Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

rdb posted:

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the well wishes. Sometimes I'm good, sometimes time just seems to stop and emotions boil over.

I will be ok. I still have my faith.

And I do have people to talk to, and anti depressants.

We're here if you ever want to rage/emote/whatever with someone(s) where you don't have to worry about affecting your relationships with people who matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

InitialDave posted:

They got me, too, took me a good couple of hours to register.

Let's be honest: if anyone could do, then it's these guys.

You know what gave it away for me? Them not linishing it, like they do everything else.

EDIT: I meant 'linishing with the airtool' as I did not realise that you can 'linish' with a belt sander, too.

spog fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 1, 2017

spog
Aug 7, 2004

bolind posted:

It's official. Kif. Inform the men. I have made it with a woman, and if all goes to plan Mrs. bolind will pop out a little rugrat in early October.

I'm three parts excited and about twenty parts freaked out, but at least it means I get to buy one of these, right?

No, this is your punishment for having the sex:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

cakesmith handyman posted:

Service the shaft driven accessories then come back to us.

That's a rather rude way to talk about his wife.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Darchangel posted:

Peaches, man.
It helps that I was born and mostly raised in the peach capital of Texas (Parker County, west of Fort Worth.)

So, I finally found out what got me released from my former contract. Turns out there were two complaints against me, one involving me being angry, apparently thinking no one was around, my big mouth, and the f-bomb. That's the one they never told me about. I don't recall the incident, but if I'm honest, it's more like I don't know *which* time I let fly with an angry "gently caress!"
The other was I was basically being an impatient jackass and more-than-mumbling "answer the phone!" while calling someone, and she picked up in time to hear it. I remember that one - it was a frustrating day filled with time-wasters.
I'm still upset that I wasn't given any warning or opportunity to address these concerns (or even apologize), but, basically, me and my big mouth and lack of self control lost me the job I'd been doing for 17 years without (much) issue. I need to work on not getting angry at work. It never ends well.
To add injury to insult, my company is reviewing my case to see if there is cause to fire me, as well.

Holy gently caress, guys, the concept of having to find a job after 17 years is kind of freaking me out.
On the plus side, I'm hoping I can find something that's not outsourced.

Amongst all this fruit talk, let me offer you my sympathy and support. It sucks.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Darchangel posted:

The hell of it is that while I've been *at* the place I was for 17 years, I've actually worked directly *for* a different company since 2010. First Wipro, then for the last 7 months my current company, because outsourcing. My old company, the host company, basically just threw away my experience with them for piss-ant reasons. It will save them exactly nothing, since the contracted price for my company's services remains the same. Oh, they might get a short term slight savings if my replacement screws up and causes penalties from not meeting SLA targets while attempting to get up to speed, but ultimately all they get is less experience.

Thanks. Ultimately, I did it to myself, or at least gave them the opening. That's something I need to improve in myself. Hopefully, I can do that.

Bollocks.

No good company fires someone with 17 years experience because they were once overheard saying a bad word.

This clearly isn't on you.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I was on a job earlier, I was asked to reinstall all the projection gear and equipment that runs it into a conference space.

I start to install all the projection gear which involves using a great big SDS drill.

"can you stop drilling please, people are complaining"

I tell them I'll just go get my quiet drill

"yeah that'd be great"

Ask me to do something and then kick off when I do it. Friday though so gently caress thissssssssssssss I'm out.

*edit: so I'm firmly with CT on the whole stupidity thing

To be fair, every time the office manager/facilities have scheduled some noisy work, it coincides with the office drones needing to take The Most Important Phone Call of the Year and nobody has warned them.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Got my car washed to help it get through the MOT. Must have worked as it flew through with no advisories

Next morning, seagull diarrhoea all over the paintwork.

Karma is balanced.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

She's amazing, and coincidentally doesn't work on my channels anymore (EMS radio channels, different depending on city and type of call), so I'm not directly making GBS threads where I eat. She's a dispatcher and I'm field crew.

Not to get too detailed, but it seems we're at exactly the same stage... experimentally...as each other.

You can say 'butt stuff' and we won't judge.

Happy to hear that you are happy (if a little sore when you sit down)

spog
Aug 7, 2004

CornHolio posted:

Not really. I love my house, I love where my house is, and I love the school district my kids are in. Moving really isn't an option.

So ask yourself where you will be in 3 years times in your current job.

if the answer is 'same' or 'better', then stay

If it is worse/unemployed, then leave

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

The original said innocent civilians, not population centers. That's even worse!

Shouty Spice strike again.

quote:

Comparing the Nazi leader with Syria’s Bashar al-Assad, Spicer told journalists during his regular press briefing at the White House: “We didn’t use chemical weapons in world war two. You had someone as despicable as Hitler who didn’t even sink to using chemical weapons.”

