avoiding those issues until they can demonstrate level 5 in more favorable conditions. But those aren't "edge cases," at least one is absolutely guaranteed to happen virtually everywhere.

I keep saying this in self driving car threads, but Google is not the right company to look at for the bleeding edge here. Ford has already started testing their cars in snow and other inclement weather conditions and claims they'll be ready. I'm sure other automakers have as well, but just aren't being as vocal about it. Google/Waymo started pushing this stuff first, but they aren't the ones dumping money into it now.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

ANIME AKBAR posted:

Google (Waymo now) has already started testing in non-California areas as well.

Paradoxish posted:

I keep saying this in self driving car threads, but Google is not the right company to look at for the bleeding edge here. Ford has already started testing their cars in snow and other inclement weather conditions and claims they'll be ready. I'm sure other automakers have as well, but just aren't being as vocal about it. Google/Waymo started pushing this stuff first, but they aren't the ones dumping money into it now.
What makes you think that? Waymo is even making its own sensors in-house now.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Paradoxish posted:

I'm on my phone so I don't have the article handy at the moment, but I believe Ford (and if not Ford then one of the major automakers) claims to have the problem of traffic hand signals solved. I have a feeling that this kind of thing will mostly be a non-issue over time, though. It seems fairly trivial to just equip flaggers with devices that signal nearby self driving cars when a direction of travel is currently closed.
Google demoed this a while ago as well, it's available in one of their keynote records but there's no way I'll be able to find it now. They detected the major bones in the arms based on the video feed and identified if the person was waving forward, signaling to stop, etc. Again probably wouldn't work as well in the dark during heavy rain or snow but it works under reasonable conditions.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Autonomous cars are a solution in search of a problem. They are essentially a manifest white-techno-nerd destiny. Every single benefit that boosters of driverless cars point out about the technology can be had today using transportation methods that are much less expensive to run, much less carbon intensive to produce, and much less disruptive to existing communities.

Human Transit posted:

Musk assumes that transit is an engineering problem, about vehicle design and technology. In fact, providing cost-effective and liberating transportation in cities requires solving a geometry problem, and he’s not even seeing it. In this he’s repeating a common delusion, one I hear all the time in urbanist and technology circles.

Musk’s vision is fine for low-density outer suburbia and rural areas. But when we get to dense cities, where big transit vehicles (including buses) are carrying significant ridership, Musk’s vision is a disaster. That’s because it takes lots of people out of big transit vehicles and puts them into small ones, which increases the total number of vehicles on the road at any time. The technical measure of this is Vehicle Miles (or Km) Travelled (VMT).

Today, increasing VMT would mean increased emissions and increased road carnage, but let’s say technology has solved those problems, with electric vehicles and automation. Those are engineering problems. Inventors can work on those.

But there is still, and aways, the problem of space. Increasing VMT means that you are taking more space to move the same number of people. This may be fine in low-density and rural areas, where there’s lots of space per person. But a city, by definition, has little space per person, so the efficient use of space is the core problem of urban transportation.

When we are talking about space, we are talking about geometry, not engineering, and technology never changes geometry. You must solve a problem spatially before you have really solved it.

The reigning fantasy of Musk’s argument is that we must always “take people all the way to their destination.” To do this we must abolish the need to ever change vehicles — from a train to a bus, from a car to a train, from a bus to a bike — and of course we also abolish walking. This implies a vision in which buses are shrunk into something like taxis, because a vehicle going directly from your exact origin to your exact destination at your chosen time won’t be useful to many people other than you.

So a bus with 4o people on it today is blown apart into, what, little driverless vans with an average of two each, a 20-fold increase in the number of vehicles? It doesn’t matter if they’re electric or driverless. Where will they all fit in the urban street? And when they take over, what room will be left for wider sidewalks, bike lanes, pocket parks, or indeed anything but a vast river of vehicles?

There are audiences for which Musk’s vision makes perfect sense, people for whom useful high-ridership transit isn’t an option anyway. There are two big categories of these people:

- People who live in outer-suburban and rural areas, where space is abundant and high-ridership transit isn’t viable.
- The top 20% or so of urban residents, who can afford to use relatively expensive services that would never scale to the entire population of the city.

