Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
I beat the game last night. I love this game. I will shout from the rooftops to get more people to play this game.

Reading this thread made me realize how much stuff I missed. After some time passes, the re-play though is going to be great.

Also, I just want to say how much I loved the line from Angus about parties.

"You know how you want to just go and stand in a corner sometimes? Gregg is my corner."

God, I just went "Awwwww" with Mae for like a solid minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Opposing Farce posted:

Scott Benson linked an episode of the podcast "The Short Game" about Night in the Woods on Twitter, and listening to their discussion made me realize something about why the ending is the way it is.

Some people don't like that the supernatural stuff is "real" and not just part of Mae's psychosis or whatever, but I realized that the reason it doesn't bother me that stuff is real, the reason I actually prefer it that way, is because the things Mae is reacting to actually are real. Like, the crushing sense of ennui? The feeling that nothing matters and you have no future? The big black void of hopelessness and despair that lies just underneath the town? That's, like, real. That exists in real life. It's not an eldritch horror from beyond the void in real life, but it's still a very real feeling a lot of people share, just like throwing young people and poor people and immigrants under the bus in a vain attempt to preserve a past that is never coming back and barely even existed in real life is a very real thing a lot of people do. Externalizing those things in the form of the cosmic horror death cult stuff is important because it acknowledges that these things Mae's reacting to, the feeling that nothing matters and there is no future, that isn't something she's imagining up out of nothing, it's a response to very real social and economic pressures that a lot of young people just like her are feeling right now. Mae's got issues, and those issues would exist even if everything was fine and dandy in Possum Springs, but money problems make everything worse and the lack of a stable support system (which her friends start to become by the end) and non-terrible mental health services (which she hopefully finds) absolutely turns a condition that she could have learned to cope with and manage into something crippling. I feel like it would've been kind of cheap and lovely to sort of fall back on "it's all just in her head" when a lot of it really isn't, and though some people find it abrupt I honestly think the turn into cosmic horror works because it presents those big invisible socioeconomic pressures as terrifying and legitimate and real as they actually are.

I agree.

I look at it like this. There were inevitably going to be two roads for this story was going to have to go down at the end. It either is or is not in her head. I think the writers here are good enough to get a poignant message off with either story branch ending to be honest. If its all in her head, it reinforces the mental trauma Mae has and has carried throughout her life. It manifests in different ways and bends her reality accordingly. Until she confronts it and it's manifestations, she really cannot move on. Her coming home is seen as her finally having to deal with it as it is crippling and killing her future. Mental health, or the lack thereof in her rural town, is a part of this story and many of her friends and neighbors are struggling with it themselves in different but similar ways. The idea that the big bad in her head is linked to the town would be a good point to make. That all said, the other choice is the one they took which is the path of the unknowable, unfeeling, all-destroying elder god. I liked it simply because it was strange and yet makes sense on reflection. The "in her head" path is one well-trod in video games or other mediums so it was nice to see the enemy being an actual thing. By making it this thing, you are right that the writers can link it to dozens of different things from mental health to the death of the American dream to just basic good ol'fashion death cults. By it being real, you can project whatever you want onto it whereas otherwise you'd just be projecting onto Mae. Both can work honestly, but I think this path is more interesting.

I will have to check out that Podcast. Thanks!

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
I've actually got a lot out of my second play through. Things like Mae visiting the well the night she sees the ghost or how the conversation with Cat god makes a bit more sense (though not much). Seeing both sides does flesh out the game a bit.

I'm not going to argue that the ending comes a bit out of nowhere no pun intended, but the second time through, I did enjoy seeing some of the breadcrumbs for what they are.

I've enjoyed a few Let's Play videos of the game to help me see some of the stuff I missed. Voidburger has been fun and she is two runs to show off both sides. Not going to lie, being able to skip about in the videos was nice. The game really could use a bit of a NG+ mode.

As much as I dig the music in the dreams, I do not want to do them again.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Macaluso posted:

I actually find it hard to watch a lot of lets plays of this game, because people don't realize you can keep interacting with someone or something to keep getting dialogue, and they just... ignore when a journal thing pop ups at the bottom right. I think most people assume it's a saving icon??

