Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Nerdrock posted:

new mario going to be amazing. you need to keep finding shoes to equip that break down after stomping on a few goombas. also your gloves degrade and will no longer smash blocks without being replaced every handful of minutes.

You jest, but wait until one of the many different worlds Mario travels to is Hyrule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I don't have a Switch or Zelda yet but if the game doesn't tell me "Shrine Get!" every time I complete one then I'm not sure how it can be GOTY.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

VideoGames posted:

If it helps, BOTW is technically my first Zelda and without any previous experience baggage I think it's fantastic. The art style is really nice and original. I wish there was more music, but the controls and abilities are awesome. I'm completely lost and wandering around bumping into people, but it's a very different sort of experience compared to "I need a mini map".

It's more, I'm a 100 year old amnesiac, where is everything, what happened to everything?! And that loneliness feels highly appropriate. I think the environment does a really good job of pulling you in and making you forget.

(In terms of previous Zeldas, I played the first dungeon in Legend of Zelda because I found it by accident and then I kept dying after I left it and didn't know where to go.)

My dude, you posted this like nearly two weeks ago and no one called you out on it. But how in the heck did you get a Wii U, discover all sorts of great Nintendo games both new and old, and yet nearly entirely miss the Zelda series?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Takoluka posted:

Rocket League only had 1 map at launch. Turns out people will gladly play in the same box over and over again for hours if it's actually fun to do so!

Pretty much the only map I ever played in TFC was Dustbowl but I would do that for hours at a time, for months and years. Maybe a little Murderball now and then or occasionally something else, but if TFC had been Dustbowl only I would've been quite happy with it.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Spacebump posted:

With Wednesday's upcoming restock, I hope I'm able to get a Switch this week. I originally wanted the Neon version but realized I can just buy those color joycons later if they only have gray. Is there anything beyond Zelda that is must buy for Switch atm?

I've been keeping tabs on this thread, but this is the first I've heard about a specific date restock. Is this like for all retailers or just Gamestop/Best Buy or something?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Is it pretty certain gamestop is getting some more in stock for tomorrow? I ask because we can get some discounted gift cards but I'm not that much of a gambler.

Edit: that is, in non bundle form.

Winifred Madgers fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 21, 2017

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Dang it. Due to circumstances we couldn't afford a preorder, so now that we have the means, we're stuck in the grind. I'll probably still make the rounds tomorrow morning just for kicks.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

GameStop by me said they were going to have some trickling in almost daily. They had 4 today (with 9 people already in line an hour before they opened). I don't think I'll be able to make the wait to actually get one without taking time off work and I don't want one THAT bad.

I've been trying Target right before work since they open at 8 and it's 5 minutes from work. I'm hoping this restock gamestock is getting means well for other retailers

Yeah. We live out in the sticks, so I can't even do that except at the local Walmart, which is the only place likely to have any within about 40 miles. We're going on an expedition tomorrow to the nearest "Big City" if you can call it that, and timing it for earlyish in the morning so we can hit a few stores for possible Switch action before getting to our actual destinations.

Local Walmart did tell my wife today they have 17 coming in soon, but couldn't tell her when they were coming beyond "maybe 3 to 7 days," so if we don't come across any tomorrow I guess I'll leave for work 10-15 minutes early every day this week.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

zenintrude posted:

People salty about not doing the thing they need to do pretty much every time a new Nintendo console releases if they have any interest in it

No salt here, I wanted to preorder and would have, but finances weren't in order then so this is the earliest opportunity I've had.

One of my daughters' friends got one at launch though and she brought it over with Zelda; that made the wait a little tougher. I tried not to watch too closely but after a while in one of the divine beasts I was studying it enough to be giving her little hints and dang it I want that game right now.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

LeafyOrb posted:

So in GameStop sucks news I can't believe that horse poo poo that happened this morning. Basically they advertised pretty much everywhere that they would have them in store this morning, this was not the case. It's seems like almost no one got any and when you go and ask they say no, but you can order a hideously expensive bundle as of today. From what I've read this was the norm for today and not an isolated incident.

So they effectively bait and switched thousands of people. gently caress off Gamestop.

I struck out today in my travels as well. Gamestop 1 said they sold out immediately this morning upon opening, although they offered me the bundle; Gamestop 2 said they're expecting theirs tomorrow, which doesn't help me because I live an hour away from town and today was my day off anyway. This was like an hour after opening and she said they already had 30ish calls asking about it.

Still holding out hope for local Walmart in the next few days according to what they told my wife. It's at least worth leaving 10-15 minutes early for work for a few days to try.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Emron posted:

Is the switch ever going to stop being out of stock at every store within a 30 mile radius of my house? This is the mystery of our time.