If you are in one of these categories, your most urgent task is to remember that most people aren’t like you, and that cities are impossible if everyone lives according to your personal tastes. As Edward Glaser said, “one’s own tastes are rarely a sound basis for public policy.”

That issue, right there, is the great disconnect between tech marketing and genuine urban problem-solving.

Tech marketing is all about appealing to elite personal tastes. It runs on the assumption that whatever we sell to the wealthy today we can sell to the masses tomorrow. But some things stop working when everybody buys them. Cars in dense cities, for example, are not a problem when only the top 20% are using them; it’s mass adoption of cars that makes them ruinous to a dense city and to the liberty of its citizens. Ask anyone in a fast-growing developing world city about that.

Here is the harm that this all this elite chatter about abolishing the bus is doing: It’s introducing fatal confusion into the discussion of urban development.

Dense cities that want to live in the real world of space and time, and that do not want to become dystopias that are functional only for the rich, need to use urban space efficiently. There is some simple and well-proven math about how to do this, which is also the math of how transit systems achieve high ridership.

These cities need to organize themselves around frequent transit corridors, where big-vehicle frequent transit, bus or rail, can prosper, allowing the city to grow dense without growing vehicle trips.

Someday some of these corridors will be rail or Bus Rapid Transit. But the only way to grow enough corridors quickly, so that you cover much of the city with frequent service that can succeed in ridership terms, is to take frequent fixed-route bus service seriously. If you don’t do that in your land use planning, you’re going to end up building a city where fixed transit is geometrically impossible, and then you’ll have to settle for Musk’s vision. Geometrically, that vision can only mean liberating transportation just for the top 20% or electrified, automated gridlock for everyone.

Smart cities aren’t just the ones that chase the latest technology fads. They’re the ones that think carefully about the spatial, geometric problem that a dense city is. Because if it doesn’t work geometrically, it doesn’t work.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
Have there been any estimates on how much more an autonomous car will cost than a similar non-autonomous one? It seems to me that once they do start hitting the market the price could be a pretty big impediment to widespread adoption.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I did UX for autonomous cars at Ford and they're pushing hard for 2020 or so for fully autonomous.

I work for GM right now, and they don't seem to be pushing hard and are more in a wait and see position/looking more at ride sharing in conjunction with that.

It hugely varies by company, but the plan for the first fully autonomous is still in the early 2020s for the ones really pushing.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Cicero posted:

Because building and selling cars is the primary business of car manufacturers and it's clear that none of them are willing to be left behind on this. A huge number of automakers are currently working on self driving car projects and most of them are estimating consumer availability in 3-5 years. I'm not saying that Waymo isn't doing good work or that they won't release something, but I have a feeling that established manufacturers are going to beat them to actually getting a consumer product out.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
It honestly just seems like such a gimmick for anyone that isn't a taxi company or logistics company. There's no point putting it in consumer vehicles, because all those sensors & crap are going to cost a lot of money, and your convenience increase isn't high enough. For logistics & transit companies, it's also only going to make sense if they're 100% autonomous, so you can get rid of the driver completely. But even if autonomous cars can handle a lot of conditions, and follow well marked roads & etc etc, there are gonna be edge cases where they will just die, because they can't think strategically, or conceptually, in the same way a person can.

But you know where I think this technology is going to work absolutely stunningly? Fixed route buses. If you know the exact route your bus is taking, know your robot bus can handle it perfectly, you don't have to worry about edge cases, then there's no reason to not replace your driver.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

sitchensis posted:

Autonomous cars are a solution in search of a problem. They are essentially a manifest white-techno-nerd destiny. Every single benefit that boosters of driverless cars point out about the technology can be had today using transportation methods that are much less expensive to run, much less carbon intensive to produce, and much less disruptive to existing communities.

Fetishizing trains is like the most autistic nerd thing in the history.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Replace every road with rail track, that will totally work.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

rudatron posted:

It honestly just seems like such a gimmick for anyone that isn't a taxi company or logistics company. There's no point putting it in consumer vehicles, because all those sensors & crap are going to cost a lot of money, and your convenience increase isn't high enough. For logistics & transit companies, it's also only going to make sense if they're 100% autonomous, so you can get rid of the driver completely. But even if autonomous cars can handle a lot of conditions, and follow well marked roads & etc etc, there are gonna be edge cases where they will just die, because they can't think strategically, or conceptually, in the same way a person can.