I'm not going to lie, it was pretty rough as I don't watch a lot of Let's Plays so I don't get why so many people seem to do certain things, like try to voice characters or what have you. Its a strange little subculture. But every once in a while I like to see other peoples reactions to certain events in games so I will seek them out.

That said, I really enjoyed Voidburger and Slowbeef's Let Plays as they are pretty chill goons in general, and Voidburger did way more stuff than I did in my first run through so that was good. I did watch one of the more popular (I guess as they had like 15million subs) play a bit. He had the usual facecam thing and did voices, with Gregg sounding like Junkrat from Overwatch so that was something. It was interesting if nothing for the comments as I think those players tend to attract a younger audience so the comments were interesting to me regarding the overall queer content, though the signal to noise ratio was abysmal but that's normal really, as I'm getting into teaching and curious to see what people in that age group think. Still, those kind of players always seem so ultra-caffeinated I don't blame anyone for avoiding them. Also, Let's Plays are a bit silly in general.

Paul Zuvella posted:

A bunch of people in Possum Springs are probably Juggalos.

Lori is definitely one.

I think there is a shirt in the UREVOLUTION store in the mall that is a Juggalo reference.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Incredible.

"The party is going great!"

Crazy Ferret fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 23, 2017

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
Ya know? The game does invoke the Black Goat at the Historical Society House. That elder god is referred to as the Black Goat with a Thousand Young. Mae is proud of her pestilent offspring. Maybe she really is a prophet of the apocalypse (which should of been the 4th band song assuming she accepted the cultist's offer). Who knows, I'm going off this nonsense; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shub-Niggurath

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Martytoof posted:

Awesome, thanks. Now I know what I'm watching at work tomorrow.

Also, is there any point to the town notice board other than to bounce the ball around? I stopped checking after a while, not sure if I missed anything important.

Started hanging out with Gregg. I really love Gregg but I'm frustrated that all my discussions with him are really surface so far.

I never noticed anything new with the town notice board.

I adore Gregg. He is a fun character but he really feels like the perfect second run-through character.

His conversation about his up up and down down days combined with him wanting to return to his old ways once Mae comes back into his life are just great characterizations, especially when you see it as a mirror/foil towards Mae. It just gets better when you hang out with Angus and do the Doughnut Wolf outing and you realize what impact Mae has on him and how he wants to grow as a character, as well as his and Angus's relationship. I think Bea is more central to Mae's character and the overall arc of the game but damned if Gregg (and Angus really) are not a great story in its own right. I think there is a lot of enjoy about Gregg's character, but I think you really need to hang out with him and Angus to get the full impact.

I will say that I think his ghost exploration story is the worst though.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Martytoof posted:

I presume I'll get all those stories if I just keep hanging out with him over Bea, right? I already got the food donkey crimes thing which I didn't first runthrough and it was fun as heck :3:

Yep!

You are in for some good times.

Crimes.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

poemdexter posted:

GREGG RULES OK?!

Also, I modeled, 3D printed, and painted Angus.

https://twitter.com/poemdexter/status/849274760726970368

This rules. You rule ok?!

Also, to echo...

Martytoof posted:

Holy moly I very much want one of all the gang.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
A week or so ago, I got nice and drunk while playing Battlefield 1 and floating the internet on my other computer monitor. I blew up some tanks, had a good time and went to bed. I checked my email the next day and found out that I apparently ordered some Night in the Woods t-shirts off Redbubble.com that I was completely unaware of. Yay surprise presents!

Figured I'd share

and my favorite:

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

kidcoelacanth posted:

Those look nice and all but maybe wait until the official merch is out and you can support the devs instead of some randos swiping their IP

This is completely true. That said, I have no waking memory of buying these and I do like the designs. Also, I convinced some friends to buy the game so I feel like I'm helping as best I can.

I'm glad to hear there is some more official stuff coming.

Crazy Ferret fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Apr 9, 2017

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

exquisite tea posted:

Well I think the message of the game, if there is one, is that while life is ultimately meaningless, it's still important and necessary not to lose our humanity. That's why I think a character like the janitor resists any supernatural interpretation, because that would be ascribing some grander kind of design to a dude who just fixes doors. He's one of the few characters in the story who actualizes his sense of purpose, which I guess is so uncommon in Mae's world that it could be construed as some kind of superpower.

