Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

parallelodad posted:

I am hoping they take some time and let more interesting and fleshed out speedrun strategies develop rather than rush one by June just to have it in the marathon.

Well, even if this years SGDQ has BOTW, that doesn't mean that they can't just add the game again to a future GDQ roster when the speedrun gets significantly re-routed. Or that you couldn't just watch the speedruns yourself outside of GDQ as the run develops. Speedruns don't live or die by GDQ.

Besides, if the first run itself was 5+ hours already, there's a chance they wouldn't accept it anyways, so I don't think there's going to be any issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

hopeandjoy posted:

Game Freak is too small a studio to do that without a ton of help so I doubt it.

FWIW, Breath of the Wild also had a collaboration in it to make it possible, since Monolith Soft helped the Zelda team with the open world level design.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

LethalGeek posted:

Sorta but the first Zelda was trying to be what botw is, so this isn't really that different from how Zelda started. More like the last couple went Meh and now it's all holy crap THIS is what we wanted.

I don't think anyone is clamoring for Metroid to go back to Metroid 1, though.

And even if you meant Super Metroid, it's not like they forgot, cause Zero Mission is just another expansion upon that.

The metroid prime series changed things a lot with the first person perspective, but the original elements of movement-based-gating level design, lots of platforming+shooting gameplay, and general atmosphere of isolation always stayed the same. You just actually had a map.

If "lack of hints" is what is being questioned here (like in Zelda), you could already turn off/ignore the hints in most later Metroid games to basically the same degree as Botw. Even the more guided games like Fusion/Prime 2/Zero Mission still gave you lots of room to explore each area to progress and didn't tell you where everything was. Only Prime 3 and Other M were where you basically were explicitly guided the entire way through.

Prime 3 deviated by being more story focused and making the areas less intertwined (cause it was separate worlds that always required your ship to travel between), but those original principles were largely still there. Other M is where they tried to deviate, but they still tried to aim for these elements clearly (and ended up failing).

It worked for Zelda cause that franchise clearly evolved in a different direction from the original from "sparse hints and direction" to "hand holds the entire experience". Metroid has evolved but it's clearly had it's sights on the same elements, even if they've experimented with the recent ones.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Tender Bender posted:

Although for handhelds Link Between Worlds is great and I'd listen to an argument in favor of it for best Zelda game.

Hey

Minish Cap was also a good game

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

il serpente cosmico posted:

The aforementioned OHKO regardless of gear, and the huge HP pool these guys have does not make that feel like a legitimate solution.

Seemed about the same to me, but then again, I didn't upgrade my HP ever or use any health refill/defense boost things throughout the entire game, so everything OHKO'ing was the norm.

il serpente cosmico posted:

I don't mind dying. I've died dozens of times in BOTW. The only ones that felt cheap were in that section. The game uses death to teach you that you something about it's world: Don't equip metal in a lightning storm. Don't use fire in a grass field that you intend to stand in. Don't run out of stamina when you're climbing a cliff face. The deaths in that section teach you nothing because that section has it's own set of rules. It's poor design.

"Don't get caught in the middle when sneaking in enemy territory"? I don't get why getting caught in a stealth section is any more arbitrary than "Don't using X weapon type in Y area type".

It also isn't the first/only stealth section of the game.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

AlphaKeny1 posted:

I'm kinda convinced that people who seemingly really hate botw are trolls or that they seriously have something wrong with them? Like the cnet switch reviewer who said the kickstand was terrible, except this time its botw.

Or maybe some people just like different kinds of video games.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

VideoGames posted:

The problem with Zelda reviews and the reactions to them is the same problem the world is currently locked within.
Everyone seems so very polarised on all sides of issues that there are large fragments of ideas and viewpoints that seem to cause friction against others. I wish this wasn't the case. I wish we (the royal we) could be a bit more willing to accept where an idea is not black and white, but many shades of context. Zelda is a small microcosm of it. For some people it truly is the best game ever. For some people it's dumb and bad and nothing compared to previous titles.

