Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yug
Aug 6, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

GobiasIndustries posted:

I'm still surprised that 3 QBs went that high (and got traded up for) but if you really think you've got your next franchise QB you kinda need to go for it. I just really don't understand why the Bears made that trade though, I can't believe that KC or Houston would have realistically jumped up that far and other than the Jets I don't think any other team in the top 20 picks or so would have been willing to jump that for for a new QB either.

Everyone laughed at Lynch being made GM including me, but the 49ers had a great draft. That trade was absolutely mindbogglingly dumb for chicago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

No Irish Need Imply posted:

I hope my fellow Bengals posters are happy with that pick because I'm ecstatic. What a great pick. Hopefully the defensive side of this draft is as deep as everyone says because the Bengals are gonna have to make a fun on that side of the ball only for most of the rest of this draft but that offensive round 1 pick, ooee!!!

I like John Ross a lot, but I have some serious issues with taking him at 9, especially with barnett, jonathan allen, etc still on the board. Either way the way things are lining up we'll probably taking loving mixon at 41 and I can't root for a team with that dude on it so who cares!

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/danwiederer/status/857821232686915584

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
Jamal Adams is a good and smart pick and I'm really happy. Part of me wanted the Jets to trade down and pick Watson but I know that is a dumb thing to think.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Kevin King will be available later, Seattle needs to grab Lamp or another OL at 34.

Our CB2 at the moment is Perrish loving Cox. Assuming King will be available later is kinda playing with fire.

With all the O-linemen falling, there should be no shortage of options in the 2nd/3rd rounds. Just take King at 34 and stop overthinking your high picks for once.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

lol

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Intruder posted:

The Texans have basically punted on their 2018 draft so I guess this year is basically boom or bust

The dude next to me at the bar was super excited about Watson so hopefully he knows more than me. I was disgusted by the JJ Watt pick so

If the Texans go to the AFCCG but lose in a squeaker but Watson was good how upset would you be?

I guess I'm curious what threshold would losing those two picks be worth it?

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Apr 28, 2017

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

True leadership.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

GobiasIndustries posted:

I'm still surprised that 3 QBs went that high (and got traded up for) but if you really think you've got your next franchise QB you kinda need to go for it. I just really don't understand why the Bears made that trade though, I can't believe that KC or Houston would have realistically jumped up that far and other than the Jets I don't think any other team in the top 20 picks or so would have been willing to jump that for for a new QB either.
I'd guess the Chiefs really felt that Cleveland was going to take Mahomes. Not really sure why the Texans panicked though.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Bad Moon posted:

If the Texans go to the AFCCG but lose in a squeaker but Watson was good how upset would you be?

Is there a better (realistic) team you could put Watson on than the Texans? Maybe have him sit a year in Arizona, but other than that I can't think of anywhere.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I haven't paid attention to any of the prospects after the first round. Why is everyone super hype on Kevin King? NFL.com lists three other CB prospects with the same grade as him, and nine more who are similarly graded.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

GobiasIndustries posted:

I just really don't understand why the Bears made that trade though, I can't believe that KC or Houston would have realistically jumped up that far and other than the Jets I don't think any other team in the top 20 picks or so would have been willing to jump that for for a new QB either.

If I had to guess I'd say they were worried about the Jags/Trubinski rumors? Those were all over earlier in the day and would have been a pretty feasible trade up in theory, although I kinda doubt they were ever true.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

SKULL.GIF posted:

I haven't paid attention to any of the prospects after the first round. Why is everyone super hype on Kevin King? NFL.com lists three other CB prospects with the same grade as him, and nine more who are similarly graded.

6'3"

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

richard sherman sized guy out of UW, i wonder

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Bad Moon posted:

I guess I'm curious what threshold would losing those two picks be worth it?

If Watson pans out I will be fine but I also don't picture it happening

Top 15 QB within the next three years will make me happy

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

lmao a Temple player was drafted before anyone from Bama roll tide

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Alaois posted:

lmao a Temple player was drafted before anyone from Bama roll tide

he looks good too

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

hifi posted:

he looks good too

Hasaan Reddick owns and deserves to be drafted that high.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
is mike williams the one that clowned lattimore

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Febreeze posted:

Giants needed a tight end extremely badly, so just for that I'm happy. Dont know if Engram is any good, can someone inform me

He plays a lot like Jordan Reed so it's no coincidence that he's compared to him constantly. He'll never be a mauling inline blocker but he'll open up a lot of options for the Giants and make them much harder to defend the same way teams did last year.