Right now it's out of stock in an 8,000 mile radius, except in very short bursts.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Emron posted:

Watch Bush start a loving war, etc etc

Weapons of Mass Deswitchion?

... I'll show myself out.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Wheany posted:

I could walk to a supermarket near me and buy 10 immediately

If I thought you were serious, and if I also had the slightest iota of trust in goons, I would ask you to get one for me.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Wheany posted:

I am 100% serious. I was there yesterday and they had well over 10 on the shelf. The shortages are regional.

What region are we talking?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Oh lol, I wouldn't want to pay shipping from there for sure.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

shovelbum posted:

Finally caught the drat thing in stock on Amazon

Thanks for this, I caught it too, still up as of like two minutes ago.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Fremry posted:

So glad I preordered the Switch. This in and out of stock stuff would make me crazy.

Yeah, if finances had allowed, I wanted to preorder, but that darn responsibility thing kept telling me no. Glad it didn't take too long once we had the means. Hopefully this is the beginning of a second wave and it'll be better for a while.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Spellman posted:

I honestly prefer gyro cursor to the sensor bar cursor, though my sensor bar has been absolute poo poo lately. I don't know if it's picking up lights off my router, a reflection, or I'm just too far from my TV, but I haven't been able to play a Wii game in forever

Mostly talking about Tomorrow Corp games

I like how my hands don't have to be directly facing the screen

Have you tried turning the LED intensity up on the sensor bar? It may say pointer sensitivity or something in the menu.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Empress Brosephine posted:

Why is Mario kart so far away there's nothing to play on this system for a month.

Lol, that won't be enough time for us because my wife and I and at least one of our daughters are all going to be competing for time on Zelda once ours arrives next week. I'll be lucky if I complete it before Mario Odyssey I think. I should have probably just gotten 3 of the dang things.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Mediocrity Goggles posted:

Most likely talking a bit out of my rear end as I didn't quite get deep enough into the game for the gear to have mattered. I concede that maybe it was just a "got too complex for me" sort of deal, kinda like Team Fortress 2 getting progressively off the rails from the original gameplay as the years went on.

Partly, if you are anything like me at least, going by the TF2 example, it's harder to learn new things as you get older, even if only because you have less time and desire to put in the effort. I think to this day if I knew there were any sort of community left for TFC I might jump in for a few rounds of Dustbowl and maybe even do alright, but for TF2 enough changed that I was just like :effort: because I had sunk a LOT of hours into TFC and I liked it the way it was.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Lobstertainment posted:

This 2017 Stux rebranding is hilarious and I heartily approve. Godspeed ☺️

New Stux: poor man's Jivjov.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

jivjov posted:

My username is traditionally rendered in all lowercase.

Saves money on Shift keys

Lol, I couldn't remember, but thanks for proving my point.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Dr Cheeto posted:

Who doesn't have a massive dong backlog?

*raises hand, sheepishly*

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

You guys weren't kidding about this loving video game. I just started Zelda today and played it for about two hours, only to realize I was completely wrong and it was closer to five hours. :pwn:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

katkillad2 posted:

BotW is my favorite Zelda and maybe my favorite game ever... but graphically impressive it is not. And that is okay!

I must be out of the loop by not having a PS4/Xbone, but Zelda is jaw droppingly gorgeous to me. I'm continually flabbergasted by how good it looks, so I don't understand this kind of talk.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

s.i.r.e. posted:

People are talking how it looks in a graphical sense, not it's aesthetic. The game is aesthetically beautiful and looks when you're up close to stuff but everything in the distance is pretty muddy, 900p at 30fps sucks and there's noticeable pop-in. It's limitations of the hardware and they pushed the Switch as far as it can go, but pulling out the Sheikah tablet to zoom into anything in the distance looks like god drat poo poo.

I'm just behind the curve then by sticking only with Nintendo consoles; plus I was indeed confusing the aesthetics with graphics. Good to hear about things Nintendo will maybe bring in 10 years though, lol.

I guess I have noticed some of that but it was more like a "huh, that's weird" and it never bothers me. Sometimes it'd be nice to start gliding toward a tower and have a little more time to alter my trajectory after I see 3 electric Wizzrobes pop in though.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

dragon enthusiast posted:

Sega put up more Puyo Tetris tutorials, this time about advanced Tetris techniques
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YicWkhg7e5o&index=6&list=PLs9C4tvsx7kLRaXhC7Q1NrVMIBgOLYhXh

I downloaded the demo a week ago and haven't even opened it once yet. I want to try it out, but every time I touch the Switch all I want to do is more Zelda.

Also when I'm not touching the Switch or anywhere in the vicinity.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

bkerlee posted:

Loook at all you bastards forgetting Rock and Roll Racing.