Asked to clarify the remarks, he added: “I think when you come to sarin gas, he was not using the gas on his own people the same way that Assad is doing.”

A reporter in the room shouted that Jews had been targeted. Stuttering and gesticulating, Spicer stumbled on: “Thank you, I appreciate that. There was not in the – he brought them into the Holocaust centres – I understand that. But I’m saying in the way that Assad used them, where he went into towns, dropped them down into the middle of towns.

“So, the use of it, I appreciate the clarification. That was not the intent.”

How do you gently caress up the basic marketing rule of 'don't mention Hitler without thinking carefully about your comments in advance'?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

I've just put my battery on charge and one of the smd LEDs in the aftermarket DRLs started emitting the smoke.

Hasty fuse pull.

That's not right!

spog
Aug 7, 2004

That's Not Good!

spog
Aug 7, 2004

You know how you start trying to clean up a tiny spot of rust on the wing and it keeps going and going and you end up realising that the entire chassis is rotten?

My dentist had that experience with my tooth last week.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Did the font change or am I going crazy?

Has for me, too.

Looks quite nice.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

bolind posted:

What's the point of an election now? May stays in power and gets five years of peace and quiet to execute Brexit line up lots of high-paying directorships/consultancies when she retires?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

fridge corn posted:

ill be a homeowner soon so tory ftw i guess??

Nobody wins.

(Except racist old people with massive pensions)

I would like to thank my American friends for allowing me to think 'well, it could be worse'

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Applebees Appetizer posted:

And oh yeah, I clean my house and make sandwiches for my son, I'm a total pussy :v:

You're a good dad and a good husband. Who cares what some two-faced, jealous loser thinks?

Only the opinion of Mrs Leica and Leica Jr. matter.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

angryrobots posted:

Hey that's great if if works for you guys.

My wife's hobby is horses and fox hunting (ie group riding in the woods and fields early in the morning in fancy clothes while drinking. There's never a fox). Her play money is staying separate from mine. :haw:

Do you also use your play money to dress up in fancy clothes and go drinking in the woods in the early morning?

Will you be my friend?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Holy poo poo there's a fully loaded Yaris hatch with a stick for sale for $4k back home. I wanted one so bad when they came out.

Rhyno posted:

She said yes!

Please no Facebook shout outs yet, we're trying to get ahold of a few family members first!

Congrats man!

But do you think your family members will care about your being given permission to buy a Yaris?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Surely if you were truly AI, you'd be using your engine coolant and a heat exchanger to sous vide under the hood.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Pah! For true phone security, you can't beat Windows Phones.

Half of our staff have phones that can access email/calendar, but not the Internet.

The other half can access the Internet, but not their email/calendar.

You will change from the first group to the second if you ever forget or mistype your password.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

funny Star Wars parody posted:

Oh lol

I've accidentally goosed her sister several times thinking it was my wife and just the other day I kissed the wrong one on the cheek because they both got their hair dyed and I wasn't paying attention

Otherwise nothing too exciting and my brother in law has done similar as me except significantly more often

'accidentally'

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Oldsmobile posted:

There's really no room for that. The battery is where the spare would be under the trunk rug and that's it. The trunk is also very small and I have poo poo to lug around.

Doesn't that come with runflat tyres?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Oldsmobile posted:

This was very informative. Thanks!

It might have. Certainly doesn't have ones on it.

I did a quick search with the company I usually buy tires (a major chain) and they don't even seem to carry runflats.
And apparently they suck too. Why, how?

lovely ride quality AND handling (quite and achievement to get both)

Personally, I would get a compressor and some Slime, which claims to be safe for TPMS:
https://www.slime.com/us/products/auto/sealants/tire-sensor-safe.php

I like the idea of a compressor because you can use it to top off your tyres if they seem a little low in the middle of nowhere.
That and a AAA card

EFB

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Oldsmobile posted:

Thanks, this was all really helpful!

if you do go down the Slime route, they do sell a kit with a compressor and the Slime in a little bag:

However, if you think you will use the compressor for anything other than emergencies (e.g. topping up during your monthly check at home), I would buy the Slime bottle on its own and buy a digital compressor (which comes in a natty case of its own) as they are infinitely better to use:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

cakesmith handyman posted:

Check with your local friendly tire place, some won't replace or repair a fix-a-flat repair because​ they can't guarantee it'll seal properly.

I know that they won't repair a tyre, because the sealant gets in the hole, but what's the problem with replacing them?

I suppose that a repair kit might be a better option, but my penultimate flat was caused by a hole that couldn't be easily found and slime might have worked.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMs9QKx-G7Y

I don't care about repairing tyres (either on the road or professionally) as i just don't feel comfortable with the idea and will replace the tyres at the first opportunity (yeah, I know repairs are probably safe, but I don't get a fuzzy feeling)

• Locked thread