Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
Cool thing we noticed when watching was that blue rose in a vase in the blind lady's room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

spudsbuckley posted:

The new 4 episodes are completely in the tone of FWWM

Ehhhhh, I would disagree with this. The tone of FWWM is mostly just sad. Watching Laura go through her last days of life and seeing how lost she was is heartbreaking. There's some surreal poo poo in there, sure (just like in TP proper, for the record), but that's not a bad thing; it adds more to the mythos of the Black Lodge and elaborates on what's actually going on. The fact that Lynch doesn't spoon-feed the answers in a digestible way isn't a failure of the film, because it provides plenty of hints and and outright connections for the audience to make. The series has always reveled in symbolism, and FWWM is no exception. The revival (so far) is much the same in this regard, though the tone is more of a neutral zone between the goofier parts of the original and the emotional heights of FWWM.

quote:

insofar as that they are arthouse dogshit for pretentious assholes to wank themselves senseless over

I may come off a bit rude here, but maybe you should just try harder to understand what's going on? There's plenty to chew on and figure out how it all fits together. It's not crazy for the sake of crazy - there's an internal logic to it that matches the original series and FWWM.

quote:

whilst Lynch laughs himself to the bank over being able to sell a bunch of nostalgic garbage to morons solely by attaching his name to it.

Wait, so he's capitalizing off nostalgia by making something that has minimal nostalgia in it? If he wanted to make bank off nostalgia, for one, he wouldn't be doing hour-long episodes or a limited 18-episode run. There would be no announced end point, there would be minimal new characters, and he could have absurd references and jokes like Cooper having a really big coffee mug or Shelly and Bobby being married and having a pet named "Leo" or any number of stupid poo poo you would see in a heartless cash-in of a beloved series.

quote:

This man is one of the greatest carnies of all time

He's just a nice midwestern dude who likes making beautiful, surreal art. Adam Sandler, he ain't.

quote:

and everyone unironically enjoying this complete shite is an utter loving rube.

Call me Rube Goldberg, then, because I can't wait for June 4th.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

LostRook posted:

The credits list Walter Olkewicz as playing Jean-Micheal Renault.

Lynch loves his doppelgangers!

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Franchescanado posted:

I mean, with every scene in Twin Peaks so far there's been an underlying sadness, even if it's just Hawk answering Maragret's phone call like he probably has evey single night since Coop went missing 25ish years ago.

I'm not saying there are no sad scenes, just that it doesn't feel sad through so much of it like FWWM does. There are a few scenes, like this one, as well as Bobby noticing Laura's picture and falling apart all over again, but largely the first four eps of this series haven't been feeling that way. To me, anyway. Perhaps they'll take on that feeling as the show goes on.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Modrasone posted:

Psycho Dale Cooper is a really weird concept for me to get my head around but that's fine as we couldn't just be chasing after BOB in TYOOL 2017 because he genuinely died from AIDS complications. I liked the bit with the spade spraying and holy poo poo I hope that box in New York gets its own spinoff series like Better Call Saul.

It totally is BOB inside of Coop, for the record. He even grew out his hair to match the look! It's just that his original actor being dead means they can't really show the trippy imagery of switching between Coop's body and BOB's visage like they did with characters before. Think of it like Leland throughout pretty much all of TP and FWWM, but actively doing awful things all the time rather than trying to hide the awful things.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Franchescanado posted:

I meant scenes literally set in Twin Peaks.

Ohhhhh, okay. You can probably see where my confusion comes from! Still not sure I quite agree with that, but hey.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Nothus Infelix posted:

I'm not 100% sure Bob is in Bad Cooper. When Bob plays, he is hyperactive and cartoonish. Everything Cooper does is cold and measured. Bob likes knives and bludgeons. Cooper shoots people. Bob hides in respectable folk. Cooper is not respectable folk. Bob kills and abuses for fun. Cooper is enacting some sort of plan or program. Even if Bob is in there, I think Cooper's doppelganger has been driving.

I don't think there's enough info about BOB from the series to justify laying out rules for how he acts. He's only been shown to inhabit one person before, and that was Leland. He tried to transfer to young women multiple times, and failed with each, resorting to killing them.

Whatever Bad Coop is, he likely created a decoy, Dougie, as part of a plan to avoid being pulled back into the Black Lodge when the time was supposed to come: 25 years after his escape, at what ended up being 2:53 pm. To me, that speaks of someone who is intimately familiar with the rules of the Black Lodge and how to manipulate things within it. Dale has no idea how to do any of that.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Cromulent posted:

In the 2nd episode from last night, they seemed to make it a point to show the clip of the S2 finale of Cooper's evil-eyed doppleganger laughing with Bob, and then Bad Cooper chasing Good Cooper through the rooms. I wouldn't go as far as to say they're retconning it or anything, but it looks like they're not going for "Frank Silva Bob" being Bad Cooper.

