Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stato-Masochist
Aug 22, 2010

the air is fresh, there's plenty of parking, plenty of space to walk around

Mairzy doats and dozy doats and liddle lamzy divey
A kiddley divey too, wouldn't you?
Yes! Mairzy doats and dozy doats and liddle lamzy divey
A kiddley divey too, wouldn't you?
If the words sound queer
and funny to your ear,
a little bit jumbled and jivey
Sing "Mares eat oats
and does eat oats
and little lambs eat ivy

I'm back! Back and ready!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stato-Masochist
Aug 22, 2010

Raxivace posted:

The correct order to view Twin Peaks in is actually Blue Velvet > Fire Walk With Me > The International Version of the Pilot > Any given Let's Play of Silent Hill 2 > Deadly Premonition (Xbox 360 version) > Eraserhead > Inland Empire

This will provide the best viewing experience IMO.

Wow, this is such a dumb troll. Lost Highway is obviously the penultimate viewing, and then you watch Island Empire. Are you trying to get people confused or....what?

Stato-Masochist
Aug 22, 2010

Raxivace posted:

I dunno, the movie is just a bunch of sex scenes and who wants to watch that?

I'm Robert Loggia, and you're the tailgater

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5I7lXV9b88

Stato-Masochist
Aug 22, 2010

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Is there a consensus we can come to as to when FWWM takes place? Is it a prequel to the original series or does it take place during an alternate timeline?

My understanding is that events in the lodge exist outside of linear time. So, what's happening there can be referenced at anytime in the 'real world' narrative, because it's a different realm with different rules.

Stato-Masochist
Aug 22, 2010

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

There's also Philip Jeffries disappearing in and out of time after investigating "Judy".

Well now, I'm not gonna talk about Judy. In fact, we're not gonna talk about Judy at all, we're gonna keep her out of it.

Stato-Masochist
Aug 22, 2010

Heavy Metal posted:

Very true, and I love that Balthazar Getty is on the new Twin Peaks cast list too. Plus Naomi Watts and whatnot of course, it's gonna be a David Lynch party.

This really excites me because pretty much every actor (excepting Michael J Anderson, presently) who's ever bothered to comment has said that working for Lynch is an inspiring dream, so at the very least we're going to get some dedicated performances, presumably no matter how small the role

Stato-Masochist
Aug 22, 2010

Under the vegetable posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWzNOg7XRi4

although the people wondering if the real world isn't really the real world, Phil Jeffries does say "It was a dream... We live inside a dream."

Tangentially related to this - because of the video - but does anybody else think the black figure that fades away in the prision cell looks like the lumberjack looking guy above the convenience store just covered in shoe polish? At any rate, apparently that figure, whatever it is exactly, is going to show up more as the story unfolds, as per Lynch.

Stato-Masochist
Aug 22, 2010

https://twitter.com/civil__centrist/status/880952204323979266

Stato-Masochist
Aug 22, 2010

crowoutofcontext posted:

TWIN PEAKS...

WAS ALWAYS...

COOl POLITICAL

Lol you make a good point, but I think the omniscient view of the camera capturing the atomic bomb opening the door to pure, cosmic evil can be read as a more explicit political view of the show than just observing the characters airing their personal picadillios about society. But I don't really think "America is evil" is necassarily the point of all that anyway, I just thought the tweet was funny

Stato-Masochist
Aug 22, 2010

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

*lives in america*

*somehow thinks anything they do or consume can be non-political*

No, I'm pretty in tune with the fact that everything carries a political significance, and that American cultural output has a reverberating effect given our hegemonic status. I just don't think the show's ever, as a matter of authorial intent, tried to make any explicit commentary about - and maybe this is where I went wrong - issues along partisan lines in any didactic way.

For sure all of the issues raised by the show have political weight, but it's never tried to offer any ideologically motivated answers to them that would compel you to, say, vote one way or another, or subscribe to a particular stance. It engages with issues, but it doesn't really tell you how to view them. That's just from the lens of authorial intent, there's plenty of politcal material there to comment on how it's portrayed, but I never got a sense that Lynch necessarily wanted me to feel any particular way about Tibet.

I mean, he probably does, but purely from watching the show, it just seems like a personal quirk of Cooper's.

Stato-Masochist fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jul 2, 2017

Stato-Masochist
Aug 22, 2010

Alright, yeah. I think I take the disgustingness underneath aspect so much for granted that I'm being too narrow with how I interpret the show as political. I'll concede I'm off base.

And I completely forgot about FIX YOUR HEARTS OR DIE, so basically I'm a huge idiot

Stato-Masochist fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jul 2, 2017

Stato-Masochist
Aug 22, 2010

Well, yeah, I just don't have the patience to argue it further in the face of the valid objections I've already had. It's as multi-layered as the show itself, and I'm just not motivated enough to press it. But I do think I was wrong, at least in so far as I didn't define what lines demarcated ideologically motivated television. Like, my mindset was interpreting Blue Bloods, and that show's politics are immensely more transparent and surface level.

Stato-Masochist
Aug 22, 2010

Full disclosure, David Lynch once did personally tell me that Hitler did nothing wrong and that the Holomodor never happened over drinks at Bohemian Grove

Stato-Masochist
Aug 22, 2010

Zmej posted:

I just want to add season 3 has casually dropped in other things like veterans' issues. It's definitely ventured into political territory. There's some commentary on the male gaze (maybe?) but then Lynch will have other scenes that backtrack any potential commentary, so I dunno really. The veteran stuff might just be related to his work with providing vets with transcendental meditation and he feels passionate about it, so he threw it in. It's like the unrelated music videos in the middle of the episode. It's just because he likes filming it.

I've had an epiphany mid-post. Season 3 is really just Lynch living out his dream of hosting the Late show. Political monologues, inviting all his friends for appearances, musical guests and some skits.

This is kind of what I was getting at. Sure, the show beats you over the head now and then, but in other instances it doesn't really tell you how to feel on a political level. It just presents you with the current reality. Like, it shows a psychotically strung-out mother, but it doesn't make you infer any policy initiatives from that picture. Anything you might assume is pure projection. It invokes an issue that is surely intwined with politics, but there's no suggested remedy in the depiction.

Stato-Masochist
Aug 22, 2010

I was talkng about the "1-1-9!" lady, but your point's well taken. I think you're referring to Truman's wife? And yes, gently caress Chad.

Stato-Masochist
Aug 22, 2010

Audrey's introductory scene confirms in my mind that Richard is actually Johnny's son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stato-Masochist
Aug 22, 2010

oneforthevine posted:

Wasn't the whole reason the FBI was called in to investigate because Teresa Banks's body had crossed state lines? Or am I misremembering?

I think it was because Ronnette Pulaski walked into Oregon in her traumatized march, and they connected her to Laura's murder.

Edit: ^^^beaten^^^ but, yeah, I think Teresa Banks floated across state lines, too, which is why her murder also became a federal investigation

E2: or it was just a Blue Rose thing, I can't remember, but I thought Banks' body floated across state lines.

Stato-Masochist fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Aug 23, 2017