But you know where I think this technology is going to work absolutely stunningly? Fixed route buses. If you know the exact route your bus is taking, know your robot bus can handle it perfectly, you don't have to worry about edge cases, then there's no reason to not replace your driver.

"I estimate there is a market for no more than fifty computers, globally" "Why would anybody want a computer in their home"

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
stichensis is right, automated cars are like the diet pill of traffic planning - allows you to drive all you want while pretending the inevitable consequences of your decisions will just magically disappear

cars are a super important part of the american lifestyle, so people are consequently really jazzed about the first big new thing in cars in decades! but all of these promises about cars that don't wreck the established social order and actively perpetuate socioeconomic segregation, or allow us all to deal with whatever negative consequence of mass suburbia we can imagine, i mean, these things are a feature of the system

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwA7c_rNbJE&t=162s

watch the above video for predictions of the future? what is a correct prediction? what seems laughably quaint?

people have been trying to automate cars for nearly a hundred years now, with largely the same promises (don't need to pay attention to drive! more efficiency! reduce accidents) and it's interesting that you always see the same optimistic timeframes for adoption even though we have a feasible path forward for a working example of the tech needed

in my view, self driving cars will address exactly two social problems of mass car use - the isolation of older people who are otherwise mobile but can no longer drive, and mass death/injury due to auto accidents. everything else is just overly optimistic futurist idealism

Cicero posted:

google has experience making fancy gadgets. they have no experience making cars

car manufacturers have experience making cars, and some experience making fancy gadgets

it's far more likely that waymo will license its technology than they will ever set up a production line, and that's assuming their tech is that much better than anyone else's

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Fetishizing trains is like the most autistic nerd thing in the history.

odd that the number one blind tech fetishist itt has a grudge against trains. sounds like overcompensation to me

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jan 18, 2017

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

rudatron posted:

It honestly just seems like such a gimmick for anyone that isn't a taxi company or logistics company.

Something like 53% of all Americans identify as suburban and the average one-way commute time is around 25 minutes. If you think there's no value to the average person in having that part of their day automated, then I really don't know what to say other than that your perspective is incredibly limited. People are right to point out that you can already get the benefits of an autonomous car by taking a bus and that this will likely just encourage more car use, but from a consumer perspective autonomous cars are going to be legitimately valuable to a lot of people.

Autonomous cars may not be beneficial (they may even be harmful) on a social level, but they're certainly going to be beneficial on an individual level.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

rudatron posted:

Exactly. The bus route I took to high school never, ever, in the 4 years I used it, had to deal with a broken down car in a lane, a kid struggling with a bike in the bike rack, potholes, road closures due to maintenance or events, cyclists in the lane, or inclement weather. It was a magical sealed environment of Fixed Route perfection.

boner confessor posted:

in my view, self driving cars will address exactly two social problems of mass car use - the isolation of older people who are otherwise mobile but can no longer drive, and mass death/injury due to auto accidents. everything else is just overly optimistic futurist idealism
I'd be interested to see if there's a DUI mode to these things that'll get you home safely. But yeah, it'll be a huge boon to the elderly.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I just leave this here:

http://selfdrivingcars.mit.edu/deeptrafficjs/

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

boner confessor posted:

people have been trying to automate cars for nearly a hundred years now, with largely the same promises (don't need to pay attention to drive! more efficiency! reduce accidents) and it's interesting that you always see the same optimistic timeframes for adoption even though we have a feasible path forward for a working example of the tech needed

A car 100 years ago was a model T with a hand crank starter what are you talking about.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Paradoxish posted:

Something like 53% of all Americans identify as suburban and the average one-way commute time is around 25 minutes. If you think there's no value to the average person in having that part of their day automated, then I really don't know what to say other than that your perspective is incredibly limited. People are right to point out that you can already get the benefits of an autonomous car by taking a bus and that this will likely just encourage more car use, but from a consumer perspective autonomous cars are going to be legitimately valuable to a lot of people.

