Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

It came from facebook

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

FCKGW posted:

I feel like your username is the bizarro world version of mine

edit: you've been here longer. it's me, i'm the bizarro gwbbq
Mine is from an inside joke from college. One of our political science professors was an Army Reserve Colonel who was generally liberal and vocal about what he thought was wrong with Bush's foreign policy (this was during the first years of the Iraq War.) He would sometimes get himself worked up and go on rants. One of these concluded with something like "conflict in the Middle East has been happening for thousands of years for thousands of reasons, and now George W Barbecue thinks he can walk in, wave his hand, and make peace happen. It doesn't work that way."

Yours is the Windows key, right?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There are trans and intersex people who like the idea of being sexy and desirable, news at 11.
Do you really need an explanation of why "trap" and "dickgirl" are offensive?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

lol at someone who's literally named "Chadwick" making this argument

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

fool_of_sound posted:

Nah, as far as I can tell he's never defended anyone particularly reprehensible. He has libertarian leanings, but generally has good opinions on criminal and social justice.
The guy who does most of the tweeting hasn't, but Marc Randazza is buddies with Cernovich and is defending all the alt right nazis in court because he's a free speech absolutist.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

SpaceGoku posted:

wanna know what kind of chores a three year old has
Putting your toys back in the toybox when you're done playing and putting your dishes in the sink/dishwasher when you're done eating seem reasonable for a three year old, but I wouldn't really call them chores.
There was a big stupid argument over this in the Traffic Engineer thread in A/T. It lasted several pages.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

:popeye:
lol is this Iron Crowned?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

The hottest takes come from Wikipedia talk pages. Like this one, suggesting that Boots Reilly did 9/11
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:The_Coup#Prophetic_Album_Cover

quote:

The Album Cover of “Party Music” by the aptly named punk rock band “The Coup”. Party Music CD Design was printed in July and was scheduled for release “after Labor Day” during the week of 9/11/01 – immediately the album was pulled from store shelves on 9/12. (Notice the “Covert Labs” (i.e. CIA Issue) detonator, Soviet “Red Star” or “Red Shield” (Rothschild) logo and the “location” of the explosive charges. Notice also the smug smirk on the bomber’s face. JUST A HARMLESS COINCIDENCE??

Who made the design?

Others have noticed! http://www.boingboing.net/2001/09/15/weve_all_seen_the_bi.html The server-date of the picture is 15 Sept 2001: http://www.well.com/~doctorow/foreseeing_the_future.jpg

GWBBQ has issued a correction as of 02:03 on Sep 27, 2018

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Good.
While the headline makes it sound like they're going to hand him over to the police if he doesn't meet some sort of demands, the reality is that they told him they're going to cut off his Internet access unless he takes care of the embassy cat and cleans his own bathroom.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Western media reporting the deaths of Palestinian children is blood libel.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

If Gore had been capable of expressing emotion or even winking on cue, this could have been his Marc Anthony moment before stabbing Caesar.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Clinton isn't getting appointed to anything but that would be a train wreck I couldn't stop myself from watching. The right wing reaction would probably be entertaining, though.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

Yo this is legit disgusting
It's the Heritage Foundation.

indigi posted:

the junk food thing is at least partially legit, it’s not even disputed that attaching stigma to certain foods leads to worse decisions. not seeing how it’s anti black though
Black people are disproportionally forced into lower income areas regardless of income (I think the average black person or family with an income of $100,000 looking to buy a house are typically shown options that have a median income of $30,000) and poorer black people are forced into even lower income housing. Those areas tend to be food deserts where it's a burden for someone without a car to go shopping for groceries, which leads to increased consumption of fast food.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

FFT posted:

"if duterte actually does something wrong"

"if duterte actually does something wrong"

this is the same Duterte that's directly linked to death squads, right
Also the guy who got elected by people who decided that his public statement comparing himself to hitler was a good thing.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Flesh Forge posted:

yeah I took it that way too, although I think OP is completely right there are gonna be some people ending up with cancer or mutated buttholes or whatever.

we don't even know what the long term effects of the virus itself are going to be (analogues like chicken pox/shingles e.g.) let alone several completely different vaccines. aside from the virus itself being a completely new one in our species, we've never developed a vaccine for any other coronavirus before either. not that I know anything about medicine or vaccines but this is a whole lot of new dice rolling at the same time, it doesn't seem unreasonable that some will come up snake eyes :shrug:
Work on a vaccine has been ongoing since the early 2000s SARS outbreak so it's not as drastically different as it sounds. The biggest differences are that we usually don't hear what's in the pipeline until development is at the point it is now because it's typically not so urgent, the fact that the producers think the FDA will approve emergency certification, and the fact that this isn't like anything in recent memory so they're manufacturing and stockpiling it so it's ready to go as soon as it's approved.

