Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Hi everyone,

Love is back for season 2! I completely forgot this was dropping until I cleaned out my email and realized it premiered on March 10. For those who haven't seen season 1, Love tells a story about an up-and-down relationship between Mickey (Gillian Jacobs, Community) and Gus (Paul Rust, uhh...Comedy Bang! Bang!, I guess Inglorious Bastards?), with Claudia O'Doherty (I think this is her first major role) as Mickey's roommate Berty. It looks like season 2 is going to have Mike Mitchell (Birthday Boys, Doughboys Podcast) in an expanded role from season 1. If you haven't seen season 1, check it out now, because despite my boring description the show is really good and funny and touching at times!

For those of you that have seen season 1, we ended with Mickey stalking Gus to the gas station where the two first met (based off of his instagram post). After confessing to Gus that she is an alcoholic and sex/love addict, she tells him that she wants to take a year off of dating, and the two immediately kiss.

Since Netflix and all, spoiler rules are I guess in effect, let's say till the 19th since nobody else seemed to notice this was back either? I'm starting episode 1 as soon as I click post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Very cosy show.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Season 2 felt a lot stronger than the already solid season 1.

Thats my review.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I ended up watching the first 4 episodes last night. Really enjoying things so far, especially episode 4's shroom trip. Randy :stare: Definitely agree that it feels even more put together than last season at least so far.

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Mar 14, 2017

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Wife and I were seemingly in the minority of people looking forward to this coming back and watched the season over the weekend. My dumb nitpicky comment that I care too much about is that I didn't buy Gus getting so stir crazy in Atlanta. This is very anecdotal, but I've been on some pretty lengthy work trips and felt it would have been very in-character for Gus to kill time watching Netflix, reading the Internet, or playing video games. Obviously he missed Mickey and that's the point, but for a show whose thing is people being "real" they could have at least mentioned one or more of those common ways people fill time instead of making it seem like he sat in silence in his room.

Taking it as a good sign that the season was bumped to 12 episodes from 10, although I didn't see much buzz about the show. Here's hoping for a third season.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Dinosaurs! posted:

Wife and I were seemingly in the minority of people looking forward to this coming back and watched the season over the weekend. My dumb nitpicky comment that I care too much about is that I didn't buy Gus getting so stir crazy in Atlanta. This is very anecdotal, but I've been on some pretty lengthy work trips and felt it would have been very in-character for Gus to kill time watching Netflix, reading the Internet, or playing video games. Obviously he missed Mickey and that's the point, but for a show whose thing is people being "real" they could have at least mentioned one or more of those common ways people fill time instead of making it seem like he sat in silence in his room.

Taking it as a good sign that the season was bumped to 12 episodes from 10, although I didn't see much buzz about the show. Here's hoping for a third season.

I heard Gillian say on the radio the other day that a third season had been ordered before the second season even came out.

As for your spoiler, I don't think Gus is really the type of person to spend a lot of free time on his own. Weirdly, he's a bit of an extrovert, and almost all the recreational time we see him taking is of the social sort, with his theme song parties etc. And even though he's really into socializing, he's not the best at making new friends since people tend to see through his people-pleasing ways.

I'm really glad that Mickey addressed almost immediately how hosed up the end of the first season was with Gus kissing her after she laid her problems bare to him. I was really mad at Gus for that move.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Hot post-season takes/thoughts:

1. I had it on autoplay and didn't realize that I had watched the last episode of the season. Figured they'd be a bit more cliffhang-y but they're already film season 3, so w/e

2. Everything outside of Gus + Mickey falls flat. The stuff with his career is kinda one-note: just about everyone is weird/a dick on Witchita, and the same's true for the movie set. As for Mickey, I have nothing against Brett Gelman, but he doesn't do much for me here; the stuff with Truman in the second episode felt like filler. Related, but getting its own point...

3. The Bertie+Randy relationship. Maybe there's a long game on that, but it also didn't seem to go anywhere, and Randy comes off as a pathetic guy. Their reconciliation... did I miss something there? Somebody, feel free to help me here.

E: OK, the AV Club review for "Forced Hiatus" made some sense of it for my thick skull.

Real Name Grover fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 15, 2017

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Just finished season 2. Will have more in-depth thoughts later but I thought it was a great follow-up to season 1 and I'm glad that they already have an order for season 3.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Really excited to get started on this.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
Gus' rear end in a top hat side is really coming out this season.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Dmitri-9 posted:

Gus' rear end in a top hat side is really coming out this season.
How so? I felt it was turned down. For example, he seemed more socially accepting of others.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Lampsacus posted:

How so? I felt it was turned down. For example, he seemed more socially accepting of others.