it really depends on the premium placed on the tech, because it's going to take a while for the tech to have a big impact on society

the first threshold to be passed is when someone releases a viable self-driving technology on the market. this will probably happen in the next decade

the second threshold is when this technology is in common use. this is much further away, given that the average age of a car still being driven in america is 11 years and we can assume that not all new cars will have automatic features. there will be a lot of holdouts - older people resistant to change, people who distrust new technology, poor and young people who can't afford new technology, gearheads and car enthusiasts who refuse to let a machine drive them around, etc. few of the benefits of self driving cars will be evident when they're only 5% of the vehicles on the road

in fact, i think the adoption of self driving cars will be slowed because the merits of the technology won't be practical at first - assume you're one of the few who gets a first or second gen self driver, and you use it to automate your commute. you probably do so illegally, because most jurisdictions will have laws on the books that say "you must pay attention" but you didn't get a self-driving car so that you'd pay attention to the road, so you join the legion of drivers who don't pay attention while they're driving (this is a huge problem with manually operated cars as well). except while playing on your phone or whatever the technology doesn't react well to the 90% of manually operated cars around you and you are injured in a crash. enough stories like this will hurt auto-driver sales and slow the adoption of the technology, specifically because you're not supposed to be doing the number one main thing everyone wants the technology for, removing the tedium of a long commute

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

A car 100 years ago was a model T with a hand crank starter what are you talking about.

so? people were trying to automate them as early as 1926. for someone who blindly worships technology i'm suprised you don't know this

p.s. electric and hybrid cars were both invented a hundred years ago too

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jan 18, 2017

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

quote:

As a cyclist I'd be stoked just about the safety improvements for myself. I got hit twice last year and while I wasn't hurt either time it was pretty terrifying (and my bike got jacked up the first time). In both cases it was just a driver not paying attention as they turned in perfectly normal driving conditions, something even a mediocre self-driving car wouldn't never do.

rudatron posted:

It honestly just seems like such a gimmick for anyone that isn't a taxi company or logistics company. There's no point putting it in consumer vehicles, because all those sensors & crap are going to cost a lot of money, and your convenience increase isn't high enough.
Do you seriously not see the massive convenience advantage of just being able to dick around in the car instead of drive it, or heck, even take a nap? This would be amazing for road trips, plus traffic is waaayyyy less frustrating if you're not actually driving.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

quote:

google has experience making fancy gadgets. they have no experience making cars
It's a good thing they're not making cars then.

quote:

it's far more likely that waymo will license its technology than they will ever set up a production line
Yes, it's far more likely that waymo will do the thing they said they're gonna do than do the thing they said they're not gonna do. Thanks for the brilliant insight there.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Cicero posted:

As a cyclist I'd be stoked just about the safety improvements for myself. I got hit twice last year and while I wasn't hurt either time it was pretty terrifying (and my bike got jacked up the first time). In both cases it was just a driver not paying attention as they turned in perfectly normal driving conditions, something even a mediocre self-driving car wouldn't never do.

there's going to be a rough learning period until self driving cars are safer for pedestrians/cyclists than humans. self driving cars are currently optimized for closed access highway travel, not driving in a complex and dense neighborhood where a majority of human/vehicle interactions take place

Cicero posted:

Do you seriously not see the massive convenience advantage of just being able to dick around in the car instead of drive it, or heck, even take a nap? This would be amazing for road trips, plus traffic is waaayyyy less frustrating if you're not actually driving.

you mean, rotating the driver out? or taking a bus? the biggest and most uneqivocal advantage of self driving cars are convenience to the driver which is interesting juxtaposed for how self driving cars will be marketed, as a benefit to society because it's distasteful to say "i want the convenience of a long point to point commute in a privately owned vehicle without the inconvenience of paying attention to reality"

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Paradoxish posted:

Autonomous cars may not be beneficial (they may even be harmful) on a social level, but they're certainly going to be beneficial on an individual level.
But that's only if you can make it perfectly autonomous, and not require constant human attention. Which is what people are promising, but can they deliver? This tech is going to work really really well in highly ordered & structured environments, and it's going to fail spectacularly in anything outside of that kind of environment, in any situation that requires you to think (which is more often than you may realize). The car companies are going to throw the legal disclaimer of 'yeah you should pay attention anyway' because if they don't, they'll get hit with lawsuits. So what's the point?

