Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

joat mon posted:

And a fossil fuel (carbon) tax would be too!

The carbon tax at least is a good idea though in terms of shaping incentives, especially if it's offset by other progressive taxes. But yeah, that's not how a Trump administration and Republican Congress are going to implement it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

psydude posted:

McConnell is taking a gamble, just like Reid did, that he doesn't lose the Senate majority in 2018.

2018 is really unlikely, it's an ugly map for Democrats. At this pace though, who the hell knows.

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I've been wondering if they might not just put everything back eventually during a lame duck session.

Rule changes only take a simple majority, so it wouldn't make a difference. If the other party is an incoming majority they can change it right back in the next session and (justifiably) point out the rules fuckery from the outgoing party.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

How much VX released over Seoul is an acceptable amount?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Not that it hasn't been talked to death, but how in the world could they have thought that it makes more sense to forcibly drag a dude out rather than bumping the incentive until someone takes it?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

cowboy elvis posted:

The simple answer is that guy didn't have room to refuse if I'm understanding aviation procedure for following crew orders. There's also a max compensation an airline can offer, which is 1300 bucks in check form.

No one says if that was offered, so the aviation police went with assaulting the dude. I'm not lawyer but maybe that's where the passenger has room for legal action.

Under what authority? Is the FAA going to fine them or something if they decide an extra few hundred dollars is worth avoiding a violent situation?

edit: Looks like it's Department of Transportation, and those are just minimum standards. The airline has to offer you the smaller of 400% of your fare/$1350 for delays longer than 2 hrs. They can offer more.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Apr 11, 2017

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

So turning rubble into finer rubble?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

FBS posted:

Is there a technical reason the news is using the term "non-nuclear" instead of "conventional" to describe the MOAB?

Or do they just assume the general public doesn't know what "conventional" means?

With chemical and biological weapons more or less off the table, the US arsenal is basically "nuclear" and "not nuclear". Saying that this is the biggest bomb we have, except for the nuclear ones, provides useful context I guess?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

I have my doubt those represent anything actually real in terms of usable munitions. Those are just mock ups.

Would dropping cardboard bombs on that parade be an act of war?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

A Bad Poster posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't most of the white collar jobs that people from other countries occupying ones that would otherwise be vacant because there aren't enough people qualified domestically to fill them?

Technically, kinda. Companies can put out listings with unrealistically low pay, cite insufficient domestic talent, and apply for an H-1B. Or just pay more than some statutory rate that's way below market wages and not even be subject to that requirement.

There's still probably a shortage of domestic engineers in the US even under ideal labor practices, but H-1Bs are also being overused to depress wages.

Bernard McFacknutah posted:

Theresa May is calling a snap election in the UK, pretty smart thing to do at the moment as Labour are a loving joke and the Lib Dems keep themselves busy by sniffing their own irrelevant farts.

On-demand elections combined with US politics would be amazing.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Apr 18, 2017

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Like, the impression is that there's a job for a data analyst paying 60k annually that would be available for an American with a BA and some work experience. A company applies for an H1B visa, and dumps an Indian dude in that position and pays them 48k annually. This drives down the average wage for the "data analyst" job description everywhere in the US.

This is not happening.

There's a job for a data analyst paying 60k annually that would be available for an American with a BA and some work experience. A company applies for an H1B visa, and dumps an Indian dude with Master's equivalent education in the job and pays him 60k while under-rating his qualification. They then extend the visa or sponsor a greencard while keeping him there, and he doesn't have a lot of leeway to negotiate for a raise or switch jobs, because that's how the system works.

This creates the impression that you now need a Master's for the same positions across all industries, because Infosys/whatever the Indian outsourcing companies are loving over dudes in silicon valley, thus deflating the equivalent pay a Master's degree could command for any data analyst position anywhere.

THIS IS BAD, don't get me wrong, but please argue that the companies doing this get hosed, and that the loophole gets closed, instead of arguing that jobs are literally being torn away from Americans by foreigners getting paid 40% less, thus depressing wages for literally the entire rest of the industry.

How is this not the same thing? The company needs, say, a senior-level person and the going pay is $90k. They put up a non-specific job posting offering $60k and (surprise!) they get mostly junior-level applicants who aren't qualified for the senior role they want. This gives them the opening to cry about it and apply to sponsor H1-B employees, who are willing to work for the lower wages. This puts downward pressure on the wages of Americans.

And you only have to prove you looked for Americans below $60k or something like that. If you're offering more, the requirements loosen significantly - that's the number that Congress is discussing raising.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

facialimpediment posted:

Best Korea is trolling American satellites by playing volleyball at their nuclear test site.

