Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
Nintendo charging full price for a remaster is equally lovely and good business. Yes, almost every other remaster + DLC that comes out costs at least $20 less than the original game, but people aren't lining up to play Sleeping Dogs again on a new platform the way they are for MK8. Especially for a console that is starved of games at the beginning of its life, if people are willing to pay $60 for it, then why not charge $60 for it? If they thought they could make more by selling it for less then they woulhahahaha it's Nintendo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

isn't this specifically what a remaster isn't when comparing remasters with remakes

the crash bandicoot trilogy for ps4 which is replacing absolutely everything in the games in terms of assets but keeping the level layouts identical and bringing it all up to 4k is a remaster. remake vs remaster is a category however where yes, you could say trying to differentiate between the two may simply come down to semantics. however comparing that to a port absolutely isnt just "semantics".

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Crafty posted:

The benefit of Nintendo keeping their games at a high price is that you can resell them and actually get some money back. You get nearly 30% more cash for reselling Mario Kart 7 on DS than you do for Uncharted 4 (CEX), despite the 4+ year gap in release dates . I resell all my games because I'm not a collecting nerd, so this is better for me. I bought doom for £45 and have never actually got around to playing it, it's now worth £4.

I don't care either way really, all you poor people make me sick :shrug:

This is also a fair point, but it also serves to devalue games bought digitally, sometimes by like half

I have a lot of digital 3ds games but I dunno, I think I'm only buying physical switch games because of that sweet, sweet bitter toddler coating

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also I wish Kingdom hearts collections came out on Switch.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Stux posted:

the crash bandicoot trilogy for ps4 which is replacing absolutely everything in the games in terms of assets but keeping the level layouts identical and bringing it all up to 4k is a remaster. remake vs remaster is a category however where yes, you could say trying to differentiate between the two may simply come down to semantics. however comparing that to a port absolutely isnt just "semantics".

When considering how to price games, I could do a calculation involving things like install base and attach rate, the cost of developer time and license/production fees and royalties and stuff like that

Or I could just say it's a port so let's go with X money because it makes stux feel vindicated

I dunno :shrug:

pippy
May 29, 2013

CRIMES

VideoGames posted:

I bought a $50 eshop card through playasia. Even though it's $39.99 there is flipping sales tax that gets added on after the fact :mad:

I'd be worried I'd get vouchers bought using stolen credit cards and get a knock on the door from the police.

How bad are region restrictions for fellow UK folks, should I register my account to US when i get my console?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Stux posted:

do you live in a world without online streaming services with literally thousands of on demand shows and films for $15 a month? or downloads for hardly anything? cheap digital rentals? and music is exactly the same with services like spotify and itunes. the price of getting movies, tv and music have all dropped dramatically outside of things like actually going to a cinema, and even that has an analog in games where you pay an inflated price if you want the game at release, but if you wait for sales (or, for movies, home releases/downloads etc) you get it far far cheaper.

If you want any of that poo poo permanently you're gonna pay for it. And like I said the streaming deals are there because companies had to do it because people stopped buying their poo poo. People still buy video games.

And like I said the revenue stream is different. Movies live and die at the box office.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Apr 4, 2017

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

pippy posted:

I'd be worried I'd get vouchers bought using stolen credit cards and get a knock on the door from the police.

How bad are region restrictions for fellow UK folks, should I register my account to US when i get my console?

Playasia is a legitimate site, I've been using them since Phoenix Wright for the DS. I also used them to get eshop cards so I could buy puyo puyo tetris a month ago and no police yet.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Empress Brosephine posted:

Lol the Nintendo switch can't even run lego city.

Are we still doing that gimmick where we pretend the Switch is a bad console because it's getting old fast

pippy
May 29, 2013

CRIMES

Also I wish Kingdom hearts collections came out on Switch.

What is happening with that franchise anyway? Is 3 comming out? Or are we still on Kingdom Hearts 360/50*7: A New Hope, whatever the hell they're naming the remasters.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Are we still doing that gimmick where we pretend the Switch is a bad console because it's getting old fast

Sorry it's true that it has problems performing with last gen games???

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pippy posted:

What is happening with that franchise anyway? Is 3 comming out? Or are we still on Kingdom Hearts 360/50*7: A New Hope, whatever the hell they're naming the remasters.

3 is the next one I do believe hopefully who knows gently caress that series

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

How much do I have to pay for a Stux HD Remaster?

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

3 is the next one I do believe hopefully who knows gently caress that series

KH 2.99 coming Winter 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Sorry it's true that it has problems performing with last gen games???

Like I said, reviewers are saying the loading times are just as bad on the other consoles.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Just waiting on the day Rock Band 4 get announced for the Switch.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

pippy posted:

Play Asia is legit, they've been around forever and a day.

