Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Given that the show proofed that it can get huge ratings without a good plot or dialogue over the last few seasons, they basically just need some cheap writers, give them each a chapter of the History of Ice and Fire and tell them to make an GoT spinoff out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

benzine posted:

I remember there are some videos that Dorne wasn't planned a lot, so it was rushed.
Edit: Here it is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdE8VEQReP0

But for the critique they receive a dance and feast have so many story lines and so convoluted, that I imagine the nightmare to make a season of them.

Feast and Dance both have very linear story lines the only issue some people have with them is that some of those story lines are very ancillary to the main plot which does not move a lot. I'd even argue that those books are a hell of a lot easier to turn into a TV series than ASOS because most of the action is indoors and dialogue, not huge battle scenes. The Winterfell plot is just masterfully written and you could probably make a season just about that.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

hanales posted:

Are you talking about the winterfell plot with fake Arya?

fake Arya, Ramsay, Theon, Abel and his spearwives, fat lord Manderly, the Freys and a shitload of northern nobles.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

In It For The Tank posted:

I can't believe this guy gets hundreds of thousands of views for content that amounts to click bait about theories that are old as dirt. There are angelfire pages about the Knight of the Laughing Tree that outline the exact same information as in the video (well, except for the ridiculous warging stuff). I guess you gotta respect his entrepreneurship.

It's all about the presentation - his videos are a great visualization of those theories.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Lycus posted:

There are photos with Jaime with Widow's Wail and Arya with the dagger. Widow's Wail was never buried with Joffrey. That was a wake, not a burial. It's been sitting in the Red Keep armory. Arya will probably not have the dagger in 7x01, so you'll have to wait to see how she gets it. The last time we saw it was in Ned's office when Ned and Littlefinger were discussing bribing the goldcloaks. Littlefinger probably has it.

She is going to take it to kill him with it - blaming the attack in S1 on him.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

DrBouvenstein posted:

Some promotional images just released:
http://www.farfarawaysite.com/section/got/gallery7/gallery.htm

That's, uhh...an interesting outfit Sansa is wearing.

The necklace/chain is very similar to her Dark Sansa outfit, so not really that surprising.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Super Deuce posted:

Also, the "talky parts" are much better than 98% of people in this thread care to admit.

Not really - sure it's not The Walking Dead level of simplicity, but the 98% you are referring to hold the show to the higher standard that the first three seasons achieved, with a few exceptions (Quarth being the original sin of the TV show).

It's very obvious that they started to dumb the show down at some point because they realized that they could reach a greater audience if they did so.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

GobiasIndustries posted:

Also the source material wasn't complete and the guy writing it was doing everything he could to not write the books, which lead to the trainwreck of season 5.

Well, for seasons 5-6 they could have relied on ADWD & AFFC, which would have been enough content for 3-6 season, at which point GRRM might... well might have died and someone else got to finish the story.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

WampaLord posted:

Also, you get points for house words, and I'm sure Jon is going to say "Winter is coming" a few times.

But his house words are "Fire and Blood" not "Winter is Coming".

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Chris James 2 posted:

:laffo: this guy is doing anything But writing the one book he promised he'd write (this show's going to be good probably but still)

For all we know, HBO asked his agent "can GRRM be an exectuive producer on this show, he will get mad money and we will get to use his name in promos" and the agent said "sure".

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
The only worthwhile GoT YouTube Channel is Preston Jacobs... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCXU7XVK_2Wd6tAHYO8g9vAA?videos

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Lycus posted:

But only that video about the time he met GRRM who kept ignoring Preston's dumb bullshit to talk about food with other guests.

Preston should have hired a hooker, put her in a Jets jersey and have her ask his dumb questions :D

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

TOOT BOOT posted:

That might be something that doesn't happen in the books honestly.

If it does not happen in the books, it will be the best proof that the show turned to poo poo.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Peanut President posted:

Have you heard of the cult classic Game of Thrones?

I wonder how people will look back at it? Like will people in 10 years say "stop watching after season 4" - given that CGI will probably continue to improve and therefore the battle scenes, which are the saving grace of the later seasons for some, will not be that impressive anymore.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Peanut President posted:

Like all nerd things there will never be a concrete answer. Some people will say the whole series was great and gently caress you if you disagree, others will says that the show sucked after King Robert died.

I think there is a general consensus that Sons of Anarchy and Dexter had really bad final season - and I fear that Jon will have a Jax Teller ending.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
I'm going to enjoy Dany's magic army that can teleport around Westeros and does not need any logistics to sustain itself and will enjoy huge popular support because Dany, through the magic of fire, has made all of the Dothraki woke, so they no longer plunder, rape and enslave.

Not to mention the fact that landing in Dragonstone is the worst idea ever, given that she has the support of Dorne and the Reach.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
:NSW: :NSW:

:NSW: NSW:

cleary a great general, who can focus on his maps when it counts.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Pedro De Heredia posted:

Some things matter more than others.

Where Dany lands doesn't matter because most people who watch the show probably don't know almost anything about the map.

Things like the relative power of sides changing at a whim is more troublesome.

