Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
it's going to be so loving funny if the Lib Dems go into coalition with the Tories again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I support the republican candidate, Jeremy Corbyn

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Orbin' for Corbyn

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

sincx posted:

I hate how the color of the good and bad guys are reversed in the UK. Takes a few seconds to context switch every time.

blame our news stations for arbitrarily picking the opposite colors from everywhere else in the world in the 2000 election

yes, "red state" and "blue state" were invented then

though the idea of Democrats as an actual Red party is admittedly laughable

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Gum posted:

I have confirmation from several memes that he in fact did

what policies will the new Jeb!bed parliament set out in their Queen's Speech?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

Could he credibly oppose brexit at this point?

Not really. Labour's voter base is divided over the issue far more than the other parties' voters are. He has to do a tightrope act here: on the one hand he wants to respect the outcome of a legitimate (if really stupid) referendum and needs to retain his appeal to a working-class population that has been harmed by globalization, and on the other hand Brexit is going to be a shitshow and everyone knows it. So his strategy is basically to talk up good left-wing policy that would be hampered by remaining in the EU (like nationalization of several industries) while also demanding that the Tory government retain all the good things about EU membership (which they definitely can't do). Also, as leader of the opposition, he doesn't want party to look fractured and uncertain; hence all the three-line Brexit whips.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

it seems like a weakness of the parliamentary system that your own ministers might try to usurp you

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

way to fampaign for labor

yeah becoming a Jeremy Corbyn surrogate is an interesting turn for May

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I’m the left ear they repositioned under Corbyn's jaw

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Jose posted:

brexit is far dumber than trump but its also a lot harder to understand so its more reasonable why people voted for it since they were lied to or hate immigrants

trump was out there being a colossal retard the entire campaign and people still voted for him

Hillary spent multiple months in a row doing nothing but gladhanding multi-millionaires at their estates while trump yelled about JOBS

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I'm glad this guy is so strongly in favor of Jeremy Corbyn

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

i say swears online posted:

lmao does stormont (and the two other devolved parliaments) not have the power to change time?

whoa I think I discovered a new way to stop brexit

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Hexyflexy posted:

Easy, make it so you have to contribute for NHS treatment in proportion to the assets you hold. With that being 0 at say sub 250k.

means testing is stupid and bad

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

XMNN posted:

Welsh people are British so would be a bit hosed up if they hated themselves imho

that sounds like an extremely British thing to do

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Elman posted:

I read them ages ago but I don't remember it being noticeable in the original books. As far as I know he only lost his poo poo post 9/11.

Then he started going back and rewriting and suddenly his characters were pontificating about traditional family values and his awful politics and at this point if he ever releases the last book it'll be about how it's perfectly ok to genocide the new aliens because it turns out they're Muslims or something like that.

pretty sure in his last one he reveals that the aliens who got genocided the first time around actually deserved it after all

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Elevator Screamer posted:

He is, but he's a crap party leader. He's a very principled politician and sticks to his ethical views, but he can't work the political system with any level of competence. I feel unclean for saying it, but a Blair-style Labour labour who was capable of making backroom deals, playing the game, and wooing the media would have annihilated the Tories over this whole fiasco. Just look how much they've self-imploded without any serious opposition.

he can’t woo the media because his politics are fundamentally a threat to their owners, hth

same reason Tories are terrified of voting out a PM they hate

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

that disclaimer is incredible

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Attorney at Funk posted:

it's hard to see where may's going to find enough tory support to trigger an early election

the most fitting outcome to this whole thing would be May’s deal fails again but she can't trigger new elections when she calls for them because the rest of the Tories, the DUP, and the CUKs vote it down

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

marktheando posted:

What do americans say if they need to distinguish between the stuff they use to wash dishes and the stuff they use to wash themselves?

dish soap
hand soap
bar of soap

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

jesus WEP posted:

TIRED: “im not racist, but”
WIRED: “im racist, and”

improv classes have gotten even weirder

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

BioMe posted:

Dude what are you even suggesting here, disbanding the EU or outright vassalization of the smaller countries?

here's my experience as an American: disproportionate representation of smaller member states is Bad.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

marktheando posted:

Yeah but unlike the US constitution nobody considers EU treaties to be sacred documents from the sainted founders. We can change them later easily enough if that becomes a problem.

nobody really thought the us constitution was sacred until like 150 years later

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

euphronius posted:

they have expiration dates now.

that are set in the amendment bill itself, so you can propose and pass one without an expiration date if you want

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Doc Hawkins posted:

You absolutely could

For precisely that reason I doubt the us would openly invade a western european country, even in this already ludicrous hypothetical

(We might try a Bay of Pigs though)

our military adventurism would be so much more fun if we just picked random European countries to invade every ten years

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Pokémon Britain is brexiting too. no foreigns allowed

Zoran has issued a correction as of 20:53 on Jun 11, 2019

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

the second word is a problem too

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

sullat posted:

Isn't a stable pound a fairy tale, like Harry Potter or King Arthur?

“stable pound” is actually a code phrase used by the British pedophile ring

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Doctor Jeep posted:

just lmao if brexit turns the UK into the kingdom of england

no, the funniest outcome is “The United Kingdom of England and Northern Ireland.”

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i know everyone thinks england has won the stupidest country contest but i've been informed by ukmt that there is a path for the US to pull ahead again

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wo...-Letterman.html

he renounced his us citizenship I’m pretty sure

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

ikanreed posted:

*Some senile old lady has veto power over every single law and owns every swan

it's this one

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

neutral milf hotel posted:

what does this mean? the Torres lost majority? and can't literally whip peasants anymore?

the Westminster system usually has stronger party discipline because they use literal whips to keep the MPs in line. MPs are so thoroughly conditioned that they beg to be whipped, and refusing to whip them is equivalent to kicking them out of the party

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Frijolero posted:

So Corbyn's position is an extension first and then an election?

yes, because Johnson wanted to call an election first and then do some fuckery to move it after no-deal brexit, so they’re taking his gun away first

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Atrocious Joe posted:

your island needs a new daycare for the capitalists and arisocrats

there is a way for the people to take care of them

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

GTO posted:

So if there's an election and Labour win, what happens then? They go for a brexit deal or do we get a referendum on whatever deal it ends up being vs remain?

Yes

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Dravs posted:

Just in case anybody is getting confused by this, and keeping up with my thing where I defend people who probably don't deserve it; trying to oust Tom Watson, who is the elected deputy leader of Labour, using tactics that amount to a coup, makes Labour, and especially Momentum, look like absolute hypocritical maniacs. The tory rags are almost certainly in heaven right now and will spin it out for as long as they absolutely can.

If you are unable to understand how much this hurts labours election ambitions then there is probably not much hope for you.

The only saving grace is Corbyn was able to stop it when he was. If you want to get rid of Watson (which would be great imo) then vote him out at the next leadership election.

hypocrisy doesn’t matter

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

i say swears online posted:

do all British men have dicknames

it’s how they amuse themselves on their lovely island

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

no language has an official body that governs what is correct

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

foreverially brexit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Morter posted:

since we're not talking about anything, here's something else i don't get

what does the sentence ender ", op" mean/come from?

original poster, op