Another big story that isn't getting as much attention is that while the US vaccine candidates need cryogenic storage, the Sputnik V vaccine out of Russia can be stored in a normal refrigerator so it's going to be a really important player as far as making it more widely distributable outside of North America. It's also already being given to medical and military personnel in Russia and is 82% effective in the field, so it clears the barrier for herd immunity.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/philgreaves01/status/1329417455068962816

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

General Dog posted:

Literally "if he didn't want attention he shouldn't' have dressed like that"
The people who are being honored on the most important day of their lives dressed for the occassion, but let's poo poo on the guy in the audience who dressed for the weather and ignore the fact that it was loving snowing.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Get a load of some of these abstracts.
https://hls.harvard.edu/faculty/directory/10697/Ramseyer/publications

Comfort Women and the Professors

quote:

We in the West have embraced an odd "narrative." The Japanese army of the 1930s and 1940s, we write, forcibly drafted 200,000 mostly Korean teenage girls into "rape camps" called "comfort stations." Should anyone question the story, we summarily consign the person to "denier" status. This makes for a strange phenomenon. Only a few of the comfort women claim to have been forcibly recruited, and several of them had told a different story before the reparations campaign against Japan began. A strongly leftist affiliate runs their nursing home, controls whom they can see, and vilifies any woman who might say anything else. In fact, no one has ever located any documentary evidence that the Japanese military forcibly recruited any Korean woman into a comfort station. And when Korean academics question the orthodox account, their own government sometimes prosecutes them for criminal defamation -- indeed, sent one heterodox professor last fall to six months in prison.

Social Capital and the Problem of Opportunistic Leadership: The Example of Koreans in Japan

quote:

Through webs of cross-cutting ties, groups can build "social capital" -- the ability to use the resulting access to information and collective punishment to enforce on each other their norms of appropriate behavior. Yet not all minorities maintain such networks. And groups without them sometimes find themselves manipulated by opportunistic entrepreneurs who capture private benefits for themselves while generating massive hostility and (statistical) discrimination against the group as a whole. As one adage puts it, sometimes the worst enemy of a minority group is its own leadership. Consider the Korean residents of Japan. Koreans had begun to migrate to Japan in the 1910s. They were poor, single, male, young, uneducated, and did not intend to stay long. As one might expect given those characteristics, they maintained only very low levels of social capital, and generated substantial (statistical) discrimination against themselves. After the Second World War, most Koreans returned to their homeland. Among those who stayed, however, a self-appointed core of fringe-left opportunists took control and manipulated the group toward their private political ends. Lacking the dense networks that would let them constrain the opportunists, the resident Koreans could not stop them. Those with the most talent, sophistication, and education simply left the group and migrated into Japanese society. The opportunistic leaders exploited the vulnerable Koreans who remained, captured private benefits for themselves, and generated enormous hostility and (statistical) discrimination against the rest.

On the Invention of Identity Politics: The Buraku Outcastes in Japan

quote:

Using fourteen government censuses and a wide variety of quantitative historical sources, I trace the origins of the Japanese putative outcastes. Sympathetic scholars have long described the group - called the burakumin - as the descendants of a 17th century leather-workers' guild. Members of the group suffer discrimination because their ancestors handled dead animals, they write, and ran afoul of a distinctively Japanese religious obsession with ritual purity. In fact, the burakumin are not descended from leather-workers. They are descended from poor farmers. Eighteenth-century Japanese would not have discriminated against them out of any concern for ritual purity. They would have discriminated against them because they were poor. The burakumin identity as we know it dates instead from the early 20th century. In 1922, self-described Bolsheviks from the buraku upper class lauched a "liberation" movement. To fit their group within Marxist historiography, they created for it a fictive identity as a leather-workers' guild. Within a few years, however, criminal entrepreneurs from the urban slums had hijacked the new movement. They embarked on full-scale identity politics, and generated the public hostility that has plagued the group ever since. The criminal leadership used discrimination claims to shake down local (and eventually the national) governments for ever-increasing transfer payments. Before the 1920s, prosperous member of the buraku had stayed and helped to build its social and economic infrastructure. After the 1920s, those burakumin who hoped to capitalize on the shakedown strategies continued to stay. Given the public hostility that the criminal leadership generated, however, those who preferred mainstream careers increasingly left and merged into the general public.