I think this is a valid reading but for a game that embraces its supernatural leanings in a subtle way, its hard not to attach those characteristics to this kind of character.

He is there at the very beginning of the game by being the very first person we meet who asserts his control over our reality with fixing the door so we can leave the train station and over our character with having to get a soda for him to continue the game. He calls himself a forest god during a play which you can choose to discard as a bit of fantasy but it fits as god who is caring but distant to borrow the game's language. Also, he is present when Mae gets "shot". It is as if he facilitates the transition from the church, a place of worship, to the hospital, a place of science so to speak, where he fixes doors. This also echoes the language of the cat god we meet just before this scene and how the god speaks of shutting a tear in the veil, which can be seen as "fixing a door". The bit at the end of the game where he knows Mae's name despite not having been told it as a bit too much of a hint of the supernatural to take for granted.

In the end, I like the idea of the Janitor being something of the supernatural because its mirrors Mae's journal entry nicely. She says she could be a janitor and like the job and in a sense, as she has being "dealing" with the cultists accordingly. She is not so much killing them as cleaning them up though this is still couched in semantics. She may not have solved the problem that is Possum Springs, but she has made it a bit more honest by removing the Dad Murder Cult. By having her identify with this character, its shows a nice connection between Mae and the problems she has been having. I can't help but feel its a nice touch at the end of the story and wraps things up nicely.

Crazy Ferret fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Apr 10, 2017

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I like Super Best Friends a whole lot and I laughed several times during their LP, guess that makes me a bad person

They are not bad and I'm actually enjoying it. I feel like discovering an entire world of LP'ers thanks to this game.

Some good, some bad, but the reaction to the game and some of the cuter lines is usually worth it.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Paul Zuvella posted:

Seconding this, Proximity is really the highlight of the game imo.

I love Gregg to death but drat if the Bea route is not just a more satisfying and well told story.

Gregg is a great second run-though path though, especially with the themes of moving on and growing up. It's a great way to "end" the game if you've already played through Bea's side.

Also, yay! More Night in the Woods! Looks like a new song as well!

Edit: There is also new Merch up in the store. New shirts, pins and stickers. The Gregg shirt is definitely on my Christmas list.

Crazy Ferret fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Oct 30, 2017

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
I'd love to see another scene with Lori M in particular. She is just a fascinating character for the brief snippets we get especially cause it seems she is "next" with regards to the ending's plot, as so far as being affected. Also, she is pretty adorable.

I know its late in the game's life for spoilers but hey. Her weird thoughts and odd fascinations with horror movies. Her anxiety. I really like the railroad scenes in general and the feeling of angst that accompanies them. She reminds me of Mae in a lot of ways. I cannot help but think some of her issues are related to Monster singing to so speak and her only just starting to hear it.

It may ruin the mystery a bit, but I'd like another scene with her character.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

eatenmyeyes posted:

Wounds and Proximity are probably my favorites.

These are pretty much the high points of the game. I got strong feelings for the Mall sequence as well as Doughnut Wolf but those two bits are equally the best.

Wounds really hit me hard just due to being a gay dude with self-esteem issues. When Gregg starts talking all fast about being trash, Ugh, it breaks me every time. It does not hurt that Gregg and Mae on the long bike ride over there is the prettiest part of the game for me.

Proximity is wonderful tho. The dancing just nails the adorable nature of this game, same with Mae getting hit on. The finale with Bea and "Best Available Friends" is just the soulful core of the game.

Man, this announcement just sucked me right back into this game. I cannot wait to play it again. Thank god it gets released after I finish student teaching. I will have free time and all new angst to take with me into the game.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Macaluso posted:

He calls himself that compared to Angus cause he's a guy who does crimes and does dumb crazy poo poo like play knife stabby in the woods or break into buildings and Angus is a good wholesome responsible boy

All this plus Gregg has some mental issues. His dialogue in that section hints at bipolarism and I would not be shocked to find things like depression in there as well. I'm no mental health expert though.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Larryb posted:

So how are the prequel games handled? Are they their own separate thing or have they been grafted onto the main story somehow?

