Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

This month we barrel headlong towards a snap general election on June 8th following local elections across Great Britain this Thursday, the EU provides a framework for a united Ireland, war rhetoric ramps up as we promise to follow Trump into Hell, Tim Farron finally lays out his position on mixed fabrics, and the foreign secretary accuses Jeremy Corbyn of being a 19th century conservative.

Also some bad news for Kate McCann?

In The News
• The Bank of England is implicated in Libor rigging by secret recordings.
• Two men wearing burqas as disguises carried out an armed robbery in Leicester, look out for exciting and totally not predictable responses from the usual outlets.
• A man has a bread knife near Parliament. This is big news. Police shoot a woman in her home in Willesden. Maybe she also had a bread knife in her kitchen. There are conflicting reports, but the woman may have been handcuffed prior to being shot.
• Britain goes a full day without using coal power to generate electricity for the first time since the Industrial Revolution. Unfortunately a chunk of the replacement is unsustainably forested biomass.
• Suspicious packages containing white powder have been sent to SNP offices, after there was nobody to sign for them at George Osborne's.
• Sadiq Khan cancels the stupid waste of money known as the garden bridge before Boris's friends can suck any more public funding through it. They still manage to get away with over £30m.
• Leo Baxendale, creator of The Bash Street Kids and anti-war newsletter The Strategic Commentary, dies. Unlike certain other cartoonists he eventually recognized that drawing blackface minstrel caricatures was in poor taste. Little Plum though...
• David Cameron has bought a £25k designer garden shed to touch livestock and write books in.
• North Korea has a missile capable of hitting Shetland.
• Paper fivers stop being legal tender this week. You can still use them to negotiate private debts on mutual agreement as long as the shop doesn't have a gold fringed flag.
• Nick Cohen badly misquotes Voltaire to make some kind of hot take about how the left are the real intolerant ones.

UKMT Book Bus
The Ragged-Trousered Philanthropists – Robert Tressell
Liberalism, a Counter History – Domenico Losurdo
The Method of Freedom – Malatesta
Declaration – Hardt and Negri
Libertarian Communism – Isaac Puente Amestoy
Violence – Slavoj Zizek
Imperialism, the Highest Stage of Capitalism – V I Lenin
Anarchism and Other Essays – Emma Goldman
Social Reform or Revolution – Rosa Luxemburg
Ecology of Freedom – Murray Bookchin
Let's Read Das Kapital – Karl Marx and Goons

Mayday Mayday Mayday

International Museum Day
UKMT April 2017
UKMT March 2017
UKMT February 2017
UKMT January 2017
UKMT December 2016

World Whisky Day
Scotpol Thread

Channel Islands Liberation Day
EDL/Fash Thread

Cinco de Mayo :france:
Europol Thread

Take a Girl Child to Work Day
Paedogeddon/Press Corruption Thread

Golden Spike Day
Trainchat Thread

Free Comic Book Day
Political Cartoons Thread

International Virtual Assistants Day
#ukgoons on synIRC (thanks crispix).

International Hug Your Cat Day

quote:

1. It's not a person's fault if they are poor;
2. It's not their fault if they are disabled;
3. Neo-liberalism doesn't work;
4. The Daily Mail lies (maybe even about Pig Dave and charity);
5. Neo-liberalism has never worked;
6. The British Empire was not a force for good;
7. Neo-liberalism will never work;
8. Trans people are not "men in dresses";
9. Gendered insults are not okay;
10. If something is "so gay" it had better be something that is really happy;
11. Trains are awesome;
12. The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles;
13. Ni dieu, ni maξtre, nae hope.

Also over half the country is either an open ethnic nationalist or has 'common sense' views about same:

MikeCrotch posted:

Depressing crosspost from C-Spam - who likes open ethnic nationalism?

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 13:05 on May 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I got a Clydesdale Bank fiver in the pub on Saturday and it was also poly.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Kurtofan posted:

where can i get a tim farron cardboard cutout
It's currently leading the Lib Dems.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Interesting pre-order pricepoint :crossarms:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Seaside Loafer posted:

I've never understood the reluctance for landlords to take housing benefit people.
Private landlords, some of them on the rich list, got £9 billion out of the government's national housing benefit budget in 2015, so clearly some of them do.

e:

Jose posted:

its ok the PLP have decided Yvette cooper will be their saviour after corbyn loses trhis election
She will solve the housing crisis with more prisons for everyone.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Spangly A posted:

Fergus Wilson not being dead/in prison is an affront to the rule of law
Gerald Grosvenor dead tho.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Schopenhauer said some bad things about Jews and black Americans in the early 19th century so I'm going to disregard everything he said about animal rights and kick a dog.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I don't think Simon Danczuk should be having sex.