I'm starting to think this guy might just be a racist, classist piece of poo poo.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

V. Illych L. posted:

the real kicker with agencies like the CIA is that they're totally immune to outside scrutiny and do a ton of poo poo which is blatantly illegal and hidden from what internal scrutiny exists. this means that unless they actually die or gently caress up in especially spectacular ways they have no reason to ever learn anything other than how to cover poo poo up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlA9hmrC8DU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Homeless Friend posted:

*donald trump reading butter battle to children* :yooge: many sides... many sides folks
Not particularly believable.

gradenko_2000 posted:

fact check: true :colbert:
Didn't Jim Cramer of CNBC fame also say that?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

That's the hook, the next tweet starts "If they want to be." and elaborates that there's a huge gender imbalance in the restaurant business with only 20% of pro chefs being women, and therefore they're starting a scholarship program for women who want to study culinary arts.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Self-described Constitutional Conservative praises monarchy the founding fathers fought a revolution against.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Class reductionism at its finest.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Ironic, considering his last book was about reclaiming the term virtue signaling and using it as a neutral descriptor of human behavior rather than an insult.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

The Washington Examiner is practically cheating, but I had to share this volcanic take on the Atlanta shooter.
Sorry, media, Aaron Long isn't the white supremacist you were hoping for

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Flesh Forge posted:

this man, he has a buttplug shaped head :stonk:
is he from France?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

DACK FAYDEN posted:

whatever happened to Laura "big tits and an ashkenazi IQ" Loomer?
She lost the congressional race for FL district 21 and yesterday the Supreme Court refused to hear her case claiming that being banned from social media violated her right to free speech.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

It's like all the American Patriots tweeting the flag of Liberia

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

indigi posted:

if it's for "working families" how is it UBI

also who on Earth is proposing a consumer plastics ban lol
doesn't sound like a bad idea TBH
wish i saw this before i took a week off from work.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

Kinda embarrassing but the tweets gone and I'm not sure what the other thing is supposed to be
I'll give you a hint: it's what happens when a woman doesn't give consent and the man does it anyway.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

"Pedophilia is a medical term ..."
That's funny, you title isn't "Doctor." In a sensible world, neither would the title of whoever decided to inject that much Botox into one person.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

This is some Elezier Yudkowski level poo poo, but somehow lazier

quote:

Perhaps one reason we think extinction would be so bad is that we have failed to recognise just how awful extreme agony is. Nevertheless, we have enough evidence, and imaginative capacity, to say that it is not unreasonable to see the pain of an hour of torture as something that can never be counterbalanced by any amount of positive value. And if this view is correct, then it suggests that the best outcome would be the immediate extinction that follows from allowing an asteroid to hit our planet.

Of course, allowing an asteroid to hit the Earth would probably be bad for you and those close to you. But given what’s at stake, it may well be that you should pay these costs to prevent all the suffering. As the philosopher Bernard Williams once said: “[I]f for a moment we got anything like an adequate idea of [the suffering in the world] … and we really guided our actions by it, then surely we would annihilate the planet if we could.”

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Cold and serious take about 9/11 stuff

I can't even find secondhand references now, but back in 2001 when I didn't have any concrete political views and still had The Drudge Report in my regular news rotation, I distinctly remember a link to an API blurb on 9/10/01 stating that either on 9/9 or 9/10 depending on your time zone, the Taliban appointed Osama bin Laden as commander in Chief of Afghanistan's armed forces.

There wasn't any source cited since it was a wire service, but it's creeped me out for 20 years and even back then (related: props to my mom for buying me the book version of Charlie Wilson's War when it came out in 2003) and it made me wonder if if it was something that intelligence had a hand in. That might have been what put me on track to crack and ping, and while she was still alive I cracked her back starting with the basic AF Keith Olbermann reports on terror alerts covering up Bush Admin stuff and pinged her with Epstein being an intelligence asset (also she was awesome and cancer is a gently caress.)

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I don't like to make derogatory comments about someone's appearance, but that if someone is beaming terrible opinions back to earth from space, his ears are picking up the signal.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Please think of the pipelines.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

quote:

Traditional knowledge, like oral traditions, is rarely recorded in written form. Experts on oral traditions, such as Glynn Custred, estimate that in less than 1,000 years oral traditions are not likely to contain any factual information. Alexander von Gernet notes “neo-traditions” are invented to create a symbolic link between the past and the present, even when no link exists. Furthermore, oral traditions, and tribal traditional knowledge in general, are awash with tales of creation, mythical creatures and supernatural events. CalNAGPRA chooses religion over science.