Basic cover 2 looks shut the Giants' 11 personnel down because they can't run on it and they couldn't win in the middle of the field, especially deep middle. Engram is crazy fast for his size so he'll help a lot running down the seam and defeating the look that gave the Giants the most trouble last year. He's not gonna make people think he's Gronk with his blocking, but he's probably already a better blocker than any TE on the Giants last year. Yeah that's about as low of a bar as there could be to clear, but with his receiving upside it makes a difference. If teams start treating him as a 4th WR and playing dime against the Giants' 11 personnel then there's no excuse not to be able to run on it. If they treat him as a TE and play nickel then Engram should win matchups against most linebackers in the league and force defenses to defend the Giants' differently on the whole.

McAdoo has also shown in the past that he can scheme run games that minimize the importance of TE blocking by giving them easier assignments like chipping backside ends; it's just that dudes like Larry Donnell were so loving bad that they couldn't even pull these simple assignments off.

I like the pick a lot for those reasons. Also because this draft sucks for OL and I'm just really really happy that Reese didn't reach for a mediocre OL prospect that might not even be better than Ereck Flowers this season.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

R.D. Mangles posted:

noooooooooooooooooooo

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Ted did well with the trade. He can spend all day today and tomorrow arranging trade downs with stupid GM's that have the owner breathing down their neck.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Benne posted:

Our CB2 at the moment is Perrish loving Cox. Assuming King will be available later is kinda playing with fire.

With all the O-linemen falling, there should be no shortage of options in the 2nd/3rd rounds. Just take King at 34 and stop overthinking your high picks for once.

I dunno. There's Lamp, Morton, Robinson and then a whole lot of nothing as far as o-line is concerned. For CB you have Tabor, King, Desmond King, Jones, Wilson, Moreau and a host of day 3 guys that should be able to compete for starting positions. This draft is obscenely loaded at corner and it makes me feel a little crappy that my team took a high upside project in the middle 1st.

a neat cape posted:

is mike williams the one that clowned lattimore

Mike Williams clowned everybody. Still can't believe both San Diego and Tennessee passed on Malik the Freak. Ints are real important and good you guys.

The Puppy Bowl fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Apr 28, 2017

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Mike Williams clowned everybody. Still can't believe both San Diego and Tennessee passed on Malik the Freak. Ints are real important and good you guys.

It's such a strange feeling as a Colts fan to feel completely positive about a defensive draft pick. God bless that bizarre run on WRs.

Edit: That being said, I still think Indy needs to go CB in the 2nd unless somebody like Malik McDowell is there somehow. Our depth chart right now is Vontae Davis, Rashaan Melvin, and a lonesome gust of wind.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

DC Murderverse posted:

My list of draft performances ranked:

1. 49ers
2-31. all the other teams
32. Bears

Quoted for truth; lol Bears. SF might suck much less now, at least defensively.

What's with the boring-rear end KC team always drafting players I personally like? Do they even need a QB?

I'm excites about John Ross in Cincy, but of course the whiniest fanbase in the league says he's the Antichrist.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

ShakeZula posted:

It's such a strange feeling as a Colts fan to feel completely positive about a defensive draft pick. God bless that bizarre run on WRs.

Edit: That being said, I still think Indy needs to go CB in the 2nd unless somebody like Malik McDowell is there somehow. Our depth chart right now is Vontae Davis, Rashaan Melvin, and a lonesome gust of wind.

Doesn't help that Melvin and Davis come with long injury histories. Good news is that there are so many good corners left you can probably pick straight corner in the next 3 rounds just going off BPA. Of course, after tonight I'm completely done predicting anything about the draft ever again.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I'm real worried. How many good NFL QB's had the huge number of good weapons that Watson had in college? Right after the CFB game I was saying how much I would put that win on Mike Williams.