I think anywhere you can guarantee a very well structured environment, this tech is going to be a massive money saver. Maybe stuff like warehousing or ports or poo poo like that. Maybe if you have a Bus Rapid Transit system, you can have automated buses that just stick to that rapid transit system, without a driver. That'll go nuts. The promise gets harder to believe the noisier the environment gets though, and I feel like if it can't handle everything, there's no real point in buying it if you're like 90% of consumers, because who knows where you'll go, right?

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Cicero posted:

As a cyclist I'd be stoked just about the safety improvements for myself.

I wouldn't expect self-driven cars to actually be safer to a degree that's more than margins of error.

Better development of buses and light rail > more cars.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Cicero posted:

It's a good thing they're not making cars then.

Yes, it's far more likely that waymo will do the thing they said they're gonna do than do the thing they said they're not gonna do. Thanks for the brilliant insight there.

oh they just said they werent a few weeks ago, pardon me for not keeping up to date on vague promises from tech giants

Agnosticnixie posted:

Better development of buses and light rail > more cars.

this is the practical and useful solution, but it's not nearly as exciting as expecting a shiny new invention to roll in and romantically change society because as first worlders and americans, that's been the experience of the 20th century

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jan 18, 2017

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Cicero posted:

Would you ever ride your bike on rail tracks? How about a lane segregated for bus services? How would you feel as a cyclist if the community you lived in started prioritizing infrastructure for cyclists rather than for vehicles? Like I pointed out, all the benefits of autonomous cars can be had with existing technologies. I for one would be thrilled if we started to orient the way we live around cycling/walking rather than driving. Because as a pedestrian and a cyclist, getting hit by a bike or another pedestrian is going to be a lot less deadly than being hit by a car, autonomous or not.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

boner confessor posted:

there's going to be a rough learning period until self driving cars are safer for pedestrians/cyclists than humans.
I'd bet the best ones are already better on average at noticing and interacting with cyclists than the average human driver.

quote:

self driving cars are currently optimized for closed access highway travel, not driving in a complex and dense neighborhood where a majority of human/vehicle interactions take place
It seriously feels like most of the self-driving detractors here don't actually pay attention to news about these cars. I mean Google has at least been testing the cars in regular, non-highway Mountain View traffic for several years now. Yes they do better on closed-access highways, because those are much simpler environments, but there's been tons of development and testing on surface streets.

quote:

you mean, rotating the driver out? or taking a bus? the biggest and most uneqivocal advantage of self driving cars are convenience to the driver which is interesting juxtaposed for how self driving cars will be marketed, as a benefit to society because it's distasteful to say "i want the convenience of a long point to point commute in a privately owned vehicle without the inconvenience of paying attention to reality"
Both of those things are huge advantages, and luckily they're not in conflict with each other at all so I don't see why you're in a huff about it. You're right that at a legal/societal level we'll talk more about safety and to individual drivers more about convenience; so what?

Agnosticnixie posted:

I wouldn't expect self-driven cars to actually be safer to a degree that's more than margins of error.
Then you don't have a very active imagination, or experience biking. Most cyclist/driver collisions aren't, "oh it was a snowstorm and they could barely see anything" or "there was construction and it was just a weird traffic situation" where self-driving cars currently struggle, they're just normal driving on normal streets where a driver just doesn't look in their blind spot before turning and right hooks someone in the bike lane or something like that. Self-driving cars already have super-human awareness for that kind of thing.

Heck, once the sensors are there, self-driving cars will probably stop you from dooring cyclists, too.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

rudatron posted:

But that's only if you can make it perfectly autonomous, and not require constant human attention. Which is what people are promising, but can they deliver? This tech is going to work really really well in highly ordered & structured environments, and it's going to fail spectacularly in anything outside of that kind of environment, in any situation that requires you to think (which is more often than you may realize). The car companies are going to throw the legal disclaimer of 'yeah you should pay attention anyway' because if they don't, they'll get hit with lawsuits. So what's the point?