But, when you actually look into it,

https://www.discovermagazine.com/planet-earth/ancient-stories-could-be-more-fact-than-fiction

quote:

The Tjapwurung, an Aboriginal people in what is now southern Australia, shared the story of this bird hunt from generation to generation across an unbelievably large slice of time — many more millennia than one might think possible. The birds (most likely the species with the scientific name Genyornis newtoni) memorialized in this tale are now long extinct. Yet the story of the Tjapwurung’s “tradition respecting the existence” of these birds conveys how people pursued the giant animals. At the time of this particular hunt, between 5,000 and 10,000 years ago, volcanoes in the area were erupting, wrote amateur ethnographer James Dawson in his 1881 book Australian Aborigines, and so scientists have been able to corroborate this oral history by dating volcanic rocks.

quote:

Like Aboriginal Australians, the Klamath people became literate within the last 200 years or so. Before that, their societies were oral. Information and stories were passed on verbally from one generation to the next. In such societies, two factors generally create the conditions necessary for millennia-long preservation of accurate oral histories: specialized story-keepers and relative cultural isolation.

What are the limits of such ancient memories? For what length of time can knowledge be transferred within oral societies before its essence becomes irretrievably lost? Under optimal conditions, as suggested by science-determined ages for events recalled in ancient stories, orally shared knowledge can demonstrably endure more than 7,000 years, quite possibly 10,000, but probably not much longer.

quote:

In a nutshell, the unique conditions of Australia led to some of the world’s oldest stories. Some recall the time when the ocean surface was significantly lower than it is today, the shoreline was much farther out to sea, and lands now underwater were freely traversed by Australians. These stories are known from perhaps 21 places around the Australian coast, and most are interpreted as memories of the time when sea level was rising after the last great ice age — a process that ended around 7,000 years ago in Australia. Based on the evidence, these oral histories must have been passed down for more than seven millennia.

quote:

Humanity has direct memories of events that occurred 10 millennia ago. This conclusion runs against what many anthropologists and others have inferred about both the factual basis and the longevity of such oral traditions. Science more broadly has generally been dismissive of these, largely considering them anthropological curiosities, minutiae that define particular cultures. Now many of us are forced to look at ancient stories as potentially more meaningful. The preservation of extant oral traditions, in whatever cultures they may still be found, is imperative — they help define us all.

https://www.sciencealert.com/ancient-legend-of-volcanic-eruption-37-000-years-ago-may-be-oldest-story-on-earth

quote:

An ancient oral tradition, passed down for countless generations, tells of how an ancestral creator-being transformed into the fiery volcano, Budj Bim. Almost 40,000 years later, new scientific evidence suggests this long-shared legend of the Dreaming could be much more than a myth.

New mineral-dating measurements conducted by Australian scientists highlight the possibility that the traditional telling of Budj Bim's origins may be an actual account of two historic volcanic eruptions that took place in the region about 37,000 years ago – which, if true, might make this the oldest story ever told on Earth.

"If aspects of oral traditions pertaining to Budj Bim or its surrounding lava landforms reflect volcanic activity, this could be interpreted as evidence for these being some of the oldest oral traditions in existence," the researchers, led by geologist Erin Matchan from the University of Melbourne, write in their study.

quote:

"We in the West have only scratched the surface of understanding the longevity of Australian Indigenous oral histories," archaeologist Ian McNiven from Monash University told Science.

The findings are reported in Geology.

and a reference to it in this Science article https://www.science.org/news/2020/02/aboriginal-tale-ancient-volcano-oldest-story-ever-told

Megillah Gorilla posted:

More like anthrapologists, am I rite?

Apologists for desecrating human remains and cultural artefacts with no regard to the extant peoples of those cultures.

EDIT: But seriously, I'm in STEM and all pro-science and all, but just take some drat photos and return them back to the people you stole them from.

Science doesn't give you carte blanche to be a turd. Maybe try being respectful and asking next time.
You can literally just take a CT scan of bones or MRI of soft tissue and 3D print an exact copy. There's absolutely no excuse.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This person is a literal phrenologist btw
Wait, what?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Jesus loving Christ.

I guess the scan/print stuff I mentioned in my previous post isn't good enough for the White Savior Bone Shaman.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Flesh Forge posted:

it's a joke
Who among the vast crowd of CSPAM posters can honestly say, individually or collectively, that we are not the joke?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Atrocious Joe posted:

https://twitter.com/SomeHeckle/status/1436089564930654210?s=20

Never though I'd see someone advocate for the genocide of Armenians in order to fight fascism.
And war with China, and ensuring a Democrat victory by invading Cuba.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Oh, awesome, genocide denialism in the hot takes thread.