Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Sent this story to my friend who doesn't play ss13 about what happened last night and thought the thread might enjoy it too:

I hopped on last night and noticed nobody was playing security officer (cop). I had never played it before so I decided why not give it a shot since one incompetent sec is better than none. Well, literally within the first 2 minutes of walking into the station from arrivals, I got injected with a mindslave implant which meant I had to follow the commands of the traitor who injected me, a mechanic named Stephen Colbert.

He told me to arrest someone, and I flashed them and managed to figure out how to cuff them before they got up. The told me I didn't say what I arrested them for, so I told them "troublemaking". They had been messing around with teleportation, so they were upset that I apparently considered that worthy of being arrested.

Following Stephen with the captive as he instructed, he took us to the airlocks, where he told me to remove her earpiece (i didn't know how to do that so he did it himself when I didn't do it right away) and throw her into space.

Well, I've never thrown anyone in ss13 before so I tried some obvious things but couldn't get it to work. Went to type `say "how do I do that"` but I didn't have focus in the text box (in retrospect I should have used `ooc` or something)
which meant when I typed the `s` I walked down and out of the airlock, dropping my captive and drifting off into space. Naturally, I collided with the scaffolding that was outside the station and was able to jump back to the airlock and into the station again but uhhh my master was not pleased.

Eventually I ran back into him and he offered me a cigarette. I thanked him for it, knowing full well that it was probably going to blow me up or poison me when I lit the thing. Still, master knows best. I went to medbay to get my frozen-in-space damage healed up then made my way to the bar to find a lighter.

Got one out of a vending machine, Stephen Colbert is there at the bar, he sees me buying the thing and sitting at the bar. He moves away very quickly as I light the thing and take the first drag. And as expected the thing blows up, gibbing my foot off and killing the person sitting next to me.
I hobble to medbay to get patched up, and as they are doing that, Stephen shows up and blows up medbay, nearly absolutely destroying me.

It is at this point that the mindslave implant has worn off

So here I am, barely conscious muttering things about Stephen Colbert taking over my brain as a surviving doctor tries to patch me up in the darkness of the now obliterated medbay.

Eventually I get fixed up including getting a new foot stapled on. So I begin looking for that Colbert bastard. Run into him a couple times but he gets away.

Eventually the shuttle is called and someone drags in a port-a-brig, and I can hear the grumblings of Stephen Colbert coming from inside. Thank goodness someone knew what they were doing.

The person and I drag the port-a-brig into the sec-only chamber of the shuttle, waiting to arrive at central and for the round to end.

Suddenly, someone from the passenger cabin opens the sec door, pulls Stephen out of the brig, and then Stephen sprints out of sec cabin and out of the airlock, sending himself into the void of hyperspace.

Turns out his last objective was to die. Good for him.

And that was my first time playing sec

Ruzihm fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

ZeusCannon posted:

Oh man if youd have just lit up next to him id have laughed forever. Good story though

was thinking about it but I didn't want an admin to yell at me after I'd already unintentionally disobeyed orders :shobon:

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Vengarr posted:

While you're dead, try playing as a Ghost Drone to learn how to repair/construct things. Again, ghost drones are very useful but non-essential. People will ignore you, and you are obligated by the rules to ignore them back.

After you have basic controls and concepts down, go Staff Assistant and bug the Captain or HoP for access to whatever department you want to learn. You won't take up a job slot this way, and people will cut you a lot of slack if your ID badge says "Med Student" instead of "Doctor". Make sure to also request a jumpsuit that matches whatever department you're joining, or you'll be seen as just another Grey Menace.

These here are good suggestions for people like me who can sort of do a few jobs and/or are still bad with controls. Thanks!! Apparently ghost drones have been around for a few years! Had no idea they even existed

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

DarkDobe posted:

What's to stop you crushering the disk in any case? Is there some recourse for the operatives?

I mean yeah it's metagamey as hell to destroy it - but if the captain does do that after seeing there's nukies - is there some alternative for them? Or are they just hosed at that point?

on goon, the disk is optional and just reduces the countdown (or increases it if a crewmember uses it)

quote:

An entirely optional objective that can nevertheless be vital to your planning. When used on an armed bomb, it modifies the countdown depending on who inserted it: 3 minutes less (operative) or 3 minutes more (crew member). Needless to say, the first outcome is vastly preferable from your perspective. The disk can generally be found in the captain's pocket and if your team decides to send somebody after him (be it undercover or not) in preparation for the main strike, remember that he is armed and likely to expect trouble.
The Syndicate team leader spawns with a special red pinpointer in his backpack. It tracks the location of the authentication disk and should be given to the operative who has been tasked with obtaining it.

edit: on other servers where the disk is mandatory, it respawns if it exits the z level. consider recursively containing and deep frying it

Ruzihm fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Apr 26, 2019

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Zamujasa posted:

It used to do that here too, but that was removed at the same time the nuke no longer needed to be armed at the Syndicate shuttle but instead on the station somewhere (a very good change).

