Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Huh. Every NL Central team other than the Cardinals lost their first game. That seems off. I wonder if that's ever happened in the divisional era before. I assume it's impossible that every team in a division win or lose their first games, since at least one opener would be intra-division. Still at work so can't check on BBRef.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
the Braves bullpen is absolutely dire.

Also Tyler Flowers is garbage

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

I was really hoping to not have to limp through another entire season solely on the strength of "well, at least Freddie Freeman is awesome"

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Phonoxen
Feb 15, 2017

As you can see, we've had our eye on you for some time now, Mr. Anderson.

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

if you are relying on White Sox castoffs, you are in trouble

our DH today was supposed to be Cody Asche

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

Phonoxen posted:

if you are relying on White Sox castoffs, you are in trouble

our DH today was supposed to be Cody Asche

He's platooning with Matt Davidson, what could go wrong?

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

TheChaosPath posted:

I was really hoping to not have to limp through another entire season solely on the strength of "well, at least Freddie Freeman is awesome"

Braves fan here. I live in orlando, watch spring training games and have a good friend who works for the Mississippi team. After watching and studying the pitching, we are going to have a roller coaster year.

Honestly, outside of Teheran, this staff is put together just to make it a few months until the youngsters arrive. It's awful.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
News: Red Sox won today

Views: :feelsgood:

The 2017 ROTY hit a homer, Jackie Bradley made some great plays and Porcello didn't pull that lame 'follow up a breakout season with a klunker on opening day' thing I see a lot. Gotta admit, I'm much more excited to see Sale pitch tomorrow though.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Don't forget, if you're one of the 10 T-Mobile customers on Earth, like I have the misfortune of being, you can at least get MLB.TV for free!

if you download their t-mobile tuesdays app, tomorrow it will give you MLB.tv for free for the season.

You have to redeem it before 5am on wednesday though.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
I had to watch from the airport today, so just now when I was looking up if the Dodgers are playing tomorrow, I thought to myself, "it'll be nice to listen to Vin tomorrow night."

:smith:

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

davecrazy posted:

So happy baseball is back.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

the Braves bullpen is absolutely dire.

N: My 9 year old daughter looked up from her homework during the 7th inning of that game and said "Wow, they're really Barvsing it up."

V: My 9 year old daughter is pretty cool.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

:boom:

(I'd have gone Dozier-Mauer-Grossman-Buxton against lefties, but things worked out pretty well)

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Lumpy posted:

N: My 9 year old daughter looked up from her homework during the 7th inning of that game and said "Wow, they're really Barvsing it up."

V: My 9 year old daughter is pretty cool.

Parent of the century, right here.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Don't forget, if you're one of the 10 T-Mobile customers on Earth, like I have the misfortune of being, you can at least get MLB.TV for free!

if you download their t-mobile tuesdays app, tomorrow it will give you MLB.tv for free for the season.

You have to redeem it before 5am on wednesday though.

T-Mobile is fine for me :confuoot:

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

So it looks like dingers are going to remain up this year? I'm here for it, good pitching is cool and all but a mammoth homer is still the best

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Phillies won, Hernandez and Galvis hit dingers

small sample sizes woo

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

chilihead posted:

Honestly, outside of Teheran, this staff is put together just to make it a few months until the youngsters arrive. It's awful.

Folty could be really good this year! Of course, he could also have a total meltdown and start the process of his career flaming out of control. I don't really see much in between.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

sharknado slashfic posted:

T-Mobile is fine for me :confuoot:

I get one dot at home, and 2-3 at best in the major city I live near.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Ok forgive me for being dumb, but what is the origin of "Barves?" Just a typo that caught on?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Your Taint posted:

Ok forgive me for being dumb, but what is the origin of "Barves?" Just a typo that caught on?

That's Cube.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Your Taint posted:

As far as I know, yeah. You could get knock-off Barves t-shirts outside the stadium for a few bucks and it became a bit of meme. I think MLB put out a C&D on anyone making them for online sales.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I get the distinct feeling like this season will just be a continuation of last season's last second meltdown by the Texas Rangers.

I've got zero faith in this ball club after that playoff "appearance."

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Hand Knit posted:

The Jays offence is going to be absolutely horrific this year, isn't it?

No

maybe

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I think the roster problems are pretty significant:

Darwin Barney 4th OFer.

Justin Smoak, best hitter off the bench.

Jason Grilli and Aaron Loup getting high leverage innings.

Shapiro/Atkins are really bad at roster management.

Most of that is true but Grilli pitched great in high leverage situations last year

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
Nothing takes the sting out of a Jays loss like the soothing balm of a Rangers loss.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Shinjobi posted:

last season's last second meltdown by the Texas Rangers.

That was more their Pythag catching up to them.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I went to Opening Day today with my dad :unsmith:

to see the Rangers :smithicide:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

YOUR first place Houston Astros

(after one game)

(just like the last five years in a row and look how far that's gotten them)

e: Even though the Astros won, scoring three totals runs in a game in which they hit two home runs and had very little offense otherwise (including 0fers from McCann and Beltran who both looked terrible in all their ABs) rings a little too much like last season for comfort

Also Altuve looked really uncomfortable at the plate aside from his one hit which was a first pitch swingin' thing, a severe departure from last season :ohdear:

Intruder fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Apr 4, 2017

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Grilli pitched great in high leverage situations last year

That's just not true.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
I'm gonna win the 5.6 million from beat the streak and then retire this year. Yep, sounds like a good plan

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Intruder posted:

YOUR first place Houston Astros

(after one game)

(just like the last five years in a row and look how far that's gotten them)

e: Even though the Astros won, scoring three totals runs in a game in which they hit two home runs and had very little offense otherwise (including 0fers from McCann and Beltran who both looked terrible in all their ABs) rings a little too much like last season for comfort

Also Altuve looked really uncomfortable at the plate aside from his one hit which was a first pitch swingin' thing, a severe departure from last season :ohdear:

Felix was due to have a passable outing against the Stros.

I'll take it as a positive sign that Keuchel and the defense were up to task.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

N: Dingers
V: Dingers!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

tadashi posted:

Excuse me, I believe the correct term is "dong".

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

tadashi posted:

The Mets won yesterday without hitting any! :toot:

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Also, thread title checks out.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Blind Pineapple posted:

Felix was due to have a passable outing against the Stros.

I'll take it as a positive sign that Keuchel and the defense were up to task.

True but Altuve striking out lunging at a slider two feet outside in the dirt on a full count is a little too 2013 Altuve for my tastes

But yes it's just one game I know

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Apparently Felix's groin is fine, and he was only taken out as a precautionary measure. He still averaged only 13 pitches an inning which is pretty dang good, aside from the dingers. The one to Springer was a meatball right down the plate, but the one to Correa was way inside so it's hard to be mad at a hitter capitalizing on that.

Now I just wish the Mariners could get hits :sigh:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Keuchel was dealing filth it's hard to blame the Mariners hitters

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

N: M. Tanaka (2.2 IP, 8 H, 7 ER, 23.83 ERA)

V: I love day one stats. Let's see if CC's line will be any worse :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

tadashi posted:

Also, thread title checks out.

It should also include the Reds

• Locked thread