I feel like this image is relevant. If not for this I would be on the doppelganger Bad Coop train, all the way.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

sticklefifer posted:

I had other problems with FWWM - I felt that we already knew enough about Laura's death, and going back and seeing it happen does a disservice to the horror of Leland's confession scene in season 2. The story felt unnecessary and didn't really augment my experience of the series in any way. I also found the recasting of major roles distracting and it took me out of the film more often than not, though I suppose that isn't Lynch's fault.

I thought it was actually a pretty fascinating look into what Laura was actually like rather than hearing about it from other characters. Witnessing her life from her perspective was a completely different world, and one that had plenty to add to the story. It doesn't hurt that Sheryl Lee is loving fantastic in the role.

As far as recasting goes, wasn't it just Donna? I mean, it's a little awkward for continuity's sake, but it didn't bother me too much. It helps that she was good in the role.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

n4 posted:

I felt like Bobby bursting out crying was self-parody and I loving loved it.

That's an interesting take on it. I felt that it was all pretty straight-forward. It was really touching at first to see him working as a cop, which gives a whole lot more poignancy to the scene he has with his father in the original show, talking about his vision of what's probably the White Lodge. It made me tear up the first time I saw it, and that feeling is even more pronounced now that it appears that he fulfilled his father's vision. HE'S A GOOD BOY, DAMMIT. :cry:

And then he sees Laura's photo and just breaks down crying like he can't help it, because he really did love her even though she was so lost she couldn't really love anyone properly in return, let alone Bobby.

I really hope he doesn't turn out to still be Bad Bobby, because that would ruin all of it :(

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Has anyone made note of all the numbers that keep popping up in S3? They're pretty prominent and all over the place. The giant gives some, the arm gives some, there are numbers that change on the electrical socket machine, the junkie lady blurts some out. There's a bunch more too, even back in FWWM.

Not sure if there's more to it, but when Jade reaches into Coop's pocket and finds his Great Northern room key, it says "315." The vault numbers were 15 and 3.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Under the vegetable posted:

Rewatching s2e7 right now and the sound ???????/giant tells cooper to listen to on the record in ep 1/the sound that closes the episode is the looping record in the palmer's house when Leland kills Maddie. Just now got that. Duh. The scene also immediately transitions to Julee Cruise at the Bang Bang Bar. lol.

Someone compared a sound from the phonograph to the sound of a slot machine crank, and the sound profile matched perfectly.

E:

James really was cool, guys.

TheMaestroso fucked around with this message at 03:25 on May 26, 2017

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

So I found a thing posted elsewhere that posits a purpose to the Jones' family's weird names.

Janey-E
Sonny Jim
Dougie

All the letters in those names:

a d eee g ii jj m nnn oo s u yy

Rearranged they can become:

My Annie Judy Josie - gone

My first thought when seeing this was, "Wow, that's super cool! Who the hell is Judy?" I've been reminded that she isn't a character on screen in any of the Twin Peaks things, but was mentioned by Jeffries in FWWM: "Well now, I'm not gonna talk about Judy. In fact, we're not gonna talk about Judy at all. We're gonna keep her out of it." Also, at one point the image of a monkey says the name "Judy" in close proximity to imagery of Laura Palmer's dead body.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Here's the Jeffries scene in question (from the Missing Pieces version):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHl_8WK8w3Y

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

And More posted:

It's actually My ojisan Ed - Genuine joy. David Lynch still thinks Big Ed is the coolest uncle out there.

New best interpretation.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Cicadalek posted:

I enjoy that this show has me going back over it to capture images of vomit. Some pics from both scenes: :nws:http://imgur.com/a/Hqzyq (marking it nws just in case you have an extension that opens pics automatically)

Might be wishful thinking, but Dougie's little leaving does look like pastry and red stuff. Bad Cooper is definitely leaking garmonbozia, plus a lot of foul looking black poo poo.

The whole Lodge switcheroo business seems to literally be draining for everyone involved, which is why i wonder if Cooper just needs some of that drat Fine Cherry Pie to get back in business. Maybe Dougie was powered by the cherry pie somehow, like how you need a hair or something from someone to make a voodoo doll. gently caress if I know.

