Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

It’s Emily Oster’s fetal alchol article but for incest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

big boi posted:

Why are you being so coy with the sauce

if you must know it's from reddit, though the guy did get shamed enough for people calling him out for advocating for eugenics that he deleted the post.

anyway, content:

quote:

Filipinos who remember their textbook history know that the Philippines was under: Spain (1565-1898) and the United States (1898-1946), with a short interlude under Japan (1942-1945). If the teacher had more time or motivation, reference could be made about Manila under the British from 1762 to 1764.

This chronology came to mind recently listening to friends ranting about the way the pandemic is being handled. Naturally, the need to pinpoint blame led to Malacañang and the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases, but administration defenders shifted blame to lack of discipline and, from there, the ball was passed back to our colonial history. It’s never our fault, it seems, as there is always an evil Spanish, American, and Japanese occupation at fault. To complicate matters, I asked: What would we have become if the British stayed on?

The Quincentennial commemoration winding up this week is an opportunity to look beyond the Santo Niño and Lapu-lapu to widen our historical reflections beyond the introduction of Christianity and the resistance to colonial rule. When students ask, was the Philippines colonized by the wrong countries? I direct them to the the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean).

With the notable exception of Thailand, majority of states that make up Asean were born from a colonial experience: Brunei Darrusalam, independent from the UK in 1984; Cambodia, independent from France in 1953; Indonesia, declared independence after the Japanese Occupation in 1945, but the Dutch formally recognized its independence in 1949 ending three centuries of colonial rule; Lao PDR, independent from France in 1953; Malaysia, independent from the UK in 1957; Myanmar, independent from the UK in 1948; the Philippines, independent from Spain in 1898, and from the US in 1946; Singapore, independent from the UK in 1963; and Vietnam, independent from France in 1945.

Often left out of classroom history are counterfactuals or what-ifs? The American Historical Collection once sponsored an essay writing contest on the question—“What would have happened to the Philippines if Dewey had sailed away in 1898?” After sinking the Spanish fleet in Manila Bay, Dewey set up a naval blockade not having land troops to take and occupy Spanish Manila. British, French, Japanese, and German vessels lay in wait at the bay. If Dewey sailed away, the Germans may have taken the Philippines.

Further back, what would have happened if Magellan didn’t accidentally sail into the islands now known as the Philippines? What if the Portuguese or the Dutch succeeded in taking the Philippines from Spain? The Japanese knew Spanish Manila was not well defended and considered taking it, the Chinese pirates Limahong and Koxinga knew this weakness too—what if one of them did?

When the world was divided in half like an orange by the Pope in 1493 to keep the peace between Portugal and Spain during the age of exploration, both parties kept moving the demarcation line such that Spain eventually kept the Philippines but gave away Brazil and the Moluccas. The islands Magellan sailed into in 1521 fell on the Portuguese side and, knowing this, Fray Andrés de Urdaneta refused to navigate for the 1565 expedition headed by Miguel López de Legazpi. Tricked into doing so, Urdaneta found the tornaviaje or return route from the Philippines back to America that became the backbone of the lucrative Manila-Acapulco Galleon Trade now considered by some as the first globalization.

Why did Spain stay in the Philippines knowing full well it did not produce the coveted spices to make the effort worthwhile? How did Spanish-Portuguese rivalry over the Philippines play out when the Kingdoms of Spain and Portugal were united under the Spanish Habsburg kings: Philip II, Philip III, and Philip IV from 1580 to 1640? It is unfortunate that my generation lucked out on knowing more about Spanish Philippines because it was said that those 333 years were not Philippine history but merely the history of Spain in the Philippines. Those years were allegedly irrelevant to us. The 500th anniversary of the Magellan expedition inspires us to look beyond past hurts and appreciate the blanks and nuances in our past. Resistance to colonial rule is not always about oppression and battles but how we have made the foreign our own, how we formed history, and how it formed us.

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

did a hapsburg write this

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/Ed_Husain/status/1381945404808388609?s=20

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
love it when people leftist themselves so hard they end up defending a major promoter of literal nazi propaganda

joepinetree posted:

The thing regarding Tucker is this:

Once you consider that the lives of people outside of the US have some value, all mainstream American media is some form of white supremacy because they are some form of imperialist propaganda.

When the NY Times is complaining that the people with swastikas who wanted to make sure that indigenous peoples had no right are being arrested in Bolivia, when MSNBC is cheerleading bombing of every Muslim country, when all of them take the "Israel is just defending itself" stuff seriously, they are all doing the same thing. The only difference between MSNBC and Tucker is who they want piloting the drones and looting the world.

Once that becomes clear, any debate about Tucker being particularly bad loses its meaning.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

love it when people leftist themselves so hard they end up defending a major promoter of literal nazi propaganda

yo're an idiot

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Flesh Forge posted:

i dont think that poster is defending MSNBC

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Flesh Forge posted:

shut the gently caress up

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Dude's got some other wild takes

https://twitter.com/Ed_Husain/status/1377621599315234821

I can't actually figure out what faction he's a flak for. Opposes Syrian sanctions, loves SA, hates Iran, pro Iran sanctions. Quiet on Yemen. The Syrian sanction thing kinda sticks out like a sore thumb.