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/854680332272099328

There's a Top Gun joke somewhere in here.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Missionary Positron posted:

Authoritarians love making GBS threads on judges because for them they are roadblocks preventing them from having all the power.

Literally the reason for a judiciary.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/pavarotti-widow-tells-trump-stop-using-nessun-dorma-campaign-n614721

quote:

Pavarotti Widow Tells Trump to Stop Using ‘Nessun Dorma’ in Campaign

Luciano Pavarotti's widow has told Donald Trump to stop playing the tenor's most famous aria at campaign events, saying the billionaire's values are "incompatible" with the world's most recognized opera singer.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Flikken posted:

Good. Then my industry won't grind to a halt.

For those of you not clear about what happens to you during a shutdown - the last one happened in 2013. That was the first one in nearly a generation, but this time around chances are you've got coworkers who have an idea how it's going to go down.

e: That is, ask them.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 22, 2017

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

Well, yeah, I was using hyperbole, but it was more to illustrate just how many people live month to month or bi-weekly for those who get paid bi-weekly.

Right - at the societal level there's a lot of policy changes that could be made to improve income inequality, create savings options for those not making a ton of money, improve the fragile employment situation of the working poor, better provide for financial education, etc.

But come on. On a personal level if you are drawing a reliable paycheck and not getting that for two weeks is going to seriously put you out, you done hosed up.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

BigDave posted:

Did 'no-go zones' ever actually exist in the US? I always thought they were a holdover from the Troubles, where the British Army couldn't go into certain parts of Belfast.

There are some parts of a good number of large US cities where's it's probably inadvisable to walk alone at night. Those areas are a lot smaller and the risk a lot lower than it was in, say, the late 1970s, for a number of different reasons.

But urban crime has always had a dogwhistle element to it. The people who are most paranoid about it and demand heavy-handed crackdowns are also about the least likely to actually be victimized.

e: In the context of the conversation, no, there are not and have not really been, even when crime rates were at their highest, any parts of US cities where the de facto rule of law was an organized gang not under state control. It is primarily random crime that causes people to skirt those neighborhoods.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Apr 24, 2017

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

My buddies are telling me that all the bullshit to the side, the F-35 is a goddamn impressive fighter.

It's gonna be beautiful when we can darken the skies with these beauties. Their stealth is better than even the F-22 supposedly.. which I buy since two engines are harder to mask than one. And it's got a ton of thrust out of that engine. The avionics package on the thing is just bonkers- and they haven't even come close to dialing it all in yet. It's already game changing good- with a goddamn lot of room to grow.

They're apparently just as big of a game changer as the F-22 was a few years back. And that's a big bar to jump because Raptors were essentially god mode.

I wanna know more about F-35 vs F-22 like you wouldn't believe but it's all still apparently highly classified. I get snippets and anecdotes. Apparently the F-35 is really goddamned stealthy. That much has been confirmed multiple times.

Game changing how exactly? Even if the F-35 matched every claim, we already have or can easily attain total air dominance over any country where doing so wouldn't spark a nuclear war. This plane ... makes that a bit easier? It's still basically the same calculus for foreign policy.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Godholio posted:

The F-35 is not an air dominance fighter. It's for bringing bombs and penetrating advanced IADS that were specifically designed for keeping F-15s, 16s, 18s, and B-52s and B-1s literally hundreds of miles out.

Wrong words, substitute in whatever term means "able to fly around at will". The point is that even without the F-35 and F-22, the US is perfectly capable of ending any anti-air capabilities of any country where doing so would not start a nuclear war. The handful of countries with relatively modern Russian SA-s don't have them in greater numbers than can be handled with B-2s and cruise missiles.

So as far as making decisions about using military power, the F-35 isn't a "game changer" as you put. Even accepting the most optimistic assessment of its capabilities, it's an incremental improvement to and future proofing of the existing advantage the US has in the air.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

So they're getting rid of all deductions ... except those for mortgage interest, charity, and retirement savings.

Other than employer-provided health insurance (lol at trying to get rid of that one), that's ... well, just about all of them by value.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Waroduce posted:

So last day to prevent shut down yeah? Where we at on this one

One week CR looks imminent.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

psydude posted:

I have a wholly unsubstantiated suspicion that Trump may not run for reelection in 2020, given how much he hates being president so far.

e: The new tax plan is hilarious. It turbofucks anyone making under about $110,000 per year (the people who the majority of those deductions helped) while giving the upper middle class a hilarious payday.

They're not actually touching any significant deductions :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

It's hard to handle all this winning.

• Locked thread