Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Just got my Switch today and got to spend about an hour with it. Overall my impressions are positive but man there's some questionable decisions made about this thing.

The screen looks great, the interfaces feel wonderful to navigate, the speakers sound good, and I like the sticks. The buttons are fine I guess but the triggers and the auxiliary buttons are a joke.

And I didn't expect this thing to not support Bluetooth headphones. Absolutely everything has Bluetooth audio now and for a mobile device to not have any sort of wireless audio is just bad bad bad. The eShop also looks like it was shoved out the door as bare bones as possible.

The stand is fine if a bit cheap looking and the pro controller is nice and weighty but I don't like the triggers there either. I kind of expected more after the Xbone and PS4 controllers especially for the price.

Zelda and Mario Kart look and run great on the handheld but I haven't tried hooking it up to a TV so we'll see how bad performance gets. I have a feeling I'll be using this more in handheld mode though.

But what the hell is up with the lack of options in those games? Mario Kart doesn't even have an options screen on the main menu and the pause menu is paltry as heck. Zelda has some options but mostly just lets you swap jump and sprint and...that's it for rebinding? Ugh why.

Anyway I hope they can improve on a number of these things and it's certainly a slick device for the most part. Here's hoping the batteries are decent because I'm going to have lots of long nights with a newborn real soon. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Policenaut posted:

You can blame 2K for that. They dropped 2K Baseball like a bad habit around the time Sony revealed MLB 14 to focus on NBA/WWE games. To their credit, NBA 17 sold something like 8 million copies so maybe they just wanted to cut their losses.

Yeah wasn't Sony allowed to make The Show because 2K's exclusivity didn't cover first party development? If anything Sony is the reason there's still a good baseball game.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I'm like the most anti grinding person ever but there's something really satisfying about Monster Hunter and I'm glad we're getting a Switch version.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Al Borland Corp. posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyjTzc7EH4I
Anyone post this yet? Extremely my poo poo

I'm 100% down with this.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
So is Puyo Puyo Tetris as cool and charming as it looks?

SeANMcBAY posted:

It's okay and a fantastic looking game but it doesn't hold my interest nearly as long as a real F-Zero. I'm not a huge fan of the color mechanic in particular.

There have been a bunch of futuristic, super fast, anti-grav racing games recently and a number are all decent but all lack something special that Wipeout and F-Zero have.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I only got about 20 minutes with Arms. Some thoughts:

- holy poo poo I love all the characters
- I have no idea what I'm doing but fights are fun
- volleyball sucks

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

SeANMcBAY posted:

The online lobby interface for Arms is slick as hell and deserves more praise.

Yeah it's pretty drat cool

And I'm about 5 hours into Zelda now and...it seems fine? I think there are a lot of things kind of clunky about the game and overall it's good but I'm not being blown away like so many other people were. Did people just have mega low expectations going in based on Skyward and Twilight?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

TFRazorsaw posted:

At this point if you aren't personally seeing it, that's fine, but at the same time, "everyone had lowered expectations and that's why they were so impressed" and comments like it are pretty wearying.

I didn't say I wasn't liking it, I just don't see what's the best thing ever about it. It just seems like a decent open world game that cobbles together bits from other games in a compelling way. And I very much appreciate how little hand holding there is considering its pedigree.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Lemming posted:

The lowered expectations are from people thinking it's still 2006 and motion controls are bad

Even without motion controls Skyward and Twilight are bad games.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

That's basically the gist of it; it may be one of the weaker Zelda's in terms of composition but mechanically it is far and away an amazing game.

Yeah everything feels put together really well even if I'm still fumbling around in combat. I don't think I quite get why some weapons have a dodge and some weapons just make me jump when locked on. Can I only dodge with a one-handed weapon and a shield?

Also I keep waiting for some sort of story something in the shrines but I'm starting to think that never happens. I'm good to just skip all of the animations at the beginning and the end, right?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

You're fumbling your inputs. You can always jump, but when you're locked on, the direction you point to determines if you jump forward to do a lunging attack, backflip dodge or dodge to the sides.

Story is found elsewhere, basically. You can skip shrine animations.

Ah cool, thanks.

Feenix posted:

Zelda felt clunky to me for about that long then you sort of attune to it and it feels great.

Be my Nintendo Friendo, Yod?

Haha sure as soon as I figure out where/how to do that.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Mace Bacon posted:

Couldn't play as Twinelle in demo 0/10 will not buy.

This is the real problem, Helix doesn't have that booty.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
After putting more time into Zelda I'm liking the systems and world more and more and the story less and less. Like holy poo poo Nintendo is getting some mileage out of that boring parchment looking cutscene, I think I've seen and heard the same bits three or four times now. And the voice acting in this game is...well I guess at least you tried Nintendo.

I love how it constantly feels like I'm breaking the game though and doing things they devs didn't intend. I adore it when games give that much freedom.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Imagined posted:

You can switch the voice language to Japanese. I think it's much better.

Oh hrmm I might do that.

And Other M wasn't completely unfun to play, it's just that it missed the mark of being a Metroid game so goddamn hard that it was kind of amazing and the story was almost insultingly bad.

e: and I figured it out, Breath of the Wild is a game designed to replicate the feeling of invading a high level zone in an MMO that you're not supposed to be in but actually rewards you for doing so

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Rexroom posted:

I guess you might like Disgaea 5 then. I've heard how the series is ridiculous in its way of handling stats, but it didn't click with me until I viewed this video about it. It kindled my interest, at least, but isn't it a grindfest? Is it just an exercise in tedium if I decide to dive in?