Totally agreeing with these observations. In Dougie's you can see bits of that garmonbozia (the yellow bits and the blackish streaks - maybe the blackish stuff is coffee? lol), but the fact it's solid and has a brownish center and a lot of reddish stuff on it does suggest a couple things: 1) it's not solid garmonbozia like what BOBCoop vomits up, 2) it could be interpreted as reminiscent of his favorite RR cherry pie, and 3) the fact that Jade has no reaction other than "gross, vomit - are you sick?" tells us that it's not hospital-inducing grossness like BOBCoop's. Who knows what the actual functional relevance could be, but hey that's what speculation is for.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

wa27 posted:

What are the odds of the real Sherrif Truman showing up?

Well, everything for the past two years has talked about him declining to return, because he's retired. If he did return it would be completely unexpected. So...who knows?

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

wa27 posted:

Oh, was he out there saying that? I seem to remember him saying he was excited to return, and then he was surprisingly absent from the cast list.

That was the case, and then he suddenly couldn't do it, giving no reason why.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

moist turtleneck posted:

holy poo poo that little backwards talking dude is 97

Michael J. Anderson is 64 :eng101:

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Barreft posted:

If anyone likes the weirdness and mystery of Twin Peaks but hates how slow and boring it is, along with the creator jerking himself off with weird things that mean nothing just to appear "out there" or whatever, give Legion a try. It's just as weird but has a story and isn't filmed with 50% silence/staring every episode.

Not sure why you're posting in the Twin Peaks thread to tell Twin Peaks fans to watch another show because it's more palatable to a general audience. That's like telling someone who's really into Igor Stravinsky to stop listening to Le Sacre du Printemps and check out Die Zauberflöte.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Just watch the original show. Seriously. It'll make it easier to handle new mysteries when you have a baseline of familiarity.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

This suggests BOB is involved with DoppelCoop:

E:VVV Totally agree there.

TheMaestroso fucked around with this message at 17:18 on May 29, 2017

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

genericnick posted:

Sounds like bullshit. Did that actually happen to anyone we know? Leland only got possessed.

It's possible it happened to the guy investigating Theresa Banks' case. He completely disappeared.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

So, this is a cool interview. It also confirms that BOB is in BadCoop in some way.

http://ew.com/tv/2017/05/29/twin-peaks-kyle-maclachlan-dirty-cooper/

E: VVV I take it you haven't seen my posts using that as evidence for it (I even posted that picture in the last couple pages). I mentioned it because some people feel there's ambiguity in the new season as to whether or not BOB is in the DoppCoop.

TheMaestroso fucked around with this message at 03:07 on May 30, 2017

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Franchescanado posted:

Why would you feel bad about Frank Silva? He was a set dresser with dreams of wanting to be an actor. He accidentally showed up in a mirror, which could possibly get him fired, but Lynch decided to make him the central focus and villain of the whole universe. He appears in most of the episodes and he's terrifying. Guy got super lucky and then earned his place, good for him.

Lynch actually talked about how Frank became BOB in this video from ten years ago.

E:VVV Awesome. And it's nice to have corroborating stories!

TheMaestroso fucked around with this message at 14:11 on May 31, 2017

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Only asking here because it's the most likely to have knowledgeable answers. I saw MulhollNd Drive like 6 months ago and I couldn't get it. Like I get that either the first half is s dream or the second half is a dream or maybe both are half dreams, but while I still suppose I liked it, I still couldn't tell you what happened or what the blue box or the homeless woman (whose expression I just read was the actress making gently caress Me Eyes at David Lynch) really "mean," etc. Of Lynch's works I've seen Twin Peaks, FWWM , the past 4 eps of S3, Mulholland, and Eraserhead like 4 times because it's possibly my favorite movie.

So I'll watch the rest of his works, but are there any tips or recommended cliff notes guides of Mulholland Drive? I liked it and I know that you can never 100% understand one of his works, but I want to make sure I'll understand it fully as possible next time I watch it since it's a long movie and I'd like the next viewing to be my definitive one.
Or if some tips of things to focus on or think about when viewing would also be fine. Remember, I HAVE seen it I just don't know what he hell happened. Then I'll see Inland Empire I guess

Have you watched MD more than once? I think that would help a lot in trying to understand it (in your own way, anyway). It's a very dense film, so there's plenty of parsing what is real, fake, dream, etc. before you get to a place where it really clicks. I think the most pivotal point in the film in regard to this is the scene in the theater.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

kaworu posted:

You know, it's very funny reading the posts from Jerusalem, because (and I hope he's not reading this post yet) it's got to be very odd to go from FWWM and the end of season 2 straight into season 3. It just seems odd.

Mostly because the passage of time is such a critical aspect of the plot in season 3. One of the really difficult things that Lynch had to pull off, was he had to simultaneously acknowledge the passage of time - how could he not? Actors age and even if they didn't you couldn't just pick right up with Cooper in the bathroom after 27 years. It wouldn't do!