Gaslighting Mickey about her father, not respecting people's boundaries, trying to continue a relationship even though every conversation broke out in a fight to name a few. More socially accepting? What positive social interaction did Gus have this season?

zenless
Feb 13, 2005
Ugh, i like this show but Gus is the worst.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Dmitri-9 posted:

Gaslighting Mickey about her father, not respecting people's boundaries, trying to continue a relationship even though every conversation broke out in a fight to name a few. More socially accepting? What positive social interaction did Gus have this season?
No yeah, you're right. Maybe I was just more numb to his terribleness.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

These may be the two most horrible characters I've ever seen on a tv show. It's like watching a car crash. I kinda really like it.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
Yo, maybe I have a soft spot for flawed alcoholics, but Gus can completely gently caress off

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Taking schrooms w/ Paul Rust, Gillian Jacobs, Mike Mitchell & Claudia O'Doherty sounds like the most fun thing ever.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
Is the gus hate coming from people who aren't finished with the season yet. Because he does address his big flaw with his relationship with Mickey of being condescending about her recovery and putting a ton of pressure on her. Meanwhile, her reaction to the relationship getting into a rough patch is loving her ex and justifying it in the most chickenshit way ("we never said we were exclusive') and hiding it from Gus. gently caress Mickey!.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Surprisingly Dope posted:

Is the gus hate coming from people who aren't finished with the season yet. Because he does address his big flaw with his relationship with Mickey of being condescending about her recovery and putting a ton of pressure on her. Meanwhile, her reaction to the relationship getting into a rough patch is loving her ex and justifying it in the most chickenshit way ("we never said we were exclusive') and hiding it from Gus. gently caress Mickey!.

I keep forgetting they've been in this relationship for like a month and change. Just seems like they're both pouring a lot of poo poo into it for such a short amount of time.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

GobiasIndustries posted:

Taking schrooms w/ Paul Rust, Gillian Jacobs, Mike Mitchell & Claudia O'Doherty sounds like the most fun thing ever.

Looking at Paul Rust's hosed up face on any kind of hallucinogenic drug would probably leave me shell shocked for at least a decade

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The last two episodes made me more anxious than most of Breaking Bad did.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
204 is fuckin hilarious oh my god

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

First season was alright. I shut it off after the 5th episode of the second season though. It's just the same old poo poo as the last one. Neither of them should be in a relationship with each other but they just keep going at it.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Surprisingly Dope posted:

Mickey was in rare form this season too but we already know she is a self destructive alcoholic

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ep 6: oh poo poo, Randy IS nuts!

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
This show is really, really good at putting what I feel are my personal flaws on full display. Gus's passive aggressive nature and Mickey's addict behavior. It's very good at portraying realistic actual flaws in persons in a down-to-earth setting and I can see how the obvious answer is just 'don't talk to eachother' but I love it because that almost never happens and it's interesting to see a kinda realistic depiction of some people with problems work with things and being in a relationship. Gus going to Al-Anon and learning something hit home. Plus, I could watch Gillian Jacobs read the phone book and Paul Rust just cracks me up.

Edit: also, I rewatched season 1 and Mickey discussed, with a friend, how she thought it was sweet that said friend's significant other would ask questions about her smoking because he cared about her health. I liked that it turned into an actual plot point this season.
Edit 2: apparently Gillian Jacobs has never had a drink in her life. That makes her performance so much more impressive IMO

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Mar 29, 2017

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

GobiasIndustries posted:

This show is really, really good at putting what I feel are my personal flaws on full display. Gus's passive aggressive nature and Mickey's addict behavior. It's very good at portraying realistic actual flaws in persons in a down-to-earth setting and I can see how the obvious answer is just 'don't talk to eachother' but I love it because that almost never happens and it's interesting to see a kinda realistic depiction of some people with problems work with things and being in a relationship. Gus going to Al-Anon and learning something hit home. Plus, I could watch Gillian Jacobs read the phone book and Paul Rust just cracks me up.

Edit: also, I rewatched season 1 and Mickey discussed, with a friend, how she thought it was sweet that said friend's significant other would ask questions about her smoking because he cared about her health. I liked that it turned into an actual plot point this season.
Edit 2: apparently Gillian Jacobs has never had a drink in her life. That makes her performance so much more impressive IMO

I know people exactly like both of these characters in my real life. In fact my Mickey equivalent is one of my closest friends, but she is a garbage fire of mental and relationship problems and even therapy isn't doing her any good. It's like watching a child burn their hand on a stove over and over and over even though every person in their life is telling them to quit touching the stove. She's a good wingman though!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
My best friend is extremely Gus

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Wow, this thread has some massive Gus hate. Whilst I agree he certainly has some flaws, I think they are off set by the fact that he's supportive, trying a ton to do the right thing and is at least willing to try and change.