The Auth disk also includes actual authentication codes for a handful of things, and as said, increases the countdown by 3 if a loyal crew member uses it on the nuke. Crushering it is a pretty bad idea.

I was that person! I was dismantling his teleporter traps that dropped you into the crusher, and I guess he didn't like that.

Spacing yourself was a hilarious twist that I wasn't expecting, as I was completely helpless -- arrested, grabbed, and primed to be spaced. It gave me enough of an opportunity to run away, hop on a forklift someone left out, and escape my would-be murderers, surviving all the way to the shuttle.

You did well.

Oh! Dang no wonder he wanted you gone. I'm really glad to hear you had fun despite me trying to kill you haha :)

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

newbies, remember: keep an eye on your intent!

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Oh yea I was wondering... is there a chance we could change the name of the "illegal immigrant" trait to "undocumented immgrant" or "undocumented"? I think it's actually more in the spirit of the actual mechanics of the trait anyway.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Zoig posted:

I managed to figure out how to mine, instantly got irradiated while mining, and forgot my oxygen. I died in medsci while trying to stablize myself and figure out syringes.

the last time I tried mining I got irradiated, hulked out of my suit, and was rendered unintelligible. I wound up back inside mining with no id, no suit, and unable to ask AI or anyone to open the door. I ended up dying stuck in the disposal pipes after climbing into the chute and flushing myself out of desperation.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Mutadone too!

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

dmboogie posted:

ooh, I like this and have a wonderful idea: stowaways spawn in a random locker somewhere in the station.

you're preparing to have another uneventful day as quartermaster when some rear end in a top hat kicks his way out of your uniform locker, screams, and flushes himself down disposals

this owns

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

https://twitter.com/RobotAndAIWorld/status/1124634457875582976

bee bots on the ISS

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

EclecticTastes posted:

Hey, as a suggestion, maybe set it so when the shuttle is automatically called because nearly everyone's dead, it can't be sent back, so that the round can't be held hostage for two hours by just one or two turbonerds.

Seconding this!!!

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

when the station spots a syndie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSxECJNYPuA

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

can the chef make stuff out of charcoal? Good for those times you chem is acting a little suspicious

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

anyone in this thread workin with the unitystation folks?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/801140/unitystation/
https://github.com/unitystation/unitystation

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

SnotGrumble posted:

I know everyone is making jokes, but I always thought a 1st person implementation using the Source engine would be an easy start for attempting a 3D SS13. At its core, it could be a lot like The Ship, except in space.

It would never have all the crazy poo poo that can be done in Beyond, like turning someone into a Macho Man that can bust through walls, or a Chaos Dunk that destroys the station, but you can at least assign some people as traitors with the task of murdering another player in secret, and let anything you pick up be a melee weapon or something.

the ship was amazing

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

cock hero flux posted:

if there's no law, there is no crime

:anarchists:

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

hmm anal vore or tail vore so many choices

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Unitystation is licensed under AGPL, anyone who runs it or forks of it is obligated to provide source code at request to anyone who runs or receives output produced by the software. In other words, you'd better only let people you trust not to share source code onto your server if you want to have a private fork.

This is good imo

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

jonathan posted:

Is this unity station a playable thing ? I would like to play this game or a game like it but I just can't do the bad graphics and interface.

Yeah, it's playable but there are a lot of missing features still. https://youtu.be/t5GC9bWVP8o

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Angry Diplomat posted:

5% chance for this variant to show up instead, offering miraculous joints that mitigate vacuum damage and oxygenate your blood when smoked

yes

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

I've been contributing to unitystation and they're about to release a new version, hope its a good improvement :kiddo:

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Zamujasa posted:

even things like the hover effects require a server round-trip
:vincefrog: byond

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

crossposting from the dead by daylight thread because this would be a funny mod event

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

monolithburger posted:

I've always thought a SS13 themed Lego or Playmobile set would be hilarious.

piss not included

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

gameMotif posted:

Hey, I made a short-story quest-thread-type Space Station 13 fancomic, as a tribute and love-letter to the entire SS13 community. Figured this was one of the good spots to link it. If you're interested, you can read it at https://mspfa.com/?s=39295&p=1.

hey i finally got around to reading this and it was good