You may be right and I don't really want to speculate on something that I don't have detailed insider knowledge about, but it's worth pointing out that this isn't what car companies are claiming right now. Ford is talking about releasing a mass produced, fully autonomous vehicle for ride sharing services in the next four years. It's possible they won't hit that target or that they're just outright lying about their intentions, but the industry has largely decided that Tesla-style "autopilot" is not the way forward and that's generally not what's being promised for the near future. Most car companies intend to skip over the step where you have a car that can drive itself, but only if you're paying careful attention to the road while it's doing so.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Cicero posted:

IThen you don't have a very active imagination, or experience biking.

I have enough of both, along with a healthy dose of cynicism towards nonsense claims from self aggrandizing techno-utopians.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

boner confessor posted:

this is the practical and useful solution, but it's not nearly as exciting as expecting a shiny new invention to roll in and romantically change society because as first worlders and americans, that's been the experience of the 20th century
I love transit but a) unfortunately heavy investment in transit is not nearly as realistic as mandating cars be self-driving after a certain point, and b) even with excellent transit you still end up with some driving (see: Tokyo).

sitchensis posted:

Would you ever ride your bike on rail tracks? How about a lane segregated for bus services? How would you feel as a cyclist if the community you lived in started prioritizing infrastructure for cyclists rather than for vehicles?
I have no clue what you're getting at here. 1. No 2. Hmm I think I'd avoid it? 3. I'd feel great!

quote:

Like I pointed out, all the benefits of autonomous cars can be had with existing technologies. I for one would be thrilled if we started to orient the way we live around cycling/walking rather than driving. Because as a pedestrian and a cyclist, getting hit by a bike or another pedestrian is going to be a lot less deadly than being hit by a car, autonomous or not.
I'm all for that but I also live in the real world where getting highly convenient self-driving technology rolled out is a hojillion times more realistic than Winning The War On Cars. And even walking/biking paradises like Houten still have some driving, there are some use cases where a car is necessary or vastly better than other options.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 8 days!)

Cicero posted:

I love transit but a) unfortunately heavy investment in transit is not nearly as realistic as mandating cars be self-driving after a certain point, and b) even with excellent transit you still end up with some driving (see: Tokyo).

Building a train is mere sci-fi nonsense compared to a car that can drive itself!

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I don't understand this "but what about trains!" thing, who is it directed at? Who is working on cars that should be building trains? As far as I know there isn't any massive government subsidies for self driving cars, and none of the companies building them are also train companies that could be working on their train division.

What resource is being taken from trains by the companies that work on autonomous cars? If ford stopped working on it's cars how would that money get to train development?

Is it that it needs to be a forbidden technology because if we make it people might not use trains? Should it be illegal to research like we are in dune? Or is it just impotent lament that if this happens trains get less attractive so it's sad that it will happen?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Paradoxish posted:

You may be right and I don't really want to speculate on something that I don't have detailed insider knowledge about, but it's worth pointing out that this isn't what car companies are claiming right now. Ford is talking about releasing a mass produced, fully autonomous vehicle for ride sharing services in the next four years. It's possible they won't hit that target or that they're just outright lying about their intentions,

They aren't lying.

Most of their plans for non ride-share have overrides built in for weird-case scenarios.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I think it's more that self-driving cars are of benefit to a ultimately failed model of city geometry, characterized by low density suburban sprawl, that is going to implode in on itself eventually. It's not that car manufacturers are stealing from trains, but that there isn't any political will for transit investment and livable, higher density cities.

I mean, I loving hate cars just because they're dirty and loud. Can you imagine how quiet cities were, before cars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Cicero posted:

I'm all for that but I also live in the real world where getting highly convenient self-driving technology rolled out is a hojillion times more realistic than Winning The War On Cars. And even walking/biking paradises like Houten still have some driving, there are some use cases where a car is necessary or vastly better than other options.

Certainly, I'm not saying that driving should be abolished, it should just start to be de-emphasized. What's worrying to me about a lot of this AV talk is how it is sometimes used as a reason not to invest in transit initiatives and how we must start to think about how our cities should be redesigned to accomodate AV's.

Like this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh7X-UKm9kw

Sure, it looks amazing -- those cars don't even have to stop for traffic lights! But where are the other users? The cyclists, the pedestrians who need to cross? They aren't represented at all. The logical end to this is that we segregate them. Yet this is a type of experiment we've tried before -- and our cities and communities suffered greatly for it, to the point now where we are literally trying to bury them.

• Locked thread