Not that I have a problem with your general message here, but I wanted to clarify one point

I know you probably are speaking from the perspective of a mod that has to sift through tons of poo poo here, but criticism doesn't exist solely from the perspective of thinking the game "dumb and bad" or not as good as the previous titles. The only negative responses/critiques I've paid attention to so far are Jim Sterling's, that Super Bunnyhop video there, and my own. And each of us liked the game a lot? Sterlings review still was mostly praise about the gorgeous design, the Bunnyhop video still called it GOTY, and I still am really loving a lot about the game and want to 100% + play the dlc and don't regret it. But we all have our issues, and none of us share much of the same complaints.

What I mean to say is, it feels kinda unfair that even in your generalization up there, you yourself seem to be filtering out sides and think that criticism exists at another end of the spectrum and that we have to reach across a far ways to accept it. Yeah there are people who love it, and there are people who hate it, and that won't change. But there really are people who sit in the middle (like me) and little acknowledgement is given to that, so we end up being pushed to the extreme sides anyways.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

VideoGames posted:

I do apologise if you thought I was being unfair to you personally. It was truly not my intent.

Nah I didn't mean to sound like you were targeting me or leaving me specifically left out. Sorry about that.

Wheany posted:

Isn't that how experience works in pretty much every game?

Systematically, it's how a lot of games worked naturally since higher levels -> more exp, which then begets more exp -> fight tougher enemies. Specific to the Paper Mario example though, is that exp can actually scale so that the same enemies you fight give less EXP when you are higher leveled. There are still a lot of other RPGs that do this, but it is currently not used as much.

Not to mention that you don't even need to grind a lot of RPGs with experience points anyways, so that complaint is still weird...

Takoluka posted:

I do side quests to interact more with the world. I want to hear what people have to say. I don't really care if giving them bugs gives me rupees.

Yeah, basically this. Sidequests imo are at their best when they enrich the world and characters (which is also one of my complaints, since I personally didn't find enough of the sidequests engaging or fulfilling, much like the Bunnyhop video pointed out).

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Tender Bender posted:

Also, I couldn't actually do the pre-requisite because it has a random chance to appear on the mission board, and I was never lucky enough to see it appear.

I was looking into this myself recently, and you can just re-look at the mission board while you're there to reload in different missions to select from, and you'll eventually get the mission you're looking for. It's still a dumb and unnecessary system, but it's not that bad.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Tender Bender posted:

My actual complaint about motion controls is that they're the only way to wave around metal boxes fast enough to hurt dudes in BotW, and it's tough to reliably do it horizontally with detached joycons and seems impossible when attached in handheld mode.

Chiming to say that this is completely untrue @ motion controls being the only way to wave boxes fast enough to hurt enemies. I used magnet to pick up things to trample enemies with like all the time with the normal controls. When I tested just now, the only real benefit I found with motion controls was you could get a some hits slightly faster from 0 momentum, but it's a pretty slight difference if you are playing smart. You can use the analogue sticks just fine.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Takoluka posted:

The Wii U version runs slightly better due to optimizations for that specific console, so

The Digital foundry comparison says otherwise. For an anecdotal note, I've talked frequently with one of my friends who has the Wii U version and his testimony supported the conclusion from the video as well. I've not heard any other sources that have said Wii U is better, so where are you getting this from?

Takoluka posted:

That's absolutely untrue in certain towns and environments, even in Airplane Mode.

It's untrue that portable mode is flawless, but it is definitely true that it runs the best of the 3 options.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Takoluka posted:

I could be wrong here, but speed runners have basically been using the Wii U version due to shorter load times and less frame drops in key areas.

Looking it up, this only appears to be due to the fact that the WIi U loads faster, not from frame drops. The load time difference apparently accounts for 31s*, 16 of which is just in the Great Plateau from the Shrines/warping to shrines. Even in the comparing runs I'm seeing between Switch/Wii U runs, Wii U is showing more frame drops than the Switch version (the current WR any% Wii U run even had a second freeze, which I don't see in this other Switch run I'm looking at).