Never forget the Morning Star's perfect use of the creative linebreak.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Regarde Aduck posted:

If you can look at capitalism and not think "yeah we need something to replace this" you either don't understand or you're a monster. Pick one. Money on you being a monster.
There is the brand of left-centrism that says "we can keep capitalism but also use another organ like the state to effect wealth transfer back from the capital class" which sometimes works during good times until something interrupts that system and people flip out and start supporting fascists instead.

I believe this is called Nordic social democracy.

There's also the soft leftism that never outright says gently caress capitalism but dances around it with words. This is called Clause IV.

I guess we can again test the theory of what happens when things become so bad that even the police are impoverished. :confuoot:

Do they join the People's Revolution or the SA this time around?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The problem with Thatcherism is that you eventually run out of state assets.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Spangly A posted:

my god I'd feel conflicted by a police strike

everyone over 60 would immediately vote the bnp on their platform of kill strikers and also criminals and mostly foreigners
They'd probably vote UKIP on their platform of fund the police more by loving up education and the NHS (and also kill criminals and mostly foreigners).

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Oberleutnant posted:

i really like big macs
The McDouble is a strong contender for the cheapest and most nutritious food in human history in cost per calorie and RDA of protein, fibre, fat, and calcium.

Of course, a chunk of that comes from working practices.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I know the tabloids like to get their letching in while they're young, but this seems a bit premature even by their standards.
The two year old or the eggs?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Cerv posted:

is it really a great policy? or just a popular one?
the link between increased police numbers and reduced crime is dubious. it does just seem like a repeat from 20 years ago of Blair's promises on extra officers then.
I'd prefer if police didn't have to use foodbanks, because police being poor and desperate has (in international studies at least) shown strong links with corruption.

I'd also prefer if nobody else had to use foodbanks, because people being poor and desperate has shown strong links with crime.

I think those two might do more to reduce crime than more officers.

After that I think the best things we could do to reduce crime in the long view are free high quality preschools, environmental lead reduction, promoting reliable family planning, and trying not to be a safe haven for financial crime.

I'm not sure that any of those policies would prove popular outside of the first one, because the populist view seems to be that crime exists because criminals, and only by locking/beating/stringing them up in sufficient numbers can it be reduced.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ewan posted:

Also decriminalise drug use, and treat it as a medical problem instead.
Yes, also this. John Marks' project in Liverpool had massive knock on social benefits even to non-users, and gently caress the DEA forever for leaning on Thatcher to shut it down.

That's another one which is never going to be popular with the tabloids, although it does seem to be picking up popularity in polls lately.

Paracaidas posted:

Dumbass Yank question: what are the politics of treatment vs incarceration in a nation with UHC? We struggle mightily with just-world bullshit and a desire to punish the junkies, and for the most part treatment doesn't cost anyone a dime. Is it sort of a doublebarreled opposition when the healthcare costs are socialized?
Most of the media opinion seems to be more 'drugs bad, ban more things' rather than criticism of the treatments themselves, eventually culminating in the PSA which bans everything but actually makes it harder to prosecute due to being so badly worded.

The whole "junkies gettin your cash" seems to have gone down in media mentions since the 90s, maybe because of rehab becoming more talked about for rich celebs idk. Now it's people with depression and anxiety getting financial assistance which is more of an issue for tabloid shitheads.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

mehall posted:

Pissflaps has expressed issues with people being more "urban" than he expected, and I think Blair might have a similar qualifier.

Something about how Blair has blown up a lot of people for he crime of living in a different part of the world.
Well Blair did literally say that violent crime is more about 'black culture' than poverty, so I think you might be right about that even without the different part of the world bit.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Cerv posted:

with an attitude like that, he hopefully won't get through to the end of the trial without a contempt of court charge.
Is that typical protocol? I would have thought that the Crown Court system, being all about centuries of customs and practice and Georgian wooly hats and The Right Honourable The Master of the Ham Rolls and all that would have been very careful to address the aristocracy 'correctly' evenespecially if they're in the dock.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Skinty McEdger posted:

The face of anarchy in the UK.
UKMT May 2017: I pushed over a shopping trolley :anarchists:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I'm the twerking class.
Where does that go in the Marxian model?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Lord Flaps, First Viscount Piss.
What would he answer to in court?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
£1500 a year sounds like a reasonable amount per year to end foodbank Britain and save the NHS and not be thrown in a detention center by terror police for wearing cufflinks while the regular police are reduced to begging outside the Co-Op.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Look who thinks they're too good to pay £250,000 to live in a single room concrete blockhouse.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Cerv posted:

alright moneybags, can you pay my £1.5k for me then?
I assume it'd scale, so someone on the median income would pay £1.5k, someone on the poverty line would receive money in net, and someone in the top 1% would be dragged through the streets by Corbyn's Friendship Police.

