Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Somebody should tell Corgan that it would be easier and faster to just set a pile of money on fire.

DoctorGonzo posted:

I have faith that the man who got owned by Dixie Carter will succeed

Well, Corgan did get all his money back, which is more than I can say for anyone else involved.

grack fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

In the grand tradition of old wrestling territories Corgan is going to make himself the new NWA Champ and make all the indies book him for 10% of the gate.

He'll make like, $50 a show!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

coconono posted:

the series ends with Ian Rotten plugging away at Billy's rear end in an abandoned walmart.

Wait, did you read the same fanfic I did?

I mean, maybe someone should take Billy aside and gently explain the term "money mark" to him.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

EugeneJ posted:

If that's true wouldn't WWE technically own the broadcast rights to NWA-TNA footage from 2002-2007

Is the contract exclusive? I don't think that was mentioned in the clip rovert posted.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

is Billy Corgan the least successful money mark of all time or are we saving that honor for someone buried in Nevada

I'm pretty sure it's still Panda Energy, and will be for a long, long time.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

BrigadierSensible posted:

As I understand it, (and I may well understand it very very wrongly), Billy Corgan may well have bought the NWA, along with all the intelectual property and belts and stuff along with that.

It's just that the WWE can use all of that poo poo anytime it wants for free. So maybe Billy can stop John Smith from Bumblefuck from using the NWA name etc, or charge Dave Jones from Hicksville a fee to use the name etc. in their promotions, if the WWE wants to, they can just bury the living gently caress out of the NWA on TV in any way they choose, and Billy legaly can't do a thing to stop them.

Is that right?

WWE would be hard-pressed to prove they still have the right to use the NWA trademark, belts, names, etc. since they haven't used them in close to 20 years. If you don't use and/or defend a trademark on a regular basis you can lose any rights associated with it.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

EugeneJ posted:

They used the Big Gold Belt on TV for a majority of that time

Did WWE actually call it the NWA title?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

remusclaw posted:

Not that belt, but a lot of old NWA wrestling is on the network.

Again, nothing to do with the licensing agreement being discussed. Jim Crockett Promotions owned that tape library. It was sold to Turner Broadcasting/WCW when Crockett went bankrupt, and subsequently sold to WWE when the latter bought WCW assets in 2001.

Maxwell Lord posted:

This is why I call him the least successful, he's stalled at the "actually buy a promotion" step of being a money mark. Losing money is the expected endgame.

By all accounts Corgan actually got all his money (plus interest) back from TNA. Given TNA's history that's actually pretty impressive.

grack fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jun 4, 2017

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Billy Corgan should just skip all this bullshit and just set a giant pile of money on fire. It would accomplish pretty much the exact same thing as what he's doing now, and it would be a hell of a lot faster.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Cavauro posted:

sinclair is going to buy the NWA and give it more financial support than ring of honor. they'll also put it on the tennis channel

Have we yet determined if there is an NWA that can actually be bought?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

flashy_mcflash posted:

The only person I remember being somewhat close with him in TNA -and there might be others - is Mike Bennett. Maybe Crazzzy Steve too?

Dave Lagana, but he left after Corgan did.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Is that the same guy that was doing the creepy stalker gimmick a few years ago?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

MazelTovCocktail posted:

:lol: It’s even better than I could imagine.

So is money mark paying Indy feds to book to Storm?

Is that honestly the best picture they could find to put on a poster? Dude looks like he just wants to lay down and die.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

coconono posted:

I hope Tim Storm refuses to wrestle Ethan Page because he looks like a Burger King manager.

Burger King manager vs. fat school teacher

That's money

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Aesop Poprock posted:

Wait is that actually the official camera shot they went with

Uh, it seems to be? It's on the official NWA Youtube channel, for whatever that's worth.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

The Nazi Brothers and Konnan started it, Konnan hired Russo.

So there's two people that think Russo is good. That is at least 50 too many by my count.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

John Dudebro posted:

i wanted to do this and then i got carried away and basically made a botchamania ending so enjoy

https://streamable.com/au0ya

You are a wonderful, wonderful person.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Super No Vacancy posted:

wrestling is real

people are fake

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Aldis hosed up that Cloverleaf in hilarious fashion.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

coconono posted:

Those building hype clotheslines were Kelly Kelly-esque.

Hey hey, let's not say something we can't take back.

At least Kelly Kelly is attractive.

Also did Aldis just forget how to wrestle? I do remember him having some decent matches in TNA, even with some lovely, lovely workers.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

coconono posted:

Tim Storm dropping to Cody with a build towards All In, would have been a good moment but instead we get all this pointless gaga. Storm’s gone(presumably he’s summer only since teaching pays better than NWA dates), dropped the title in front of a completely hostile crowd at CZW to Nick loving Aldis who’s only notable career accomplishments to date were pulling a steady paycheck from Dixie Carter and Jeff Jarrett.

Let's be honest - this a pretty notable accomplishment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Tokamak posted:

Tim, with his roid gut and thousand-yard stare, will forever be the NWA champion in my heart.