Meanwhile, hand waving Micky's actions because we've already established she's toxic rubs me the wrong way. Whilst it's entirely believable and true to life, things like the way she treated Birdie at the end of the season pissed me off hard. Picking a fight and blaming others to cover for your own lovely actions is super aggravating. Not to mention all the stuff with the Ex.

Anyway, I thought this season was quite good and a step up from the first. I especially love the supporting cast. I wanna punch that Dr. Love dude so hard though.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Looten Plunder posted:

Wow, this thread has some massive Gus hate. Whilst I agree he certainly has some flaws, I think they are off set by the fact that he's supportive, trying a ton to do the right thing and is at least willing to try and change.

Meanwhile, hand waving Micky's actions because we've already established she's toxic rubs me the wrong way. Whilst it's entirely believable and true to life, things like the way she treated Birdie at the end of the season pissed me off hard. Picking a fight and blaming others to cover for your own lovely actions is super aggravating. Not to mention all the stuff with the Ex.

Anyway, I thought this season was quite good and a step up from the first. I especially love the supporting cast. I wanna punch that Dr. Love dude so hard though.

The Doctor and her one friend's husband seem to always be 100% correct when talking about her too.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Gus was the shittier one in s1 but in this one he seems to make an active effort to grow and change (especially in the final eps) and has less "nice guy" bullshit going on while Mickey just becomes a cheater and compulsive liar. I'm still sympathetic, because her issues are relatable and human and the show is well-written, but she's definitely in the wrong more than Gus this season.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
I was really pleased when I saw Claudia O'Doherty in S1 because I've been hearing her in the usual comedy podcast circuit and she's always loving hilarious. Then in S2 she comes drat close to stealing the spotlight--not that Rust and Jacobs aren't really great as well. I love her perky demeanor on the surface, but the constant yet subtle self-deprecation and sarcasm just underneath the surface. It seems all in all the very solid ensemble has been allowed a lot of liberty to form their own characters because a lot of them resemble who they are in real life.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Overwined posted:

I was really pleased when I saw Claudia O'Doherty in S1 because I've been hearing her in the usual comedy podcast circuit and she's always loving hilarious.

She was one of the major draws of this show for me originally, and is even better in season 2.

On one of her Comedy Bang Bang appearances, she came on with a list of romantic comedy titles she wanted to get made. One was Never the Twains Shall Meet. The premise was that Shania Twain lived in the same house that Mark Twain once lived in, and on the property was a magical well, in which Shania and Mark could communicate, and ultimately gently caress.

She's something special.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Captain Lavender posted:

She was one of the major draws of this show for me originally, and is even better in season 2.

On one of her Comedy Bang Bang appearances, she came on with a list of romantic comedy titles she wanted to get made. One was Never the Twains Shall Meet. The premise was that Shania Twain lived in the same house that Mark Twain once lived in, and on the property was a magical well, in which Shania and Mark could communicate, and ultimately gently caress.

She's something special.

She's got a lot of sketch stuff on youtube you should check out where she does the same character as she does on CBB.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
I feel like all the people arguing over Gus vs Mickey as if one of them is good and the other is bad are completely missing the point of the show

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

little munchkin posted:

I feel like all the people arguing over Gus vs Mickey as if one of them is good and the other is bad are completely missing the point of the show

Yyyyyyuuuuuuiippppppp. All people are terrible and doubly so to those they love. This is a story about two people that want to be not-terrible to each other and their varying levels of success.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Overwined posted:

Yyyyyyuuuuuuiippppppp. All people are terrible and doubly so to those they love. This is a story about two people that want to be not-terrible to each other and their varying levels of success.

season 3 should be about Bertie and Chris getting together and moving to a mid-sized midwestern city to get away from everyone else

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
What I don't get about Claudia O'Doherty is how does she keep winning all those contests?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

PotatoJudge posted:

What I don't get about Claudia O'Doherty is how does she keep winning all those contests?

she''s really good at contests

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Overwined posted:

You can understand this and still be angry at the characters for the way they go about things. And in this case Gus realises a lot of what he did was lovely and pledges to change while Mickey doubles down on shittiness at most every opportunity

• Locked thread