Which basically just says that the frame drops, while they occur a bunch, don't matter much in the end for the speedrunners. But, I'd argue that for every other player, they'd probably take the 2s slower shrine load times for better performance. Or at the very least, I would for casual play.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Dr Cheeto posted:

Mipha is like nails on a chalkboard though.

I'm okay with Mipha's VA mostly.

But it is true, the VA in Zelda is really bad all around. A bunch of the potentially cool story bits get flubbed either from the poor performance or weirdly off-timed lines in the writing.

Dr Cheeto posted:

Regarding Zelda, a lot of her lines that I found early in the game were a bit silly and bad, but later on I found her performance actually pretty good. Perhaps it was a problem with direction?

I'm the opposite. The more I saw of Zelda, the worse she got. The only time I really liked her was in the Hyrule Castle memory

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
She's a huge tech nerd but decides to skip proper research protocol and force feed Link a live frog. At least cook the thing first!

edit: I guess it's technically a spoiler

Ventana fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Mar 28, 2017

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Vikar Jerome posted:

yeah and ruins cooking. 5 of the same thing with the same buff will result in a tier 3 long length buff.

Not quite true, this works for some things but not others. For example, I got this to work with 5x Stealth Mushrooms, but 5x Stealth plants only gave me a 10m lv1 stealth boost.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Supercar Gautier posted:

From what I've read, one of the legal lines around emulation is whether you do it via legitimate reverse-engineering or by working directly off of the company's internal documentation, and in fact one of the potential issues with cemu is that nobody knows whether they're doing the latter.

Pretty much, yeah. This distinction came up in the latest Gaming Historian video where he went over old retail emulators that anyone interested should look at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGHul1PrXCE

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Stux posted:

the crash bandicoot trilogy for ps4 which is replacing absolutely everything in the games in terms of assets but keeping the level layouts identical and bringing it all up to 4k is a remaster. remake vs remaster is a category however where yes, you could say trying to differentiate between the two may simply come down to semantics. however comparing that to a port absolutely isnt just "semantics".

This is a side point to the original argument this came up in, but tbh I really don't see at all why anyone should believe that the N Sane trilogy isn't a remake. Pretty much everything I've seen and read about what they plan to do for the collection sounds more or less like the remakes that Nintendo already does (not so much Majoras Mask 3D, but definitely closer to Ocarina of Time 3D and Star Fox 64 3d) or looking at the Halo 1 remake or etc.

Like, if anyone were to read only this quote from the director of the collection:

quote:

Using the original level geometry from Naughty Dog as a guide, we rebuilt the Crash gameplay from scratch, capturing its simplicity and precision. As the levels began to take shape, we layered in our own lush and zany art, animation, and audio.

I'd figure that most people would read this as remake rather than remaster given the words "rebuilt" and "our own art/animation/audio". Looking up Video Game Remake in wikipedia pretty much lines up with this too, and even the section for Video games on the Remasters article brings up how nebulous the term applies to video games.*

The only thing that really says it's a remaster is just cause Vicarious Visions seem to be calling it that themselves as a "remaster plus". Which is a super dumb term that sounds like it's purely marketing (which we've seen a lot here, given that this is the Nintendo thread).

*Obviously, Wikipedia isn't the end-all-be-all of definitions here

s.i.r.e. posted:

Make an extremely good game even though it wasn't the standard BK platformer? Nuts and Bolts owned.

Even taking Nuts and Bolts as it's own thing, the game is still rather tedious and never really fun to control imo. I'm super mixed on Rare platformers, but even I think Nuts and Bolts really just wasn't doing anything good execution wise.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Millions posted:

Cave Story+ has couch co-op with P2 as Curly Brace, holy poo poo

13:30 on this vid https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=876&v=uauqF_YSbFk

That's pretty cool, makes me want to pick up Cave Story for a 3rd time. Wish it included online though.