If not, it's not a very good leftist policy.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You do, but it's the verb, not the noun.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Especially on his way out of the dock.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Zephro posted:

The army doesn't use bombs. That's the air force's job. How can we rely on the Theresa May Party to give are boys the STRONG AND STABLE leadership they need if they're so ignorant of basic facts
They should have said troops instead to remove the ambiguity.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

jabby posted:

EDIT: Good to see McDonnell outright call Tory attacks 'absolute lies' today. Usually politicians are far too hesitant to use that word.
Well, he is 65. :v:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Praseodymi posted:

EDIT: Also, she brought up a local school that was run by an ex-barclays exec, and then refused to tell me which one.
I hope they're not laundering children. :ohdear:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

JFairfax posted:

Tories will repeat 'No Deal is Better than a Bad Dead' ad nauseum
A terrible deal is better than a bad deal! *shits pants, calls butler*

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Kurtofan posted:

art of the dead
Donald Trump's book about Syria?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pochoclo posted:

However, on the subject of $100 million being easy, please bring the guillotine. How can a mind get so broken as to be able to think that, much less say it out loud and expect not to get burned at the stake?
Sounds like someone isn't driven and passionate enough. :v:

I think a 'driven and passionate individual' could start from £10m and get to £100m within 20 years, but he can gently caress off with zero. There's a reason why the saying 'the first million is the hardest' and it's because most don't get there and those that have that can take advantage of all kinds of poo poo that those without can't.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ronya posted:

Be careful of that one. It inexorably leads you down the merry garden path of Workfare.
If Workfare was going to leave participants with enough stored wealth to start benefiting from capital methods of wealth enhancement then it would be a very different system.

If you have a spare million of liquid assets, you can get above the median income by purely capitalist methods, like shares with high dividends, buying a row of houses and renting them out, buying up city or airport parking spaces. Your investment may go up or down, but it's creating an income that takes care of living and allows you to be driven and passionate elsewhere.

Or write newspaper articles about how miserable you are, either way that's not something that workfare would provide people with.

Regarde Aduck posted:

Apart from all the other awful poo poo i'm horrified that 20 years isn't a long time to these people. Oh don't worry you can be rich! In 20 years! Your best years will be behind you, you know the ones when it's most fun to have a lot of money. But you can buy a yacht and do that think where you put coke on a bit of a prostitute and smoke her or something? IDK. 20 years is a long time. A lot of otherwise healthy people will be dead in 20 years. Are these people liches? It's yes isn't it. That's the secret.
If you already have that starting asset you're already doing better than most people over those 20 years just through income from capital. And if you don't then you aren't driven and passionate enough and something something handout culture.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobstar posted:

So the Tories are getting upset at EU citizens' non-EU spouses again

Of all the Tory shouting boxes, this one pisses me off the most. It's just spiteful. For UK and EU people. It serves no purpose other than to tick a box for the screaming tabloids.
Is this even a major thing that happens? And what is supposedly happening after? An EU person marries a not EU person and moves to the UK, then...

Pissflaps posted:

Post that tom hanks picture about it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Malcolm XML posted:

That study says nothing new; its long been known that you gotta keep up with the Joneses rather than being absolutely wealthy to be happy
Our Will drives us to believe that the next thing obtained, the next goal attained, will finally bring us true happiness, only for it to be hollow shortly after we get there. Human happiness, such that it is, requires not only the satiation of the critical desires like hunger and shelter, but also a degree of contentedness rather than the constant treadmill of goal seeking.

I wonder if that explains the uptick in constant switching between different types of new age woo among the upper-middle classes. The search for contentedness commodified as a goal seeking activity.

^^^ That too.

Bobstar posted:

Which reminds me, I seem to remember a brief panic when some newspaper "found out" about South American people sometimes being able to get EU passports via grandparents (Pochoclo confirm/deny I'm getting this right?), and the entire continent would be moving here any day.
Were they equally outraged about half of Boston moving here because some number of Irish people there would be entitled to a passport?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

HJB posted:

Council election chat: I've had one leaflet through, and it's from the Tory fella who's almost certainly going to retain his position anyway. Effort.
I have had no leaflets, but :same: about the Tory candidate.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 3, 2017

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They got all that press equipment set up for the poly notes but nooo, let's have a 12-sided bimetallic holographic coin instead. With a secret security feature.

The secret security feature is that the middle falls out and you can't spend it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"Everyone has funny names now, so you might think you're meeting with a normal person but then it turns out to be some kind of Chinese" says Philip on withdrawing from public engagements.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Will Phil be sent back to Corfu post-Brexit now he's an immigrant spouse who doesn't work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Igiari posted:

I don't appreciate tomfoolery.
Nor tomwatsonry.

• Locked thread