Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Birdstrike posted:

This fed into some thoughts I had watching the second half of Myst play out, particularly to do with the enjoyment of players being taken out before the super interesting endgame parts.

Obviously taking out other players was part of the setup, but my angle was that there was something perverse about how cutting short other players' experience could be motivated by something so inconsequential as a "victory point," or moving a number from a 5 to 6.

:shittypop:

haha yeah wow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
ps chaoslord I was watching some Barbeaubot last night

"VICTORY WELFARE! CORNELIUS DREBBEL!"

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

:argh:

Birdstrike posted:

ps chaoslord I was watching some Barbeaubot last night

"VICTORY WELFARE! CORNELIUS DREBBEL!"

You wanna know what comes from nature? Onions. God put em here for us to eat and he chocked em full of folic acid and magesium, and that's real good for your colon. But I like em cause they taste good. Like America used to.

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
Somebody had to die n1 CL

Maybe if my hockey player had been doing better it would have been someone else

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The PR was voluntary btw.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

I was really really surprised I lived so long. I was confirmed town after d1.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Mr. F! posted:

I was really really surprised I lived so long. I was confirmed town after d1.

seriously, that and the fact that you pulled that gambit off so flawlessly had me paranoid as all getout.

Podima posted:

The PR was voluntary btw.

oh lol I wasn't even counting

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

what happened

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

we found out you're dead in JRPG years

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Bifauxnen posted:

we found out you're dead in JRPG years

sounds fake but alright

Max
Nov 30, 2002

It was really hard asking for a replacement when I had been handed another unkillable role. I had some pretty great plans for it but then the great pain took me.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Hello I'd like to thank the academy for my complete lack on interest in this game (Sorry I should have subbed out early)

Good game, glad we won.

Pera try not to post so much in the thread talking to players as a mod, as it can go a long way to confirming their alignment.

peramene posted:

Infinitum posted:

Unlucky 13 :frogc00l:

Just :lol: if you think I'm not going to actually do this for real tho and then claim meta shenanigans

Infinitum posted:

Hello I am scum

I think this post in particular was particularly egregious, and I could have leant heavily back against it had push come to shove; and aided in spotting scum.

That said I don't have a leg to stand on due to non-participation. Heart wasn't in it sorry! I'll do better next time!

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Podima posted:

peramene, when a tracker tracks someone who goes nowhere, they get told that rather than that their action failed. I assume that's why Inf's action "failed" on N2 while Lumpen and I were roleblocking each other?

Correct & Understood!

I laughed that Lumpen both traded RBs with you AND RB'd himself just to try it.

I will keep that in mind in future.

Infinitum posted:

Good game, glad we won.

pera try not to post so much in the thread talking to players as a mod, as it can go a long way to confirming their alignment.

I will keep these in mind in future! I just love the loving interaction / sound of my own text too ​drat much and gotta learn to be the silent hand of divinity gently caressing my puppets

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah the mutual roleblocking was hilarious

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Gulag was also a cop?

Was I insane?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
He got a cop power (one shot?) from consuming your corpse via honor vote. You were sane. Bird strike was scum, Gulag was a miller, and you shouldn't have copped the miller to "verify." :p

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Copping a miller fine, the bad part was not getting birdstrike

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Podima posted:

He got a cop power (one shot?) from consuming your corpse via honor vote. You were sane. Bird strike was scum, Gulag was a miller, and you shouldn't have copped the miller to "verify." :p

Again, I'm not seeing the problem with my logic here. A "scum" result on a claimed miller means I am either reading every single person as scum (paranoid) or reading things as true. It rules out my getting reverse role information, and had I received a TOWN result I would have known I was getting reverse information on people which would have cleared Birdstrike as town.

What is the big problem with this play? It provides information to town, and presumably a miller isn't coming in D1 and lying about being a miller.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Quidthulhu posted:

Again, I'm not seeing the problem with my logic here. A "scum" result on a claimed miller means I am either reading every single person as scum (paranoid) or reading things as true. It rules out my getting reverse role information, and had I received a TOWN result I would have known I was getting reverse information on people which would have cleared Birdstrike as town.

What is the big problem with this play? It provides information to town, and presumably a miller isn't coming in D1 and lying about being a miller.

I get where you're coming from, but I feel like there would have been more value for town if you had copped literally anyone but the claimed miller so we could get more information as flips happened. Like, if you'd gotten a town read on someone else, then boom Birdstrike gets owned. Yes, we got very information-scarce flips this game, but still. I think it's a mafia philosophy thing that we can agree to disagree on.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Podima posted:

I get where you're coming from, but I feel like there would have been more value for town if you had copped literally anyone but the claimed miller so we could get more information as flips happened. Like, if you'd gotten a town read on someone else, then boom Birdstrike gets owned. Yes, we got very information-scarce flips this game, but still. I think it's a mafia philosophy thing that we can agree to disagree on.

I agree to disagree... with Quid cause Pod is right! :v:

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Podima posted:

I guess so. To me, if I had gotten a town read on someone else, we're wasting a day confirming if I am getting reverse results. I get a town read on someone, we flip Birdstrike, he flips town, so then sure, I've gotten someone else, but we've wasted a dunk.

:shrug:

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I love how much extra chaos got added with one sentence. I'm so glad I didn't cut it.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I think the hangup is you're looking at it from the perspective of "wasting time", meaning "how fast can I find out I'm sane", but you're never guaranteed to live long enough to even find out before you're NKed, especially if you claim openly and the scum whon know their alignments can work it out much faster than you!

Investigating a miller is a wasted investigation for determining who's town and who's scum, but you're only assigning new value to it now because you're trying to determine your own status. But if you end up dead the next day (which you did, as is highly likely), your time trying to figure out your sanity faster has been wasted because now you can't perform new investigations with that knowledge.

It's all about leaving as much actual data as you can behind you. Then town can use that info even after your death, as more flips verify your results.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
In short, it's not about you, it's about the town as a whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I think we've all learned something here today.

• Locked thread