Sadly, apparently the port here doesn't include the original graphics anymore which really bums me out. It includes the 3 OSTs at least (original, +, 3D).

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

tips posted:

I kind of want to play it but I don't like the odds of there being actual platforming vs the devs shotgunning collectables over every stage DK64 style and calling it a day.

Hell I'm just going to play it anyway, I already played as the funny nintendo monkey and collected 100 bananas, unlocked the second funny monkey did it again, and backtracked through every stage repeating the process for every hilarious animal mascot, my life is forfeit at this point.

While the reviews are pointing out flaws, it doesn't look like any flaw is close to the frustrations of DK64. It just looks like the camera sucks and the boss fights suck mostly.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Astro7x posted:

Oh, so like Zelda? I guess I should just never play that game again then...

Zelda doesn't really have much precision of anything, so there's not much worry for frame drops messing up timings of things. There are some tricky jumps for certain sequence break-y things like this but you don't even get frame drops in shrines anyways so there's no argument.

The case is potentially different for a normal platformer. If I'm on a tricky jump and the game starts lagging to poo poo and it messes up my jump and I die/lose a lot of progress cause you fall into a pit or down to the ground level, that's when it will start to be a problem. And because it's a platformer tricky jumps are probably going to happen frequently.

Also doesn't really excuse that it'll still make the game look like poo poo if it can't stay consistent (this includes Zelda).

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

C-SPAN Caller posted:

True but I was hoping for more since I would like to play a platformer not named Mario that was really really good. This seems to fall below some indie platformers despite its pedigree.

I don't really see a lot of highly-rated 3D indie platformers out there, so I'm not sure what you're comparing it to.

Not to mention what reviews are basically saying is, "It's a Rare platformer", which sounds like it's living up to it's pedigree, no?

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Yikes A Zombie! posted:

I might be the biggest Shovel Knight fan here but dudes, the Plague Knight control mechanics are mad frustrating. I mean, this seems like a fun mechanic, but jesus it's tough get good.

parallelodad posted:

It's charging an attack, jumping, releasing charge, attacking again. It's a little convoluted. Specter Knight is miles better.

It's actually Held Charge -> Jump + Release Charge + Double Jump. Though you can throw in an attack somewhere after the explosion jump for additional air time (or to go for a second explosion jump).

It's also not very convoluted and is quite simple. You just have a Double Jump + an extra explosion jump that you put anywhere you want. Holding a button charge is normal in platformer gameplay (Mario, Metroid, Megaman games past 3, etc), so here the charge is a combination of an attack + jump. Even if you mess around with the charge jump in normal gameplay, the normal explosion will usually cover you from enemies so you mostly don't have to worry.

It might take a couple of minutes to grasp it well, because it isn't at all what Shovel Knight played like and you'll need to understand how the explosion jump arc works and where to place it. That and the fact that Plague Knight doesn't have close range attacks, so you need to bomb everything from afar. But when you do grasp it, it feels like it has a lot more freedom than Shovel Knight and then you'll be zipping around the normal levels in no time. And just because controls take a little time to learn does not mean they are bad/convoluted in the slightest.

I couldn't really get much invested in base Shovel Knight cause he's pretty stiff and doesn't have a lot going on. Plague Knight, on the other hand, I immediately loved and clicked with and could just mess around with jumping mechanics for a while. I had more issue with the close range vs bomb change than the changes to jump.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
It's okay to not like things.

It's a different story to say, "I hope they stop wasting their time and resources on certain thing I dislike".

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

InFlames235 posted:

Guys, what do I do? I can easily go beat Ganon right now but don't want Zelda to be over :(. I am about to get level 4 barbarian gear, don't rly care to 100% the shrines or Korok seeds cuz Link already feels OP without that. I'm down to get the Hylian shield but other than that, I'm pretty much at the end. Do I just suck it up and kill the fucker? I guess Mario Kart is out in a couple short weeks...

Just go and kill all the strong enemies in the overworld (Lynels and etc), or do all the sidequests since those aren't shrine quests.

