Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ytisomauq
Dec 15, 2000

HJB posted:

Finally, here's The Horn Track by Egyptian Empire, posted not just because I like it, but because it should sound instantly familiar to everyone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_CjeiTHo9Q

Climbatize might be my favorite track from an album of awesome tracks. As one of the latter tracks, I love the anticipation and then finally getting to it on the playlist. I remember watching a TV show years later that used the track during a climatic scene and instantly recognized it.

It's a great driving song, too.

Fat of the Land was a great introduction into the genre for me. I'm a Prodigy loyalist since, but FotL introduction helped me find other great artists, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ytisomauq
Dec 15, 2000

Abugadu posted:

And everything afterwards just felt phoned in, like they would find a hook for the start of a song and be like 'well that's done', they didn't go anywhere with them, just tweaked the hook slightly for ~4 minutes. Every time they come out with a new album I give it a listen, hoping in vain for any of the songs to come close to the a-side stuff from FotL.

I totally agree with you here. Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned could be described exactly this way. I'll say that it's gotten progressively better after that: Invaders Must Die was an improvement over AONO, and The Day is My Enemy is better than IMD. None quite capture the same feeling as The Fat of the Land, but I find myself returning to IMD and TDIME still.

ytisomauq
Dec 15, 2000

freudorbison posted:

I think that ultimately, like with anything old and unpopular - Fat of the Land would have to be put into a very different context to be massively appreciated again.

Say/think what you will about the genre generally and the remix, the Numbernin6 dubstep remix of Breathe is something old in a different context. It's the right kind of freshness, I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gD_d1Vl7uAk

ytisomauq
Dec 15, 2000

HJB posted:

I had a little look and couldn't find much in the way of a (decent) creative remix of Climbatize, which is how you can tell the original got it spot on first time.

I was curious to track down the list of movies and tv shows that have used Climbatize, and ended up with a WhoSampled link with the Jedi Knights:

http://www.whosampled.com/sample/19937/The-Prodigy-Climbatize-Jedi-Knights-Air-Drums-From-Outer-Bongolia/

This is old news but just fascinating, but...on topic, I actually appreciate what Prodigy did with the sample over the original song. Climbatize is such a good track.

ytisomauq
Dec 15, 2000

HJB posted:

Another middle of the road track for the middle of the album? Okay that's a bit harsh, it's pretty good, but not quite up to the standards the big hitters set.

That might be spot on, though. It's good enough you don't skip over it while the album is playing but not too great as you go and seek it out on it's own. It's been a while since I had listened to it that I needed a quick refresher to remember the song :(

ytisomauq
Dec 15, 2000

david_a posted:

Easily my favorite track on the album. It feels like it builds off of tracks like Weather Experience and the Narcotic Suite.

The Narcotic Suite comparison is spot on, especially with HJB mentioning how Narayan transitions well into the next track. When FOTL came out, I was a big Breathe fan (thanks, MTV), but Narayan/Firestarter/Climbatize became my favorite tracks as I continued to listen to the album.

ytisomauq
Dec 15, 2000

financially racist posted:

It helped me discover a lot of other great music and I still listen to it from time to time. Great album.

Totally this. It's comments like this I wish there was just a "thumbs up" button.

:hfive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ytisomauq
Dec 15, 2000
A seriously awesome journey in an awesome thread. Well done sir.

Fuel My Fire isn't a track I skip over (not the best endorsement), but I can see how opinions can wane. It's not the best ending track, but on its own it's not bad.

• Locked thread