You mean the map that get's show for about a minute on every episode?

TK-42-1 posted:

I mean Dragonstone is loving fine. It's where Aegon started his poo poo. Plus it has a direct line to the capital. Coming in from the reach or dorne is a long march with probably a bunch of battles on the way.

That being said, show bad and as much as i'm looking forward to tonight i'm entirely expecting to be disappointed.

Aegon actually only started on Dragonstone because the Targs owned Dragonstone long before he was born. His actual conquest started near the place where today King's Landing is, where he landed with 1.6k soldiers, his two sisters and 3 dragons. If you factor in the fact that Dany's army has large contingents of troops that specialize on land warfare (Unsullied, Dothraki) and might even be unfit for amphibious warfare (Dothraki in particular) it makes no sense to land on Dragonstone, which offers no advantages except for ~it's my hoooommmmmeeee~

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

jfood posted:

Well... it's how you go about locking down the enterance to Blackwater Bay cuz it's right in the middle of it and makes an awesome place to moor your ships while blockading the capitol... but yea, other than that, no real goontactical reason for it.

That might be a valid strategy, if King's Landing were reliant on sea access and Dany's would not have to acquire provisions for all the Dothraki while blockading KL but moreover, there is a scene where she tells Tyrion "Let's beginn" at the end of the first episode on Dragonstone, clearly indicating that she did not pick Dragonstone to block KL, but because it makes for cool visuals.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
So, uh, that was an episode alright.

For the people that didn't notice it, Arya is now going North because the friendly Lannister boygroup talked a lot about family, which made her reevaluate her goals in life. This might get presented as a shocking twist when she shows up in the North, but it really shouldn't.

What made me wonder is why Cersei did not tell Euron "well you see, there is this Dragon Queen on her way, maybe destroy her armada on the sea if you are the greatest captain ever". Nope - he is going to catch himself some sand snakes, giving us a really satisfying conclusion to that story.

Oh and while Jaime for some reason is concerned with feeding their army while in King's Landing, Dany can just land on a bleak island worth nothing and her presumably starving army is fine with that.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
But don't you all love how woke the show is when they extended the draft in the North to females?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

kater posted:

I think she kills em too. Arya's entire character is about being way too loving self righteous. She took their food and it'll be a way of knocking her down a peg.

I don't think that is the way the show intends to portray her. She is basically the violent/physical to Sansa's diplomatic ability and now both of Ned's girls will team up to take down Littlefinger.

Her killing the Freys is clearly intended as her kicking rear end and not a morally ambiguous action, clearly indicated by the fact that she spared the women.

The only bad people in the show at this point are Cersei, Euron and the Night King.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Dany spends 2 episodes besieging dragonstone and another 5 learning how to rule it.

How about Dany landing in Dorne or the Reach, where her allies can support her army and she has a base of operations to start her conquest instead of that bleak island in throwing distance from King's Landing, where she runs the danger that Euron with his 1000 ships, manned by people who are known to be able seafarers, either completely annihilates her fleet or at least inflicts significant losses.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Perestroika posted:

I dunno, to me book Euron's portrayal always felt a tad forced. Perhaps it's because so much about him is described anecdotally by other characters, but often times it seemed like gurm was basically writing "trust me, this guy is like suuuper mysterious and dangerous!". It was not nearly as bad as ~*~*Darkstar*~*~ or anything of the sort, but it did feel sort of tryhard at times.

I'd argue that the guy who raped his brother, seduced (or raped?) his other brothers wife which got her killed, killed his third brother. Later he chains said raped brother next to the woman who is pregnant from him at the prow of his ship after cutting her tongue out, is prettyyyyy dangerous given that he is also the king of one of the seven kingdoms.

On the show on the other hand his worst crime is what? Killing his brother to become king? Everybody does that there and no one gives a poo poo. Oh and he burned Jamie in the throne room, but that's hardly something that makes you the most evil person ever.

If he wants to be "worse than Ramsay" he has to do some really crazy poo poo to the Sand Snakes, which I doubt the producers have the balls to pull off.

GaussianCopula fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jul 17, 2017

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I mean if your khaleesee gives you a command to find a cure for your morgellions, you could probably do worse than to look for it in the city where literally all the knowledge in the world is kept and maintained? :shrug:

Given that he also managed to get there before Dany reached Dragonstone, it's even more impressive, unless Vary's gave him his teleporting device.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Mike N Eich posted:

I didn't invent a scene where Stannis tells Sam and/or Jon about the fact that Dragonstone has a bunch of dragonglass on it did I? Something like that definitely happens in the books and I was 99% sure it happened in the series too.

Which makes the whole revelation kinda weird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uo7dwbteFE&t=49s

but they need it to be revelation so that Jon get's additional motivation to meet his waifu

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Ague Proof posted:

I can't wait for Dave Hill to become the show-runner for the spin-off.

I can't wait for it to end like the "Bastard Executioner"

Moreover, in the scene where Sam reads the books, he says that the Targs built their first stronghold on Dragonstone when they invaded Westeros, which is absolutely false and given that it's rather recent history, he should know better. The castle was built about two centuries before the Doom, with the conquest happening about 100 years after it, so the castle stood there for 300 years when Aegon started his conquest.