But at the same time, time also seems to have been standing still - to me, that's almost part of the point of the Red Room. I think it's important to refer back to Inland Empire in this case, because I imagine that time flows in The Red Room (and perhaps in season 3 itself as a whole) probably a great deal more like it does as Grace Zabriskie describes it in a scene from that film. "Why, if it was 9:45, I would think it were after midnight!"

I cannot entirely wrap my head around what I'm trying to say, but I feel like what we had been witnessing was part of something cyclical and important and expected, and I think Cooper-BOB's actions are throwing things out of whack in ways that will gently caress with the fabric of the barrier between reality and whatever sort of dimensions or world(s) Agent Cooper was moving through from the moment he entered at Glastonbury Grove to the moment he exited a power outlet 25 years later.

I'm also still unclear about the oft-repeated query, "Is it future? Or is it past?" If you forgot, this is also a question that The Arm asks Cooper twice in FWWM (or Missing Pieces, I forget). Regardless, it's a significant question in the Red Room, and I think it may be an even more significant question in "The purple room" or where-ever that was. Perhaps it's an even an important question in reality in some way we don't quite understand, yet.

Something I paid close attention to when watching the first few episodes of S1 was the first dream sequence in the Red Room. In that dream Cooper has aged noticeably, lending credence to the mantra "Is it future, or is it past?"

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Fados posted:

Not really, Coop is pretty much completely defeated by Window Earle at the end of the second season and enters the lodge with 'imperfect courage' (worried about Annie) which means he gets used and imprisoned. He also gives Laura bad advice (not to take the ring), which she ends up ignoring in the end, and manages to 'save' herself from being possessed by Bob.

How is this your interpretation when Earle is shown to be caught by BOB? Coop just has a chase with his doppel for a bit and gets lost. Quite a bit different, I would say.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Kulkasha posted:

He loses Annie and is forced to enter the most dangerous thing in existence to try to save her (and fails - the Lodge arbitrarily spits her back out, not Cooper). Cooper is forced to obey Earle and is clearly saved in this regard by BOB getting mad. He then fails to stand up to his shadow and is lost for 25 years. That's pretty clearly a failure.

He didn't get destroyed like Earle did. That's the difference I was talking about.

quote:

BOB would have dealt with Earle one way or the other and I doubt Annie's fate would have been any different (is she even alive after FWWM?).

They show her in the hospital, alive, and then the resident nurse sees the ring on her finger and takes it.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Fados posted:

So now, 25 years later, he's reborn again, gets another chance at understanding this primordial evil. I think reborn really is the apt term, I now think that purple transition zone is some kind of womb, with "Mother's" door knocking it's beating irregular heart. He's then learning how to go to potty, needs someone to put his shoes on, and is learning how to speak through imitation.

I really kinda love this interpretation.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Kulkasha posted:

It's a Twin Peaks tradition!

That aside, why do television series shooting locations always default back to SC more often than not? The only real exceptions are other urban areas (NYC, Miami) but I can't imagine that shooting in say South Dakota or rural Washington would cost that much more.

Considering it was shot over the course of about 8 months (Sept. 2015 - Apr. 2016), I would imagine cost was a real factor as well as actor availability. The cast is enormous, after all.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

So last week I started a knitting project (after a fair amount of planning and getting excited about the new season), so I figured I'd post the imgur gallery and update it periodically. It's going very well so far, and much quicker than I expected!

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Jacoby's shovel scam is the best payoff for that mystery I could've hoped for.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I don't get that at all! Weird.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Clouseau posted:

Also, Mike Nelson was listed in the credits- was he the dude who gave the interview?

HOLY poo poo HE IS

Wow, that takes that scene to a whole new level.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

eSporks posted:

This episode solved none of mysteries or questions. and it's awesome

E:

TheMaestroso fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jun 5, 2017

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

moist turtleneck posted:

I just thought Cooper was sad because he realized he was as braindead as his kid

Like that kid was just staring forward with his mouth open

His mouth was closed.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

TheBizzness posted:

"He's Lying" definitely seemed to be Cooper and not Zombie Dougie.

Agreed. That moment stunned me silent when it happened!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

tap my mountain posted:

Nah the guys he owes money to were the guys wearing black in the black car. That's why they fell for the carbomb.

No, they're just assholes who cased an abandoned car, came back to check on it the next day, then decided they were free to steal it.

We actually have no info on who is supposed to get the 50k. The assassins clearly aren't, otherwise they wouldn't have been trying to kill Dougie from the get-go. Their mission appears to just be "kill Dougie at first chance."