Or you could just do another run and do things differently? Different order, low health, or just go straight to Ganon.

Idk, saying "I don't want the game to be over but I don't want to do any of the things left in the game" is kinda limiting it on yourself.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Nephzinho posted:

Shovel Knight is one of the best games of recent memory and the Specter Knight campaign is Switch exclusive and amazing.

Specter Knight is out on pc now

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
For people talking about Digital vs Physical on Switch, does the Switch still have the "can't decide where to install + can't move data once installed" problem I vaguely remember people saying before? I'd like to buy a SD card and get things digitally but I don't want to deal with any nonsense like that.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

In my dreams, they announce that in addition to every previous VC game becoming available immediately on the Switch, you get free copies of every game you've purchased on the 3DS and WiiU :allears:

Honestly, I wouldn't even be too mad if Nintendo didn't transfer older purchases currently if they'd actually go out and say, "Hey from now on we'll try to keep future purchases transferable for future generations".

I don't even have much of a problem with transfer fees (since it still probably takes some effort to build a new emulator with proper features on new consoles), but it'd have to be ridiculously cheap and not $1 per game or something.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Yeah, the digital foundry analysis was definitely in the docked mode (how could they do an analysis in portable?)

It'd be more difficult, but you could just take live feed of the game running in portable mode from an external camera and comb through the footage there to look for individual frame drops. They did this back in their BotW coverage. For analyzing graphics quality/differences it's a bit more tricky, since there they had to take individual screenshots with the internal screenshot function to compare against.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Kashuno posted:

Hot take: plague knight is far far faaaar superior to shovel knight

:same:

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

well why not posted:

Yeah this sucks, it just needed an option to restart if you lost. Really tho, there's no reason an open-world racing game couldn't just have a menu of races + fast travel to make the open-world stuff completely optional. Driving from A to B can sometimes just feel like busywork.

In NFS Most Wanted, you can instantly select and start any of the races from the in game menu, and it'll warp you to the start of the race. No fast travel though, but iirc you could always just start a race and then quit out of it to retain your location if you wanted a ghetto fast travel. Only played Wii U version so idk if this applies to other versions.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Music Theory posted:

Also, the NFS: Most Wanted game that Criterion developed is worse than Paradise because driving in that game doesn't feel nearly as good. 90% of my playtime in Paradise is just driving around the city without actually doing events, so a Paradise-like where that isn't fun isn't a good Paradise-like, imo.

I know maybe I have outlier taste in handling when it comes to normal racing games, but I enjoyed Most Wanted fair enough. It wasn't quite as tight as Paradise maybe, but adjustable enough that I didn't mind it after a while.

LethalGeek posted:

I don't think a lot of you "get" Mario Kart. If you can't laugh at getting randomly wrecked in hilarious ways then there is something not right about your being.

I understand if that's an appeal to some people. Personally, I'd prefer slightly less being dicked over with nothing to do about it in my racing games.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Hammer Bro. posted:

Yacht Club actually wrote up a pretty spiffy article on that topic. It's actually not as far from the NES as you might think.

Actually, if anything, that article supports what that guy is saying. The article mostly is just Yacht Club saying, "Yeah the NES was limited on these things, but we thought that'd be annoying so we decided to break the limitation here." Still a good read tho

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

The Bloop posted:

Fox Only. No Items. Final Destination.

vs

Turn 20 BOWSER REVOLUTION

As Xad kinda brought up in his post right after, I just prefer Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed as a middle ground on this point. It still has items to turn the tides, but it's a lot more manageable to deal with them. I feel less dicked over getting hit by one of the Bee spawns versus trying to dodge the blue shell.

Dr Cheeto posted:

Yacht Club thought about NES games and the limitations of the NES every time they made a design decision and their explicit goal was to produce a game that was reminiscent of the NES. To say that it's actually a 16-bit throwback because parallax scrolling is in is and they added a few additional colors is ridiculous.