They are listed in an Extra menu along with some great concept art. I've not unlocked all the concept art.

So far, I've seen new characters including one that says she will explain more about Mae's grandfather (nothing revealed yet), and Die Anywhere Else had some new graphical flourishes I think. Also, it feels like the band sections are a lot more reasonable. I felt it was way less punishing with both the gang and the new song selection mode in Mae's room.

Also, Mae starts with a new song unlocked called "Space Dragon" which rocks.

A good update thus far!

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
Fans do create a lot of neat things for this game but this is pretty impressive animation for a fan-project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r-gwpATLp4

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Master Twig posted:

The news has been pretty upsetting me. There's been a lot of people who have turned out to be monsters, but, it's like, whatever. I enjoyed Louis CK Comedy and Kevin Spacy films, but like, whatever. Not watching their stuff any more is no big deal. With pretty much every person for whom MeToo has exposed, cutting their stuff out is no problem. Very little of it had any real effect on me.

But Night in the Woods is a game I could replay over and over, and I listen to the music from it all the time. It's perfect music to put on while relaxing and working on something. I connected with the story in a real way. Something I love and cherish has been tainted and I don't know if I can ever enjoy it the same again.

But I'm going to try.

I just have to make it personal. Without spouting "Death of the Author" into the heavens, I'm going to enjoy Night in the Woods for what it meant to me. It helped me through a really rough patch last year during my first year of teaching. It helped me wrap my head around a lot of things that had been swirling around me during that chaotic time and continues to help me to this day. The soundtrack is so good and so iconic to the game that it feels impossible to separate it. I can simply say that they come from a troubled person with awful allegations attached to them that will never get some kind of resolution. It sucks even more now that the ghouls are out, desperate to use it to score some kind of points.

Everything about this sucks cause it's tied to a property that comes from a very personal space. That said, the game is still great and the points it makes are still impactful and valuable. Finding Bea is still a great track. The fan art/animations that came out with this game are still great. I'm just going to focus on those good things.

Man, I hope this makes sense cause I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around all of this. I despise this shameful aspect of "gamer" culture and this is legitimately the last game I want wrapped up in that ugly, shallow world.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Larryb posted:

Honestly the game should have had more Angus hangouts. Lori was also a really good character that should have played a somewhat bigger role in my opinion.

Agreed. Especially considering I feel like it is hinting that she is the next one the Black Goat is whispering too.

While Bea is absolutely the route to take in this game to experience all the themes and ideas the game is presenting, Wounds is just a wonderful scene. The visuals are gorgeous, the music is great, and Gregg's storyline is a great foil to Mae in a lot of ways.

I still need to go back and do another run through of the game with all the Weird Autumn stuff

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Larryb posted:

Out of curiosity, what makes you think this?

God its been ages since I played but if I remember right, She talks about the same kind of mood swings (doesn't she like hold her head and go all "Arghhhh" a few times) that Mae has. She talks about being followed but that can be explained as simply the cult taking a predatory interest. She has that wonderful bit about wanting to be a monster that feels in line with Mae's mindset. I swear she mentions her grandmother having similar visions but I might be confusing that character with someone else.

This is built on fuzzy memory but I always thought of Lori has a younger Mae. Maybe a bit more put together, but I felt like the story was hinting that she was having a lot of the same "pressures" so to speak placed on her.

Edit: That's some cool analysis Acebuckeye13. Seeing them as Wants versus Needs is interesting

Crazy Ferret fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Sep 3, 2019

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Tender Bender posted:

Considering the entire bullshit excuse for gamergate, that Zoe received positive coverage from a journalist she was sleeping with, literally didn't happen, I'd say you're right.

They never have cared about the facts and will continue to not care to justify their sad anger. No amount of evidence is gonna help.

That said, this is motivating me to play another run through the game. Its been a while since I've failed miserably at band songs and I've really wanted to go back and do the Rat Children quest line.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Oh man, that art style is just fantastic. The music as well. Super excited to see this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
Man, this sucks! I was just rambling on about this game and it's themes to my buddies this weekend.

I was so excited to just the art style again.

I hope all involved get better though.