Your main account should be your local region, because that's what you use to 'log-in' to games so you'll want that to be first. I've setup accounts for the US, Japan, and Mexico.
Region free owns.

Honestly going to remove Mexico later because I only set it up for cheap Blaster Master that didn't end up happening.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

parallelodad posted:

Like I said, reviewers are saying the loading times are just as bad on the other consoles.

Yeah, sounds like an optimization problem on the dev's end.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm going to buy it anyways because I wanted to play it I just hope it isn't a legit lego game because those are boring.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Optimised
Warner Bros

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It is. There's an open world but the main heft of the game is instanced levels that are like any other Lego game.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Developers want to sell their games for money. Since the Switch has like a very limited number of sold Switches, making a game for it is expensiver than doing a game for a computer since there are more computers. So you will need each Switch game to sell for more money for it to be worth it for the developer. The alternative would be to not make Switch games until there are enough Switches to make the moneys add up. Or for Nintendo to give money to the developer to make up for the less money they make.

This is a very hard concept to grasp for a lot of people who don't understand concepts in general

There's an easy solution. Just make the game $5 million (or whatever the development and marketing budgets were). That way you only need to sell one copy to be profitable.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Infinitum posted:

This is the remaster.

Stux SD posted:

we are releasing pokemon sun and moon for swithc. each pokemon is now an amiibo and thats how u catch them

swithc thread: thjis pwns... i love this... my rear end is entirely full of this warm love

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

parallelodad posted:

It is. There's an open world but the main heft of the game is instanced levels that are like any other Lego game.

Lame. Why did people say it was amazing

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

People generally like those games. I think they're just ok.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Dr Cheeto posted:

This is the remaster.

I wish single posts could be goldmined.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

Am I going to be able to buy the US version of Puyo Puyo Tetris once it's out if I already own the Japanese one? When I log into the Japanese store I notice that the US games I own are greyed out and marked as unavailable for purchase.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Colorspray posted:

A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad.

You can just patch the game like they did with botw and framerate issues. Not saying that rushing a poo poo game is a good idea but delaying it and not giving your audience reason why is poo poo.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Wheany posted:

There's an easy solution. Just make the game $5 million (or whatever the development and marketing budgets were). That way you only need to sell one copy to be profitable.

If your realistic sales forecast is exactly one copy then yes that's a pretty good idea

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Dizz posted:

You can just patch the game like they did with botw and framerate issues. Not saying that rushing a poo poo game is a good idea but delaying it and not giving your audience reason why is poo poo.

That philosophy led to the recent AAA mess that is Mass Effect Andromeda

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can we talk about how much Nintendo sucks for. It having games on the eshop at midnight

pippy
May 29, 2013

CRIMES

If your realistic sales forecast is exactly one copy then yes that's a pretty good idea
I bet more than one rich would buy it. Pure profit.

Not a Children posted:

That philosophy led to the recent AAA mess that is Mass Effect Andromeda
They'll fix it. But now we've got funny gifs too.

Worth it.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
https://twitter.com/GiantMargarita/status/848027405872648192

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

pippy posted:

I bet more than one rich would buy it. Pure profit.

They'll fix it. But now we've got funny gifs too.

Worth it.

Will they fix it? And mostly it seems they had to release ME:A due to it being the end of March.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Infinitum posted:

Is he still doing this poo poo? I have him on ignore from the Wii U thread like years ago. It was baffling to me then that he spent so much time and effort trolling a Nintendo thread, but now it's just sad.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Tender Bender posted:

If you want any of that poo poo permanently you're gonna pay for it. And like I said the streaming deals are there because companies had to do it because people stopped buying their poo poo. People still buy video games.

And like I said the revenue stream is different. Movies live and die at the box office.

yeah i also included ways you can buy them, permanently, and theyre way cheaper than they were before.

people still buy video games... mainly on the platforms which have sales and discounted games!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Fremry posted:

Is he still doing this poo poo? I have him on ignore from the Wii U thread like years ago. It was baffling to me then that he spent so much time and effort trolling a Nintendo thread, but now it's just sad.

i posted in the wii u thread like 5 times about 6 months ago and thats it, what are you thinking of?

When considering how to price games, I could do a calculation involving things like install base and attach rate, the cost of developer time and license/production fees and royalties and stuff like that

Or I could just say it's a port so let's go with X money because it makes stux feel vindicated

I dunno :shrug:

so now platforms like steam and psn dont do those calculations and just do arbitrarily lower prices/sales? what even is your point here.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Is there someone who could clean up the poo poo in this thread?

Go buy BoI, Gawd!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Fremry posted:

I honestly don't think he is trolling. Stux has made a lot of interesting and discussing posts in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Not familiar, is this that golf game with the McElroy Brothers?

• Locked thread