I haven't played 5 but prior Disgaea games do indeed allow you to break them in hilarious ways but only after like hundreds of hours of the most repetitive poo poo you've ever experienced. They're good games but you need to be able to stomach extreme tedium in order to make numbers go up and some people really enjoy that. I extremely don't.

I like Zeldas approach to game breaking where it's just part of the overall design and gameplay based, not spreadsheet.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
How quickly we all forget Metroid Prime Hunters.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Lemming posted:

It was very good

What the gently caress.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Helix is the best.

https://twitter.com/babylonian/status/868594153705193472

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Turtlicious posted:

If anyone here has a switch they don't want, hmu.

I got mine from Target, they have their $500 bundles every so often online.

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Master Mummy is the best gently caress every other character

Arms is canonically a sequel to Darkstalkers.

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 01:15 on May 28, 2017

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Please port Bayonetta 2 to the Switch.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

This is a correct and good idea.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Inzombiac posted:

I STILL HAVEN'T FINISHED ZELDA.
ALL I HAVE LEFT IS HYRULE CASTLE BUT I CAN'T BRING MYSELF TO COMPLETION.
I'M ALL BACKED UP AND VERY FRUSTRATED.

Video game edging.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

shantae you stay

This is good.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Where's my Rhythm Heaven game Nintendo.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

bef posted:

I would much rather have that double fine game, games for Windows live included, than w/e the hell that is

Yeah for real, Iron Brigade was actually really good.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
My hot take is Nintendo is very good when they're not hilariously bad and nobody should voice chat but their solution is laughable.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Just get together with your friends and voice chat on Skype or Discord, it ain't that hard

This is what I'm saying. It's been probably 3 years since I've used any game or console's built-in VOIP. They're all completely garbage.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Can't wait to play Super Mario Bros 3 online whatever the hell that means.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Yeah you need to be opening up an Etsy shop for that jawn.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
That Pokken trailer was even more "poo poo that will never happen" than the original Switch commercial.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Are there any good Amiibos preferably that work with Zelda?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Kashuno posted:

what's everyone's favorite Kirby game and why is it Dream Course?

It's Canvass Curse because it's the best.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

This is really interesting but at the same time really dumb.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Infinitum posted:

Yo Yodzilla, when's Tiny Tower hitting the Switch baby?

Wrong goon game developer! I'm working on Hastilude which is on a bit of a hold whilst I have a kid but we hope to port to Switch when it's done.

Tiny Tower is eenmachine I believe.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Got one of those Bluetooth dongles for my Switch and it works pretty well. It's light enough so that it can just pop out and hang from the top connected to the male-male cord. Way better than a pile of wires just for headphones for a portable system.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
So Zelda is consuming what little is left of my life that my newborn son doesn't take from me but thankfully the Switch is great for times when those needs overlap!

Is there something I'm missing about spear and two-handed weapon combat in Zelda? It feels like combat was basically designed around having a shield as sidestepping is awkward and sucks compared to Souls-like games and so many enemies don't even flinch when getting hit. Do two handed weapons just kinda blow?

Also just in general I wish the combat was more skill and less numbers based.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I think it's rad that there are so many options in Zelda's combat, I guess I just think the melee options are a bit clunky.

Also it's weird that the bosses are so much easier than rando black mob encounters in the wild.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

KoB posted:

Use stasis and then the spin move with big weapons.

Yeah that's what I do against single dudes. Crowds don't work so well though, but that's what bombs are for.

And while they look cool I kind of expected more out of the Divine Beasts. I've done two and both of them have just been a piss easy approach followed by a few rooms with puzzles and a dead simple boss. Visually and conceptually they're real cool but for this game's big "dungeons" there's just not a lot there.

Also I was really hoping for some Shadow of the Colossus style enemy climbing or even Dragon's Dogma but so far there's been exactly one enemy that you can hop onto and that kinda blows.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Meldonox posted:

BotW is so good. I've done everything significant but the Ganon fight and I wish I had more to do. I hope they do as good a job with the next Zelda game.

I'd like to see something akin to BotW but with lots of interface improvements, better dungeons, and cities expanded on more.

The cities we have are neat looking and I love the people in them but practically they're all just inns with one shop that sells a few food items and another shop that sells a few supplies and that's kinda it.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Tender Bender posted:

I went to the Gerudo city last and it's the most elaborate and coolest, with actual stuff going on, secrets, etc. It's not super complex but if they were all on that level I'd like it.

The goron city was my biggest disappointment because I always liked the original and cities built into mountains in general, and this was just some dumb huts with fat-guy-john-candy-tuba music.

Yeah the Goron continue to be the best but their city was basically some Flintstones knockoff crap. That song is hilarious though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Golden Goat posted:

Remove all Test of Strength Shrines. They suck

Yeah they're real bad and it's weird when you're 60 hours into the game in a super hostile area and it's MINOR TEST OF STRENGTH.

Also it's real dumb that you can't see attributes on weapons until they're in your inventory. Come on now.

• Locked thread