The Texans reddit was loving him even before the draft and I haven't watched a lick of tape but eh.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Is Trubisky at least supposed to be good? As soon as they pick him Gruden goes "welp he doesn't throw the deep ball accurately and good teams made him look like poo poo".

Yug
Aug 6, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Niwrad posted:

Is Trubisky at least supposed to be good? As soon as they pick him Gruden goes "welp he doesn't throw the deep ball accurately and good teams made him look like poo poo".

As long as nfl defenses aren't able to take advantage of his short range and he never plays an nfl defense with better talent than the good teams in college, he should be just fine.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

PrinceRandom posted:

I'm real worried. How many good NFL QB's had the huge number of good weapons that Watson had in college? Right after the CFB game I was saying how much I would put that win on Mike Williams.

The Texans reddit was loving him even before the draft and I haven't watched a lick of tape but eh.

luck had a good stable. jameis. any of the usc qbs probably.

weapons or whatever is a stupid thing to bitch about though. wonder why jaelen strong cant replicate his college success

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I can't get over the Titans #5 pick. The whole round would have been completely different if they take Lattimore or Hooker, which makes more sense to me based off assumed talent. Like, every single pick might have been different.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I can't get over the Titans #5 pick. The whole round would have been completely different if they take Lattimore or Hooker, which makes more sense to me based off assumed talent. Like, every single pick might have been different.

When you look at the initial offseason moves, it makes more sense. The first things to change were the wide receiving coaches getting canned, signalling that the coaching staff felt that receiving was the biggest concern/disappointment to them. Now, I don't know why when the putrid secondary performance is what was pushing Tennessee out of the playoffs even before Mariota's injury, but there's always been an overriding offensive concern since Robinson took over, from the emphasis on Exotic Smashmouth and the drafting of Henry in the second round over any other concerns. It's weird, but it's been strangely effective so far.

Now why Davis over Williams, er, I dunno.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
The pick is fine. Davis has a lot higher upside than Williams to my mind, though I hate all the drops. Honestly, I think WR1 is an undervalued commodity in the draft. If you think a guy can be that guy you go get him, period. What's getting to me is just the consequence of that pick for the rest of the draft. It started an early run on WRs, allowed the top end safety talent to fall, and forced a couple teams that likely would of had much different options into scenarios they probably didn't expect. Ever since the new CBA the draft has been impossible to predict but this one went totally off the rails at #5.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
At first, I was disappointed in the Eagles pick of Derek Barnett. Didn't know much about him. Was still disgruntled Corey Davis went at #5 and Mike Williams at #7. Then, we passed on Jonathan Allen.

Spent some time with this Derek Barnett pick and...yeah...

Eggles did good. Eagles did REAL good :thumbsup:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMPVh-3hRcI

Question is, tomorrow...if Cook or Mixon are on the board...do we go one of them or corner? I'm conflicted.

89 fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Apr 28, 2017

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

The Puppy Bowl posted:

yeah its a odd passing on Mike Williams for some guy who was good in the MAC. I'll just have to wait and see.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Browns picked 3 first round guys but no qb lol.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Bigass Moth posted:

Browns picked 3 first round guys but no qb lol.

They got three good-to-pro bowl starters on day one and enough draft capital to move into position next year to get a stud QB.

Trust. The. Process.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I will choose to be optimistic about the Texans pick because holy poo poo they pursued a QB in the first round (due to an idiotic mixup in talent acquisition the season prior looming over their heads) instead of just winging it like usual! Watson has such a low bar to clear, I really can't stress that enough: Brock was bad at drat near everything, Watson can only (eventually) be an improvement. Start Savage here, see how the season goes, and pretend that the 2018 won't happen. It was a reach, but so long as the pick works out I think everyone can just shrug it off.

The Cowboys, on the other hand, got Taco. They needed someone like Taco, they got Taco, Taco time is upon us.

Perry the Platypus
Aug 7, 2009
Is there a particular reason to be happy with TJ Watt? From what I've read he has a high motor (white) but is limited athletically? Would've preferred the top cb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Shinjobi posted:

The Cowboys, on the other hand, got Taco. They needed someone like Taco, they got Taco, Taco time is upon us.

• Locked thread