Yeah I guess I mispoke; the article supports the original posters point that Shovel Knight doesn't really operate on NES limitations, and on that point is more like the later generations of games. Obviously though, the art and game designs are still clearly hearkening back to NES era game design. Freedom Planet is more of an example of a game that tries to be a 16-bit era throwback than Shovel Knight.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Policenaut posted:

That's what they're doing instead of more Sonic Transformed!? Well alright I guess.

It's a cool game

Though yeah give us Switch Racing Transformed to make up for the weird 3ds port.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

XyrlocShammypants posted:

This thread is improving with the earnings report, very much similar to what happened after sales projections for the Apple Watch cleaned out the associated thread of doomsayers and negative Nancies.

FWIW if there was doom&gloom for switch we'd probably wouldn't see it for a while. Switch isn't obnoxiously overpriced like the 3DS was at launch, and BOTW has everyone more excited as the launch software over Wii U/3DS. So I don't think the initial sales was going to be an issue (personally).

What's had me mostly worried, and what I think will be more telling of how the switch will do better in the long run, is how much software we'll get after this year. Switch seems to have a good first year planned with Zelda/hopefully MK?/Mario/Splatoon, but we don't know yet what else they have planned. It's where a lot of us kept asking after the january direct, "Where's Retro? Where's Game Freak? HAL? Next Level games [or insert other studio tied to Nintendo here]?". Because the appeal to a bunch of us on the Switch was the idea that Nintendo consolidating portability with a console would mean more titles on the platform, due to focused attention. And so far we haven't exactly seen any evidence of that, just the normal amount of software we've seen Nintendo push out. People getting annoyed at 1-2 Switch didn't help Nintendo's case either.

Basically, the switch launch seems fine and I'll enjoy the switch while this lasts, but I'm not really convinced that we'll continue to see this momentum for the next year or 2 yet considering Nintendo's history from several of their Non-Wii consoles.

That said, there were some people who doom&gloomed the wii up until the end, even though the Wii did perfectly fine. I think if Nintendo can keep rolling up software like how they did the 3DS then they'll be perfectly fine.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

LethalGeek posted:

Blue shells are needed because there are races like the one I just had where I have enough time to type this post while waiting for everyone else because I was so far ahead of everyone else the entire race because 2-5th were pounding on each other while I got to practice my time trial time being so unbothered entire time.

That sounds fine to me. In most of games where skill is a big factor, things like this happen when there is a skill gap. If you want to play with someone of more equal skill, that's when you seek out friends/specific players and that sorta thing instead of playing against pubbies.* The answer to "there is a difference of skill" shouldn't be "requires less skill" imo.

At least I assume the new Mario Kart has some sort of online friend/lobby system or something to play against who you want? If it's only a random online quick match mode then rip.

*This is presuming that the ranked mode isn't filtering things out enough, which seems to be the case so far

Ventana fucked around with this message at 12:26 on May 1, 2017

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
No real Metroidvanias yet, but Hollow Knight should be coming sometime this year on switch which might be what you're looking for

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

chaleski posted:

Apparently I need to learn how to dodge counter efficiently like some of you, I can parry pretty easily but flurries seem much more helpful in taking down Lynels and such

The timing should be very similar, only added element is recognizing when to backflip or side dodge (sometimes both can work, sometimes only 1 works)

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

well why not posted:

Plague Knight I have a lot of trouble controlling, almost feel like I'm missing something. He can absolutely shred enemies with the bombs but I feel like the platforming is really hit & miss because the burst, while predictable, is quite hard to control.

It's just another larger jump arc. Like you said, it's predicatable, so you just need to get used to using it and visualizing the arc and it'll just be a triple jump basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Cojawfee posted:

I have no idea why I'm collecting coins and orbs. This seems to be suffering from the same problem Yooka Laylee is suffering from as well. There are a bunch of collectibles but no real reason for them to exist other than "collect these things to make the numbers on the level select go up."

It's a collect-a-thon. One of the main goals of the gameplay is to collect lots of things for it's own sake. You don't need a story for that.

• Locked thread