Finally someone said it; I was going to have to because my brother and I spent many hours in that game. Got to the point where he, and sometimes I, could pivot, shoot missiles at the other, halfway across the track, and hit them. Good for getting back in the race if behind, and for a curbstomp if ahead.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Here's my hot take for the Switch thread: Puyo Puyo Tetris is unplayable garbage... on the joycons.

I love Tetris, but the joystick and an L button the size of a grain of rice threw me so far off I had to give up after a couple rounds.

Give me a way to use an N64 D-pad, then we'll talk.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Sam Faust posted:

Why are are you using the joystick? L button, why are you pressing the L button? What does it even do???

How would you move the pieces other than the joystick? I'm talking about the individual joycons, not connected to the Switch or each other. The L button toggles the hold piece.

*mutters under breath* what a scrub....

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

The N64 didn't have a d-pad :colbert:

My probably thousand hours in The New Tetris begs to differ. One of the best D-pads in fact.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

maybe I have faulty joycons? Last night it would literlaly start auto rotating or drop pieces automatically and then half way through my A + B buttons stopped working; my :siren: GIRLFRIEND :siren: even said "this controller is poo poo"

No, I have perfectly good joycons but the controls aren't tuned very well, so a little bit up on the joystick makes you hard drop a piece, which I would trigger a lot by accident. Also the SL button to hold a piece is so small and inset that I couldn't get it to press without bumping the joystick. Very disappointed in the joycons for that purpose, and I won't buy Tetris yet until I can figure something out.

I don't know how they'll work for Mario Kart either; I may need to invest in those joycon grips I've seen people link a few times.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Real hurthling! posted:

Hes blaming the joycon for being analog only. Not the game

Yeah, I use the hard drop all the time, I just accidentally trigger it sometimes when I don't want to due to the analog sticks.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Even my Wii did that for me did you just get a new tv

Did they release a later revision of the Wii with HDMI?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

vr is dead, give me the vc

You should change your name to Veni, Vidi, VC

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I just got the mental image of 8-player online original Mario Kart and now I am sad this will not happen ever.

But I'm the kind of guy who has had literal dreams of Super Mario Kart 2 with SNES mode 7 graphics, but with slopes and some of the other 3D era enhancements, and live in eternal anguish that it too will never be.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Mister Facetious posted:

The switch is very good. The games and peripherals are bad.

The Switch is good enough but could be better. The peripherals are sometimes good and sometimes bad, and always expensive. The games are okay so far except Zelda which is GOAT in my book, although it could also be better. That's my lukewarm take for the Switch thread!

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Phantasium posted:

i now fear for jivjov's sanity

Now you fear for it?

TFRazorsaw posted:

can we please stop calling people who have problems with how they act regarding games as having "brain problems"?

Leave the jivjoving to jivjov please.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Bloodplay it again posted:

When pressing left or right on the d-pad, the controller sometimes inputs up. I never noticed it during Zelda but it happens fairly frequently in PPT and causes whoever is using the controller to accidentally insta-drop a piece at least once per game. Couldn't get into either the Wii or Wii U Xenoblade games after sinking about 8 hours into each of them, ARMS/Splatoon/rabbids don't interest me at all, and I played Hyrule Warriors enough that I could never play another musou game and be ok with it. Leaves pretty much only Mario and whatever e3 surprises we have to look forward to, in my case.

Bought everything at launch. Still need to contact Nintendo to get everything repaired.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Yeah I think all pro controllers are like that more or less.

I think it is an issue with PPT itself, although I can't speak to the Pro controller D-pad because I don't have one. But I had the same issue playing on individual joycons in the PPT demo and that's why I decided not to buy the game.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Gimbal lock posted:

Is there really something wrong with the switch pro controller's dpad-up?
Seems to work fine to me. :confused:

The issue seems to be not with up itself, but with left or right improperly reading as up if you put pressure on it a little wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Well AssCreed already has "Climb anything you see!" as a selling point and the new Mordor has the jump and aim with bow to slow down time but it would be really awesome to see open world games to follow the design of BotW where the map is designed to peak curiosity so you're constantly exploring. It's amazing how much I find myself just getting lost in BotW on random whims cause I see an interesting hill of all things where in other games I'll pass by entire forests without even considering going into one unless there's some symbol in it or some hunt quest for that area

I fully understood this aspect of BotW when I began one play session fully intending to go directly south to investigate something I'd seen the night before, and after two hours of "oh that looks neat" ending up farther north from my starting point than I had planned on going south, in a big spiral, totally unplanned, never making it to my original destination. Not because I couldn't figure out how to get there, but just because there was so much else I found to do.

• Locked thread