Gravybong
Apr 24, 2007

Smokin' weed all day. All I do is smoke weed. Every day of my life it's all I do. I don't give a FUCK! Weed.

yeah it’s cool, I just have a rare genetic eye condition that rendered me legally blind.

don’t marry your cousin. you’re just making blind goons.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Just like many of you here, this recent news with ABS-CBN partnering with Chinese media is really making my blood boil. Every time there's news about China, we all post on social media to call them out but this really frustrates me because is posting all we can do? What can ordinary citizens do to fight back ? I'm not advocating violence or anything but really it's high time we sit down and think hard about this. Aside from posting in FB, reddit, etc., I'm pretty sure we can do so much more. Here's what I've thought of:

Dump ABS-CBN stocks (ticker $ABS) tomorrow. Let them get the message that we are mad. Make sure this doesn't get lost in the news cycle tomorrow. Stop watching their Youtube channels (less ad revenue).

Stop renting your condominiums to Chinese workers please for the love of our country. Stop investing in developers that rent office space to Chinese companies.

Refuse service to these people. Let them know they are not welcome here. If you own a restaurant, push these people out. If you drive a taxi, refuse service. If you work at the airport, do not extend help. If you own a laundry shop, refuse service. So so many simple things that we can do.

If you are in the service industry (cashier, teller, etc.), try your very best not to reply to Chinese people in english. Let them learn our language.

My point is to make them feel that they are not welcome here. I'm really frustrated that all we do is post on social media. I'm sure we can do so much more.

Please suggest other things that we can do.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

yeah sorry, tucker is especially bad and the rest of you can eat poo poo and die if you have a problem recognizing that

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Jose posted:

yo're an idiot

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Flesh Forge posted:

yeah sorry, tucker is especially bad and the rest of you can eat poo poo and die if you have a problem recognizing that

lol

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Flesh Forge posted:

thanks for correcting the brazilian poster on how the rest of the world sees the “polite” imperialism of MSNBC as little different in practice

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Flesh Forge posted:

lmao

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

THS posted:

thanks for correcting the brazilian poster on how the rest of the world sees the “polite” imperialism of MSNBC as little different in practice

yw

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

first as farce, then as tragedy

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Flesh Forge posted:

your reading comprehension is dogshit

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
drat. The house of Saud is clearly doing something right. Do you think it’s a coincidence that many Muslims pray towards the third largest city in Saudi Arabia? In a decade or two they might be praying towards Neom.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

https://twitter.com/DailyCaller/status/1381773332408852481?s=20

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/chaoticitgirl/status/1382403078477926400?s=21

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Her retweets are a rich vein of hot takes.

https://twitter.com/hateisbad1/status/1382472235307257861

https://twitter.com/amytheartist/status/1382002697843449857

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
horny is prohibited, lady.

edit: she deleted her account. :lmao:

uber_stoat has issued a correction as of 01:22 on Apr 15, 2021

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
for posterity

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

uber_stoat posted:

edit: she deleted her account. :lmao:

It’s a shame because it really was a Rolodex of hot takery.

Rand Paul
Aug 2, 2009

Jose posted:

yo're an idiot

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULPwkpCy_-8

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Flesh Forge posted:

love it when you lib yourself so had you end up defending the main boosters of imperial war and genocide as not that bad by comparison

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

very intelligent to conclude that because I think Tucker is bad, that means I must think MSNBC or whatever is good, yes extremely correct leftism conclusion making going on there

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

y'all got brains like fuckin babies

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
you literally flipped out because someone said that all of us media is bottom of the barrel garbage and that tucker is no exception and now you're trying to pull this poo poo lmao

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

say some more dumb poo poo about reading comprehension, somebody

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Liberals not sending their best smh

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Flesh Forge posted:

say some more dumb poo poo about reading comprehension, somebody

lol ok, so saying that tucker is as bad as the rest is defending tucker, whereas saying that the rest are better than him and if you disagree you're a horrible piece of poo poo is not defending the rest because???

i mean, it's not as if literally the only of these cases where someone is elevated from the bottom swill in any way here is the second one or anything

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

Flesh Forge posted:

y'all got brains like fuckin babies

no :ironicat: big enough

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Flesh Forge posted:

If you dig around in your ear with a q tip, does it come back out brown and smelling like poo poo?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Cerebral Bore posted:

lol ok, so saying that tucker is as bad as the rest is defending tucker, whereas saying that the rest are better than him and if you disagree you're a horrible piece of poo poo is not defending the rest because???

i mean, it's not as if literally the only of these cases where someone is elevated from the bottom swill in any way here is the second one or anything

I mean if you think literal no-poo poo nazism is just the same as garden variety liberal media, I don't even know what to loving say to you

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

IMO (read: opinion), the fact that nazi grifters like tucker invoke ideas of class consciousness to draw rhetorically vulnerable people to fascism while CNN/MSNBC et al push idpol nonsense is a concerted effort by The Whole of the Broadcast Media Conglomerate (so, FOX working alongside CNN/MSNBC/WaPo in a spoken or unspoken capacity) to make class consciousness a nazi red flag to the liberal viewerbase imo

like "oh, i can just write their opinions off because they talk about class consciousness just like that nazi tucker does"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

I can forgive most dipshit americanos for having America-centric worldviews but absolutely not anyone supposedly on the left. you should be smarter than this, flesh forge, especially after it has been explained to you several times. fuckin American dogs