GaussianCopula fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 17, 2017

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Jon to Jorah once they meet:"I toke your father's love, your family's sword and now I'm going to take the woman you love"

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Kopijeger posted:

Funny, that. When Reanimated Jon left Castle Black, it seemed like Edd was left in charge, and still is. Shouldn't they have a new election for the post of Lord Commander? Shouldn't the old guy who commanded the Shadow Tower be the prime candidate considering he is more experienced that any of the guys left at Castle Black? Also, you'd think they'd try to get a new fully trained Maester to serve in the interim instead of waiting years for Sam to finish training. Are there even Maesters at the Shadow Tower or Eastwatch in the show?

That could have happened off screen, or, without Stannis forcing their hand, they might just be ok with Edd staying as interim commander, who has the backing of the nearest monarch.

What bothers me a lot more is that Jon can just command the Wildlings to take Eastwatch, even though it belongs to the Watch and is presumably still garrisoned by at least a token force. He should have coordinated that with someone. It's also questionable why he believes that a young boy and girl are best suited to be the second line of defense against the Walkers.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Episode 2 detailed spoilers on reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/freefolk/comments/6nkzns/stormborn_episode_702_details_and_breakdowns/

As expected, Euron wrecks the Sand Snakes and Yara, Tyrion wants to attack Casterly Rock (which is on the other end of Westeros and they don't seem to have sea control), Jon goes to Dany because of Sam's letter and Sam cures Jorah.

Yay.

Oh and Greyworm is going to proof that he doesn't need his Greyworm to pleasure a woman...

GaussianCopula fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jul 18, 2017

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
My only question is whether Euron goes full Ramsay and dual wields shirtless, which is the known weakness of Yara and all her allies. Maybe he even has the support of Ser Twent Ygoodmen.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

lezard_valeth posted:

It's never made clear, but it's also hinted that gold or killing some random shmuck as payment ala Dark Brotherhood won't work. They are...mysterious.

Like the origin story of them has the slaves of Valyria asking for freedom from the slavers who force them to work in the mines all their life...so the Faceless Man kills them all. The slaves, not the slavers. Can't remember if the show brought this up.

But then, there's this ship insurance guy, who promises he will pay money to your family if your ship sinks, but then scams them, and apparently one of the widows manages to hire them to kill him without backfiring into "lol here let my knife free you"

Or maybe they are just trolls :shrug:

They started as slave euthanasia organization, but when they (also slaves) became proficient enough at killing they killed the masters.

The cost of a hit is relative to the importance of the target - killing a ruler being a shitload more expensive than some random merchant.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
In the end Jon will have impregnated Dany and then sacrifice himself to save the humanity. Dany will rule Westors, Sansa Winterfell, Tyrion the Westerlands (and be hand again), Sam might get the Reach. In the books Sansa will marry the heir to the Vale and Rickon will get Winterfell.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

mllaneza posted:

Lyanna Mormont, the Queen in the North !

Given that Jorah is still alive and that Dany obviously has given him an amnesty for his slave trading, she is not even the Lady of Bear Isles.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Yeah he's not gonna get to rule looking like The THing locked away in the Citadel's VD clinic tho.

Sam will cure him next episode, no biggi.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Phi230 posted:

Who recognized the pardon

Nobody in power? Oh right more dumb fan stuff

The Dany/Jon/Tyrion faction almost certainly be in power at the end of the story, so his pardon will be official.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Jeb! Repetition posted:

If the maesters want to remove magic from the world, shouldn't Sam's archmaester be all for a genocide against the inherently magic ice people?

The "maesters hate magic" plot is probably book exclusive.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

WampaLord posted:

No, they thought it was basically worthless.

Again, Stannis doesn't say "We have a big mine of Dragonglass" he just says "We have Dragonglass." The distinction is key.

You know if there were only one guy in Jon's camp who served stannis before and lived on Dragonstone for a time, he could have told him about the dragonglass...

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Re Ed Sheeran cameo:

If you can live with Sarah Connor being the wife of the king, the mayor of Baltimore being, well, a fantasy middle ages version of the mayor of Baltimore and IRA terrorist Sean Miller (Patriot Games) being the honorable patriarch you should be able to not freak out about Ed Sheeran being a Lannister soldiers for one scene.

My guess is that the people freaking out are mostly nerds that think that his cameo is making THEIR fantasy show too mainstream - well newsflash nerds, the show went mainstream long, long ago and Ed Sheeran is the least of it's problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Lycus posted:

Surely it makes complete sense that the shitrock people became the preeminent naval power in the first place.

You are aware that they can import wood? The Iron Isles provide great natural harbors and their inhabitants don't have many other opportunities to provide for themselves, so it makes some sense. Additionally, at least in the books, it's made very clear that their navy is not as dominant as portrayed on the show and that they mainly benefit from the fact that Stannis (Royal Fleet) and the Lannisters/Reach (Arbor Fleet) are at war with each other.

• Locked thread